2019 Callaway Epic Flash and Epic Flash Sub Zero Fairways

Next Sunday is like a month away. Not that in fairway wood shopping anytime soon as I’m pretty happy with the rogue lineup, and they’re glued so I can’t exactly swap things with any sorta ease haha

I feel like you can. You just take those into your local golf shop, and trade them for some of the Flash lineup.

Next Sunday is like a month away. Not that in fairway wood shopping anytime soon as I’m pretty happy with the rogue lineup, and they’re glued so I can’t exactly swap things with any sorta ease haha

you should change that

In a pretty unexpected development my Sub Zero 5 wood has become one of my favorite clubs to hit. Even more surprising is that I'm enjoying it so much off the deck. I was a little skeptical about replacing my 3 hybrid with a 5 wood but so far it seems like the right move.

It's been extremely easy to hit from the fairway and produces a nice mid to mid-high flight. It seems to be pretty workable also. I had a situation where I needed to cut it around a tree and it was surprisingly easy to pull off. I really didn't expect it to be this much fun to use.

I managed to take the club Po’s Epic Flash 3w our in the course today. I only hit it twice. One was off the tee that was a blocky, cutty thing that still went around the 205-210m. The second was from the fairway on a par 5. Perfect lie and I hit it pretty good for my standards and it went 210m. I was really happy with that one since I struggle to launch 3 woods and have issues with longer shafts off the deck. It launched ok and I didn’t middle it but the sound and feel were great. It had a smoke 60g shaft in stiff so that might be a tad too stout for my swing.
It seems like you can see the loft at address easier if that makes sense. I had it at +2/D. I’d love to try a SZ 5w just to see if I can get better launch and contact with the shorter shaft. And or with a lighter flex shaft.

All in all I was very impressed.

Anyone in here gaming the Heavenwood yet?

I am hard contemplating that TM Mini as a 3W replacement, and then going to a 5W or HW. With the bonus ending Monday, I may trade in the EF 3W for a HW, and let that battle the 5W.

Anyone in here gaming the Heavenwood yet?

I am hard contemplating that TM Mini as a 3W replacement, and then going to a 5W or HW. With the bonus ending Monday, I may trade in the EF 3W for a HW, and let that battle the 5W.
I just bought one. I am hoping to play it tonight, if the thunderstorms hold off.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last few outings with this have been better. I may at some point try and find the non sub zero head to compare. When I put a good swing on it it's really long, at other times I have trouble with it leaking a little right more than other clubs. I was about to give up on it but am glad I didn't yet I still think there is a lot of potential.

Just ordered a SZ 5W before the trade-in bonus expires.

Looking forward to seeing how it might fit in my bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Earlier this week I rented a full bag of Callaway clubs which included a Epic Flash 5FW (18*) and Apex 3H (20*). I enjoy hitting hybrids and would normally pick the 3H over a 5FW for consistency reasons. However, I'd like to up my FW game and this meant spending time with the 5FW during the round. For starters, the EF 5FW looks increbible behind the ball. The face graphics are brilliant. I hit at least 10 shots during the pre-round range session. Ball flight and height were nice but I'd take a bit more height (hence the hybrid selection mentioned above). For me, a good fairway shot has a penetrating ball flight. Apex is 50 or 60 feet and distance is 220 yards. These shots are possible when I slow down and let the club do the work.

I used the 5W four times during the round. I flushed the first one and couldn't believe the sound, feel, and result. Yikes!, it's a rocket launcher. Two shots were above average and the last one was on the heavy side. The great shots are off the charts but even the heavy one wasn't terrible (it wasn't good either).

The pondering starts! Trade-in the Rogue 3FW (15*) and replace it with a EF 5FW (18*) and adjusted to 17*? I typically use my 3FW for two tee shots on my home course. The 5FW could easily fill this spot. However, would the 5FW replace the Rogue X 3H too? Hmmm. Trade in the Rogue 3FW and 3H for a EF 5FW and add a second driver? Decisions, decisions.

2019 Callaway Epic Flash and Epic Flash Sub Zero Fairways

Wrong thread post removed.

