2019 Weight Loss and Nutrition Thread

I have got to get control of things. I have ballooned to a size that honestly makes me sick, I am so disgusted when I look in the mirror that I just stopped looking because I don't recognize myself anymore. I just can't seem to get myself motivated to eat right and work out. I don't know what happened that made me totally lose it, but it's been gone for almost a year (with pockets of it coming back here and there) and it's really taking a toll on my body. I have to do something though, I come from a family with major health issues, and if I don't do something soon I will end up with high blood pressure, diabetes and high cholesterol.

I said this week was the week, then yesterday I ate a burrito and chips and queso for dinner, a bagel for breakfast this morning and the rest of my burrito for lunch. All terrible, all nutritionally void, and I am sure I am already past my calorie intake and it's 1pm. I am so discouraged. I need my freaking motivation back!!

I have got to get control of things. I have ballooned to a size that honestly makes me sick, I am so disgusted when I look in the mirror that I just stopped looking because I don't recognize myself anymore. I just can't seem to get myself motivated to eat right and work out. I don't know what happened that made me totally lose it, but it's been gone for almost a year (with pockets of it coming back here and there) and it's really taking a toll on my body. I have to do something though, I come from a family with major health issues, and if I don't do something soon I will end up with high blood pressure, diabetes and high cholesterol.

I said this week was the week, then yesterday I ate a burrito and chips and queso for dinner, a bagel for breakfast this morning and the rest of my burrito for lunch. All terrible, all nutritionally void, and I am sure I am already past my calorie intake and it's 1pm. I am so discouraged. I need my freaking motivation back!!

i'm sorry. i know how that feels. the encouraging thing is you know you have the ability to be disciplined. and you know you hate the way you feel right now.

i'm sorry. i know how that feels. the encouraging thing is you know you have the ability to be disciplined. and you know you hate the way you feel right now.

I absolutely have the ability to be disciplined, that's what is upsetting me the most, that I can't get there again, I keep trying but it never lasts. I'm not looking for perfection, I don't expect to be a size 0 again and look like I did in my 20's, I am realistic, but I can't keep on the path I am on right now. I will for sure have diabetes within the next 10 years if I let this keep going. My mom, dad and uncle all have it. My dad is currently in stage 3 kidney disease because of it. I need to just stop being so effing lazy and get to work!

I absolutely have the ability to be disciplined, that's what is upsetting me the most, that I can't get there again, I keep trying but it never lasts. I'm not looking for perfection, I don't expect to be a size 0 again and look like I did in my 20's, I am realistic, but I can't keep on the path I am on right now. I will for sure have diabetes within the next 10 years if I let this keep going. My mom, dad and uncle all have it. My dad is currently in stage 3 kidney disease because of it. I need to just stop being so effing lazy and get to work!

I know exactly how you're feeling. Being healthy and fit has always been a priority for me, but the last couple years (my first years in my 30s) I had just ballooned up big time. I was appalled when I saw my face in the 'THP Championship video, but I still didn't dare step on a scale, and being that out of shape actually made me want to work out less. For me, it took two major life moments to get my discipline back. First, a herniated disc that cut my golf season short. That event got me back to working out regularly to build up my core strength so I could keep golfing. Second, I got dumped four years into a relationship. That event got me to eat well again. The combination has helped me drop the 30 pounds I gained, and I feel great. The good news is, once you get back it back, you want to keep it so eating well and working out become so much easier. You already have the mindset to do it, which is the big first step. Good luck, GG--you've got this!

Cut the carbs... seriously.

Somewhere above someone was like oh I have. Sandwich ( no cheese).... no cheese?! Eat the cheese and skip the bread that’s causing massive inflammation and a myriad of health issues.

If you lived with me for a month you’d really scratch your head as how I’ve lost 100 lbs in less than a year.

Carbs and sugar... they’ll destroy you.

318e9b1eab42809639388caa64eb7ba7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve reached the point that I need to get back to eating the right things and working out more. The time has come - now I just need to maintain motivation. Always the hard part but something needs to change

Cut the carbs... seriously.

