Cobra KING Forged TEC Black Irons

These rumors are probably created because they pulled out of GG and DSG last year. I don’t think that had anything to do with them getting out of equipment but that is probably where uniformed salespeople are coming up with these rumors.

As for Arccos, I like it but don’t use it very often for several other reasons I won’t get in to. I do think that the majority of people on the course have some form of GP grip on their club and that hurts the Cobra Connect system right now because the only options are Lamkin grips. I know they are working to change that but so far there does not seem to be much movement. I myself am about to change the Lamkin grips from my full set to GP grips because I am not crazy about the Lamkins. I may use the screw in system when I do but that is not an option for the guy off the street who buys a set of clubs with Cobra Connect in it and no screw ins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here’s a couple face pics after about 30 rounds or so this summer, I guess you can see a little wear but overall not bad IMO. As you can see I like use the whole face of the club haha.

The last pic there is some rust spots on the wedges if you like that sort of thing, again not a big deal to me I think the DBM finish is holding up great.

c174da3206553fea883ae7c52220072d.jpg

563c32e75477cdcac97fa86a1bdce99f.jpg

9093cdca8fdc70e9ffe130bf13eff188.jpg

bb1f937ec4ab8193a60ad572f1e483cd.jpg

Nice pics, thanks for posting! I continue to be impressed with the wear of my set as well. They're wearing, but not like other irons with black finishes I've had in the past. The more these wear the cooler they look in my opinion.

As far as wear, my set of FTB and King black wedges are holding up extremely well. We have about 40 sand bunkers on home course and I've only guessing I have been in sand 20 times so far this year so sand wear has been minimal.

I think the finish is great, looks good behind the ball and these clubs are very soft. Only biggest difference I find compared to my old set (Srixon I/Cleveland W) is I am one club shorter which I would attribute to shafts and age.

My Cobra set is Recoil 86 gm (I) and Recoil F3 95 gm (W) versus my old set which were Steelfibre (95 gm) and steel shafts in wedges. I just find I can't go hard with the Recoil shafts like the Steelfibres or else I get a draw/hook so I have to be smoother and more controlled. When I do, I find the FTB just flat out perform.

In fact, due to my accident a month ago, I haven't played much other than some match play and odd round so haven't even had a chance to hit my old set this year. Been struggling with Cobra Connect to get all my shots and my iphone heats up too much in my pocket plus I just replaced the Lamkin (slimy) grips as I was tired of wearing rain grip gloves on both hands.

I kept the Cobra connect sensors and would like to install them in my replacement (Super Stroke Cross Comfort) grips. Does anyone know of a way to put them back into another OEM grip? I am not a fan of Lamkin grip on especially in the hot, humid conditions we have experienced this summer. Plus with phone hot in pocket and Arccos missing every 2nd shot, it was a huge hassle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As far as wear, my set of FTB and King black wedges are holding up extremely well. We have about 40 sand bunkers on home course and I've only guessing I have been in sand 20 times so far this year so sand wear has been minimal.

I think the finish is great, looks good behind the ball and these clubs are very soft. Only biggest difference I find compared to my old set (Srixon I/Cleveland W) is I am one club shorter which I would attribute to shafts and age.

My Cobra set is Recoil 86 gm (I) and Recoil F3 95 gm (W) versus my old set which were Steelfibre (95 gm) and steel shafts in wedges. I just find I can't go hard with the Recoil shafts like the Steelfibres or else I get a draw/hook so I have to be smoother and more controlled. When I do, I find the FTB just flat out perform.

In fact, due to my accident a month ago, I haven't played much other than some match play and odd round so haven't even had a chance to hit my old set this year. Been struggling with Cobra Connect to get all my shots and my iphone heats up too much in my pocket plus I just replaced the Lamkin (slimy) grips as I was tired of wearing rain grip gloves on both hands.

I kept the Cobra connect sensors and would like to install them in my replacement (Super Stroke Cross Comfort) grips. Does anyone know of a way to put them back into another OEM grip? I am not a fan of Lamkin grip on especially in the hot, humid conditions we have experienced this summer. Plus with phone hot in pocket and Arccos missing every 2nd shot, it was a huge hassle.

This is kinda what I was talking about in the irons thread. Until they have more options for Cobra Connect grips from other manufacturers they are not going to see them used as much. I too saw occasional issues with it missing shots and ghost shots as well and a welcome addition would be something small that interfaces with your phone to put in your pocket instead of the phone. I thought I remembered some conversation about that being worked on but I could be wrong.

This is kinda what I was talking about in the irons thread. Until they have more options for Cobra Connect grips from other manufacturers they are not going to see them used as much. I too saw occasional issues with it missing shots and ghost shots as well and a welcome addition would be something small that interfaces with your phone to put in your pocket instead of the phone. I thought I remembered some conversation about that being worked on but I could be wrong.

