Yonex EZONE Hybrid - Forum Testing Review

glad everyone is hitting these good.. would love to demo one

This thing sounds like a beast! Glad everyone is hitting it so well

Yonex Hybrid 5 iron from THP

Yonex Hybrid 5 iron from THP

Bullfrog and I played today and the frog was chosen to demo the Yonex 5 Hybrid. The club felt solid at contact, however I felt it to be toe heavy . Same as many of the Hybrids that are out there. I hit it on a 173 yard par three and hit the green. Ball flight was good. With a soft ball it hit and bit with 6-9 feet of roll. Over all not to bad, not like- man that was the best club I ever hit!

Bullfrog and I played today and the frog was chosen to demo the Yonex 5 Hybrid. The club felt solid at contact, however I felt it to be toe heavy . Same as many of the Hybrids that are out there. I hit it on a 173 yard par three and hit the green. Ball flight was good. With a soft ball it hit and bit with 6-9 feet of roll. Over all not to bad, not like- man that was the best club I ever hit!

That's interesting. I'm finding that the club is very well balanced. I also have the 3 hybrid instead of the 5, but I don't think that would make a difference.

Thats cool not going to be good for everyone. It is the best hybrid I have ever played. The other is sitting in the garage. I have not even used my 3w. This club has been working for me very well. For my 3rd round today, It performed very well. I had 1 slight mis hit that was a small fade 225 out . It ended just off green. I expect things to get better as I better learn to work the club to different shots.
I have read about the price being a little high compared to others. Personally I would rather have a club that i played well instead of multiple clubs that I didnt. Friday round 4 with it

That's interesting. I'm finding that the club is very well balanced. I also have the 3 hybrid instead of the 5, but I don't think that would make a difference.

Gotta agree with you, IMO the head is very well balanced. BTW KJ Choi has one in his bag, he just hit it on 16 @ The Open Championship. Just nice to see this in play on the tour

Tapatalk'n from my iPad

Got to play yesterday with Danny P. I wasn't playing very well, he beat me like a red headed step child on the course. He shot a 79! I let him swing the Yonex. You guys already know what he thinks. If I play with any THP'ers, feel free to hit my Yonex, that's what it is there for... TESTING AND REVIEWS!

Hit it on a par 5 for my second shot and just creamed it! Went about 190 yards up directly where I was aiming. I have no issues with it, I seem to hit this club pretty good. I did have a little of a fade with it recently, but that's not the arrow but the indian. And I can play a little fade that's not a big deal. I don't know if it will continue that way or if I was swinging a little different, maybe I didn't keep my right elbow in enough. Not sure. I will let you guys know if it continues to happen.

I do agree it is a bit head heavy, but so is my R11 Rescue 4 Hybrid. The Yonex has a really crisp sound when struck well. I also noticed that I have hit it on the heel a couple times, and it still had pretty good flight as well as good direction. So, it is pretty forgiving on mishits IMO. The shaft again is still AMAZING!

TO BE CONTINUED...

Last edited:
Okay got to do some more bump and runs with this at the range. Couldn't really tell the roll because they didn't really have a putting green to do it on. So i guess it was more of bumps with the Yonex. I bumped about 20 balls towards a flag that was 60 yds out. At first I was trying to hit it with a putter stroke 1/3rd of the way to see what would happen and the ball would just bounce a few times and stop. But it's on the range itself, so what else should I have expected. So then I decided try and hit some 3/4 of the way there. and it worked out pretty good. I could see a shot like that used better than a punch shot out from under trees. When I tried to punch it on the course, I never closed the face and it flew almost straight up, so this would be more effective IMO. Just swing it more like a putter but with more force and you may have good results like I did. Now like I said this was on the range. It will definitely act differently when you bump it on to the fairway as far as in how it will react once it hits. I hope you guys understand what I mean. After that I tried to bump them all the way to the flag and couldn't quite get the distance down but it was fun trying. Had me laughing... :laughing:

TO BE CONTINUED...

Last edited:
Great write up BullFrog..I played today I am using it a lot more. It is my Go to club. I have been using it for all kinds of shots. Today hit it out Fairway sand bunker 175 yards. Granted it wasn't as far as normal but dang I don't hit anything out of sand 175 yards. So for me it will be used as needed when ever needed. I have to start tracking how many times I actually hit it Sat & Sunday rounds. It will be interesting. Right at this moment The Only negative I can write,is that I have no use for my other Hybrid or my 3 W.....Might have to trade in for some other Yonex club.

