2019 THP Bridgestone Championship at Firestone

I’ve always had a love/hate relationship with wedges. They’re like offensive lineman in football. You don’t really even think about them unless they don’t do their job. I hope I was able to convey that. Ones already cursed, the other two, verdict is out.

Probably made a crappy decision but I didn’t think the day would come this quick. I don’t know why I thought that, but I’m not real motivated this time of year. Work, sleep, baseball coach, repeat.

Oh, I just thought of something.... hopefully not too late....

Yeah my imagination still sucks, lol. But.... at least I came up with something. Going to work on getting my speed up and hopefully we’ll play a lot of team golf, ha. I’ll be a helluva a shamble and best ball partner. Alternate shot, sorry pardner:)

I will say I’m adaptable and in an alternate shot format, I’ll strive to leave someone in a decent position, even if goes against my nature of “hit it far, find it, hit it again”.

I’ll probably be hitting a lot of 4i’s off the tee in that format. Unless my partner is a riverboat gambler. I only hit one OB the last round I played, but it was OB on the far side of 8.... I was playing 7.... sigh.

For prep I've just been playing as much as I can. Last week in league I played the best 9 holes I've ever played buy a lot (6 under my league handicap, which shouldn't happen but I guess it was fireball fueled) and then went out Saturday in cold/windy conditions and struggled to hit the ball. Mostly tops/thin shots. My handicap has dropped a bit this year already but I'm still a mixed bag. Hopefully I'll get a little more consistent with my swing by the time this event rolls around. I feel like my bag is settled for now though, so there is that.

I am very much looking forward to this though, it's going to be a blast to play an amazing course with fellow THP'ers.

Congrats on the nice round during your league! Golf is a mixed bag for 99.5% of us. The stroke delta for my rounds over the weekend was 10.

Something about ordering the stamping made this event sink in a little bit. Can’t wait to see what everyone came up with!

Totally agree. The event itself isn’t even that far away lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Got mine submitted!!!!

Cant wait to see/hear what the itinerary is going to be like!!!

What did everyone pick for their wedge setup? Why?

I went with 50* - 54* - 58* mainly because this is what I currently play. The flat grind of the 50* is perfect because I take a full swing with this club 75%+ of the time. I thought about going 50* - 56* - 60* because of the A grind (forgiving) on the 56*. My average playing conditions are on the softer side so bounce is useful. The M grind (multi-purpose) definitely reflects how I use my 54* and 58* wedges.

Requested 50* (bent to 51* based on 46* pitching... 56* and 60* - I play this setup currently. Love the 56 from sand and roughly 100yds, 60* within 75 yrds and 51* as a true fairway gapper for that 100+ shot.

Probably not an option anymore, but just for fun... what wedge would you want... Black Oxide or Satin Chrome?

Requested 50* (bent to 51* based on 46* pitching... 56* and 60* - I play this setup currently. Love the 56 from sand and roughly 100yds, 60* within 75 yrds and 51* as a true fairway gapper for that 100+ shot.

Probably not an option anymore, but just for fun... what wedge would you want... Black Oxide or Satin Chrome?

Satin Chrome for me.

We should have discussed wedge configurations last week. I like the logic behind your setup!

What did everyone pick for their wedge setup? Why?

I went 52, 56, 60. Only change from current set up is the 52. I currently have a 50 that I honestly don’t use much so I’m hoping the 52 gaps a little better. 56 is my go to from 110 and in usually and 60 for a full shot around 95 or if I’m short-sided around the green and the shot requires more touch.

Would have loved black but the Satin will be just as awesome. My current wedges are black and I love the way they look.

I went 50, 54, 58, currently have a 50 part of my set that is too chunky, and play a 56 and 60 but don't use the 60 that much and figured the 54 would be new loft to try and should gap nicely with the others. For my stamping nothing too creative had not thought too much about it

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Congrats on the nice round during your league! Golf is a mixed bag for 99.5% of us. The stroke delta for my rounds over the weekend was 10.

Looks like it was a "one off week". Didn't play well last night, it was cold and wet and my swing took a vacation to a warmer climate, but the guys were fun and we had a blast so it's still a win. We all joked about what you just brought up, the variation from day to day in our swings and how we can be on fire one night and a dumpster fire the next.

On the wedge conversation I went with 50,54,58. That fits my gapping and gives me some flexibility at the 50 hole. I'm using one length and have been struggling with the 50 (my other wedges are standard) so hopefully adding a weapon in that 95-105 range.

I went 52, 56, 58. I almost went 48, 52, 56 to see if I could give my current GW a run for the money.

I’ll try the 58* but it’ll probably end up in my kids bag. I’m not a lob wedge sort of guy and I hit my set GW so good I won’t see me replacing it. I figure at 58* I’ll give it a shot. I can hit a flip with a 52* if needed, but like 56* with some bounce for tight lies and sand.

Everyone get the 7 letter PM? I had to totally redo mine, no biggie and I think I like the new even better.

Everyone get the 7 letter PM? I had to totally redo mine, no biggie and I think I like the new even better.

I did, mine was really easy to shorten up so it'll work out great. Like you I think I like the shorter version better.

My updates are short and sweet. A bit boring, but they'll look great in the bag.

I was not confident so went with boring and simple... Even FIRESTONE was too long to stamp...

PGA player reference
sports reference
funny reference

Flight booked.
Hotels Booked

Flight booked.
Hotels Booked

Are you joining us for a pre-event round of golf?

Can you suggest a hotel or a general area? It's time to button up the details.

Are you joining us for a pre-event round of golf?

Can you suggest a hotel or a general area? It's time to button up the details.

No golf for me, not traveling with clubs.
I booked in the Fairlawn area of Akron. The Doubletree.
@Pkorf is the best help for hotels. He knows the area well and is a traveler.

Thanks for the location suggestion. We can take it from here.

Wagering is encouraged for "practice" rounds. Just sayin... :angel:

If @JB booked at the doubletree then I would recommend everyone stay at one of these hotels....

Right next door to where JB is staying apprently
https://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/o...1XX2OLA3DA4Aff5Aff6MULTIBR7_138624670_2454844

Same hotel as JB
https://doubletree3.hilton.com/en/h...ilton-hotel-akron-fairlawn-CAKFLDT/index.html

This one is within walking distance to a bunch of bars etc.
https://www.marriott.com/hotels/tra...96febe2&aff=MARUS&affname=10l1110&co=US&nt=PH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was not confident so went with boring and simple... Even FIRESTONE was too long to stamp...

PGA player reference
sports reference
funny reference

stone.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back