That’ll work brother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I am falling out of love with the sous vide.

I have cooked steak every which way and at every temperature and time combination and just never had a result that I have been in love with. I will take a properly grilled steak over a sous vide steak any day.
I tried 72hr sous vide short rib last night at a very nice restaurant and it was fine, but not mind blowing like the internet will have you believe - probably a nicely braised/roasted one would have been as good or better.
I did a 10hr prime rib that was pretty good, but again, the oven would probably have given me as good or better results in half the time.

The only areas where the sous vide has a MARKED improvement over traditional cooking technique (barring a smoker since I don't have one) that I have seen are:
- Top Sirloin Cap/Tri-Tip @ 135F for 2-3hrs: since these are thicker cuts than steaks and have really wonky shapes so the sous vide helps prevent the triangular tips from turning brown.
- Chicken breast @ 145F for 1.5-2hrs: this is what I tell anyone who buys a sous vide to try first
- Pork tenderloin @ 140-145F for 1.5-2hrs: same as the chicken breast.

For whatever biological/structural reason, cooking chicken breast and pork tenderloin at those temps yields a delightful texture and juiciness that is unparalleled to any other cooking method. However with any steak I have played with from 0.5" thick to 2" thick, I always end up with meat that is just too firm all the way through (from 115F-140F) and lacks the textural contrasts that I love in a good steak. Also I always find that any beef that isn't classified as a roast to come out dry compared to its grilled counterpart - even when working with heavily marbled wagyu.

I picked up an Anova 4 years ago and have been using it for a number of things including countless steaks. I decided to try a steak on my charcoal grill (Primo) which I used to do and man...it was night and day. The flavour of the smoke, the bite and chew. I think I know what you mean about the texture. Steak for me, at least cuts like ribeyes, strips, and skirts I find better grilled. I don't need the benefits sous vide imparts on them.

On the topic...has anyone tried these reusable Stasher sous vide bags?

My sister just asked me about sous vide. Ever since having a baby she has had a hard time finding time between the baby and work (she has a full time job) to get dinner on the table. She’s been doing a lot of dump meals in the crockpot but she’s getting tired of them. She was thinking about getting a sous vide, but she wants to know if she can let the meat cook all day while she is at work? Does anyone have any experience with that?

My sister just asked me about sous vide. Ever since having a baby she has had a hard time finding time between the baby and work (she has a full time job) to get dinner on the table. She’s been doing a lot of dump meals in the crockpot but she’s getting tired of them. She was thinking about getting a sous vide, but she wants to know if she can let the meat cook all day while she is at work? Does anyone have any experience with that?

yes, kinda. there are definitely long cooks you can do. but not everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Depending what kind of meat you cook, it can be overcooked. I've cooked bacon and ribs for 24 hours, but for steaks: You can leave a tender steak (strip steak, fillet, flank, etc.) in the bath for up to 4 hours without any noticeable loss of quality. Longer than that, however, and “tenderness” will begin to give way to “mushiness”. While the steak can’t overcook with respect to doneness, it can cook for too long.

https://sansaire.com/cook-steak-sous-vide/

I've forgotten chicken for over 4 hours and it definitely turned mushy.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
RatFink;n8881036 said:
[URL]https://www.seriouseats.com/2019/08/peanut-butter-sous-vide-steaks.html[/url]

Published testing on the peanut butter steak idea. I don't think it's something I will ever try myself.

so a guy who doesn’t sous vide steak cooks a steak sous vide. at far too low a temp i might add. then he burns the sh1t out of it. then he tells people some steaks have peanut butter. got it. :eyeroll:

i’ve done the pb and would disagree with his results. that said, i might do it again but might not. it wasn’t something that is a must-do going forward. more a fun thing to try if you’re feeling adventurous. and cook a “normal” backup steak just in case haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: JB
I don't know if I would call that burnt to a crisp. It's pretty typical of any direct heat to sugar infused marinade from what I've seen. I'm with him on the sous vide steak texture - while straight BBQ'ing steaks I have found that my finished internal temp is about 110-115F which helps vastly with the texture compared to one that is cooked 130-135F all the way through. I find those to be too firm.

But really the main takeaway is:
Regardless, the only thing that matters for our current test is that tasters did not identify either of the steaks coated in peanut butter as the most tender, which seems to provide a definitive answer to the question we were trying to test. Does coating your steak in peanut butter and cooking it sous vide produce the most tender steaks? No.

I don't think I would try the peanut butter idea, I typically stick to a basic salt/pepper seasoning when I sous vide my steaks. Always great results whichever way I decide to finish them up for crust.

Couple of steaks from Porter Road cooking then will be thrown on the grill at 1000 degrees to finish

B5AAA7C7-BB85-4C0C-AFCA-D9DDD93319FC.jpeg

Couple of steaks from Porter Road cooking then will be thrown on the grill at 1000 degrees to finish

View attachment 8921263
Nice! Love my sous vide. Just did some chicken breasts yesterday which was then finished on grill and shredded for salads for our lunches this week.

My prime rib for Christmas was also done via sous vide and then finished under the broiler. Best prime rib I have ever made.

Also, if your cooking for longer than 2 hours I suggest a set up like this with a lid.

1578350386055.jpeg

I then added this pot lid organizer from Ikea to hold my meats in the water. CAn remove the upright rods to account for various width of steaks or chicken etc.

variera-pot-lid-organiser-stainless-steel__0626878_PE693056_S5.JPG

I need help. I’m looking at getting one and there are too many choices. Why would I not go with the $99 Anova and instead go with one that costs 2x or 3x? Don’t they all just really heat water?

I need help. I’m looking at getting one and there are too many choices. Why would I not go with the $99 Anova and instead go with one that costs 2x or 3x? Don’t they all just really heat water?
Anova has been perfect for my use the last few years. (y)

Anova has been perfect for my use the last few years. (y)
Thanks. i ordered an open box Nano for $85 - little investment if I don’t like it.

i haven’t read anything to confirm why a more expensive unit is preferred. our anova works great. but it’s pretty much just a steak cooker for me. we tried a bunch of different meats and enjoyed them, but pretty much stick with traditional methods.

i haven’t read anything to confirm why a more expensive unit is preferred. our anova works great. but it’s pretty much just a steak cooker for me. we tried a bunch of different meats and enjoyed them, but pretty much stick with traditional methods.
Thanks. For the most part, I’m going to use it for reheating smoked meat that I’ve vacuum packed and froze.

Thanks you made me really hungry haha

what do you want to know? Easy prep easy cleanup was great when I was going in an office
Looks like the ones we make in muffin tins. Anything different in the SV version?

And arrived. Man I love amazon free same day.

b289b8d733ee926e18ecc2ef9214b8ba.jpg

f02b81c4b704ef6f68addae3a273ea12.jpg

I’m know this is old, but someone else brought this thread back. I love Sous Vide cooking.

The closeness to this kitchen matching mine are fracking eerie. If you put my dishwasher where your stove is, it’s a dead match. Well y’all’s is a little cleaner than my bachelor paradise, but.....

Luckily y’all moved, lol. It’s crazy similar.

Back