I got to hit 2 bump and runs with it on the course. The first time I was under a tree, stood at the ball like I was putting. Took a putter stroke like it was a 30ft putt and bam... :golf2: Ball popped up about 2 feet in the air flew about 10yds and rolled all the way thru the fairway. Stayed under the tree. If I would have tried a 25 ft putt it would have been perfect. The second chance I had, I was under another tree took the same stroke but with power for a 15ft putt and hit it to the middle of the fairway. This time it popped up about 1 foot in the air flew about 5 ft in the air and rolled about 15ft to the middle of the fairway. :joy: This definitely works a lot better than turning in a low lofted iron and punching it IMO. Still don't have any complaints about the club. But the head cover still isn't any more appealing to me plus it's starting to frey on the neck already.

I have not been able to play with my EZONE in over a week. I was away on business last week so no rounds under the belt. I did however manage two separate sessions on the range.
The first was with my dad, he was in the market for an entire set if clubs...driver to wedges. I mainly watched him hit club after club until he found what he thought he wanted. (another thread for another day) I finally pushed the EZONE into his hands and asked to hit. He looked at it and commented on the look of the club. He liked the the color scheme and the way it felt in his hands. He did comment that he felt it was a bit heavy. I found this odd since he was swinging some heavy clubs prior to his purchase.
He started swing the club, ball after ball each one different from the next. The only constant was the height of the ball, high. My dad has always been a low, head high, striker of the ball. Each shot he hit with the EZONE was high. The direction is not important, I think he evented some new ball flights. When he hit it the way he wanted he just kept saying, WOW! he asked if he could keep the club. I politely said no but I would keep my out. I can't remember my dad liking a club this much, I'll be on the look out.
I swung the club a dozen times, same result....a high fall off the table draw. Love the Dragon aka EZONE.
I wandered over to the range today with a buddy of mine today so we could catch up. He was breaking in a new set of clubs and we needed to catch up. I spent more time catching up than hitting, every shot he hit was pure. Center of the club face pure. He grabs the the EZONE and starts telling me he has heard a lot about the club but never hit one. Hemlocks over and them begins to click a few down range. Some high, some low all moving left to right. He comments on how easy it is to hit. I raves about the feedback from each strike of the ball. He pulls his phone and makes a note to call about getting one for himself. We chat a bit more then I hit a few low runners, taking a small divot each time. The ball flight is low and tight. When it hits the ground it runs like a Jack Rabbit looking for a hole.
The versatility of the EZONE is very noice. I'll be playing 3-4 times this week so I will have plenty to report.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The write-ups are looking great guys. I love playing that low hybrid bump-n-run. I spend enough time playing out from under trees that a shot like that is a must have for me. I think I'm playing a round with jefrazie in a couple weeks. Hopefully I'll get a swing or two with the Yonex.

Got to hit "THE DRAGON" on a few more bump n run shots as well as 2 from 185-190 out.

The bump n run shots, I'm getting a lot better with them using the Yonex. Just take a putter stroke and only change how far back you draw the club (depending on distance). It pops up and runs forever if you need it too. The first time I bumped it, I hit it a little too hard again and rolled thru the fairway, but still had a shot. Second time was perfect, flew about 10ft thru the air about 3 ft off the ground then rolled out about 25 ft to the middle of the fairway. One little branch was hanging down low enough for me to hit it but luckily i went just left of the branch and missed it entirely.

For the first shot out again about 185 with a little wind in my face. Took a nice easy swing and landed it on the right fringe. The pin was on the front left of the green. Was pin high just about 15ft right of the hole. The second time I hit it was on a par 3 165 yards with a back pin placement which made it about 180 with wind in the face. Put it about 20ft short and about 3ft left of the pin. Nice easy swing again. I also dropped about about 200 out on a par 5 and tried to "RIP" it to see what would happen. I pulled the heck out of it left, but the shaft of the club still didn't whip on me... I can swing it as hard as I can and still no whipping... :thumb: VERY NICE SHAFT! (Not to sound gay, eventhough there is nothing wrong with that... Seinfeld...LOL)

Nice updates guys. BF I like all the different shots you are trying with this.

