Cobra KING F9 SPEEDBACK Driver

9* is the + model of old. It is flatter and lower spin.

With the weight forward you will get a balance of low spin and forgiveness.

I will say you will need to test the two heads out if you want to decide between the two. That said, the f9 definitely has better aerodynamics and a much nicer sound to it.

For those that have hit both, please give me pros and Cons. I’m torn on ordering this seasons club to play.

I’m stuck between F9 and Epic Flash SZ. The Cobra wasn’t even a plan until I hit an F8+ with a wildly inappropriate shaft. Trying to settle on the club to play this season if I don’t end up with the trusty and rusty R15 430.

Read so many good things about the Epic Flash SZ that I can’t imagine it won’t be great. Recently won an F8+ that is stupid forgiving and low enough spin to be playable. Even with a lighter stock S flex.

I know the EFSZ will spin low enough that I can play it. I’m worried about the F9. If there was an F9+, this wouldn’t even be a question. I’ve endlessly researched both and honestly I’m close to just saying “screw it” and getting another F8+ with an appropriate for me shaft since I gave the other to my middle son for his bday. The F8+ was more forgiving than anything I’ve played. We had some stupid bad early season strikes that still went straight enough and long enough to be considered good strikes.

I’ve hit the Epic Flash. Super forgiving but spun off the planet with my swing speed (and the stock S flex shaft available to hit at my only new club sampling place). An appropriate shaft and the SZ model should fix this. The F8+ with another inappropriate shaft was WAY closer to meeting my needs.

I know the F8+ with an appropriate shaft will do me good. Can a high SS player keep the F9 playable with an appropriate shaft? Should I look Flash SZ with an appropriate shaft? Or should I just go F8+ with an appropriate shaft and spend half as much?

I want the most performance. If they’re all within 2-3 yards any way you look at it, I’ll go F8+. If the F9 can’t take spin, I want no part of it. I can’t hit any of them prior to buying, other then I’ve hit the F8+ with an inappropriate shaft and was very impressed, albeit with way too high of launch but that’s hitting a shaft that isn’t heavy enough nor stout enough for me.

Help!?:)

I say do whatever makes you happy. Having played both the F8+ and now the F9 I feel that the F9 is better, it looks better, it’s faster and it sounds better. The Epic Flash Is a great driver in its own right but I personally prefer the looks and sound from the Cobra F9.

The 9* head is essentially this years + model though it’s not being marketed as such. With the weight forward and an appropriate shaft I don’t think you would have excessive spin issues.

For those that have hit both, please give me pros and Cons. I’m torn on ordering this seasons club to play.

I’m stuck between F9 and Epic Flash SZ. The Cobra wasn’t even a plan until I hit an F8+ with a wildly inappropriate shaft. Trying to settle on the club to play this season if I don’t end up with the trusty and rusty R15 430.

Read so many good things about the Epic Flash SZ that I can’t imagine it won’t be great. Recently won an F8+ that is stupid forgiving and low enough spin to be playable. Even with a lighter stock S flex.

I know the EFSZ will spin low enough that I can play it. I’m worried about the F9. If there was an F9+, this wouldn’t even be a question. I’ve endlessly researched both and honestly I’m close to just saying “screw it” and getting another F8+ with an appropriate for me shaft since I gave the other to my middle son for his bday. The F8+ was more forgiving than anything I’ve played. We had some stupid bad early season strikes that still went straight enough and long enough to be considered good strikes.

I’ve hit the Epic Flash. Super forgiving but spun off the planet with my swing speed (and the stock S flex shaft available to hit at my only new club sampling place). An appropriate shaft and the SZ model should fix this. The F8+ with another inappropriate shaft was WAY closer to meeting my needs.

I know the F8+ with an appropriate shaft will do me good. Can a high SS player keep the F9 playable with an appropriate shaft? Should I look Flash SZ with an appropriate shaft? Or should I just go F8+ with an appropriate shaft and spend half as much?

