PING G400 Max Driver - THP Review Thread

Worked with this one some more yesterday, still seeing the same differences (added launch in the Max and added spin) when using the same shaft and loft setup next to my G400. Additionally, I put it into the hands of five very different golfers the past outings on the Foresight GC2 and have seen a spread of 200-500 RPM increase. Now, to me that really isn't that much of a jump, and could be well worth it to those seeking a little more launch.

I think the biggest thing is that I'm seeing it is incredibly playable. The G400 has underrated forgiveness, particularly the toe side of things, and this has shown that same trait. Now, I know it has higher MOI than the G400, but dispersion has been pretty spot on with eachother. To me, the biggest difference is that some are going to innately make more confident swings with the 460cc head, it just LOOKS forgiving when you set up behind the ball.

No, its not a huge revolution from the standard G400, but why does it have to be? We praise so many for options, that is exactly what PING has done here with the Max, they have expanded their options while maintaining the performance superlatives that so many have raved about with the initial G400 release. I do still think the sound leaves one a bit wanting, but as always, that will vary with the users feelings/ear.

Hey james, what did those 5 golfers see launch angle increase wise?

Good information there. I like options, and it is good that Ping is providing various iterations for we consumers to try. Based on what i'm reading, I probably will not seek-out the Max to put against what I already have. Now, if I didn't already have a solid G400 model option, I would definitely give it a go.

I'd like to see you hit a lower lofted Max, just to see how it all shakes out for you. I'll say though, the feel/sound really will throw you off if you hit the G400 first. That said, its a damn good driver.

Hey james, what did those 5 golfers see launch angle increase wise?

All I have on my GC2 iPad app is average because I neglected to color code the users like I usually do to differentiate, which is lame on my part. But, total average increase has been about 0.7 degrees. Pretty solid.

So I took the G400 Max to sim league tonight. This is an HDGolf unit, and it requires a reflective tape on the ball to read spin. I have been using up my stash of white Callaway Supersofts all winter, and that is what I used tonight. My last driver was a Great Big Bertha set to 10.5°/"double draw" with a Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 in stiff flex. I tend to have an out-to in swing path of about 5° and usually a slightly open clubface at impact. That usually results in a pull fade that lands right of the target line. I have a too-steep swing, so launch angles can get up there. I don't have detailed data, but I tended to observe my stats with the GBB during the season. These are for "the good swings":

Clubhead speed - 102 mph typical
Fairways hit - 2-3 of 7
Typical launch angle - 16°-17°
Typical carry - 210-215 yds
Typical total - 221-226 (I tracked this stat most closely)
Typical spin - 2,600-2,700

So tonight with the G400 Max and the Kuro Kage Silver Dual-Core TiNi 60 in stiff flex, here is what I observed in our nine hole round.

The data:

I hit 4/7 fairways. One just missed and I blew two tee shots. The ball flight was much straighter, even though the swing path and clubface orientation numbers were virtually identical.

My first two swings were above 106 mph. I did not have a sub-100 mph swing. With the GBB I typically had 2-3 per round. The top part of the table below shows the numbers for the fairway finders, as best as I could catch them

After the round, I set up the driving range and hit about 20 drives. Unfortunately, there was no report-out on the session other than average drive on the screen, so these are eyeball averages. Those numbers are shown in the bottom part of the table with an E (for estimate) after them. I hit two drives of 190-200 yards, but I also hit four drives of 245-250 and one drive just over 260. That's very unusual distance for me. With the GBB, I might have seen a drive over 240 once/month. I proved that I can still hit a big pull or massive slice - the G400 Max is good, not miraculous.

The spin numbers blew me away. I was consistently seeing numbers in the 2100-2200 range, with one as low as 1857 and one as high as 2642 - roughly the average spin with my old driver. Edit: I did register a 4097 spin number on a mishit drive, so I think the spin numbers are reasonably accurate.

View attachment 31428

Based on the range numbers, with some familiarization with the new driver, I am seeing a little more clubhead speed, launch angles that are 2-3° lower than the old setup, and carry and total distance gains of about 12 yards - with spins in the 2,200 range. Smash factors are around 1.33, which suggest to me I have still more upside.

And when I tested the shaft options, this was the shortest of the KK, HZRDUS Yellow, Aldila X Torsion, and the Alta 55 CB stock shaft, but had the best dispersion.

I'm pretty freakin' happy right about now.