Nice updates guys. BF I like all the different shots you are trying with this.

That's what testing is isn't it? Trying the club out in different scenerios and providing feedback on your findings... I think that's what testing is... LOL I'm really greatful to have been chosen to test the YONEX!

Update # 2(b) mini update

I wanted to do a mini-update before my next round of reviews. This is solely for my "Specialty Shot" category. As some of you know, I have tested/reviewed this club for a few specialty-type shots, including the "hybrid-chip" up an short grass enbakement to the green and a fairway bunker. The below is an update of another specialty shot: the-bend-around-a-tree-shot.

Specialty shots: A (Previous grade: A-). I was curious as to how this club would perform in the circumstances where a tree was in between my lie and the green. My natural flight with this club typically is a slight right-to-left flight. So, for my first test with the tree, I wanted to have to hit a POWER fade (slice).

I placed my ball in fairway length grass so that a large tree was about half the distance between my ball and the green. I expected the loss in distance due to the fade to be approximately 20-30 yards. I opened my stance a bit, flared my left foot and closed my right foot, and placed the ball about an inch forward in my stance as compared to usual placement. Then, I took my normal swing. The ball started left of the tree and bent around the tree, but not enough fade to hit the green. On the second swing, I did the same setup, but came in a bit more steeply and held off on the release. The result was a very high power fade that fading an appropriate amount, but I was short of the green. The third shot I did the same setup and swing, but didn't come in quite as steeply. The result was a high power fade that bent around the tree and landed on the front of the green. I hit about another 7 of these power fade shots with similar results: all bending around the tree and landing on or very near the front of the green. This was a pretty predictable ball flight and distance seemed to be about the same for each shot. I do think, however, that the loss in distance for me was closer to the 30-35 yard range as compared to my normal flight.

Next, I wanted to hit the power draw (hook) around the tree. I closed my stance, closed my left foot and flared out my right foot. I also placed the ball about 1 inch back in my stance as compared to usual. I took a normal swing, but with this setup. The ball started much further right than usual and came back to the left, but not as much as anticipated. I then squared my right foot and tried the same swing. The ball didn't start as far right, but still didn't get enough draw to get around the tree and onto the green. The next several shots I adjusted the stance and swing to where I was able to get a huge enough draw (hook) to get around the tree and on the green, however, I could not get much more than 25 feet in height on these shots. They were coming in hot and it was difficult to gauge distance and the amount of draw. I was able to land a few on or near the green, but it was not as predictable as the power fade shot. These shots actually were not difficult to hit, just difficult to predict the result. It was, however, encouraging to know that I would have this shot in the arsenal if the situation arose and I needed to hit this shot because the power fade shot around the tree wasn't available.

I wanted to do a mini-update before my next round of reviews. This is solely for my "Specialty Shot" category. As some of you know, I have tested/reviewed this club for a few specialty-type shots, including the "hybrid-chip" up an short grass enbakement to the green and a fairway bunker. The below is an update of another specialty shot: the-bend-around-a-tree-shot.

Specialty shots: A (Previous grade: A-). I was curious as to how this club would perform in the circumstances where a tree was in between my lie and the green. My natural flight with this club typically is a slight right-to-left flight. So, for my first test with the tree, I wanted to have to hit a POWER fade (slice).

I placed my ball in fairway length grass so that a large tree was about half the distance between my ball and the green. I expected the loss in distance due to the fade to be approximately 20-30 yards. I opened my stance a bit, flared my left foot and closed my right foot, and placed the ball about an inch forward in my stance as compared to usual placement. Then, I took my normal swing. The ball started left of the tree and bent around the tree, but not enough fade to hit the green. On the second swing, I did the same setup, but came in a bit more steeply and held off on the release. The result was a very high power fade that fading an appropriate amount, but I was short of the green. The third shot I did the same setup and swing, but didn't come in quite as steeply. The result was a high power fade that bent around the tree and landed on the front of the green. I hit about another 7 of these power fade shots with similar results: all bending around the tree and landing on or very near the front of the green. This was a pretty predictable ball flight and distance seemed to be about the same for each shot. I do think, however, that the loss in distance for me was closer to the 30-35 yard range as compared to my normal flight.

