Yonex EZONE Hybrid - Forum Testing Review

Went to the range last night and it was business as usual for the Yonex. A nice tempo resulted in straight shots that flew high. It's amazing how much easier this club is to hit than my old 18* Nike Sumo hybrid. The club is holding up nicely as well as the headcover. I know some had concerns about the velcro piece on top of the headcover with the club number and if it would fall off or not, but I have not had a single issue with it.

OK folks... Here is another mini-review piece for my "specialty shot" section.

To refresh your memory, I have put this club through the ringer on several different shots that would only be used in those one-off type of circumstances. Though these shots are only needed once in a blue moon, they are important nonetheless. Thus far I have tested the club in the following circumstances: (i) the "hybrid-chip" up an short grass embankment to the green; (ii) a long fairway bunker; (iii) the-bend-around-a-tree-shot (both super fade and super draw); and (iv) the into the strong wind shot.

This specialty shot is the downhill/uphill lie shot.

Update # 3(b) mini update

This Specialty Shot: B+. I was curious as to how this club would perform in the circumstances where there was a significant uphill or downhill lie in the fairway. I have wanted to try this shot on the golf course for some time now, but hadn't had the oppotunity to play a course with undulating fairways that was empty enough to spend some time in the same spot. Then, I realized that one of the courses around here is a links style course with incredibly undulating fairways and, most importantly, has 2 practice holes with the same type of fairways. So I made my way to the course, warmed-up at the range and went directly to the practice holes. I skipped the tee box and found a great little miniature valley in the fairway that was the appropriate amount of distance from the green to hit the Yonex EZONE hybrid.

Just based off of past experience with this club, I hypothesized that I would be very happy with the uphill shot results and moderately happy with the downhill shot results. My hypothesis was accurate.

I hit about 12-15 shots from the uphill fairway lie. I straightened my left leg a bit more than usual so as to make my swing consistent with the slope of the hill and I swung with my normal fairway swing with this club. The result was a nice, high draw that landed softly just short of the green. The rest of the shots from this lie were all nice high ball flights that landed softly on or near the green (with one that I snapped-hooked due to user's error). I was very happy with the ball-flight on these shots and I was very confident that it would perform well in this situation during an official round.

I then proceed about 7 yards back to get onto a downhill lie. This was a difficult lie because the fairway proceeded to go back "up" about 6-7 yards down the fairway. It was intimidating to say the least, especially with such a low lofted club in your hands. It would be unlikely that your ball would actually come to rest in that spot without going to the bottom, but hey, this is testing right?!? I straightened my right leg and bent my left leg a bit more than usual so as to swing consistent with the slope. I let one rip.... it was a low bullet that barely made it over the slight slope directly in front of me and then proceeded like a bullet and then ran about 50-70 yards until it ran out of steam about 15 yards short of the green. The next couple came off the same way. Then, on the 4th shot I actually hit the slope in front of me. I decided I needed to get a higher trajectory, so I tried hitting slight fades. This led to a slightly higher ball flight, but still fairly low. These were getting very close to the green (up-an-down territory), so I was moderately happy with these results.

The downhill test corresponds to previous findings. I love the distance with this club and am fairly happy with the accuracy off the tee and in the fairway. While I like the piercing ball flight, I wish it was just a bit higher ball flight for those delicate shots.

Till next time...

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice job Interlooper. I played another round with My Ezone. I really love the way it plays.I chose to use it in all kinds of shot I normally wouldnt use a hybrid. The one place I have decided not to use is off the tee, I have found thatI have beeter shoots with a wood over my Ezone. Off the tee I getting more of a hook. I have chipped around the green as well. Im really enjoying the hybrid,,,

Great update, looper.

I went and played 36 holes over the weekend with a couple THPer's MarcW and Brock. I had the opportunity to hit the "DRAGON" on quite a few different shots. Nothing out of the normal. But they were a little different from what I have been able to hit lately.

Had to hit a nice little bump and run shot after an errant tee shot left me under sometrees. I thought for sure it was lost, but we actually found it. Marc was my riding partner during the second round when this happened. Took a nice putter stroke and hit it a little too soft. Ball flew about 10 ft thru the air about 3 ft off the ground bounced hard once in the grass then hit the cart path which then thru me all the way to the fairway. Wasn't a bad miss at all!

