Golf stores (Online vs. Building)

calebt17

Reaction score
Handicap
Here's something I have been thinking about. My last few purchases with golf equipment and accessories have been online. I used the actual store as a reference point for what I was looking for then naturally found what I wanted online for a way better price than in the store plus free shipping.

Other than going to see the equipment and trying it out, does the store serve a purpose anymore?

What do you think? Where do you find yourself shopping more online or in the building?

I shop both places. I buy balls, gloves, tees, etc at the store. Clubs it depends as most of your stores will have the same prices on newer equipment, however, older equipment you can get cheaper online. My pro shop is actually where I will start buying most of my clubs, as they just lowered their prices to what the stores are selling for and I get 20% off of that.

I shop online more. Not just for golf things, but for a lot of things. Big and bulky (like appliances) not so much, although I bought my big TV online.

If the salespeople are helpful, friendly and knowledgeable and the price is pretty competitive, I'll buy in the store. It's always nice to have a purchase in your hands immediately.

I would say about 70 percent online 30 percent in the stores. Just depends on the item but things like balls, gloves and accessories almost always come from online.

People wonder why more and more stores are closing.

I buy from a brick and morter store for the customer service. Online lacks that.

I used to buy everything online, specifically e-bay. Now you never know who to trust anymore or if what you get will be authentic. You can find some great sales at some online stores from time to time. The 'brick and mortar' stores around me are not very good either.

The last pieces of equipment I bought I got at a local pro shop. After spending many weekend afternoons demoing clubs and fitting irons, I got to know the pro very well. So now anytime I need something I go to him and he gives me a deal. The irons I got were 20-25% below any online price I could find and the hybrid I bought was an old model so he gave it to me at cost.

I will get some small things online. Stuff like grips and gripping accessories, hats, shirts, and shoes can usually be found cheaper if you know where to look.

I'll go to an actual golf store to look at the item in person, and then see how it fits/works/etc...and I'll purchase it online. I can usually find the same item online for much cheaper :) but will go to a store for reference!

I buy from a brick and morter store for the customer service. Online lacks that.
I am with you on this one. I love being able to go into the store and handle the equipment, hit some shots into the net, try on shoes, etc. I find that hard to do with an online store and even if the deal is so much better online, the hassle if something goes wrong is not worth it when I can drive 5 minutes to my local store to have it fixed.

I do the same thing with my local dive shop. I give him the business whenever possible so I can still get my tanks filled. If everyone just used the stores just for trying stuff and then buying online, they will all eventually close down.

I'll go to an actual golf store to look at the item in person, and then see how it fits/works/etc...and I'll purchase it online. I can usually find the same item online for much cheaper :) but will go to a store for reference!
Stores will not continue to stay open if everyone did that.

I've purchased all my clubs online, specifically eBay. My clubs were pretty old when I bought them, and I bought them from reputable retailers (Callawaygolfpreowned, 3balls) so I'm certain they were authentic. I purchased my stand bag, balls, tees, accessories and with any golf-specific apparel and shoes from brick and mortar stores.

I do a little of both - online and in person. Whenever possible I try to buy from locally owned stores rather than chains. Not just for golf, but for most things.

The way I see it, it isn't ethical to use a store's facilities to see and try things out, then go online to different retailer to buy. If everyone did that there would be no brick and mortar stores left anywhere. I can't buy golf clubs without being able to swing them first, so I will go to a store to do that, then I will either wait for a sale, or buy from that store's website.

I have an additional issue now that I work at a golf course in that I can order straight from the manufacturer for cost plus 10%, and the pro shop obviously doesn't carry a full line of clubs. Before I bought my AP-2s I told the salesman in Golfsmith my dilemma and he said not to worry about it. As result I did try them in the store then ordered them direct from Titleist through the pro shop. At least I'm not giving a competing retailer the profit that should have gone to Golfsmith. Also, as a result of this policy, when I'm shopping for anything else I always go to Golfsmith first.

I buy from local golf shops. I like keeping my $ in the community and not sending it to any overbearing corporation. They have more passion for golf and want to make sure a person gets the right gear for their game, not just send a customer out the door with lighter pockets. Cheaper doesn't mean better!

The way I see it, it isn't ethical to use a store's facilities to see and try things out, then go online to different retailer to buy. If everyone did that there would be no brick and mortar stores left anywhere.

I agree. I wouldn't feel right using one shop's clubs, knowing I woud go somewhere else to buy them.

