Which Sport Has the Fittest Athletes?

I have to agree with gymnastics.

Professional Ironman athletes, and I dont think it's close.

And I would bet none of those triathletes could snatch their body weight.

Actually, 3 of the 5 guys I'm referring to can snatch their body weight. One was a Green Beret and wrestled at Westpoint.

Motocross! If you have never put in a 30 minute moto with a 230 pound beast between your legs, flying 100ft through the air, landing and having to make an immediate 180 degree turn, then you will not understand.

Actually 3 of the 5 guys I'm refering to can snatch their body weight.
I guess it depends on their weight. But good on them. Most triathletes I know couldn't rip their way out of a paper bag.

"Fit" is too broad of a term. Almost any professional athlete is "fit" or they wouldn't be where they are.

I don't think there is any really correct answer for this question as each sport has its own particular type of fitness

For those who said ice hockey, you talk about a 2 minute stint on the ice being a long time, yet a rugby player can be on the pitch for 40 minutes of a half, run a lot further in that time and take hits just as hard but without any body protection. They are both fit but it is a different type of fitness

Gymnastics is a completely different fitness again as you need to have complete control over your body to perform the routines they put together - I mean how many people on here could perform a handstand and hold their body perfectly still without having their arms collapse and planting their face in the ground or losing their balance

Professional Ironman athletes, and I dont think it's close.
That's one perspective. I guess it really depends on your idea of fit.
50169c9800f35cd8afd73877afbc9d93.jpg

17ba4458796e8438abef79255bec9b69.jpg

Then top is Denis Chevrot one of the top ironman athletes and the bottom is Rich Froning from crossfit. Just looking the pictures I'd say Rich Froning is more fit, but that's my perspective.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

That's one perspective. I guess it really depends on your idea of fit.
50169c9800f35cd8afd73877afbc9d93.jpg

17ba4458796e8438abef79255bec9b69.jpg

Then top is Denis Chevrot one of the top ironman athletes and the bottom is Rich Froning from crossfit. Just looking the pictures I'd say Rich Froning is more fit, but that's my perspective.

Is it about who "looks" more fit? Or level of fitness? Being ripped and being able to do 100 pull ups in a row is much different than a 10 hour test of endurance fitness.

Is it about who "looks" more fit? Or level of fitness? Being ripped and being able to do 100 pull ups in a row is much different than a 10 hour test of endurance fitness.
So doing 100 pull ups is not fit? If I had guess the crossfit guy would have more success in a triathlon than a triathlete would have in a crossfit games. Oh and yes looks does play into fitness, you don't look "ripped" without putting in the work to get there.

I guess it depends on their weight. But good on them. Most triathletes I know couldn't rip their way out of a paper bag.

I totally agree. I just happen to know a few endurance nuts who don't want to look anything like an endurance athlete!

So doing 100 pull ups is not fit? If I had guess the crossfit guy would have more success in a triathlon than a triathlete would have in a crossfit games. Oh and yes looks does play into fitness, you don't look "ripped" without putting in the work to get there.

Is crossfit an actual sport now?

Also, I give you the Iron Cowboy. Guiness record holder for Ironman competitions. 50 ironmans, 50 consecutive days, 50 different states.

YsDEjA4.jpg

An Ironman-distance triathlon consists of a 2.4-mile swim, 112-mile a bike ride, and 26.2-mile run. James will complete this every single day for 50 days for a total of 120 miles swam, 5,600 biked, and 1,310 run.

If I had to vote I'd say wrestling, because that's what I did in college. But there is no right answer. Every sport will have top athletes that are some of the most "fit" people in the world. Each person has specialized towards their sport by the time we start talking about professional athletes (no reason for Julio Jones to be able to run a marathon, or Crosby be able to swim). With the definition of fit being so broad, I think we have to change the question. Which sport has the most dynamic athletes? What sport has the most athletes that would transition to other sports well? Something like that.

No it is just a different type of fitness. That is why these types of discussions are hard everyone has a different take on fitness. For my vote endurance athletes are the fittest athletes, for some others it might be strength athletes. Not sure there is a correct answer just ones preference.

Some really good answers and really good reasoning here. I deliberately made the question vague to see what would happen.

To me, fitness is a combination of strength and endurance.

What's interesting to me is that so many responses went along the lines of "if you haven't done it/been close to it, you have no idea". Great points about water polo, hockey, rugby, boxing/MMA, etc.That's why I offered rowers I've seen it and did a trial row in an eight. I'm thinking there's no best answer here, but a bunch of good ones.

Is crossfit an actual sport now?
I'd say it's a much of a sport as triathlons...

Ironman purse is $150k, crossfit games purse is $2.2M.

I'd say it's a much of a sport as triathlons...

Ironman purse is $150k, crossfit games purse is $2.2M.

Golf is 5 times that every single week. That makes them more of a sport?

No it is just a different type of fitness. That is why these types of discussions are hard everyone has a different take on fitness. For my vote endurance athletes are the fittest athletes, for some others it might be strength athletes. Not sure there is a correct answer just ones preference.
I agree 100%, that's why I said it's all based on perspective. All professional athletes are incredibly fit. You have 300lbs OL in football that run sub 5s 40yard dash and put 225lbs up 25 times, is someone going say he's not fit, no. And while I hate the cult of crossfit I can not deny I've been caught watching the crossfit games thinking dang these guys are some amazing athletes. I wrestled all through school and still help coach, and I can say there is nothing harder I've experienced than giving your all for 6 straight minutes.

According to jspangs, yes, golf is more a sport than Crossfit.

Largest purse for Major League Gaming (video game championships) last year was $1m, so I guess that's more of a sport than an Ironman or triathlon as well.

Largest purse for Major League Gaming (video game championships) last year was $1m, so I guess that's more of a sport than an Ironman or triathlon as well.

that's a given. gotta have strong thumbs.

According to jspangs, yes, golf is more a sport than Crossfit.
Yes I forget some people can't read here...

Question was, "is crossfit a sport?"

Response: "its as much a sport as triathlons"

People who can't read, responses "clearly golf is more of a sport than crossfit, because they make more money"

Since when was golf not a sport?

Yes I forget some people can't read here...

Question was, "is crossfit a sport?"

Response: "its as much a sport as triathlons"

People who can't read, responses "clearly golf is more of a sport than crossfit, because they make more money"

Since when was golf not a sport?

A lot of people don't consider golf a sport actually. A decent amount of people on this forum as well, if I'm remembering the last time a thread went up about it. Bringing money into it is just a weird argument. Plenty of things bring in money that have nothing to do with sports. Baking competitions can have purses. It's just a completely non relevant fact. Just because people or companies pay into it, doesn't mean it's a sport.

But calling out reading abilities makes sense too.

A lot of people don't consider golf a sport actually. A decent amount of people on this forum as well, if I'm remembering the last time a thread went up about it. Bringing money into it is just a weird argument. Plenty of things bring in money that have nothing to do with sports. Baking competitions can have purses. It's just a completely non relevant fact. Just because people or companies pay into it, doesn't mean it's a sport.

But calling out reading abilities makes sense too.

I read good.

Back