Callaway Epic Flash and Epic Flash Sub Zero Driver

That’s the shaft I was fit into for the Titleist event.

What about their swing made you pick it for them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We tested 4-5 options and then worked with 5-6 different heads. He centers this shaft over and over again and once we got the weight right for him, it was a perfect match.

The Flash was hit or miss the last couple of days. Yesterday was a struggle early and I lost 3 balls off the tee. I turned it around a bit but I'm not quite as sharp as I had been. Today was better with only one ball lost but I hit a couple wide right that hit cart path and left some nice scrapes.

I'm still seeing good distance which though and it's easily as long, if not longer, as anything I've ever gamed.

Was fitted into a 10.5 sub zero with tensei blue 65 gram avs playing at 44.5"

After trying the ping 410, m5/m6 and regular flash this had the best dispersion and flight for me.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Still loving the consistency I'm seeing with this club. Not that I'm not putting bad swings on it, because I am from time to time. Consistent in the fact that I'm not losing all that much distance on those bad shots.

Also helps that it sets up beautifully behind the ball.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Finally hit 160mph ball speed with my Epic Flash driver the other day. Granted it was measured by my Garmin G80, but still it was the first time I've done that and it felt good.

Overall this driver continues to put me in good spots regardless of how I swing. I'm hitting my fair share of b*tch fades and low draws but both seem to keep me inside the trees and far enough to hit greens still. It really does everything I need in a driver.
1e9af1067d9914d07bbeb3ad18cead2e.jpg

Last edited:
About my only "miss" with this driver is me getting a little ahead of the ball, a little late with the head and pushing it right, no fade, just a straight push. Even if the GPS system on the cart isn't accurate as the tees are either forward or back, the distance I am getting with this driver blows me away.

I'm crushing the Epic Flash Sz HZRDUS Smoke Green combo lately.

But, now that my swing is starting to take shape again, I'm intrigued by counter balanced shafts again. Not dropping the coin on another Pro Orange. But, I decided to snag a HZRDUS Yellow from CPO for $70 to throw in there for a bit. Wondering if I can't eak out a few mph extra club head speed.

I'm crushing the Epic Flash Sz HZRDUS Smoke Green combo lately.

But, now that my swing is starting to take shape again, I'm intrigued by counter balanced shafts again. Not dropping the coin on another Pro Orange. But, I decided to snag a HZRDUS Yellow from CPO for $70 to throw in there for a bit. Wondering if I can't eak out a few mph extra club head speed.

Haha. Dude you are crazy and it’s awesome watching you try and get those few extra yards. Reminds me of what I was doing last year.

Haha. Dude you are crazy and it’s awesome watching you try and get those few extra yards. Reminds me of what I was doing last year.

Haha. More experimenting than anything. I want to have a solid understanding of how the two profiles compare come Grandaddy fitting time.

I remember feeling like the Hzrdus Yellow was easy to unleash on when I played it in a G400 last year.

Haha. More experimenting than anything. I want to have a solid understanding of how the two profiles compare come Grandaddy fitting time.

I remember feeling like the Hzrdus Yellow was easy to unleash on when I played it in a G400 last year.

Experimenting with different profiles is fun but what you saw with G400 won’t be the same with EF SZ or . You’ll need time on course and not with a monitor to get a better understanding of both profiles.

So the EF SZ continues to impress me with the HZRDUS Smoke shaft. I currently have mine set at 10* and the sliding weight in the toe. It’s been the longest and most forgiving driver I have put in play!

I figured it was about time to give my halfway point review for my Grandaddy bag so let's get this started with the Epic Flash Driver!

I'm going to be rating different areas of the driver with a rating between 1 and 5 THP exclamation points which I may refer to as Hackies in the future. I want to be very clear that these are purely my personal thoughts and the ratings are all compared to my previous experiences with other drivers in the past. Even though I was lucky enough to get these through Callaway and The Grandaddy I'm going to do my best to keep any bias toward the brand out of the reviews.