For the first time in a few weeks, I got to take full swing shots with it. I really like this shaft. Once on a par 3, it was about 165 with a dead wind in our face. I pulled the yonex took a good swing at it but pushed it to the right of the green. Luckily it was far enough to the right that I missed the green side bunker. I was in the sand a lot that day! Get to my ball and I was pin high, just 15 yds to the right of it in the rough. Another full shot was on a par 5 that I duffed my tee shot (had a ton of those that day too) At first I was gonna use my 3 wood and just try to crush it but there was a huge tree in front of me blocking the fairway. I decided to change my mind so I figured I'd just hit a nice high shot over a the huge tree. Went back and grabbed the Yonex put the ball a little back in my stance and just swung away! Nice high flight over the tree to the fairway! Great shot!

Another shot I yet again duffed my tee shot. I was under a tree that was in a row of trees to the right of the fairway. I had a full swing at the ball but had to get it up quick in order to make it back over the row of trees to the fairway. I was about 205 out. Grabbed the dragon and said to MarcW, I'm gonna try to go over the second tree towards the left side of the fairway. Put the ball a little back in my stance again, took a nice hard swing! Hit the ball right over the tree thru the fairway just a tad. I was about 3 feet off the fairway and about 5 yards short of the green! It was a good shot!

I really don't mind getting stuck under trees anymore. Sure it's not my optimal place to be but with the Yonex in my bag, I don't fret it anymore. This club works well for quite a few shots! It is a great addition to my arsenal. I have used it for full shots roughly 190 yds out. As punch shots out from under trees. As well as bump and runs from the fairway at about 30 yds. I'm not a worker of the ball so when I get in trouble I just rely on "THE DRAGON" with it's brut of a shaft to bail me out!

If any one has any questions for me please feel free to ask. I will do my best to answer them all.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Heck at one point in the round, Steve the guy riding with me, Brocks friend. Says to me are you doing toe touches??? Because I had a terrible lie that I hit with the Yonex pretty well. It looked like I was trying to do a toe touch as i was hitting the ball. It was that far below my feet. My hands were about 8" above my feet. And I actually got a nice hit out of it. This club is just awesome.

I'm really liking the sound of this hybrid from these reviews. Good job guys, I'm enjoying reading the updates. Looking at the sole of the club, it doesn't give the impression of necessarily being built for heavy lies, but it sounds like it excels from there.

Heck at one point in the round, Steve the guy riding with me, Brocks friend. Says to me are you doing toe touches??? Because I had a terrible lie that I hit with the Yonex pretty well. It looked like I was trying to do a toe touch as i was hitting the ball. It was that far below my feet. My hands were about 8" above my feet. And I actually got a nice hit out of it. This club is just awesome.

nice description. i had a lie like this over the weekend and i wasnt sure what to use and i ended up just pitching out. now i wish i had a Yonex lol

Update!

I lent my dad the Yonex this weekend to play with since he doesn't have a hybrid and can't hit his 3W well. To put it simply....I don't think I'm getting my Yonex back. :D

I saw him hit it on 4 occasions. First was a long par 5 from about 300 yards. He pulled it out and took a whack at it. This is his first time ever hitting a hybrid so he was a little unsure about the head shape. His face was a bit closed at impact and he hooked the first shot. He dropped another ball for practice and opened the face a little bit this time. BAM! 225 and straight as can be. This coming from a guy who hits his drives 240! He has a huge smile on his face and can't wait to hit it again.

He pulls it out again 3 holes later (another par 5) after his drive lands about 270 out. And yet again, BAM! 225 and straight at the pin. He mentioned that he loved the feel at impact and how it felt very crisp. He also noted that it made a very nice bright metallic sound. The next time he used it was on the 270 yard par 4 that's very narrow. He tee'd it up very low and ripped it right down the middle. Again distance was about 225-230. The last time he used it was on a 420 yard par 4. He hit his drive to about 190 and had to carry water the whole way. He said he was going to try to swing easy and drop one on the green. Naturally, he takes an easy swing and lands it softly on the back of the green.

I really enjoyed getting some feedback from him about this club. I'm going to have to pry it out of his hands to start playing it again.

Let me know if anyone has any questions!