I recall reading something about a Bluetooth fob of sorts that can hang on belt loop coming later this year/2019. Can't come soon enough for me. I like the concept but hate the hassles and distractions. I don't want to play on my phone checking, fixing shots, etc while I play golf. I'll post future comments in the Arccos thread in future as I was getting off topic, my apologies.

just wrapped up 72 holes in 3 days. the ftb were rock stars for me. whenever i go on trip likes this, my iron game always suffers by the end. not this time. i continued to hit good shots each round. that’s pretty much unheard of for me.

i can’t knock the tec(h). these are very workable but still very forgiving. great spin into greens. i’m starting to get my partial shots really dialed in.

love these ftb black and i’m not sure why i would change at this point.

just wrapped up 72 holes in 3 days. the ftb were rock stars for me. whenever i go on trip likes this, my iron game always suffers by the end. not this time. i continued to hit good shots each round. that’s pretty much unheard of for me.

i can’t knock the tec(h). these are very workable but still very forgiving. great spin into greens. i’m starting to get my partial shots really dialed in.

love these ftb black and i’m not sure why i would change at this point.

If you have already done this previously, I apologize, but could you compare these to the Srixon 565s in terms of forgiveness, distance, trajectory and spin or stopping power into greens?

Played my first round of the year with my wife and my iron play was stellar with the exception of one shot on a par 3 that had a drop of over 100 feet from the tee which I thought was going to be gold as it was heading straight for the pin but alas hit the back edge and flew into the woods. I then proceeded to do my Kevin Na impersonation and ended up tripling the hole.

Ended up shooting 4 over for the round but biggest compliment I received from my better half was after I lasered an 8 iron right at the pin and she said something to the effect of I love the look of your irons and wedges and they always go so high and straight!

Gotta love the FTB....I think my wife wants a set.

If you have already done this previously, I apologize, but could you compare these to the Srixon 565s in terms of forgiveness, distance, trajectory and spin or stopping power into greens?

distance- i feel like the 565 was a little longer. maybe half a club? but iirc my 565s were about 0.5” over standard.

trajectory- i think the ftb are a little higher by default, but i am hitting them on a strong trajectory with my current swing. it’s a trajectory that suits my eye very well.

spin- side to side dispersion is much better with ftb. no hooks that don’t stay on the planet. and low on the face still get up to a great apex (but with distance loss).

stopping power- never really had an issue with 565, but ftb is great. on a well struck ball i’m going to be within 6’ of my pitchmark, usually just a few feet. excellent.

forgiveness- i give the nod to the 565. the ftb are forgiving - particularly toward the heel - but the 565 were great on misses. imho that’s a spin thing; more spin with ftb means more distance loss on mishits but still very straight, less spin with 565 means vice versa. i could be wrong, but that makes sense in my brain.

hope that helps!

thought this might be interesting. below were my stats from april 20 after just 3 rounds with these irons.

cobra connect gir % of king forged tec black after 3 rounds

126edea5928b7f381e2c8c129f7036d1.jpg

and now here are my stats today, after 20 recorded rounds

73e88b4f8bbbc2f24bbdec1f5195c5a0.png

and to piggyback on the above post, here are my distances after 3 recorded rounds

cobra connect smart distances of king forged tec black after 3 rounds

7464d541ddfe7346651cd0b65384c160.jpg

and my distances after 20 recorded rounds

cf4a535f971237ced390459ae8ce73ef.png

interesting to see things normalize as i get more accustomed to the clubs. gapping is falling in line almost exactly where i want it. i’m very pleased with these irons, there’s nothing i wished they would do that they aren’t. just rock solid, great feel and excellent performance.

I have a couple more rounds since my last post and my ball striking has been really strong with my irons. The last 9 I played I ended +6 and I struggled with driving the ball all day. My irons and short game kept my score from reflecting how bad I was driving the ball.

My 5i has become one of my favorite clubs in the bag. I have always struggled with a 5i in the past but right now I am confident I will hit one of those soft pure shots almost every single time it is in my hands.

I probably have more swings then most of the guys from the Morgan Cup with all my clubs and while I can see wear on the finish, it’s more of a shiny nardo look then silver in the high wear areas. I actually enjoy how it fades from that to the black. Photos don’t really do justice to it unfortunately but it’s much more appealing then I thought it would be.

I made a slight change to my grip and I had one of my best ball striking days all year. These Irons really are amazing. They feel so soft when you make good contact.
If I had know these irons would be as easy to hit I would have ordered a 4I.