Looks: !!!
- Looks of course is a pretty subjective area depending on the person. The reason for my rating is I'm more of a fan of a deep face, more traditional shaped driver. The Epic Flash has more of that elongated look vs. my preferred traditional shape (which the Sub Zero is closer to). The color combo has of course been a source of controversy and I actually ended up painting over the yellow with some black model paint. In all honesty though I could have left it and never thought of it again since it's on the sole. Looking down on the crown another somewhat controversial feature is the line toward the face of the club. After about 3 swings this line started blending in for me and I've never thought about it since then. For some it could be a negative, for me it's a non topic.

Sound: !!!
- Even more than the yellow/green color combo the sound has been a huge topic of discussion. While it was initially a noticeably different sound than many alternatives in the market it has never been a huge issue for me. The only time it has ever bothered me is when I'm hitting rock hard range balls. In those cases it certainly can sound like a tinny rocket launcher. Outside of that it reminds me a lot of an old school titanium sound and I've grown to love it.

Distance: !!!!
- Really the only reason for not giving it 5 Hackies here is because I haven't had the opportunity to test other drivers this year to compare to. Early in the season I was quite impressed with the distance I saw in the cooler weather. As summer has progressed I've seen some the longest drives I've ever hit with a driver. Could it be my swing has changed since last year? Absolutely. However I've been playing this game for a long time and have never had this many long drives. These are certainly outliers though and when looking at my driving average without those included I would say my distance is slightly longer than previous drivers but nothing extreme, maybe 2-5 yards.

Forgiveness: !!!!
- I would put this up against any other driver I've played or tried in the past. Like many of today's drivers toe shots seem to be impacted the least when it comes to distance loss and it does a great job of keeping the ball in play without adding an overbearing hook. Honestly on the toe side of the face I don't see a huge difference vs. my past driver. The most impressive forgiveness aspect for me has been on the heel side. This is by far the best performing driver I've ever tried on those heel shots. I'm easily seeing better speed retention/distance and the ball tends to fade right in to the fairway. It's really been pretty unbelievable and extremely helpful for some of those less than stellar ball striking days.

Random Thoughts
When you think about the sound and color combo with this model it's certainly not going to win everyone over and I wouldn't blame them. It's a different sounding club compared to the carbony trend we've seen and heard lately. I truly believe it should be considered by everyone though because this thing flat out performs, especially when you look at the 3 different models they offer. Throw in the fact that you can go in to customization mode with Callaway Customs to create your dream driver looks wise is a pretty sweet feature. As someone that has a tendency to go through clubs pretty quickly it's been very, very weird that I've had zero desire to test another option so far this year. That right there is about the biggest endorsement I can give.

f3e9ff68cf4aa088caf60eca211b23ff.jpg

Great post Kev! I agree with all your rankings and summarized thoughts, except I'll give it a !!!!! In the forgiveness category.
In my time comparing to other drivers on a monitor no other driver keeps my ball speed consistently above 153mph like Flash does.

Was fitted into a 10.5 sub zero with tensei blue 65 gram avs playing at 44.5"

After trying the ping 410, m5/m6 and regular flash this had the best dispersion and flight for me.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Anyone playing an epic flash sub zero with the tensei blue 65 in stiff? What are your thoughts? I currently game the rogue max 75 in stiff and it’s one of my favorite shafts.

Experimenting with different profiles is fun but what you saw with G400 won’t be the same with EF SZ or . You’ll need time on course and not with a monitor to get a better understanding of both profiles.

Oh yeah, that's the plan. I don't have access to a monitor anyhow.

This club shined very bright in my bag on Saturday during my round, but I don't think the score really dictated it, and I blame my unwillingness to adjust during the round as the reason over a few holes. I used it 6 times and had 3 slight fades (2,13,17), 2 OB left due to drawing when I expected a fade (9,12), and one perfectly straight (18) resulting in 3 fairways hit total (2,17,18). The fades weren't much but because my usual miss was right, I aimed a little more left on the shots I went OB on and overcompensated and had really nice draws on them. In addition, the two holes I went OB on had junk or rough that stops around 270 so and with the way the ball sounded and flew off the face those two would have found thick rough or OB anyway. In the future off those tee boxes I think 3W is the smarter play since I can't really tell how far out the fairway stops, but this round was good information for me so I know how to adjust in the future...hopefully. Had the club in S/D setting for the round after changing it from -1/D at the range last time out which eliminated a big fade back then. Tempted to throw it back into that setting for my next round, and might even try something like "S/N" or even see what the sliding weight does as I've always kept that all the way in the "draw" position too. Learning curve for me with a driver since I have never had one with so much adjustability, definitely something to be aware of next round out especially on the range beforehand.

