Justin Rose to Honma?

I’m not sure where the $10 million a year for a hat is coming from, but all of the articles I’ve seen throw out a number between 1-2 million for hats on top talent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mickelson is likely taking home $15 million a year for his deal to wear a KPMG hat.
Hats are far and away the most financially lucrative for a Tour pro, because hats are what television viewers see.

Mickelson is likely taking home $15 million a year for his deal to wear a KPMG hat.
Hats are far and away the most financially lucrative for a Tour pro, because hats are what television viewers see.

Mickelson is an anomaly and has a global presence and is recognized away from golf.

Hat's are expensive.
I would guess that a player of Justin's status may receive something like this :

Hat: $10 million per year
12 or 13 club deal: $3 million per year
Logo on shirt chest: $ 2 million per year
Staff bag large logo : $2 million per year
Golf ball : $2 million per year

Just a heads up but these are not all that close.

I wonder how many drivers Gary Woodland sold when he was even marginally relevant. I'm betting not many.

Yep, I’d go with less than not many. Haha

talked to someone about this today. sounds like it's is probably true. it will be cool to see honma displayed so prominently next year. i wonder if they are going after anybody else on tour?

talked to someone about this today. sounds like it's is probably true. it will be cool to see honma displayed so prominently next year. i wonder if they are going after anybody else on tour?

I’ve seen several places where it’s a 13 club deal and the irons will be the first in the bag starting in November. Also heard another euro guy with no contract is moving to Honma. Speculation is fleetwood

I’ve seen several places where it’s a 13 club deal and the irons will be the first in the bag starting in November. Also heard another euro guy with no contract is moving to Honma. Speculation is fleetwood

i heard he will be keeping his driver. 13 clubs is interesting, though, as that means he'll switch putters. i didn't expect that.

fleetwood would be an awesome grab! definitely some big splashes for them, which is really cool to see.

Unrelated, but what a finish at the Turkish airlines. Li and Rose separating from the pack

If they were to grab Tommy as well, duuuuuuuude

Mike Stachura from Golf Digest just wrote:

It appears that Justin Rose, the No. 1 player in the world, the current Olympic Gold medalist and the recently crowned FedEx Cup champion, is leaving the only equipment company he has known in his 20-year professional career.

At least that’s the contention of media reports from MorningRead.com, The Sun and the Irish Times. According to those reports, Rose was asked after his win at Sunday’s Turkish Airlines Open whether the much swirled about rumors of a new equipment deal were true. Rose slightly dodged the question, saying simply, “Where there’s smoke, there’s fire.”

Rose’s words lend credence to the idea that his current contract will not be renewed by TaylorMade and that he is expected to sign with Japanese luxury equipment brand Honma to start the new year. Neither Rose’s agent, Mark Steinberg, nor TaylorMade responded to requests for clarification on Rose’s endorsement contracts for 2019. A Honma official declined to comment.

Honma recently announced that former TaylorMade president and CEO Mark King would be joining the company as a consultant, although it is widely believed that King will be running Honma’s operation in North America. King, who was CEO at TaylorMade from 1999-2013, stood by Rose in his early professional days when he missed the first 21 cuts of his career and posted a stroke average of 75.18 in his 1999 European Tour season.

In his new position with Honma, King has brought with him several former top TaylorMade employees, including Jeff Letorneau as chief operating officer, as well as bringing in former TaylorMade executive vice president John Kawaja as a consultant. Tom Cismoski, who spent nearly 24 years at TaylorMade, is Honma’s senior vice president of sales in North America.

Rose would become the second top European player and long-time TaylorMade staffer to walk away from the company in as many years, following Sergio Garcia’s departure to Callaway at the start of this year. Of course, Rose might have been a tough fit going forward for TaylorMade, which was purchased from Adidas by KPS Capital Partners in May 2017. It already has more top-ranked players in its endorsement stable than any other golf brand, including former No. 1s Dustin Johnson, Jason Day, Rory McIlroy, and, of course, Tiger Woods. It also has signed a long-term deal with European Ryder Cup rookie standout Jon Rahm, the No. 8-ranked player in the world.

Honma, famous for its gold-plated clubs, artisan-style craftsmanship and five-figure price tags, has redoubled its efforts to become a major player in the golf business both globally and specifically in North America after having been purchased by Chinese businessman Liu Jianguo. Originally established in 1959 in Sakata, Japan, Honma languished in the early 2000s before being purchased by a fund run by Liu, a Chinese businessman whose company makes hair dryers and rice cookers. An avid golfer, Liu changed Honma’s business model in Asia and its sales have increased the last four years in a row to nearly $250 million. Honma now is listed on the Hong Kong stock exchange after a 2016 initial public offering. It also is the title sponsor of the Hong Kong Open.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/justin-rose-to-leave-taylormade-expected-to-sign-with-honma

Yep, its been a terribly kept secret for some time now. Nice to see others catching on now. :alien:

Another online sports outlet is saying he will be using Honma irons and Tm woods and golf balls in 2019.
79f0c6557cb6892142a594db8d35f5af.jpg

Another online sports outlet is saying he will be using Honma irons and Tm woods and golf balls in 2019.
79f0c6557cb6892142a594db8d35f5af.jpg

And others are saying 12 clubs, some 13 clubs.

And others are saying 12 clubs, some 13 clubs.

Got to love the speculation right?

perhaps the only worse kept secret was Rory to Nike.

Really looking forward to what this seemingly excellent collaboration produces.

Really looking forward to what this seemingly excellent collaboration produces.

I agree. I'm looking forward to the advertising and the "Enlightenment" of the Brand.

They have so many lines that are hard to really understand where they fit.

Last edited:
I have been playing a Honma Tour World 4 hybrid and have been very happy with it. Such a solid feel and sound off of the face. I believe the equipment will be well received by the golfing public once they become more aware of it.

I have been playing a Honma Tour World 4 hybrid and have been very happy with it. Such a solid feel and sound off of the face. I believe the equipment will be well received by the golfing public once they become more aware of it.

I agree, and honestly I think Rosey is a name that while he won't MOVE the needle get sell gear necessarily, he will create some intrigue to learn about the brand.

I agree, and honestly I think Rosey is a name that while he won't MOVE the needle get sell gear necessarily, he will create some intrigue to learn about the brand.

I wonder if they are going to stay exclusively as a high dollar brand or will they offer a competitively priced line. The Tour World line was pretty high when it was released but is now on the bargain racks.

I wonder if they are going to stay exclusively as a high dollar brand or will they offer a competitively priced line. The Tour World line was pretty high when it was released but is now on the bargain racks.

I hope so. More brands need to move upmarket to stay relevant.

Back