The soft stuff:

Both the head and the shaft feel great all the way through the swing, whether I focus on a smoother, easier swing, or try to step on it. ("Smooth" is relative. My backswing is not too bad, but after that it can get really aggressive.) I can immediately tell when I hit off the toe or heel, but the feedback is much more muted than what I was getting from the GBB. No surprise - it's a much higher MOI club. As I noted in an earlier post, it feels like it's been in my bag for a year or two, and that's great. It inspires confidence at address, and after a few swings, it flat out inspires confidence, period.

For me, the KK Silver Dual-Core TiNi 60 seems to have been the right choice, so much so I may look for a used one to install in my EX10 Beta. I probably would have gone with the stock shaft (and probably been happy with that choice) had someone not observed here that a $250 shaft is a $75 upgrade when buying the driver, and a new stock shaft can be had for $50 on eBay. So if you're wavering between the stock shaft and an upgrade, you may want to consider it's cheaper to change later from an upgrade to the stock rather than the other way around.

Something seems off with your numbers. 102 swing speed, 16 launch and 2274 spin should get you much more than 235 total yards. It should have you up in the 270’s, at least.

I'd like to see you hit a lower lofted Max, just to see how it all shakes out for you. I'll say though, the feel/sound really will throw you off if you hit the G400 first. That said, its a damn good driver.

All I have on my GC2 iPad app is average because I neglected to color code the users like I usually do to differentiate, which is lame on my part. But, total average increase has been about 0.7 degrees. Pretty solid.

cool cool, good to know. thanks for the data

I was one of the holdouts still playing a G30 LST, so I've learned to ignore "sound" a bit (or maybe it just numbed my nerves and hearing, so I didn't notice it). I do admit I would be concerned about having an even higher ball-flight... Would be an interesting experiment, that's for sure. Maybe a hand-picked 7.5? LOL

Something seems off with your numbers. 102 swing speed, 16 launch and 2274 spin should get you much more than 235 total yards. It should have you up in the 270’s, at least.

I would love to agree with you!

The big rap on the sims I play is "I'm longer outside." The owner disputes this. I would think my numbers are most useful in comparing my old club flight to the new. I do think I am longer outside. But I also have a crappy swing in which I don't clear my hips fast enough and thus I come over the top AND tilt forward.

So today I made up this week's league. Did not have an especially good swing but hit 4/7 fairways, and it looked like I was driving around 235 with swing speeds averaging around 100. Spin data were unavailable., alas, but launch angles were significantly higher today - around 18.

After completing my 9, I hit 12 drives on the range. Topped one that rolled 194 yards, but it showed average distance of 244 and average carry of 255 (???) There were some 220s in that mix and some 270s.

Here was my last drive, also my best

IMG_0788.jpg

That may be more in line with what you are suggesting. This one had a good smash factor - I was seeing 1.33 or so last week. I personally question the clubhead speed number - I'm gonna be 62 next week.

The proof will be out on the course, but with this combo I am definitely going to be longer and straighter.

If someone is hitting it high on the club head, they would get more launch, lower spin, but suffer in ball speed. It would make those numbers come into play, and also allow for the big gain, like was seen above.

Additionally, I put it into the hands of five very different golfers the past outings on the Foresight GC2 and have seen a spread of 200-500 RPM increase. Now, to me that really isn't that much of a jump, and could be well worth it to those seeking a little more launch.

Nice to see you, and others, put it through its paces, and I can corroborate the spin findings, as I was in the 100-200 RPM more than the standard (but I realize that could be very strike dependent). The little bit of added launch was also nice to see.

What was the overall impression of other golfers in terms of looks? Did they prefer G400, Max, or were they indifferent?

Nice to see you, and others, put it through its paces, and I can corroborate the spin findings, as I was in the 100-200 RPM more than the standard (but I realize that could be very strike dependent). The little bit of added launch was also nice to see.

What was the overall impression of other golfers in terms of looks? Did they prefer G400, Max, or were they indifferent?

It was pretty split. All could 100% visually tell the difference between the two.

If someone is hitting it high on the club head, they would get more launch, lower spin, but suffer in ball speed. It would make those numbers come into play, and also allow for the big gain, like was seen above.

So many smart, helpful people on THP! Tthank you, sir!

Last edited:
Looking forward to testing this out tonight in the sim league.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Looking forward to testing this out tonight in the sim league.

It’s so forgiving. I hit a straight up low smother hook today that was only 3-5 yards left of the fairway and got out about 210. Like....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are right. There was no ball speed number and I failed to focus on Reframmellator’s statement that his smash factor was 1.33. To get the numbers I was referencing, it would need to be around 1.45. Good point.

The good news is that there is plenty in the tank for Reframmellator with a little more efficient swing in terms of transferring swing speed to ball speed.