Clothes are the only thing I do this with!! But for clubs, bags, other equipment stuff, I'm at Golfsmith!! We're frequent-ers there :D We're in there about once a week!! No reason to knock me down entirely...I just like to bargain shop for clothes...usually can find them MUCH cheaper at tgw.com :D

if there are no more stores...

if there are no more stores...

I agree biggsy there has to be a small price paid for having a place to go and check out the new equipment. Golf stores cannot survive on only golf balls (very small mark up) and accessories.
I'm just like everyone else and want to pay the lowest price but sometimes there is a price that has to be paid for service and the ability to test drive equipment.
Plus I have always found that in the end the relationship that you build with your local golf shop will pay off in the end. When you are in the market for a new driver or set of irons they will always sweeten the deal with the grips you want and usually a good discount on things like a box of golf balls or some new shoes. Online cannot do that for you.

As far as golf items go, I purchase most, if not all of my high dollar stuff on line. Smaller stuff like tees, gloves, and other mbs, I get from the local box stores. I too use local stores are a testing area, then if I decide I want the product I call my online store. I only use a couple of online stores for the most part. I have complete trust in them as far as pricing, and service before, and after the sale.

Something I found funny was a catalog item I wanted from one of the larger golf, and tennis outlets. While in Texas a few weeks ago I went to this store to purchase this catalog item. Although they had the item, I could not purchase it at the lower, catalog price. Their reasoning was that their company's catalog pricing came out of one of there stores, that was a couple of hundred miles farther south. I wound driving down the street to a different sports outlet I was not familiar with, and found the same item, at less than the catalog price. I am now on that company's mailing list.

Clothes are the only thing I do this with!! But for clubs, bags, other equipment stuff, I'm at Golfsmith!! We're frequent-ers there :D We're in there about once a week!! No reason to knock me down entirely...I just like to bargain shop for clothes...usually can find them MUCH cheaper at tgw.com :D
Glad to hear. :banana:

I won't even purchase clothes at the local golf store, I just go to the Nike Factory store down the street and pick up last year's models.

I do some of both. If you give me great service--particularly if you take me seriously in a golf store--you have my business forever.

sales tax in my area is 9.75%

if I order from an online vendor without a brick and mortar presence in my state, that's almost a 10% savings right there

being left handed, most anything I want would have to be special ordered anyway, so if it's got to be ordered anyways why pay the extra money?

I'll visit local brick and mortar shops to look at RH clubs, to see if they fit my eye, but if the local store doesn't want my business bad enough to stock LH items then they're not going to get my business regardless of pricing.

if I order from an online vendor without a brick and mortar presence in my state, that's almost a 10% savings right there

being left handed, most anything I want would have to be special ordered anyway, so if it's got to be ordered anyways why pay the extra money?

I'll visit local brick and mortar shops to look at RH clubs, to see if they fit my eye, but if the local store doesn't want my business bad enough to stock LH items then they're not going to get my business regardless of pricing.

Are you from LA, because that's how much our tax is here :D

Are you serious? You make up 7% of the market,there is no way stores or I will stock a ton of LH stuff.
RH's at least buy stuff.LH's biatch and moan about how there never is enough stuff.If you guys would buy, more would be carried by stores.

Our local golf stores are very proud of the OEM equipment they sell. So proud in fact, their pricing is about 15% higher than on line pricing for the same product. That is even before adding in the state's/county's 8.10% sales tax. My next issue with our local golf equipment outlets is service before, and after the sale. Sadly lacking for the most part. If you are standard length, and/or standard lie, you are in for a rude awakening. Finally, they don't stock, or sell the brand of clubs I prefer to play, due to larger OEM contractual issues. They can order what I want, but then again so can I. Why bother. No manufacturers are going to force me to purchase their product. :D

I really depends on what I am buying. Gloves, balls, tees ect. I normally purchase online. I also stick with the big online stores: TGW, GG & Golfsmith. As for clubs I have not had much luck online and wasted $$$ so I buy them in a golf store and only after I have a demo on a out door range.

For other purchases I buy more stuff online: Cigars 90% online and wine its 50/50.

I buy mostly in stores. Equipment is mostly at Roger Dunn because of their great return policy. If you don't like it within 90 days, you can return it for full store credit. I won't buy anything off of ebay because you don't know if it's authentic or stolen. I'm not supporting any crooks. Even if they're a power seller, you don't know if the merchandise was shoplifted or not.

Back