Callaway Epic Flash and Epic Flash Sub Zero Driver

Well speaking statistics here if you play more golf, you have more opportunities to do that, right? Haha

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Hahaha, that logic is sound. :D

You two both swing really hard/fast. Not many at retail play TX versions of shafts. Hence the later release IMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought the same thing before I tried it. I don't think I actually swing that hard or fast (top out at 105ish driver speed with a pretty moderate transition), but the extended toe, slightly higher spin, and flatter look at address just fit me better I guess, and I feel more like I'm lining up/hitting a sub zero from a previous generation.

Obviously very subjective though

Finally got out to play some golf and all I can say is that the EF SZ paired with the HZRDUS Smoke is an incredible combo for me. Much more kick and feel then my T1100. You definitely get used to the sound especially when you hit high, massive cut shots into the fairway.

Hit one at a demo day and was fitted to the same setup you have but in the 9 head. Hit it a mile but that sound is going to take some getting used to. Really loud.

I’ve been absolutely murdering this driver the last 2-3 times I’ve been out. Outside of a couple blocks off the tee, which is a miss I fight, I don’t think I’ve had a better stretch of driving. I’ve been playing in windy conditions, and I’ve been surprised at how little the ball has moved in a crosswind too.

I think one of the most telling drives I had was at the scramble I played in last weekend. I hit the ball well off the toe, but otherwise a good swing. Ended up about 5-10 yards behind the longest drive marker, and we were late in the day.

Sub Zero Still leading the way in this guys mind. Hitting the ball well. I can move it left or right with no problem and the distance is incredible. I had a buddy that I have been telling to try one the last three weeks after he tried a Titleist and sold it a week later, and he said he was thinking about just trying to find one of the original Epic’s and I said you’ve got to try the flash so I handed him mine last night , He got up and smoked one down the line, looked at me with a big smile and said wow he had never hit a ball that long in a long time. He went over and showed our club house manager, And he was just giddy with excitement, Because he is looking for something also and he just kept telling him we need to go try these. And that’s all it takes!

Found a little something extra today with the triple D, I was closing the face at address (not on purpose really just was) and fighting it a bit. On the second hole today I just set it behind the ball loosely and let it just find its own spot, it looked a bit open to me but I just took my normal swing and the results the rest of the day was fairways and a couple of pretty long ones.mostly slight fade, but I could turn it over when I got after it.

New combo going into play. I played 9 holes last night and I like the initial feel from the set up. Launch appeared to be about the same if not a touch lower than my THCE, but to the naked eye dispersion was a little tighter.

36 on tap for Sunday, so I’ll be able to get a better feel (crappy swings not withstanding) for this combo.

ad9ddf41fe4c9b56a88642e442c45190.jpg

I went 5 of 6 on fairways yesterday with the SZ in the bag. Outstanding drives. The one fairway I missed, was missed left and bombed. My cartner commented that if I had aligned correctly it would've been my longest drive of the day. I hit one out of the toe on the 4th hole that sounded different and I KNEW it was going to be short and hooking. To my surprise it flew with a baby draw and still went 250yds. Same cartner asked me if I hit that out of the toe. I said yup and shrugged my shoulders. Flash Face FTW!

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Driver was a bit hot'n'cold today. Handful of perfect bombs down the pipe, but a few wayward balls as well.

The good shots today were particularly satisfying.

I fit a friend of mine, and parent of one of my golfers, into my SZ since he’s a big ole hooker and I absolutely loathe the sound/feel of it. He’s a former D1 golfer and teaching pro so I fit him to 287 carry and now I get some free lessons and rounds at Oak Tree. Win. Hahaha

I fit a friend of mine, and parent of one of my golfers, into my SZ since he’s a big ole hooker and I absolutely loathe the sound/feel of it. He’s a former D1 golfer and teaching pro so I fit him to 287 carry and now I get some free lessons and rounds at Oak Tree. Win. Hahaha
That's a win for sure!

New combo going into play. I played 9 holes last night and I like the initial feel from the set up. Launch appeared to be about the same if not a touch lower than my THCE, but to the naked eye dispersion was a little tighter.

36 on tap for Sunday, so I’ll be able to get a better feel (crappy swings not withstanding) for this combo.

ad9ddf41fe4c9b56a88642e442c45190.jpg

I'm quoting myself here because I think I unlocked a cheat code with this combination. Bad swings not withstanding, I was seeing familiar ball flight, launch and what appears to be a little extra distance. Initially I was not happy with the 10.5 head as I felt it was launching too high and robbing me of some distance. Putting in the Elements Chrome "appears" to have tamed that a bit providing a more penetrating ball flight resulting in some longer distances. I don't have any hard numbers other than measuring my drives with @Nate drives over 36 holes. Nate destroys a ball off the tee and If I can be within 20-30 yards of his tee shots I'm having a good driving day. A couple of well struck drives had me within the range I wanted so that left me happy.