The EZONE has become a permanent member of the family. It goes everywhere the other clubs go. It's like an afternoon rain in the summers of central Florida, predictable.
I've used the club in almost every situation you image. Just last week we gave 35-40 mph winds a shot. I hit it from 200 yds to a middle flag into a strong head wind. I figured I would bust it into the breeze and it would fall 10-15 feet short of the flag. It got up into that key stream and started climbing and almost seem to be falling backward after it hit it's apex. The ball feel 10 yds short of my intended target. It was hit solid but the wind just stood it up.
I dropped another in am attempt to lower the ball flight and turn it over. I lowered the flight of the ball but over cooked it pin high left. I was glad to see with the proper trajectory it could be hit through a fairly strong wind.
I pulled it again from 246 out on a par 5 down wind. I needed a high soft shot and my 4 iron wasnt going to stretch. I choked down three fingers and made a solid pass at the
ball. I landed just over the green side bunker and released to 20' right of the flag.
The shot I imagined was pulled off. I have so much confidence in the club, it's crazy.
I played today at Chateau Élan in Braselton, GA at my friends charity scramble. I had to use it twice on par 5s for second shots into greens. The wind was up again and this was an old tree lined GA course. I needed to be accurate and long.
My first was on an uphill 2nd shot from 240 with a stone wall fronting the green. I stepped on it and came up a few feet short. I hit it as well as I have since ive been testing it. It was one of those standing on my toes to get every ounce out of the shot. The ball sailed on a high trajectory but ran out of gas.
The second was from 260 and I needed a low hot draw. I left it out and it had to muscle it's way through some thick foliage. It feel short but the low bullet was there. The path was due to driver error, my error.
I would still take this club into battle everyday of the week. The solid hits are like butter, off center hits still perform well. It can be hit high or low, fade or draw. Punch, knock down, bump and run. It's a very versatile club!!!

Brought to by iPhone 4 powered by Tapatalk

Exciting to see all the positive reviews here,I remember hitting this baby at the outing, and hawk looked at me and said this i the mashie of the outing lol

Awesome reviews guys. Love hearing about this club.

Oh and interlooper that was one he'll of a review! Nice job :)

I really like the way that this will cut thru the rough. Not sure if it's cuz of the way the bottom of the head is sort of smooth or if it's the way the head makes it weighted but I don't seem to have a problem with long grass. The ball gets a nice high flight. So high that it's helped me get over quite a few trees that were too far out for a normal iron shot. I seem to hit this about as far as a 4 iron. This club promotes confidence with the way it looks at address. The red on the Nanopreme shaft just cries "FIRE AWAY".

When striking the ball it has a very crisp feel and a nice sound. I find it to be pretty forgiving. Even on mishits, there isn't much distance loss other than when you worm burn it.

My 3 favorite ways to use the Yonex are: 1. on 190 yds shots from any lie. 2. from 30-40 yds out for a bump and run from the fairway. 3. for punch shots under trees. This club is very versitile and seems to have a "SHAFT of Mass Distruction".

Feel free to ask any questions you like. If you guys are lucky enough to play a round of golf with me, feel free to swing away with the YONEX! So far I have had about 12 different people hit it. Some during league play and some just playing rounds with me. I have yet to have someone say they don't like the club.

In fact, when I played in the outing last week. One of the guys on my team after taking a swing with it. Kept trying to get us to take shots where we could use the Yonex. He hit it once and was in surprised how it felt. On the ones that we got to use it, I would hit, then hand it off to him. I think he mentioned using it about 8 or 9 times during the scramble.

To the YONEX Corp.

You definitely have a great product in your hybrids. I can't imagine what the rest of your equipment is like. When ever I get a chance or see some more of your products, I definitely won't hesitate to take a look and some swings! Keep up with the way you guys are upgrading technology, what ever it is your doing works for the "AVERAGE" golfer! I'm really hoping you guys are a prominant fixture at the 2012 outing so I can have a go with all your equipment. Man, I'd like to buy some of your Nanopreme shafts!:drool:

TO BE CONTINUED...