I figured it was about time to give my halfway point review for my Grandaddy bag so let's get this started with the Epic Flash Driver!

I'm going to be rating different areas of the driver with a rating between 1 and 5 THP exclamation points which I may refer to as Hackies in the future. I want to be very clear that these are purely my personal thoughts and the ratings are all compared to my previous experiences with other drivers in the past. Even though I was lucky enough to get these through Callaway and The Grandaddy I'm going to do my best to keep any bias toward the brand out of the reviews.

Looks: !!!
- Looks of course is a pretty subjective area depending on the person. The reason for my rating is I'm more of a fan of a deep face, more traditional shaped driver. The Epic Flash has more of that elongated look vs. my preferred traditional shape (which the Sub Zero is closer to). The color combo has of course been a source of controversy and I actually ended up painting over the yellow with some black model paint. In all honesty though I could have left it and never thought of it again since it's on the sole. Looking down on the crown another somewhat controversial feature is the line toward the face of the club. After about 3 swings this line started blending in for me and I've never thought about it since then. For some it could be a negative, for me it's a non topic.

Sound: !!!
- Even more than the yellow/green color combo the sound has been a huge topic of discussion. While it was initially a noticeably different sound than many alternatives in the market it has never been a huge issue for me. The only time it has ever bothered me is when I'm hitting rock hard range balls. In those cases it certainly can sound like a tinny rocket launcher. Outside of that it reminds me a lot of an old school titanium sound and I've grown to love it.

Distance: !!!!
- Really the only reason for not giving it 5 Hackies here is because I haven't had the opportunity to test other drivers this year to compare to. Early in the season I was quite impressed with the distance I saw in the cooler weather. As summer has progressed I've seen some the longest drives I've ever hit with a driver. Could it be my swing has changed since last year? Absolutely. However I've been playing this game for a long time and have never had this many long drives. These are certainly outliers though and when looking at my driving average without those included I would say my distance is slightly longer than previous drivers but nothing extreme, maybe 2-5 yards.

Forgiveness: !!!!
- I would put this up against any other driver I've played or tried in the past. Like many of today's drivers toe shots seem to be impacted the least when it comes to distance loss and it does a great job of keeping the ball in play without adding an overbearing hook. Honestly on the toe side of the face I don't see a huge difference vs. my past driver. The most impressive forgiveness aspect for me has been on the heel side. This is by far the best performing driver I've ever tried on those heel shots. I'm easily seeing better speed retention/distance and the ball tends to fade right in to the fairway. It's really been pretty unbelievable and extremely helpful for some of those less than stellar ball striking days.

Random Thoughts
When you think about the sound and color combo with this model it's certainly not going to win everyone over and I wouldn't blame them. It's a different sounding club compared to the carbony trend we've seen and heard lately. I truly believe it should be considered by everyone though because this thing flat out performs, especially when you look at the 3 different models they offer. Throw in the fact that you can go in to customization mode with Callaway Customs to create your dream driver looks wise is a pretty sweet feature. As someone that has a tendency to go through clubs pretty quickly it's been very, very weird that I've had zero desire to test another option so far this year. That right there is about the biggest endorsement I can give.

f3e9ff68cf4aa088caf60eca211b23ff.jpg

Love it KEV. Great write up.

got out a couple times over the weekend and the Sub Zero was hands down the best club in my bag. I moved the weight to the center instead of draw and really loved everything about it. Feel wise, catching one solid on the face is damn near addicting. But where this thing shined for me was forgiveness. I hit shots that nearly missed the face and still had the ball in play and still had me within comfortable distance from the green. During a time where im not playing a lot, this driver makes me want to play more