3W ordered to go with the driver

I pounded the heck out of my driver and the new CSx impressed me but today these fairways were the star of the show. The shot of the day was a tee shot on a 264 yard par 4 that landed just short of the pin and rolled out to leave about a 18 for putt. I always hit a beautiful 5 wood out of the rough that popped up quickly, cleared trees ahead of me and went about 225-230. That was really my first experience it if the rough with it and I was pretty surprised by how easy it cut through it.

I think the 5 wood may quickly be jumping up the list as one of my favorite clubs.

EDIT: Wrong Thread

Well after yesterday, I feel like I tamed this beast.
I had a Tour AD F-Series 65G SR shaft that I took out of an EX10 beta and had a EF adaptor put on it.
Was fading the ball a bit and then set the cog at -1/D and got nice straight shots.
The Yellow HZDRUS in 75 was just too heavy.

The -1/D on a 15* head seems counterintuitive to me however the results could not be argued with.
Excited to get the summer and some hard packed fairways.

Nice! These fairway woods are beasts.
I will second that! When I played in my tournament 2 weekends ago I was cranking the 3w. I was hitting my 3w as far as the guys on my team we're hitting driver!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

My Epic Flash 3 wood arrived Monday and I finally got a chance to mess with it at the range. I've been using DBD and Subzero versions of the fairway woods for a while now but went standard for the higher launch and the Even Flow White 75-X to try and keep the spin down. I also went with a 13.5 'cause I like 14.5 degrees and a slightly closed faced however I do not want my 3 wood to be more than 15 which bugged me about the Epic SZ 3 wood. If I went for the closed face look I would have had to put it at 16 degrees which according to the launch monitor greatly increased my spin. So my settings are +1/D so counteract the fact I fade my three woods. So I hit about 10-15 balls and all were a nice medium trajectory that didn't show any hints of ballooning. I enjoyed both the feel and the sound. My homie got the same club with the Smoke 80 shaft in 6.0 and he much preferred my club as it felt lighter to him and easier to launch. I'm not sure how far I hit it 'cause we were hitting on an overcast day but my initial impressions are this could be a great 3 wood for me and may push me towards the driver as well.

Nice! These fairway woods are beasts.

I'll second that! I hit the 5W so well that I took the 3W out of the bag. Even when I feel like I've mishit the ball with the 5W I still get more than acceptable distance, certainly better than I was getting out of any previous fairway woods I was carrying or trying to play. I always seem to get the ball up in the air on really poor strikes, even if only head high, with the 5W.

Finally hitting good tee shots with my 3wd and getting flights and distances that make me happy

I haven't really been in the market for 3 wood. But, after a couple bad outings with my 917, I'm getting the itch. I went to Austads today. While I didn't hit anything, I have to say, the Epic Flash SZ is probably the best looking of the bunch. I'm now pondering the idea of replacing my 3 wood with a 5 wood. If these are as long as you all seem to be seeing, the 5 wood may give me close to similar distance and he easier to launch off the deck.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I haven't really been in the market for 3 wood. But, after a couple bad outings with my 917, I'm getting the itch. I went to Austads today. While I didn't hit anything, I have to say, the Epic Flash SZ is probably the best looking of the bunch. I'm now pondering the idea of replacing my 3 wood with a 5 wood. If these are as long as you all seem to be seeing, the 5 wood may give me close to similar distance and he easier to launch off the deck.

That is what I have found, such that I’ve taken the 3w out of the bag. The little bit of added distance I can get with the 3w isn’t worth the inconsistency compared to the 5w. But that is me, too, not the greatest when it comes to hitting fairway woods.

I have both the 3 and 5 wood in the bag (both Sub Zero models) and I've been amazed at how stupid easy they are to hit and I'm getting done great distance. I can't imagine how easy the regular models are to hit. The 5 wood has quickly become one of my favorite clubs in the bag.

Had to a chance to demo the regular epic flash 3w at the local GG. Obviously like many of you here, I don’t trust the distance numbers on the store monitors but just pay attention to the ballspeed and launch angle and to a lesser extent spin. Tested with the stuff Tensei blue, and man the ballspeed on this head is awesome. A bit better than the rogue I demoed last year and again just to compare but what really got me was the ballspeed on mishits...very impressive. Up to this point, I was leaning towards the Titleist ts2, as all the others I’ve demoed were pretty close to each other numbers wise, but preferred the look and feel of the Titleist the best.
Gonna maybe do the utry program to test out in the wild.

Back