Took the lunch hour to put these beauties through their paces. Each time out I’m working on delivering a square club face vs my usual slightly closed. I’m really working on a higher launch. Hank H. gave me a few tips that I’ve really been taking to heart each time out. A few more weeks and I feel I’ll be seeing longer and higher shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Have an option to get these at a crazy good price but would have to be the stock setup. Amt shafts.
Opinions on these shafts? Normally have 6 iron s.s. between 85 and 89mph.
This shaft ok for me? R300or s300?
Does having the shop Bend them 1 degree flat affect the finish?

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

Have an option to get these at a crazy good price but would have to be the stock setup. Amt shafts.

Can’t give you an opinion on the shafts but the finish should be perfectly fine if you bend them 1 degree flat. Their DBM finish is very durable.

If the shop knows what they are doing it shouldn't hurt the finish, I'm playing the s300 shafts and i like the feel and distance is fine other than its a little low spinning for my preference but i don't get alot of spin like many hard hitters do, but they are very stable for sure, i hit a driver 260 usually my ss is around 95/100 with driver, but i love the irons

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Cobra KING Forged TEC Black Irons

i didn’t care for the amt shafts but some do.

as far as the finish, mine were bent by cobra and yes you can tell. it’s not super obvious, kind of like a slightly dull patch.

Last edited:
1 degree flat is fine. I had all mine set 1 degree flat before i got them and no issues anywhere. These irons are outstanding, finish wont do a thing. if your shaft choices are only s300 or r300 i would do the s300, thats just me though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

It needs to stop raining for a while so I can go out and play a round of golf again!
I miss these irons..

I went to my local golf town today and I spent more than an hour hitting this set in the r300 and s-300 shaft AMT model and I have to tell you I actually ended up preferring the r300.

First of all the feel was a little smoother. There was no difference at all in dispersion. Ball flight was within half a degree of each other. Spin for me was higher with the r300 by about 300 RPM.

So to summarize, the overall performance characteristics:

Distance :

Slight Edge in by about 3 yards with both the 5 and 8 iron compared to the s-300

Launch:

Launch angle was half a degree higher and the spin rate was 300 RPM more

Dispersion:

Left to right dispersion was equal with both clubs and seems more dependent on my swing than on the shaft.

My average ball speeds were approximately 122 to 125 miles per hour at the high end. Mishits were about 5 or 6 miles an hour slower at the slowest end.

well I know if you look just at speeds numbers you would say that I should be playing in the S300 model. The fact is I do not load the shaft heavily. Unlike other irons that are much lighter, these irons get up to more than 125 grams in the pitching wedge and 9-iron. My previous irons were Amp forged r+ KBS tours which were somewhere between regular and stiff. They were 115 G by comparison. I also own srixon z565 with stiff Nippon NS pro 980gh DST. The r300 in these feel stiffer than the Nippon and at least as stiff as the KBS.

I think the fact that I am 50 years old next month and I hope to have these irons for a while I am better off going with the slightly softer flex shaft given that there has been only performance benefits seen on simulator now and that ultimately my swing speed will go down over the next few years and the r300 might be more beneficial especially in the later parts of a golf round.

I have to save these clubs are absolutely stunning and I can't wait to get them out on the golf course.

I went to my local golf town today and I spent more than an hour hitting this set in the r300 and s-300 shaft AMT model and I have to tell you I actually ended up preferring the r300.

First of all the feel was a little smoother. There was no difference at all in dispersion. Ball flight was within half a degree of each other. Spin for me was higher with the r300 by about 300 RPM.

So to summarize, the overall performance characteristics:

Distance :

Slight Edge in by about 3 yards with both the 5 and 8 iron compared to the s-300

Launch:

Launch angle was half a degree higher and the spin rate was 300 RPM more

Dispersion:

Left to right dispersion was equal with both clubs and seems more dependent on my swing than on the shaft.

My average ball speeds were approximately 122 to 125 miles per hour at the high end. Mishits were about 5 or 6 miles an hour slower at the slowest end.

well I know if you look just at speeds numbers you would say that I should be playing in the S300 model. The fact is I do not load the shaft heavily. Unlike other irons that are much lighter, these irons get up to more than 125 grams in the pitching wedge and 9-iron. My previous irons were Amp forged r+ KBS tours which were somewhere between regular and stiff. They were 115 G by comparison. I also own srixon z565 with stiff Nippon NS pro 980gh DST. The r300 in these feel stiffer than the Nippon and at least as stiff as the KBS.

I think the fact that I am 50 years old next month and I hope to have these irons for a while I am better off going with the slightly softer flex shaft given that there has been only performance benefits seen on simulator now and that ultimately my swing speed will go down over the next few years and the r300 might be more beneficial especially in the later parts of a golf round.

I have to save these clubs are absolutely stunning and I can't wait to get them out on the golf course.

Glad to hear! They perform great, ive put together some of my best rounds in years with them so far.

Going to setup the Arccos sensors tonight.
Is there a fee after first year or only for the advanced Caddy features?

I cant remember to be honest.....lemme see what i can find

Back