The 2019 Graphite Challenge with UST Mamiya

I took some time yesterday to browse the Ben Hogan website and check out the UST Mamiya options and came away impressed and very excited as to what I will be playing come November. I foresee a preliminary hard ponder post in my near future.

BigDill;n8889584 said:
I took some time yesterday to browse the Ben Hogan website and check out the UST Mamiya options and came away impressed and very excited as to what I will be playing come November. I foresee a preliminary hard ponder post in my near future.

You and me both, however I’ve been doing that for the last week ever since the sign up post went up.

mmaynard11;n8889646 said:
You and me both, however I’ve been doing that for the last week ever since the sign up post went up.

Did you see those custom color options on the UST Mamiya website? Those are so slick on the black shafts. Almost as cool as those custom gold THP recoils JB showed off earlier this year.

BigDill;n8889673 said:
Did you see those custom color options on the UST Mamiya website? Those are so slick on the black shafts. Almost as cool as those custom gold THP recoils JB showed off earlier this year.

My mind has been going crazy if that is an option with the shafts. I’m torn which way to go with the irons.

BigDill;n8889584 said:

mmaynard11;n8889646 said:

BigDill;n8889673 said:

mmaynard11;n8889758 said:
My mind has been going crazy if that is an option with the shafts. I’m torn which way to go with the irons.

It’s a lot of fun looking at the websites and pondering the options.

This is going to be the longest 2 months, ever.

Plenty of time for my game to go to complete crap, lol.

Yes sir, it will seem like it. And there is plenty of time to fine tune a game, too!

I am really looking forward to seeing what shaft options we are given for this event. I took a deep dive into the UST Mamiya site last night looking at iron shafts. I’m really intrigued by the Recoil ZT9 shafts. My last two irons have been mid to high flight, and these seem like they would fit that same profile.

But for those of you who may want a bit of assistance elevating flight, check out the Recoil ESX. It has a stiffer mid and butt section but a more active tip. I bet in the right combination you can really get some height and increase your descent angles, especially in scoring irons.

Since patience is not once of my best qualities, I went ahead and ordered the demo clubs for the Edge irons with the Recoil 780 F4 S-Flex shafts, just to give them a whirl for a few days.

I’m interested in seeing what Danny matches up with the steel shafts I have been playing. I’d like to try a lighter shaft and get the vibration damping benefits but have no idea what shaft would be similar in performance. Recoil 110s maybe?

I love learning something new about equipment.

I also can't wait to see what shaft I will get fit into. I have tested some graphite shafts in the past but have never gamed them.

djt311;n8892068 said:
I also can't wait to see what shaft I will get fit into. I have tested some graphite shafts in the past but have never gamed them.

Parrot;n8892019 said:
I’m interested in seeing what Danny matches up with the steel shafts I have been playing. I’d like to try a lighter shaft and get the vibration damping benefits but have no idea what shaft would be similar in performance. Recoil 110s maybe?

I love learning something new about equipment.

Have you guys taken a look at some of the options on the UST Mamiya site? There are quite a few options to choose from, and I think the shaft selection will be just as dependent on shaft profile as it is on weight. It's all very exciting.

Just ran through the HoganFIT tool and to my surprise and liking I was recommended the PTX Pro Irons. I definitely had my eyes on these ones.

Yes after a LONG day of calls I had to focus
my brain on some golf and this event!!!

mmaynard11;n8893006 said:
Just ran through the HoganFIT tool and to my surprise and liking I was recommended the PTX Pro Irons. I definitely had my eyes on these ones.

Yes after a LONG day of calls I had to focus
my brain on some golf and this event!!!

PTX Pro was my first rec, Edge was second. Either way, damned good looking clubs.

I got my eye on the PTX pros for sure

djt311;n8893049 said:
I got my eye on the PTX pros for sure
I can vouch for the Pros. I can vouch for the Pros with the Recoil shaft also. Yeah, lol.

I just got them in about 6 weeks ago and they're amazing. Only thing for me is the shaft might be too light. Hard to say, but when I go after one, I hit it strangely every now and again. Just coming off of some older Mizunos with DG S300. Didn't have that problem with them, they're just nowhere as forgiving as these Pros.

So I'm very eager to see how this all plays out? Is there a fitting? A selection or or has it been predetermined what clubs are available... So impatient lol. I'm sure whatever it is that it's going to be amazing and I can't wait.
b08f3222e8f2a53fbf5479ca7a2a69d6.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

BigDill;n8891974 said:
Since patience is not once of my best qualities, I went ahead and ordered the demo clubs for the Edge irons with the Recoil 780 F4 S-Flex shafts, just to give them a whirl for a few days.

Bahahahaha. You have developed a problem. And I love it.

This is going going to be such a cool event for you guys. CanÂ’t beat the black on black UST Hogan combo if I say so myself.

273b009a74bf8ff6fca237b7e1f7a4a3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
usaf_giles;n8893132 said:
273b009a74bf8ff6fca237b7e1f7a4a3.jpg

This is going going to be such a cool event for you guys. Can’t beat the black on black UST Hogan combo if I say so myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed!

Molten;n8893114 said:
Bahahahaha. You have developed a problem. And I love it.

Its only a problem if you want it to stop lol.

I cannot stop thinking about those all black Recoils on those black PTx Pros. So sharp. Clubs would have me saying things like "I'm here to make birdies and chew bubblegum. And I am all out of bubblegum." I would also then proceed to double bogey.

BigDill;n8891974 said:
Some great shafts in the 790 heads too.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I shot a PB today with a 92 on a ~6500 yard course. Nothing like being selected for a THP event to get you focused on your game.

Last edited:
That’s great, Nick! I got in 9. A maddening 43. A bogey, double bogey finish.

Let me just say I have these on my mind....

D43BFCBF-C53B-49CD-B28A-79C4DED885A3.jpeg

I am really hoping that these UST Mamiya shafts help with the right elbow discomfort I have been feeling lately. It’s not bad, but I can see it getting worse as time goes on.

Back