PING G400 Max Driver - THP Review Thread

They are third.

Good for them because I've always enjoyed Ping products. By far I've owned more Callaway and Ping products than all others combined. I see more Ping in my future whenever that may me.

Good for them because I've always enjoyed Ping products. By far I've owned more Callaway and Ping products than all others combined. I see more Ping in my future whenever that may me.

They're consistent, thats one thing no one can deny.

Wow guys! I picked up my PING 400 max last night. Played early this morning, and the results were exactly what I hoped for after an indoor fitting 2 weeks ago. No warmup, so I didn't really go after it the first 3 holes, but still got really nice results. After a par 3, on the 5th hole par 5 I decided it was time to let go and see what it can do. About the same distance as my Epic, but it was dead straight. Each hole I got more and more confident, feeling like I couldn't miss with the club. I probably swung harder today then I have in years off the tee, and the results were amazing (for me LOL). I think I somehow stumbled onto a club that is perfect for me. I love the look, matte finish suits my eye, as does the seemingly large head. Apparently the fitter was right, the stock shaft, with 9* head lofted up to 10 gave me the high ball flight I wanted, and I even was able to work it (draw especially) very easily. I can't tell you how happy I am after this round. I never really got the feeling with my Epic where I was in control of where the ball was going. Had some long ones, sure, but I was all over the map with it at times. I gave it every chance. 3 shafts, almost a year in the bag, but after today, I know it's gone. It's a great club, I know. I've seen a lot of guys crush it, but it never worked out for me the way I wanted it to.

Wow guys! I picked up my PING 400 max last night. Played early this morning, and the results were exactly what I hoped for after an indoor fitting 2 weeks ago. No warmup, so I didn't really go after it the first 3 holes, but still got really nice results. After a par 3, on the 5th hole par 5 I decided it was time to let go and see what it can do. About the same distance as my Epic, but it was dead straight. Each hole I got more and more confident, feeling like I couldn't miss with the club. I probably swung harder today then I have in years off the tee, and the results were amazing (for me LOL). I think I somehow stumbled onto a club that is perfect for me. I love the look, matte finish suits my eye, as does the seemingly large head. Apparently the fitter was right, the stock shaft, with 9* head lofted up to 10 gave me the high ball flight I wanted, and I even was able to work it (draw especially) very easily. I can't tell you how happy I am after this round. I never really got the feeling with my Epic where I was in control of where the ball was going. Had some long ones, sure, but I was all over the map with it at times. I gave it every chance. 3 shafts, almost a year in the bag, but after today, I know it's gone. It's a great club, I know. I've seen a lot of guys crush it, but it never worked out for me the way I wanted it to.

I kind of felt the same thing yesterday. When I really went after it, it just went dead straight, or baby draw. That is a really empowering sensation. Love this club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Worked with this one some more yesterday, still seeing the same differences (added launch in the Max and added spin) when using the same shaft and loft setup next to my G400. Additionally, I put it into the hands of five very different golfers the past outings on the Foresight GC2 and have seen a spread of 200-500 RPM increase. Now, to me that really isn't that much of a jump, and could be well worth it to those seeking a little more launch.

I think the biggest thing is that I'm seeing it is incredibly playable. The G400 has underrated forgiveness, particularly the toe side of things, and this has shown that same trait. Now, I know it has higher MOI than the G400, but dispersion has been pretty spot on with eachother. To me, the biggest difference is that some are going to innately make more confident swings with the 460cc head, it just LOOKS forgiving when you set up behind the ball.

No, its not a huge revolution from the standard G400, but why does it have to be? We praise so many for options, that is exactly what PING has done here with the Max, they have expanded their options while maintaining the performance superlatives that so many have raved about with the initial G400 release. I do still think the sound leaves one a bit wanting, but as always, that will vary with the users feelings/ear.

The second paragraph here is exactly how I felt, the first time I picked it up. You hit the nail on the head. I'm in love with this club right now!:joy::joy::joy:

I kind of felt the same thing yesterday. When I really went after it, it just went dead straight, or baby draw. That is a really empowering sensation. Love this club.

Right? Exactly like you said, "Empowering" - perfect word for it. I couldn't wait to get to the next tee to hit it again!

Right? Exactly like you said, "Empowering" - perfect word for it. I couldn't wait to get to the next tee to hit it again!

Such a huge confidence builder - they really hit this one out of the park

SOunds like you are seeing the really solid dispersion that so many others that have tested it are seeing as well.

SOunds like you are seeing the really solid dispersion that so many others that have tested it are seeing as well.

I'll never be the guy who bombs it anymore. 62, 92-94 mph swing, playing at sea level, etc. But it is SO forgiving. It's at least as long as my Epic, and I think PING is right when they talk about "straight distance". Add in the confidence factor I get with it's shape which also means a lot. The "sound" doesn't bother me at all. I've read where guys in here who know a lot more then me say sound/feel are the same thing. For me though, I notice a soft, pleasing feel when I hit it, not any off putting sound(s). Does that make sense?

I'll never be the guy who bombs it anymore. 62, 92-94 mph swing, playing at sea level, etc. But it is SO forgiving. It's at least as long as my Epic, and I think PING is right when they talk about "straight distance". Add in the confidence factor I get with it's shape which also means a lot. The "sound" doesn't bother me at all. I've read where guys in here who know a lot more then me say sound/feel are the same thing. For me though, I notice a soft, pleasing feel when I hit it, not any off putting sound(s). Does that make sense?