This club shined very bright in my bag on Saturday during my round, but I don't think the score really dictated it, and I blame my unwillingness to adjust during the round as the reason over a few holes. I used it 6 times and had 3 slight fades (2,13,17), 2 OB left due to drawing when I expected a fade (9,12), and one perfectly straight (18) resulting in 3 fairways hit total (2,17,18). The fades weren't much but because my usual miss was right, I aimed a little more left on the shots I went OB on and overcompensated and had really nice draws on them. In addition, the two holes I went OB on had junk or rough that stops around 270 so and with the way the ball sounded and flew off the face those two would have found thick rough or OB anyway. In the future off those tee boxes I think 3W is the smarter play since I can't really tell how far out the fairway stops, but this round was good information for me so I know how to adjust in the future...hopefully. Had the club in S/D setting for the round after changing it from -1/D at the range last time out which eliminated a big fade back then. Tempted to throw it back into that setting for my next round, and might even try something like "S/N" or even see what the sliding weight does as I've always kept that all the way in the "draw" position too. Learning curve for me with a driver since I have never had one with so much adjustability, definitely something to be aware of next round out especially on the range beforehand.

Interested to see how the adjustments work out for you. I have mine set at +2/N with weight a little right towards draw. It is longer and more forgiving than anything I’ve ever hit. I hit draws more often but my miss will be a vicious pull hook.kJust wondering if this head has a more draw or left bias to start with. Very hard for me to hit a slice and if I try it’s a push. Good for me, as I used to push/slice as my miss with all other drivers.
Moved the towards toe side one round. Still hitting bombs but more of a push shot.
Do you or anyone else feel the epic flash is draw oriented?
Does moving the weight make dramatic changes in direction or results for you guys?
Appreciate any thoughts or feedback

Callaway is clearly building great equipment these days, but these names they use, it's a bit much "Epic Flash Sub Zero Driver" - what's next, nuclear fushion hyper time technology? They could do marketing where they demonstrate if you hit the sweet spot a miniature nuclear reaction occurs, maybe even create a nuclear fallout logo?

Callaway is clearly building great equipment these days, but these names they use, it's a bit much "Epic Flash Sub Zero Driver" - what's next, nuclear fushion hyper time technology? They could do marketing where they demonstrate if you hit the sweet spot a miniature nuclear reaction occurs, maybe even create a nuclear fallout logo?

I don't know. I guess I have never put much thought into the name of a club. Rocketballz was a huge hit for TM and it was probably the worst name in golf history. But, I digress, as long as the club performs and looks good doing it, they can call it whatever they want.

Reading KEV's review above got me thinking about what I've seen from the Epic Flash SZ since I switched over earlier this spring from the Rogue SZ. Overall, I'm still holding off on making any final judgments because my driver swing has not been nearly as consistent as it usually is for whatever reason. But so far, here's what I've seen.

- I'm blown away by the forgiveness. I definitely see more consistent distance from the Flash SZ, even on mishits. I've had some terrible mishits end up in places that I generally consider a good drive.

- I don't know for sure whether I see more distance on my best shots compared to the Rogue SZ, but I definitely don't see less.

- My side-to-side misses seem a bit worse and the Rogue SZ seemed straighter, but I'm unsure about whether that is a swing issue (and it may well be). But I'm also not discounting the possibility that the APW setting could be impacting it a little. I tinkered with it a bit the other day and seemed to have better results. I may also play with the loft settings a bit to see if I notice a difference. This one is still up in the air for me.

Last edited:

So it has been up and down since I put this driver in the bag. The technology packed into this one can't be denied. Not much of a negative that I can take away, but if I was being picky it would be the head design. Playing the regular Flash the elongated head is noticeable at address, but after a few swings I didn't give it a second thought. Sound is sound and it doesn't bug me. I played a Nike Sasquatch and a Titleist 917 which many thought were loud and tinny. I am not saying the EF is muted, bc it isn't, its just not something I focus on.

This one shines is on off center hits. I know the market has plenty of drivers who help retain ball speed on mishits, but the EF has been the best based on all that I have tested. Contrary to popular belief, I didn't immediately put the EF in the bag. I had the F8 in the bag and was hitting that one very well. I also tested out the Ping G400 as a comparison. The F8 was the only one that got real course experience and I knew what I had with that driver. The G400 and EF were compared at PGA SS in their hitting bays. Not sure how reliable they are, but overall they were pretty comparable in terms of carry distance and spin. The EF shined for me with my miss (heel side). It just retained ball speeds better so that really was the deciding factor for me.