Somewhere above someone was like oh I have. Sandwich ( no cheese).... no cheese?! Eat the cheese and skip the bread that’s causing massive inflammation and a myriad of health issues.

If you lived with me for a month you’d really scratch your head as how I’ve lost 100 lbs in less than a year.

Carbs and sugar... they’ll destroy you.

318e9b1eab42809639388caa64eb7ba7.jpg

that’s truly inspirational!!! job well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’ve reached the point that I need to get back to eating the right things and working out more. The time has come - now I just need to maintain motivation. Always the hard part but something needs to change

I feel ya, I am in the same place. I food prepped and bought all healthy stuff over the weekend so I have no excuses for eating well this week. The working out hasn't happened yet, but I'm working on that. Good luck!!

I’m pretty good about working out now. Over a year and a half of working out 4 to 5 days a week, with some heavy cardio on 2 or 3 of those days. Haven’t felt this good in awhile. At a perfect weight and fitness level.

I am doing fine on nutrition, but want to take it up a notch. I really want to start to cut out on sugar. Added sugar is just so bad for you, I think I’m slowly going to cut out sweets.

For me, the 16/8 fasting diet works really well. I skip breakfast and only eat between noon and 8 pm but don't have to count calories. I initially started it about 18 months ago, and initially, I skipped breakfast about six days a week. After 12 weeks of that, I had lost about 12-15 lbs, and then I went to 4-5 days a week on the diet for another month to lose my last couple of pounds. After those four months of skipping breakfast, I found myself not wanting to eat much in the morning which means my routine is to skip breakfast a couple of days each week and on the other days eat something light such as two eggs or yogurt. A piece of Dave's Killer Bread toasted with peanut butter is another staple in the morning.

That was over a year ago, and I've held my weight within a couple of pounds either side of 180 lbs.(just shy of 6' tall) since then. If I gain a couple of pounds, usually when we are entertaining or traveling, and I'm eating/drinking to much, I go back to skipping breakfast for four or five days, and I'm back down to my target weight. I do lift weights 3-4 days a week and also walk, paddle, or cycle a few days a week along with my golf.

I lift weights 4-5 days a week and also do various forms of cardio. I have been Keto for a year and a half with an occasional cheat meal once a month or so. I just started 16/8 intermittent fasting about 2 weeks ago and I am pretty close to my goal weight which is 185-190. It seems to be helping with the last 5-10 lbs.

I'll make 3 eggs and some form of meat for breakfast at 10am then have a small snack around 1pm with dinner usually at 5-530pm. I don't eat any calories from 6pm to 10am. My wife follows this as well without the working out part although she does walk on her lunch break.

Well I got in the gym today and ate pretty well - off to a decent restart.

I absolutely hate the way my eating has degraded the past year at my new job.

Fast food. Soda. Candy. Ice Cream. If I don''t take lunch to work, I eat absolute garbage. Too much sugar, too much salt.

Evening meals are generally healthier (because I am with the family). Eating more meat and vegetables..... but still not enough veg.

Gotta make some changes before I end up with serious health issues.

I absolutely hate the way my eating has degraded the past year at my new job.

Fast food. Soda. Candy. Ice Cream. If I don''t take lunch to work, I eat absolute garbage. Too much sugar, too much salt.

Evening meals are generally healthier (because I am with the family). Eating more meat and vegetables..... but still not enough veg.

Gotta make some changes before I end up with serious health issues.

Yeah, no way around the sugar... that stuff is plain bad for you.

The salt though... don’t avoid salt, avoid cheap table salt. Load your food with salts rich with minerals like a real high quality Celtic sea salt, pink Himalayan salt, or Real Salt by Redmond’s.

Take the first step man, that’s the HARDEST part

I lift weights 4-5 days a week and also do various forms of cardio. I have been Keto for a year and a half with an occasional cheat meal once a month or so. I just started 16/8 intermittent fasting about 2 weeks ago and I am pretty close to my goal weight which is 185-190. It seems to be helping with the last 5-10 lbs.