I want the most performance. If they’re all within 2-3 yards any way you look at it, I’ll go F8+. If the F9 can’t take spin, I want no part of it. I can’t hit any of them prior to buying, other then I’ve hit the F8+ with an inappropriate shaft and was very impressed, albeit with way too high of launch but that’s hitting a shaft that isn’t heavy enough nor stout enough for me.

Help!?:)

BigDill is correct, the 9 degree F9 head has replaced the F8+ this generation as the lower spin head.

I can’t provide any insight on comparisons to F8+, but there are quite a few folks on this site (including many who have commented in this thread) that they have already switched from F8 to F9 due to the performance increases they were seeing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are probably dozens of people better suited to answer this question with greater detail and accuracy, but I understand the 9* head to be the general equivalent to the “+” option from years past. I played the 7+, 8+, and now have the 9* head and consider the 9* to be the proper fit for me.

Super info! I haven’t looked but is there anything lower than the 9* and if there isn’t how low can I go with adapter? I’d prefer to be 6* or so but 8* is as low as I can get with some of them.

I’d have never considered Conra based on my old Amp Cell (I don’t think it was the good one, it was a glued hosel) that was my last Cobra. I couldn’t believe how much better the F8+ was. If the F9 is appropriate and any sort of improvement on the F8+ it’ll easily be the best driver I’ve ever hit.

And trust me I’ve had them all.

Super info! I haven’t looked but is there anything lower than the 9* and if there isn’t how low can I go with adapter? I’d prefer to be 6* or so but 8* is as low as I can get with some of them.

I’d have never considered Conra based on my old Amp Cell (I don’t think it was the good one, it was a glued hosel) that was my last Cobra. I couldn’t believe how much better the F8+ was. If the F9 is appropriate and any sort of improvement on the F8+ it’ll easily be the best driver I’ve ever hit.

7.5*

It’s freaking awesome, you’ll be happy

9* goes down to 7.5*

I had an f8+ and much prefer the 9* f9

Done deal. 7.5* is low enough.

Been wanting the EFSZ head. Only goes to 8* (IIRC) and I can’t line up up a Callaway driver worth a damn. Love them when I can get it lined up but there was just enough contrast on the F8+ to line it up OK.

Thanks for the prompt replies. Not sure that .5* makes a difference but it’s enough of a mental difference to give it a shot. Ya’ll sure that an F9 at 7.5* spins less than an F8+? Spin reduction and being able to line it up is more important to me than a couple miles an hour of ball speed due to me spinning stuff like a long drive guy (which I was a LONG time ago:)).

How’s the crown look vs the F8+? I found it to provide just enough contrast to be able to line it right, something I struggle with with Callaway for reasons that are probably only my own. Do weights from previous lines still work in the new line? I can see me putting a 20g in the front and a 2g in the back if spin is an issue? (It’s ok if no one knows this, it’s pretty specific).

Thanks all for the replies!!

Been wanting the EFSZ head. Only goes to 8* (IIRC) and I can’t line up up a Callaway driver worth a damn. Love them when I can get it lined up but there was just enough contrast on the F8+ to line it up OK.

Thanks for the prompt replies. Not sure that .5* makes a difference but it’s enough of a mental difference to give it a shot. Ya’ll sure that an F9 at 7.5* spins less than an F8+? Spin reduction and being able to line it up is more important to me than a couple miles an hour of ball speed due to me spinning stuff like a long drive guy (which I was a LONG time ago:)).

How’s the crown look vs the F8+? I found it to provide just enough contrast to be able to line it right, something I struggle with with Callaway for reasons that are probably only my own. Do weights from previous lines still work in the new line? I can see me putting a 20g in the front and a 2g in the back if spin is an issue? (It’s ok if no one knows this, it’s pretty specific).

Buy both and compare both in here and the respective threads, problem solved

Another round in the books (3) and another PB. 270 into a slight breeze. Playing with 3 retired guys today and they wanted to see this driver after a few of my shots. . I love this driver.