Glad to hear of your early success SC. Two things you hit on here I want to expand on. I've seen the straight distance you mention. By that i mean its not losing yards on the end due to s leak to the right. Ive noticed as much as a 20 yard difference just from ot going straight both csrry and roll. As opposed to rolling out to the right.

And the sound. Im not bothted by it all. Its not to loud to my ears in any way.

Glad to hear of your early success SC. Two things you hit on here I want to expand on. I've seen the straight distance you mention. By that i mean its not losing yards on the end due to s leak to the right. Ive noticed as much as a 20 yard difference just from ot going straight both csrry and roll. As opposed to rolling out to the right.

And the sound. Im not bothted by it all. Its not to loud to my ears in any way.

You just said exactly what I was trying to. Only much better.

You just said exactly what I was trying to. Only much better.

I dont know about that. You captured it very well and s good observation ti even mention it. I might judt taken it for granted and not said anything if i hadnt read your comment about straight distance.

Its pretty funny that we (I) would take straight for granted.

I went in to get fitted for a driver today and ended up with the G400 Max. The fitter had me try some other brands but the max was what I needed. The weirdest part was that I ended up having it ordered with a 3 wood Alta shaft, regular flex. My groups were tight, averaging around 250 yards. The fitter was overjoyed with my numbers. Excited to play it when it comes in.

I went in to get fitted for a driver today and ended up with the G400 Max. The fitter had me try some other brands but the max was what I needed. The weirdest part was that I ended up having it ordered with a 3 wood Alta shaft, regular flex. My groups were tight, averaging around 250 yards. The fitter was overjoyed with my numbers. Excited to play it when it comes in.

Interesting. Will you have to add weight to the head with the shorter shaft?

Interesting. Will you have to add weight to the head with the shorter shaft?

No. He said it wasn’t necessary because it has the heaviest rear weight and tungsten weight. I was told that the MOI for the Max is 9900 vs 9000 for the standard version, so it won’t change that drastically. Plus I don’t think there’s an option to add more weight like there is with the Cobra F7.

No. He said it wasn’t necessary because it has the heaviest rear weight and tungsten weight. I was told that the MOI for the Max is 9900 vs 9000 for the standard version, so it won’t change that drastically. Plus I don’t think there’s an option to add more weight like there is with the Cobra F7.

I reached out to Ping and they said they will add the appropriate weight to club head after they re swing the club with 3 wood shaft.

I reached out to Ping and they said they will add the appropriate weight to club head after they re swing the club with 3 wood shaft.

Yep, their custom department is the best out there IMO. My G400 is hand picked to loft and they got it SW'd to D5 like I asked, no problem.

I used mine for the first time on the course yesterday. First drive, STRAIGHT down the middle of the fairway and far; I fell in love. I had ONE slice the whole day; I blame that on being tired from playing for the first time this year. Nice launch and always goes straight. As someone mentioned, it really helps your confidence in letting go and swinging hard. I don't think the noise was loud, just a solid feel with the club the whole time. Best driver I have ever played or hit. I am very happy with the purchase.

I used mine for the first time on the course yesterday. First drive, STRAIGHT down the middle of the fairway and far; I fell in love. I had ONE slice the whole day; I blame that on being tired from playing for the first time this year. Nice launch and always goes straight. As someone mentioned, it really helps your confidence in letting go and swinging hard. I don't think the noise was loud, just a solid feel with the club the whole time. Best driver I have ever played or hit. I am very happy with the purchase.

Always great to find something that works!

Just got mine last night. Range today and play Sunday. Initial thoughts. Bigger than G400, but subtlety so to me. Kinda like the stretch 3w compared to regular. Little deeper top to bottom than G400, but not as deep as G. Sets up to ball great. Only a small time on monitor, but straight seems to be its calling card. More thoughts after the weekend.

He posted quite a bit in the Max thread. Maybe he has app screenshots he can add if that is what you are requesting.

JMAN when is the data g400 vs max coming?
There's a lot in this thread, I've got some more I'm going to try to get done and up today as well.

As the little princess of mine has commandeered the iPad (to be fair, it was bought by us so she gets first crack rather than my reviews, even if it was intended for reviews, she is the princess after all lol) and is at her G's for the weekend, screen caps aren't an option. Good thing I still take a pen and paper with me when I'm working though eh?

I'll get you some updated data between those two today. I actually rehit them interchanging the Alta CB and COOOL again, and threw in my GD AD-IZ as well for more #s.

Appreciate you reading and following dude!

I can’t wait. My SS and low launch angle is similar to yours. I am gaming a 10.5 G400 with S Speeder Evo II 661 and really think it will be hard to beat. I recently dropped from XS to S and really enjoying the better feel. I am intrigued by the G 400 max and rogue SZ 10.5.

I can’t wait. My SS and low launch angle is similar to yours. I am gaming a 10.5 G400 with S Speeder Evo II 661 and really think it will be hard to beat. I recently dropped from XS to S and really enjoying the better feel. I am intrigued by the G 400 max and rogue SZ 10.5.
I'll definitely get a good update in this afternoon or evening for you, and I'm going to touch on the profile vs others like the SZ a but too!

Back