I'll make 3 eggs and some form of meat for breakfast at 10am then have a small snack around 1pm with dinner usually at 5-530pm. I don't eat any calories from 6pm to 10am. My wife follows this as well without the working out part although she does walk on her lunch break.
Just started IF myself this week. 16/8, only eat between 12 noon and 8 pm. Going pretty good so far. No hunger issues yesterday, but I was a little hungry this nothing around 10.

I'm also cutting sugar, which cuts out a lot of my snacking because I'm a candy lover. That's usually difficult for me, but after a week it two it gets easy.

Just started IF myself this week. 16/8, only eat between 12 noon and 8 pm. Going pretty good so far. No hunger issues yesterday, but I was a little hungry this nothing around 10.

I'm also cutting sugar, which cuts out a lot of my snacking because I'm a candy lover. That's usually difficult for me, but after a week it two it gets easy.

The first few weeks are pretty tough but all of a sudden you emerge from the cave and it’s a whole new world. It’s hard because sugar is death by a thousand paper cuts, it’s in EVERYTHING. You really have to re train yourself when you’re in the grocery store

I am doing IF too. I am doing 16/8 and minus being a little hungry in the morning since Arrow has had me up at 2am pretty much all week, it’s been easy. I do 11am-7pm, and not eating after 7pm is no issue for me.

I’m one week in on eating better and meal prepping and feeling great! JB comes home tomorrow and that’s when things will get harder, he has no interest in a healthy lifestyle and it’s extremely hard when the person you live with says “What’s for dinner? How about pizza?” basically every night.

I’m not blaming him though, he shouldn’t be forced to change who he is or what he eats for me, it just tests my will power.

I still need to get back to working out, but with Arrow sick and work being so busy this week, that was not happening.

Last edited:
I am doing IF too. I am doing 16/8 and minus being a little hungry in the morning since Arrow has had me up at 2am pretty much all week, it’s been easy. I do 11am-7pm, and not eating after 7pm is no issue for me.

I’m one week in on eating better and meal prepping and feeling great! JB comes home tomorrow and that’s when things will get harder, he has no interest in a healthy lifestyle and it’s extremely hard when the person you live with says “What’s for dinner? How about pizza?” basically every night.

I’m not blaming him though, he shouldn’t be forced to change who he is or what he eats for me, it just tests my will power.

I still need to get back to working out, but with Arrow sick and work being so busy this week, that was not happening.

My wife doesn’t eat the way I do so I have to get very creative, making versions of meals that will satisfy her and sometimes making two meals. It helps that i cook 100% of the time though

You got this!

All this talk of 16/8 makes me wonder if I could just do 8/16 instead. I could totally handle that.

You guys have inspired me to jump back on the IF train. I did it for a couple weeks once I had reached a plateau, and it was incredibly effective. My last couple weeks have been garbage: a guys trip, two weddings, lots of work, little sleep or workouts, and way too many carbs. Added 4 lbs back, which isn't as bad as it could be, but I want it gone asap.

Yeah, no way around the sugar... that stuff is plain bad for you.

The salt though... don’t avoid salt, avoid cheap table salt. Load your food with salts rich with minerals like a real high quality Celtic sea salt, pink Himalayan salt, or Real Salt by Redmond’s.

Take the first step man, that’s the HARDEST part

I just use the sodium already in food. When you're eating things for lunch like two baked chicken breasts and a bag of vegetables of whatever kind, you've already accepted that it's going to be not the most amazing thing in the world haha.

I did IF 16/8 for a while. Lately, I've been dabbling with 20/4. I eat breakfast around 1400 and then dinner around 1800. Sometimes, I slip to 18/6, but that's usually just a snack (usually PB and crackers or cottage cheese with some fruit and whole milk) before bed. I feel so much better when I'm not eating junk all the time.

I'm tossing around the idea of fasting. I wanna work my way up to 7 days. I'll probably start out with 3 days first to see how it goes. Depending on how I feel, I might keep pushing it out to 7 or I might go back to 20/4 for a few days, then push it to 5, then 7. We'll see.

Back