57f57881d2b466c43c07ff244807484d.jpg

Bombs away! Congrats on PB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The avalanche has more contrast if that is your preference for lining up. The yellow is more traditional looking and the avalanche is closer to the f8+.

The f9 is fairly low spin. I find it lower spin than the f8+. I had to use the f8+ at 8*. I can use the f9 in standard.

The weights from previous lines are different shapes.

So I have been carrying 2 Drivers now. F9 9° Atmos and F8+ 9° tour legnth Hzrdus. Something about that CNC milled face that I really like. My suggestion is buy the F9, F8+ and F9 4 iron and you will own the tee box in any situation. Lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I’m not sure if it will spin less, as I have not hit them side by side on a monitor. I do recall at one reading a comment, perhaps in this thread or in the range days review, that playing the 10.5 1.5 degrees down is not the same as playing the 9 1 degree down. They will have different profiles. Also, I think that more important than the number is the combination of playing the loft paired with your shaft. I am playing the Atmos Tour blue at a higher loft than I played the EF blue in my F8+. If I put the EF in the F9, I would probably play it at a lower loft. You can also reduce some driver spin with ball choice.

The crown question is dependent on whether you had the Nardo or Black F8+. Nardo was a bit busy for me in the driver, but I don’t mind it on my F8 woods. If you play the black, then I would say that the crowns are the same, with the exception that the yellow has a yellow “S” in the center, and avalanche has a white one. The crown is mostly carbon fiber and sexy. If you liked the F8+ then the F9 is a natural progression with a similar look. If I recall correctly, the yellow driver is gloss on the crown and the avalanche is matte. But I could be wrong, since I am hard #teamyellow.

The weights are not interchangeable from the F8 to the F9. They are different shapes.

The avalanche has more contrast if that is your preference for lining up. The yellow is more traditional looking and the avalanche is closer to the f8+.

The f9 is fairly low spin. I find it lower spin than the f8+. I had to use the f8+ at 8*. I can use the f9 in standard.

The weights from previous lines are different shapes.

Thanks for the input. I was super impressed with the F8+. I could line it up easily, and even with a stock low/low shaft it launched low and spun low enough that I could use it with that Green Aldila stock S Flex. I wasn’t even thinking Cobra until then. It looked, felt, sounded, and performed great. The last one I had, a bonded Amp Cell, performed ok. It sounded like a rock. It was also ugly as sin on Sunday. It felt like I was hitting a rock with a rock.

The F8+ at 8* is playable with a stock S flex shaft. I’m thinking that if that plays similar to the F9 at stock, and I can get it down to 7.5*, and I put an appropriate shaft in it, I’d just might be the club for me. I’m more impressed with the F8+ than the Rogue SZ, both at 8*. This is with a semi appropriate shaft with the Rogue SZ and one that is 10grams and a full flex+ too light for me with the F8+.

I was half a second from ordering the Flash SZ. Now after playing the F8+ for a hot second, I’m considering just going that route or going with an F9. I’m a little (lot) scared without being able to hit the F9. I went through the “loft up” phase and it pretty much sucked for me and my high CHS. I have a 3* Long Drive driver with a XXX flex shaft that I can hit too high if my technique isn’t right. Not that my swing speed is still up to that, just that my form of hitting WAY up on the ball while open can send the ball super high no matter what I’m hitting.

Every driver scares me some this year. I’m least scared with the Cobra F8+ because it is awesome. I’m trying to determine if this is my best bet, or the F9 is better. Not being able to hit (and most importantly not ever being able to line up any recent Callaway driver) I think has scared me off of the Flash SZ, although I think this is the club best suited to me based on specs. I’m just scared that the F9 will spin more than the F8+ which I know is a great club based on experience. I don’t like only being able to get to 8* with it. But I was hitting one at 8* with a stock S flex a little too high but it just went stupid straight, and based on how I was all over the face it was crazy forgiving.

