Adjusting the r11?

Coachfrizz

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 7.0
I have messed with adjusting it some, but mainly played it standard cause I have been hitting it well, but I want to take my 3 wood from 15.5 to 14.5, but the website say that will promote a fade and I don't want that. Have many of you guys lowered the loft and what were ur results like?

Lowering the loft will close the face a little. You can somewhat counteract that with weights. For some, the closed face will promote a fade. For some, the closed face will actually draw the ball. Best option is to do it, mess around with it for a week or so, and see how it works for you. It's easily undone!

Thanks Ice. I need to mess with it more, but with baseball season here finding time is tough and when I do I spend the whole round trying to get the rust off.

Lowering the loft will close the face a little. You can somewhat counteract that with weights. For some, the closed face will promote a fade. For some, the closed face will actually draw the ball. Best option is to do it, mess around with it for a week or so, and see how it works for you. It's easily undone!

Sorry IceJack, but you're wrong. Lowering the loft opens the face, which promotes a fade. If you want to lower the loft but still have a square face angle, take the ASP on the bottom of the club and set it to closed.

Sorry IceJack, but you're wrong. Lowering the loft opens the face, which promotes a fade. If you want to lower the loft but still have a square face angle, take the ASP on the bottom of the club and set it to closed.

What? Opened faces promote a draw... I may be wrong with the mechanics of the club but I know that an open face promotes a draw.

What? Opened faces promote a draw... I may be wrong with the mechanics of the club but I know that an open face promotes a draw.

I believe Mr. Dolphin is correct.

Nope, that is not true either, an open face would promote a fade, and helps try and avoid a hook if that is your miss.

I always thought an open face promoted a draw... I was told that you should have the face open to your feet but closed to the start line...

Well has anyone lowered the club a degree and if so how much of a fade were u seeing. I don't want to play a fade, but want just a little lower ball flight

I always thought an open face promoted a draw... I was told that you should have the face open to your feet but closed to the start line...

Right but you are manipulating the flight by your feet and shoulders being closed, so it's a little different. If everything is set up square, feet shoulders, and the face is set to open, it would lead more towards a fade. I think...

Right but you are manipulating the flight by your feet and shoulders being closed, so it's a little different. If everything is set up square, feet shoulders, and the face is set to open, it would lead more towards a fade. I think...
Correct.

I have a natural fade/slice and close the face on my R11 to counteract this, as well as weight in the heel

Well has anyone lowered the club a degree and if so how much of a fade were u seeing. I don't want to play a fade, but want just a little lower ball flight

it is like Dr. Dolphin said. If you want to maintain a more neutral ball flight, then decrease the loft AND set the ASP to closed. That will counteract any change in the club face angle that was made when the loft was decreased.

I'll try that dolphin, thanks

I have the r11 driver and 3 wood. Lowering the loft opens the face and puts a fade bias on the club. I have not noticed anything drastic about it but you can tell the club does want to go right. You can counter act that some by changing the ASP to the closed setting. Unfortunatly the 3wood doesn't have the weights like the driver so u can't mess with that.

I dropped my 3 wood from 15.5 to 15 and went from a slight draw to fairly straight with the occasional push. If it goes too far right for you then take it back to 15 from 14.5. It is really easy and quick to change, best thing to do is just mess with it and find what settings you like.

It's pretty simple open clubface promotes fade, closed clubface promotes draw. If you slice you want a more closed face to help and if you hook you want a more open face.

I have the r11 driver and 3 wood. Lowering the loft opens the face and puts a fade bias on the club. I have not noticed anything drastic about it but you can tell the club does want to go right. You can counter act that some by changing the ASP to the closed setting. Unfortunatly the 3wood doesn't have the weights like the driver so u can't mess with that.

I dropped my 3 wood from 15.5 to 15 and went from a slight draw to fairly straight with the occasional push. If it goes too far right for you then take it back to 15 from 14.5. It is really easy and quick to change, best thing to do is just mess with it and find what settings you like.

Good explanation of what u have noticed. Thanks. Most of my misses are draw-hooks, so a open face might be good for me

Did your friend with the +11 handicap tell you that :alien:

Techniqually a open face will promote a fade but many people end up hitting a draw because they brain tells their hands to compensate for the open face but due to the fact this is new for you body to have to make that correction you will hit a draw sometimes as you overcompensate for the open face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know enough to know what it does to the face, but on my R9 driver and both R11 woods I use the upright setting. After my irons were fitted 2 degrees upright I figured I'd play with them in that position for a while. I've loved the results so far.

Back