I'll be a broken record with this one, but the APW works well in this head. I am not sure if its the new technology built into the head that has carried over to the APW track, but it makes it easy to dial in your miss and get some help straightening out or making offline drives a playable.

i'm going back to where this drive shines is forgiveness and retaining ball speed on mishits. I tested the heel and toe over 36 holes yesterday and I was still seeing some respectable distances for my second shot and balls not spinning offline as much as I had previously seen. I know driver is just one part of the game, but for someone who is mediocre at best with my iron game, I live and die with my tee shots. The confidence on the tee right now is as high as its been in a long time. The last time I was this confident was when I had the Cobra Bio Cell in the bag.

I'm quoting myself here because I think I unlocked a cheat code with this combination. Bad swings not withstanding, I was seeing familiar ball flight, launch and what appears to be a little extra distance. Initially I was not happy with the 10.5 head as I felt it was launching too high and robbing me of some distance. Putting in the Elements Chrome "appears" to have tamed that a bit providing a more penetrating ball flight resulting in some longer distances. I don't have any hard numbers other than measuring my drives with @Nate drives over 36 holes. Nate destroys a ball off the tee and If I can be within 20-30 yards of his tee shots I'm having a good driving day. A couple of well struck drives had me within the range I wanted so that left me happy.

I'll be a broken record with this one, but the APW works well in this head. I am not sure if its the new technology built into the head that has carried over to the APW track, but it makes it easy to dial in your miss and get some help straightening out or making offline drives a playable.

i'm going back to where this drive shines is forgiveness and retaining ball speed on mishits. I tested the heel and toe over 36 holes yesterday and I was still seeing some respectable distances for my second shot and balls not spinning offline as much as I had previously seen. I know driver is just one part of the game, but for someone who is mediocre at best with my iron game, I live and die with my tee shots. The confidence on the tee right now is as high as its been in a long time. The last time I was this confident was when I had the Cobra Bio Cell in the bag.

Yes sir! After you woke up from the first 9 holes I think this was just about the best club in your bag (less some of the chips you hit for up & downs). I still think you can get the ball out there further. When you get "sloppy" is where you slide the driver face off the ball and the face is too open and doesn't get back to square. 36 holes in one day will give you a good feeling and idea where you stand on certain clubs in the bag. You were putting it together out at Cowboys for a good while.

The APW definitely works. I've got in near the heel in my SZ and I'm not seeing any of the fade bias I thought was there previously. I'm falling more and more in love with this driver and it's forgiveness.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Yes sir! After you woke up from the first 9 holes I think this was just about the best club in your bag (less some of the chips you hit for up & downs). I still think you can get the ball out there further. When you get "sloppy" is where you slide the driver face off the ball and the face is too open and doesn't get back to square. 36 holes in one day will give you a good feeling and idea where you stand on certain clubs in the bag. You were putting it together out at Cowboys for a good while.

I definitely feel if I can eliminate the OTT I am fighting, it will straighten out and grab some extra yards. That being said I kept a mental note of your drives and mine, and I was happy to not be in another zip code.

I'm not sure if I'm keeping the Evenflow Black or the BB in. I get a little less stability from the EB, but even with a more prominent Left to Right shape, am getting some solid distance. May put in the BB in for Friday's round and test to see how much of the LR is just my swing right now and how much is the longer shaft.

The head itself is very stable for me though. Tested the toe a little bit today and though the results were superlative, particularly in distance. It's just a fast head for me.

Really enjoying this driver!

Really enjoying this driver!
I absolutely love this driver! Never been so excited to hit a driver! Sometimes I catch myself grabbing it when I don't need to because of where I need to place the ball just because I love hitting it so much!

Hit a couple of pretty filthy drives with this yesterday. Getting to the point now where my stock shape is a small fade, which is something I've been looking for all season off the tee. The trajectory I'm seeing is just impressive as well. It's high but super penetrating. Even hitting into the wind as long as I don't swipe across the face the ball is still getting out there a good ways.

5 of 7 FWs on the back 9 during my last round...been a while since that happened and it felt awesome.

Last edited:
So in reviewing my stats on Shot Scope this morning, My Epic Flash Driver and I are simply hitting the ball longer, straighter and 9% more FIR since I have had Shot Scope, which is running on 3 years now.

Don't know what more I can ask of the a club.
Now If I can just avoid trading it in for the 2020 Callaway Driver, I'll be golden.

I absolutely love this driver! Never been so excited to hit a driver! Sometimes I catch myself grabbing it when I don't need to because of where I need to place the ball just because I love hitting it so much!

Totally get what you mean! When your golf ball got a feel for what of 330 yards felt like, I don't blame you for wanting to pull it more often!!!

Built this for a friend today.

WEB2694112-3ABC8A37-FE77-B0D6-326A-668C3EC9F90E.jpg

Built this for a friend today.

WEB2694112-3ABC8A37-FE77-B0D6-326A-668C3EC9F90E.jpg

That’s the shaft I was fit into for the Titleist event.

What about their swing made you pick it for them?

Back