Decisions, decisions. I’m pretty sure I’m down to last years F8+ and this years F9. Don’t like that I can’t hit the F9 (no one stocks them here, same as the EXS), so I’m going a lot based on what folks here are saying. I appreciate and consider all of the replies. TaylorMade is out. They’ve let me down BIG time the last two releases. My 2016 M1 430 can hit a ball from me further than any of their past 3 releases, sad. Bought both a 2017M1 440 and 2 2018 M3 440’s and they all were crap. Good to see they weren’t crap for everyone but they’ve done nothing for me, and even the 2016 M1 430 can’t supplant the 2015 R15 430 for me.

Pretty much going to be f8+ or F9 for me at this point. I’m sure Callaway’s club is crazy good but I just can’t line them up. My fault and not theirs, but I can also line up everything else so I’m probably not the only one. A little more contrast on the crown would help me, probably hurt more?

What the “Nardo” since I’m lazy? I’m assuming just a different style based on the “busy” comment? I love the F8+ crown. There’s just enough contrast that I can line it up good. Same reason I love the M series crowns, visual alignment, and why I can’t seem to line up Callaway clubs, the lack thereof.

Actually I love the M series most for alignment purposes. They just haven’t performed for me for 3 releases. Maybe I’ve had duds for three releases, but despite them being most visually pleasing, I get zero performance, with the 2018 M3 440 being a particular turd. Is any pro even still using this club? Did anyone last year that was under contract NOT have their club painted so they could play a prior version? I had 2 2018 M3 440’s and they both sucked. The 3rd one I traded away here , brand new, after I couldn’t get 200.00 out of it-2 months after release! With a 150.00 shaft in it.

I got sidetracked, lol. I’m stuck. I love the F8+. I want to go all in on the F9 but I’m scared that I won’t be able to spin it low enough to make it an upgrade. I appreciate the feedback for sure, it all factors into my decision. I just don’t know if it’ll spin low enough for me. And since I have to do this blind, it’s even tougher.

Thanks for the input. I was super impressed with the F8+. I could line it up easily, and even with a stock low/low shaft it launched low and spun low enough that I could use it with that Green Aldila stock S Flex. I wasn’t even thinking Cobra until then. It looked, felt, sounded, and performed great. The last one I had, a bonded Amp Cell, performed ok. It sounded like a rock. It was also ugly as sin on Sunday. It felt like I was hitting a rock with a rock.

The F8+ at 8* is playable with a stock S flex shaft. I’m thinking that if that plays similar to the F9 at stock, and I can get it down to 7.5*, and I put an appropriate shaft in it, I’d just might be the club for me. I’m more impressed with the F8+ than the Rogue SZ, both at 8*. This is with a semi appropriate shaft with the Rogue SZ and one that is 10grams and a full flex+ too light for me with the F8+.

I was half a second from ordering the Flash SZ. Now after playing the F8+ for a hot second, I’m considering just going that route or going with an F9. I’m a little (lot) scared without being able to hit the F9. I went through the “loft up” phase and it pretty much sucked for me and my high CHS. I have a 3* Long Drive driver with a XXX flex shaft that I can hit too high if my technique isn’t right. Not that my swing speed is still up to that, just that my form of hitting WAY up on the ball while open can send the ball super high no matter what I’m hitting.

Every driver scares me some this year. I’m least scared with the Cobra F8+ because it is awesome. I’m trying to determine if this is my best bet, or the F9 is better. Not being able to hit (and most importantly not ever being able to line up any recent Callaway driver) I think has scared me off of the Flash SZ, although I think this is the club best suited to me based on specs. I’m just scared that the F9 will spin more than the F8+ which I know is a great club based on experience. I don’t like only being able to get to 8* with it. But I was hitting one at 8* with a stock S flex a little too high but it just went stupid straight, and based on how I was all over the face it was crazy forgiving.