Early on I struggled with launch. Testing out the driver heads I settled on the 10.5* version and this one seemed to be working well in the hitting bay, but on the course it was launching a bit too high for my liking. I swapped out a couple of shafts and the whole time I was using the ERC golf ball. I was still seeing the ball launch too high and tracking my carry numbers I saw modest gains, but not the yardage gains I thought I would see. I borrowed a 9* head for a few rounds and while the launch did come down, so did the spin. So much so that the spin was hurting me more than helping. As a traditionally high spin player this was a head scratcher, but I had to trust what I was seeing. Also not being long off the tee (around 230 or so carry) I need all the yards off the tee I can get. So back to the 10.5* head and lets figure out what the heck is going on.

Now I know I don't have a repeatable swing, but I do feel like when I am on, I put a good move on the ball. Throwing out the outliers of some bad strikes and lazy swings, it dawned on my it might be the golf ball. I had been playing the ERC throughout this whole process. I loved every aspect of the ball, but digging into the tech I saw that this was designed to launch higher for increased distance. This ball paired with the 10.5* head was not a good combo for me. The shaft in this equation the whole time was my custom THCE which is a one off from the EvenFlow Blue. I also felt the ERC was spinning more than I cared for off the tee when I didnt hit a center strikes. Time to switch the ball

The last 5-6 rounds I put in the Chrome Soft in play. Immediately I saw a lower launch/ball flight. I have no technical numbers other than my visuals of what the ball looked like in flight off the tee with the ERC compared to the Chrome Soft. The Chrome Soft to me was launching a touch lower with a more penetrating ball flight. Carry numbers still weren't what I wanted to see, but the flight was more penetrating. Having felt the golf ball side of the equation was fixed I focused on the shaft. My THCE shaft was performing well, but maybe combined with the Epic Flash it wasn't the optimal set up for me. Poking around the internet I found an Elements Chrome shaft for next to nothing. It was in good shape and a shaft I had some success with in the past. I took a leap of faith and put it into play. The results were pretty amazing. Immediately I noticed my ball flight come down a bit, but felt like it was staying in the air longer. Dispersion tightened up as well which was a plus, but the most important thing is the carry distance increased. I was hovering around high 220's to low 230's on well struck shots, but now I was consistently in the low to mid 230 range, with a few creeping up to high 230's. FOR ME that is huge. It's like the Epic Flash, Chrome Soft and Elements Chrome unlocked a cheat code for me. The last three rounds I've been fairly consistent off the tee and recently hit the longest drive i've ever hit. Granted it was in Colorado at elevation, but I put a good swing on it to produce the results. Having @Nate watch me hit through 36 holes two weeks ago and @Southershred with me during my Colorado round helped me see I wasn't just seeing things or making something up to help my ego.

If you've gotten this far then either you love golf gear or are a glutton for punishment, either way thank you. I wrote this out to show my journey in hopes those struggling with the driver (callway or not) take the time and maybe tinker with the golf ball or a shaft that might be a better fit than what you are currently playing. Looking back I feel kind of dumb not paying more attention to the golf ball and shaft set up. While the head is important, hopefully this shows some minor and inexpensive tweaks could make a huge difference.

Last edited:
Interested to see how the adjustments work out for you. I have mine set at +2/N with weight a little right towards draw. It is longer and more forgiving than anything I’ve ever hit. I hit draws more often but my miss will be a vicious pull hook.kJust wondering if this head has a more draw or left bias to start with. Very hard for me to hit a slice and if I try it’s a push. Good for me, as I used to push/slice as my miss with all other drivers.
Moved the towards toe side one round. Still hitting bombs but more of a push shot.
Do you or anyone else feel the epic flash is draw oriented?
Does moving the weight make dramatic changes in direction or results for you guys?
Appreciate any thoughts or feedback

Thanks, I'm curious to try different setting too, just to see how they react. Of course my swing can change day to day slightly but can be fun to just spend a bucket on trying out each setting and weight adjustment to see how it reacts to my swing. Looking forward to reporting back!