You know Bullfrog,The rough has been extremely rough in Tampa.With the rain I dont think they are able to keep up with the cutting. The Yonex doesnt seem to get stuck or twisted. It really is something.That isnt to say that I hit it pure everytime. But I do hit the ball out the rough better with it. There is nothing worse than swinging and having the club grip twisting in hand as the face grabs.To me it is one of the better Hybrids for my game. I have played The Mashie & R11 Rescue. This one plays for me better. I'm still learning from it. Sundays has been designated as 2 ball sunday. When it gets hit my other hybrid gets hit I switch which club gets hit first as to not being Bias.The rest of the times it just Yonex in the bag. I just learned a new shot that I can control with it. I put the ball all the way forward open the face And the ball goes very high with a nice controllable hook for when I hit a dog left. It works so I'll keep using it.

Nice job Interlooper. I played another round with My Ezone. I really love the way it plays.I chose to use it in all kinds of shot I normally wouldnt use a hybrid. The one place I have decided not to use is off the tee, I have found thatI have beeter shoots with a wood over my Ezone. Off the tee I getting more of a hook. I have chipped around the green as well. Im really enjoying the hybrid,,,

I have always struggled with choosing a club when the ball is resting against the fringe of the green. My go to was always picking an iron and hitting the ball on the equator. Today I hit this shot from various distances with the YONEX. I had varying results. If it was against the fringe from about 10-15 feet, I found that shot was a bit too delicate to be able to use the YONEX effectively. However, when the shot was approximately 20-40 feet from the pin, the YONEX was pretty effective to use like an elongated putter.

Went to the range last night and it was business as usual for the Yonex. A nice tempo resulted in straight shots that flew high. It's amazing how much easier this club is to hit than my old 18* Nike Sumo hybrid. The club is holding up nicely as well as the headcover. I know some had concerns about the velcro piece on top of the headcover with the club number and if it would fall off or not, but I have not had a single issue with it.

JT... How high is the trajectory as compared to other hybrids you have hit?

For me, the trajectory is slightly lower than my last two hybrids (which were both Adams). The YONEX trajectory is actually an advantage for me off the tee (which is where I love it the most). It has also been very effective for me in strong wind. I do wish, however, that I coud get a bit higher trajectory on the more delicate shots where I want it to land softly. My next session at the range will be working on getting more height from tight fairway shots.

Let me know your thoughts...

JT... How high is the trajectory as compared to other hybrids you have hit?

My trajectory has been slightly lower than with my Nike Sumo of the same loft that I used previously. I find that adjusting the ball position is an easy way to hit it high and soft or low and running. 1/2" forward for a shot that will land soft, and 1/2-1" back for a low running shot. I would try playin around with ball position in your next range session and see what you come up with. The EZONE has been flat out performing lately from tee to green. I really enjoy the little chip shots around the green if there is enough room for the ball to run out.

I have always struggled with choosing a club when the ball is resting against the fringe of the green. My go to was always picking an iron and hitting the ball on the equator. Today I hit this shot from various distances with the YONEX. I had varying results. If it was against the fringe from about 10-15 feet, I found that shot was a bit too delicate to be able to use the YONEX effectively. However, when the shot was approximately 20-40 feet from the pin, the YONEX was pretty effective to use like an elongated putter.

That is an awesome Idea I have putt with it but I like your thought of an elongated putter. I'm going to trying playing it like that this weekend. See how it works out. Have you found the ball further back when in rough works well but comes out as a Hook/big Draw?

My trajectory has been slightly lower than with my Nike Sumo of the same loft that I used previously. I find that adjusting the ball position is an easy way to hit it high and soft or low and running. 1/2" forward for a shot that will land soft, and 1/2-1" back for a low running shot. I would try playin around with ball position in your next range session and see what you come up with. The EZONE has been flat out performing lately from tee to green. I really enjoy the little chip shots around the green if there is enough room for the ball to run out.

Cool. Thanks for the info. I often place it a ball or two forward when I want to play the fade. That often gets the ball up faster and higher for me. I was playing a hard a fast prairie links style course about a week ago and was having to hit this shot nearly every time to get it to land softly. I will mess around with ball position a bit more tomorrow during the range session.

As for my next mini-review on Specialty Shots, there is going to be some heavy rains in the next couple days. I intend on hitting the "in the heavy rain from the rain soaked fairway" shots. If anyone would like me to test out some other specialty shots, on top of my general reviews, please let me know and I will see what i can do.