Nice driver, but it's loud af. I used the 10.5 with hzrdus yellow stiff during the sim round, and dispersion was pretty tight. Everything was straight or a draw. I hit 4 of 6 fairways on the back 9 of the very tight golf club of Houston. On ones that felt like mishits, they still went straight and total distance of 260 instead of 285+.

After the round, I was able to hop in the bay with the gc2. I went after it a bit more and consistently hit carry numbers of 265-275. Numbers were similar to my f7/Atmos Black combo, but dispersion was tighter with the ping. Mishits also were punished less both in distance and direction. I liked it, but this sucker is loud inside.

Nice driver, but it's loud af. I used the 10.5 with hzrdus yellow stiff during the sim round, and dispersion was pretty tight. Everything was straight or a draw. I hit 4 of 6 fairways on the back 9 of the very tight golf club of Houston. On ones that felt like mishits, they still went straight and total distance of 260 instead of 285+.

After the round, I was able to hop in the bay with the gc2. I went after it a bit more and consistently hit carry numbers of 265-275. Numbers were similar to my f7/Atmos Black combo, but dispersion was tighter with the ping. Mishits also were punished less both in distance and direction. I liked it, but this sucker is loud inside.

I have had both the G400 and Max and prefer the sound of the Max. Not the muted thunk of the Epic and not obnoxiously loud either. Forgiveness is real with this driver.

It’s loud outside,too, but not menacingly so. I prefer the sound and feel of the standard G400 but the results for my game speak volumes. Hit 4/7 fairways yesterday on a windy February day in Michigan, and the other 3 were in play and unimpeded. Stupid forgiving.

It’s loud outside,too, but not menacingly so. I prefer the sound and feel of the standard G400 but the results for my game speak volumes. Hit 4/7 fairways yesterday on a windy February day in Michigan, and the other 3 were in play and unimpeded. Stupid forgiving.

Yeah, its not Triton, G30, or G loud. Not close, but compared to the standard, its on the more hollow side. Performance is still there though for certain.

Yeah, its not Triton, G30, or G loud. Not close, but compared to the standard, its on the more hollow side. Performance is still there though for certain.

With the coool and the 12* loft it is just high draw bombs for me for the most part. I’m obsessed. Can’t wait for warmer weather

With the coool and the 12* loft it is just high draw bombs for me for the most part. I’m obsessed. Can’t wait for warmer weather

All about finding what works for sure. I'm just continuously impressed at how ROUNDED the PING lineup is, I would go on the limb of saying it might be the most rounded right now, which I know might ruffle the feathers of some.

All about finding what works for sure. I'm just continuously impressed at how ROUNDED the PING lineup is, I would go on the limb of saying it might be the most rounded right now, which I know might ruffle the feathers of some.
Mine wouldn't be ruffled by that, yeah, some know I've had an all Titleist as well as an all Callaway bag in the past, but one would be hard pressed to beat an All Same OEM bag made up of PING for 2018. Easily one of the best rounded selections out there.

Mine wouldn't be ruffled by that, yeah, some know I've had an all Titleist as well as an all Callaway bag in the past, but one would be hard pressed to beat an All Same OEM bag made up of PING for 2018. Easily one of the best rounded selections out there.

Its an interesting case study, because we keep hearing they're being left behind, but they keep plugging along.

Its an interesting case study, because we keep hearing they're being left behind, but they keep plugging along.
I think maybe a couple cycles ago that MIGHT have been a fair assessment, much as it would have been fair to say about Titleist with neither really having movable or adjustable weighting. Even though PING Drivers still lack that aspect (unless I'm missing one) they have added enough other technology subtle as it may be, to suit just about any need. I'm really curious to see where the entire 400 line of drives falls in the sales category this year, I'm certain it won't be number 1 or probably not even No. 2, but I wouldn't bet against third with it also showing a healthy increase in sales year over year.

I think maybe a couple cycles ago that MIGHT have been a fair assessment, much as it would have been fair to say about Titleist with neither really having movable or adjustable weighting. Even though PING Drivers still lack that aspect (unless I'm missing one) they have added enough other technology subtle as it may be, to suit just about any need. I'm really curious to see where the entire 400 line of drives falls in the sales category this year, I'm certain it won't be number 1 or probably not even No. 2, but I wouldn't bet against third with it also showing a healthy increase in sales year over year.

They are third.

They are third.
Well then that was a pretty good prediction :D I didn't' take time to look it up. I thought maybe PING or Titleist was third (or am I off on Titleist) but with Titleist begin 18 months into a release, and PING having the four new models in the last 7 months or so, that makes sense. So I would expect that gap to increase in 2018. Even with the 919 expected release in September/October, it probably won't be enough time to make up for the entire year?

Back