So it has been an up and down since I put this driver in the bag. The technology packed into this one can't be denied. Not much of a negative that I can take away, but if I was being picky it would be the head design. Playing the regular Flash the elongated head is noticeable at address, but after a few swings I didn't give it a second thought. Sound is sound and it doesn't bug me. I played a Nike Sasquatch and a Titleist 917 which many thought were loud and tinny. I am not saying the EF is muted, bc it isn't, its just not something I focus on.

This one shines is on off center hits. I know the market has plenty of drivers who help retain ball speed on mishits, but the EF has been the best based on all that I have tested. Contrary to popular belief, I didn't immediately put the EF in the bag. I had the F8 in the bag and was hitting that one very well. I also tested out the Ping G400 as a comparison. The F8 was the only one that got real course experience and I knew what I had with that driver. The G400 and EF were compared at PGA SS in their hitting bays. Not sure how reliable they are, but overall they were pretty comparable in terms of carry distance and spin. The EF shined for me with my miss (heel side). It just retained ball speeds better so that really was the deciding factor for me.

Early on I struggled with launch. Testing out the driver heads I settled on the 10.5* version and this one seemed to be working well in the hitting bay, but on the course it was launching a bit too high for my liking. I swapped out a couple of shafts and the whole time I was using the ERC golf ball. I was still seeing the ball launch too high and tracking my carry numbers I saw modest gains, but not the yardage gains I thought I would see. I borrowed a 9* head for a few rounds and while the launch did come down, so did the spin. So much so that the spin was hurting me more than helping. As a traditionally high spin player this was a head scratcher, but I had to trust what I was seeing. Also not being long off the tee (around 230 or so carry) I need all the yards off the tee I can get. So back to the 10.5* head and lets figure out what the heck is going on.

Now I know I don't have a repeatable swing, but I do feel like when I am on, I put a good move on the ball. Throwing out the outliers of some bad strikes and lazy swings, it dawned on my it might be the golf ball. I had been playing the ERC throughout this whole process. I loved every aspect of the ball, but digging into the tech I saw that this was designed to launch higher for increased distance. This ball paired with the 10.5* head was not a good combo for me. The shaft in this equation the whole time was my custom THCE which is a one off from the EvenFlow Blue. I also felt the ERC was spinning more than I cared for off the tee when I didnt hit a center strikes. Time to switch the ball

The last 5-6 rounds I put in the Chrome Soft in play. Immediately I saw a lower launch/ball flight. I have no technical numbers other than my visuals of what the ball looked like in flight off the tee with the ERC compared to the Chrome Soft. The Chrome Soft to me was launching a touch lower with a more penetrating ball flight. Carry numbers still weren't what I wanted to see, but the flight was more penetrating. Having felt the golf ball side of the equation was fixed I focused on the shaft. My THCE shaft was performing well, but maybe combined with the Epic Flash it wasn't the optimal set up for me. Poking around the internet I found an Elements Chrome shaft for next to nothing. It was in good shape and a shaft I had some success with in the past. I took a leap of faith and put it into play. The results were pretty amazing. Immediately I noticed my ball flight come down a bit, but felt like it was staying in the air longer. Dispersion tightened up as well which was a plus, but the most important thing is the carry distance increased. I was hovering around high 220's to low 230's on well struck shots, but now I was consistently in the low to mid 230 range, with a few creeping up to high 230's. FOR ME that is huge. It's like the Epic Flash, Chrome Soft and Elements Chrome unlocked a cheat code for me. The last three rounds I've been fairly consistent off the tee and recently hit the longest drive i've ever hit. Granted it was in Colorado at elevation, but I put a good swing on it to produce the results. Having @Nate watch me hit through 36 holes two weeks ago and @Southershred with me during my Colorado round helped me see I wasn't just seeing things or making something up to help my ego.

If you've gotten this far then either you love golf gear or are a glutton for punishment, either way thank you. I wrote this out to show my journey in hopes those struggling with the driver (callway or not) take the time and maybe tinker with the golf ball or a shaft that might be a better fit than what you are currently playing. Looking back I feel kind of dumb not paying more attention to the golf ball and shaft set up. While the head is important, hopefully this shows some minor and inexpensive tweaks could make a huge difference.

Golf is fun when you're getting off the tee and putting it out there as long as possible and in the short grass. It's a perfect combination when they come together.

Back