Decisions, decisions. I’m pretty sure I’m down to last years F8+ and this years F9. Don’t like that I can’t hit the F9 (no one stocks them here, same as the EXS), so I’m going a lot based on what folks here are saying. I appreciate and consider all of the replies. TaylorMade is out. They’ve let me down BIG time the last two releases. My 2016 M1 430 can hit a ball from me further than any of their past 3 releases, sad. Bought both a 2017M1 440 and 2 2018 M3 440’s and they all were crap. Good to see they weren’t crap for everyone but they’ve done nothing for me, and even the 2016 M1 430 can’t supplant the 2015 R15 430 for me.

Pretty much going to be f8+ or F9 for me at this point. I’m sure Callaway’s club is crazy good but I just can’t line them up. My fault and not theirs, but I can also line up everything else so I’m probably not the only one. A little more contrast on the crown would help me, probably hurt more?

If you have not already, take a few minutes and watch the THP Range Days video with Canadan and JB for the F9 and the Epic Flash. They do a great job explaining the numbers and results. Just be warned, Canadan missed the center of the face by 8mm one time, so take that into consideration .

I was happy with the F8+. The milled face made a huge difference, IMO. The F9 is a better driver. It’s much more aerodynamic and, I think, more forgiving. Given the two, which I own, I would pick the F9. But, I would also strongly consider which shaft to go with.

9* is the + model of old. It is flatter and lower spin.

With the weight forward you will get a balance of low spin and forgiveness.

I will say you will need to test the two heads out if you want to decide between the two. That said, the f9 definitely has better aerodynamics and a much nicer sound to it.

Now that is some interesting info, I have not read anything g like that yet

Cobra KING F9 SPEEDBACK Driver

What the “Nardo” since I’m lazy? I’m assuming just a different style based on the “busy” comment? I love the F8+ crown. There’s just enough contrast that I can line it up good. Same reason I love the M series crowns, visual alignment, and why I can’t seem to line up Callaway clubs, the lack thereof.

Actually I love the M series most for alignment purposes. They just haven’t performed for me for 3 releases. Maybe I’ve had duds for three releases, but despite them being most visually pleasing, I get zero performance, with the 2018 M3 440 being a particular turd. Is any pro even still using this club? Did anyone last year that was under contract NOT have their club painted so they could play a prior version? I had 2 2018 M3 440’s and they both sucked. The 3rd one I traded away here , brand new, after I couldn’t get 200.00 out of it-2 months after release! With a 150.00 shaft in it.

I got sidetracked, lol. I’m stuck. I love the F8+. I want to go all in on the F9 but I’m scared that I won’t be able to spin it low enough to make it an upgrade. I appreciate the feedback for sure, it all factors into my decision. I just don’t know if it’ll spin low enough for me. And since I have to do this blind, it’s even tougher.

Nardo is the name of the color grey used on the drivers. For the Nardo color, the front/face of the crown is grey, and then the back 3/4 of the crown is black carbon fiber.

On the F9, the entire crown is black, with the white or yellow “S” marking the center.

If I had them both with me, I would take a side by side. But my buddy has the F8 in his bag right now. I gave it to him Saturday to try during our round, and he didn’t want to give it back.

If you have not already, take a few minutes and watch the THP Range Days video with Canadan and JB for the F9 and the Epic Flash. They do a great job explaining the numbers and results. Just be warned, Canadan missed the center of the face by 8mm one time, so take that into consideration .

I was happy with the F8+. The milled face made a huge difference, IMO. The F9 is a better driver. It’s much more aerodynamic and, I think, more forgiving. Given the two, which I own, I would pick the F9. But, I would also strongly consider which shaft to go with.

Hell, I missed it once by only 8mm once too.

I think I stated, “oooohh, I CRUSHED it” when I did that. I consider it a successful drive when I hit it within 8mm of missing the club altogether.

I’m just scared of spin mainly. I’ve never seen an OEM put out something better, that wasn’t for me .... for the masses. Usually means it’ll suck for me. Worries me to no end that they went from a low spin model (IE-made for me-with the F8+) to a happy “everyone will like” model with the F9. I usually hate the “everyone will like” model.