Next, I wanted to hit the power draw (hook) around the tree. I closed my stance, closed my left foot and flared out my right foot. I also placed the ball about 1 inch back in my stance as compared to usual. I took a normal swing, but with this setup. The ball started much further right than usual and came back to the left, but not as much as anticipated. I then squared my right foot and tried the same swing. The ball didn't start as far right, but still didn't get enough draw to get around the tree and onto the green. The next several shots I adjusted the stance and swing to where I was able to get a huge enough draw (hook) to get around the tree and on the green, however, I could not get much more than 25 feet in height on these shots. They were coming in hot and it was difficult to gauge distance and the amount of draw. I was able to land a few on or near the green, but it was not as predictable as the power fade shot. These shots actually were not difficult to hit, just difficult to predict the result. It was, however, encouraging to know that I would have this shot in the arsenal if the situation arose and I needed to hit this shot because the power fade shot around the tree wasn't available.

dang man, nice test! Good idea, sounds like this hybrid is right up your alley

That post id the definition of workability. I wish Gus wasnt lost so he could have read that

Great reviews gang!
I'd love to try one of those hybrids sometime.

I enjoyed reading that. Nice to see you can work the ball and with some practice, I see it being perfected.

I've never really found a use for chipping with the hybrid, but with everyone talking about it, I'm going to give it another go and see what I come up with.

Thanks for all of the great feedback everyone! Keep it coming.

Interlooper, that is one damn fine review post man.

Wow, that really was fun to read and super insightful. These EZONE's sound beastly.

Played today with one of closest friends and his dad. I only hit the EZONE twice, once in the front and once on the back.
The first stick was a slight low pull that found the left rough and the second was a high draw on 18 that finished on the right side of the fairway.
My buddies dad hit it a few times and his first comment was this looks like a very forgiving club. Sr. plays a low draw so I thought the club might help him out. After a few topped shots early in the round he settled in a hit some great mid height balls with the EZONE. He really enjoyed the way it felt coming off the face and how it ran forever after it hit the ground. He is currently play the Sonartec Hybrids I got for him years ago. He put in his christmas request after the round. We had a good laugh and then he said he was serious.
My buddy hit a few with it as well. He steps out of his swing prior to impact so a consistent direction is hard to come by. But he kept his lower body still a krushed some bombs that left the gravitational pull of the earth. He also hit a couple of sawed off cuts from 180, it blew me away...that is not his game at all. He really liked the height and the ease that he felt hitting 'The Dragon'. He also plays the Sonartec hybrids and woods. He can buy his own EZONE ;-)

Great write up guys. Interlooper, great way to test the club. I'm not sure I'm skilled enough to try those shots. But I will definitely give it a go the next time I play and there isn't someone beating down my neck behind me.

Great write up guys. Interlooper, great way to test the club. I'm not sure I'm skilled enough to try those shots. But I will definitely give it a go the next time I play and there isn't someone beating down my neck behind me.

You never know until you try, right? I was at a range when I attempted most of these shots (I also did some on-course testing of these shots). A range up north has a huge oak tree in the middle of it. Thus, I was able to spend ample time and focus on these shots. That was a good thing, because it took some time working on that power draw shot.

You never know until you try, right? I was at a range when I attempted most of these shots (I also did some on-course testing of these shots). A range up north has a huge oak tree in the middle of it. Thus, I was able to spend ample time and focus on these shots. That was a good thing, because it took some time working on that power draw shot.

These shots are really going to improve your game. I like the way you are testing the club.

I was able to sneek off to the range this weekend while on an anniversary trip and decided to try to hit some fades and draws since I am very confident in the straight ball with the EZONE. I have never been a great worker of the ball, so I figured this would be a good test for me and the club. I use the technique from one of the THP pro videos, so I don't alter my swing path at all. For a fade, I aim a little left and point the clubface at the target. The results were nice high fades that seemd to just drop out of the sky. The farther the clubface and my stance opened, the more the ball faded. It was really quite effortless. For a draw, I aimed right and again pointed the clubface at the target. The draws resulted in a shot that would run more and a lower ballflight, and again it was effortless. I simulated hitting from under a tree or needing to keep the ball low, but still fade/draw it. I could hit a low running draw with no problem, but the low fade was more challenging. The low fade shots all wanted to get up in the air. I will practice this shot more and see if I can get a different result. Tonight is league night so I should get a few shots with the EZONE!

Back