When using the Yonex compared to the TM Rescue 11 4, the ball definitely gets higher in the air with the Yonex. I mean I have tried to hit the TM at my home course over a bunch of different trees around the course just during normal play. Since I've gotten the Yonex, I have no problem getting over the same trees. Yes I don't get as much distance with the Yonex as I do the TM, however the TM is a 4 and Yonex a 5. So that would be the reason I think. As far as getting the ball in the air, It just jumps up off the Yonex. I don't have a problem with height on any of my clubs but the Yonex hits more like a 4 iron to me. But hey that's my opinion. Next update will include my thoughts a month into testing plus pictures of the way it has worn.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Today in league play, we are limited to using only 3 clubs. The Yonex is coming along with me and will see a wide range of shots, including putting! An update will come later tonight about how I performed with it.

When using the Yonex compared to the TM Rescue 11 4, the ball definitely gets higher in the air with the Yonex. I mean I have tried to hit the TM at my home course over a bunch of different trees around the course just during normal play. Since I've gotten the Yonex, I have no problem getting over the same trees. Yes I don't get as much distance with the Yonex as I do the TM, however the TM is a 4 and Yonex a 5. So that would be the reason I think. As far as getting the ball in the air, It just jumps up off the Yonex. I don't have a problem with height on any of my clubs but the Yonex hits more like a 4 iron to me. But hey that's my opinion. Next update will include my thoughts a month into testing plus pictures of the way it has worn.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Compared to the Rescue Club, how does the Yonex perform out of the rough for you? For me, in deep rough the YONEX performs very well when the ball is near the middle of the rough. I can hit pretty consistent shots with it in this condition. When it nestled down a bit, however, I find that it is best to come pretty steeply down with the YONEX and hit a low, drawing bullet that runs a ways.

Today in league play, we are limited to using only 3 clubs. The Yonex is coming along with me and will see a wide range of shots, including putting! An update will come later tonight about how I performed with it.

jef: If you get a chance/opportunity, try it on short, tight collection areas near the green. Instead of doing a bump/run with a wedge/iron, you should give the hybrid a go. I really liked how it came off the face with these shots. I don't typically hit this shot ever, but I have done it a few more times since testing this shot earlier. I have been satisfied with most of the results.

Compared to the Rescue Club, how does the Yonex perform out of the rough for you? For me, in deep rough the YONEX performs very well when the ball is near the middle of the rough. I can hit pretty consistent shots with it in this condition. When it nestled down a bit, however, I find that it is best to come pretty steeply down with the YONEX and hit a low, drawing bullet that runs a ways.

I don't seem to have a problem hitting it out of any rough. Wether its's nestled, sitting on top or just in the middle. Seems to work fine for me in those situations. Remember I have the 25* so I don't know if that has something to do with it. The TM Rescue 4 comes out of the rough just great. No hestiation or anything. If I would compare the two, I would say the the Yonex definitely gets the ball up fast out of the rough. For me it has sort of an iron flight where the TM rescue has more of a fairway wood flight to it. But maybe it's my swing. I can't hit that many variety of shots for example: Draws or Fades on purpose. I am more of a sweeper of the ball also. I find that if I just adjust where I have the ball in my stance a bit, I can hit the shot I need. I guess putting the ball back further in tight lies does put a steeper down swing. But for me I never hit this club low unless I am trying bumps and punches. Not that I try to hit it high, sort of always just goes up like an iron. If I could get it to go lower, i'm sure it would run further for me.

When I played with MarcW and Brock over the weekend, I had a really nice shot with it. My drive landed just off of the fairway in the rough past the first cut. I was about 185 out with a huge tree in front of me. The ball was sitting pretty tight in the rough. Took a hard swing the ball flew right over the tree to the green to the right of the flag. Hit and rolled out about 6-8 ft. If i remember right I was pin high. No matter what the lie for me, total confidence in the Yonex! And you all know how I feel about the Nanopreme shaft.

I hope I answered your question interlooper. You are doing an amazing job on your review. Are you a writer or journalist or something?

jef: If you get a chance/opportunity, try it on short, tight collection areas near the green. Instead of doing a bump/run with a wedge/iron, you should give the hybrid a go. I really liked how it came off the face with these shots. I don't typically hit this shot ever, but I have done it a few more times since testing this shot earlier. I have been satisfied with most of the results.

I will go out of my way to make sure that I take a few shots like this. I've never really thought about consistently doing a hybrid bump/run since in my eyes, it looks very awkward. I'll give it a go tonight and update with my findings.

Back