Did they go away from the CNC face with the F9? I haven’t got that far into it yet. Why so if they did? That was a super quality clubface, just awesome in every aspect looking at it.

Decisions like this, I hate them. I always end up choosing wrong and just playing my R15 430 with an appropriate shaft. And ending up with a club that I can’t get 30% of what I paid for it out if it, even unhit.

Did they go away from the CNC face with the F9? I haven’t got that far into it yet. Why so if they did? That was a super quality clubface, just awesome in every aspect looking at it.

They did not, it is still used in the F9 driver. It’s a very hot face, and a fantastic club.

I hear where you are coming from, but I think you are over-thinking this. Spin is just one factor in the process. To close the loop, I think you will need to find an opportunity to demo the club.

Thanks for the shout out BD! I had a blast recording that one.

Thanks for the shout out BD! I had a blast recording that one.

No problem, it was a blast to watch and super informative. I hit one off the tow so hard on Saturday and it still flew 250. All I could think about was your 8mm “miss”. Mine was measured in inches.

No problem, it was a blast to watch and super informative. I hit one off the tow so hard on Saturday and it still flew 250. All I could think about was your 8mm “miss”. Mine was measured in inches.

Daaaamn that's a great result!

Nardo is the name of the color grey used on the drivers. For the Nardo color, the front/face of the crown is grey, and then the back 3/4 of the crown is black carbon fiber.

On the F9, the entire crown is black, with the white or yellow “S” marking the center.

If I had them both with me, I would take a side by side. But my buddy has the F8 in his bag right now. I gave it to him Saturday to try during our round, and he didn’t want to give it back.

Hmmm. I just can’t see me goin away from F8+. I can get one for around $200.00 and I already know I like it. I can’t line up the Callaway line because of lack of contrast. If the F9 just has a dot, ehhhhh. No.

I love the TM line for alignment purposes. They suck for me for performance with their latest models, but they’re great to line up.

I have zero desire for a no contrast clubhead. Just going to leave them alone. I’m happy with the performance and the crown of the F8+. I can get a brand new one for half of something that I might not like at all

Thanks to all for their replies. You’ve talked me into what I know I like anyways.

What’s the stoutest shaft they offer from a heavy weight, low launch/spin perspective standard with the F8+ line? I can research if needed, but if they offer one that fits me I’ll go with stock.

Thanks all!!

Hmmm. I just can’t see me goin away from F8+. I can get one for around $200.00 and I already know I like it. I can’t line up the Callaway line because of lack of contrast. If the F9 just has a dot, ehhhhh. No.

I love the TM line for alignment purposes. They suck for me for performance with their latest models, but they’re great to line up.

I have zero desire for a no contrast clubhead. Just going to leave them alone. I’m happy with the performance and the crown of the F8+. I can get a brand new one for half of something that I might not like at all

Thanks to all for their replies. You’ve talked me into what I know I like anyways.

What’s the stoutest shaft they offer from a heavy weight, low launch/spin perspective standard with the F8+ line? I can research if needed, but if they offer one that fits me I’ll go with stock.

Thanks all!!

Speaking as someone who hit F8+ and went to F9, the improvement is massive.

They did not, it is still used in the F9 driver. It’s a very hot face, and a fantastic club.

I hear where you are coming from, but I think you are over-thinking this. Spin is just one factor in the process. To close the loop, I think you will need to find an opportunity to demo the club.

Probably. Still having the CNC face gives me pause to my last comment. I’m at paralysis by analysis.

I’m sure it’s a great club but as a hard swinger that struggles to spin a Px Black 7.0 shafted M1.430 at less than 3k, spin is pretty darn important to me.

I need spin reduction with driver. The F8+ seems up to the task. I’m hearing a lot of folks say the F9 can be low spin, but I know that the F8+ is pretty low.

Gotta decide soon. Sigh.

Golf (decisions) is hard.

Back