Kuchar - Mayakoba Caddie Drama - Your Take?

I am stunned this is still veing talked about. I shouldnt be i suppose, but am.

I did get a chuckle out of the part where the caddie said he would never work for Kuchar again. I don’t think the caddie will have to worry about that option with any pro ever again, much less Kuchar

I’m not sure how often fill in caddies are used for that week, but part of me would be surprised if that were the case. The player he caddied for previously finished top 10, he’s probably not a terrible caddie at that course. And there appears to be a reputation on tour about Kuchar being a little cheap. If that rep does exist, it’s not unlikely the caddy gets used again imo. Guessing the contract would be formalized though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kuchar confirmed to GolfChannel.com that he and Ortiz, his fill-in caddie that week in Mexico, originally agreed to a $3,000 fee for the week with a bonus amount that could up that total to $4,000. After the win, Kuchar confirmed he paid Ortiz $5,000 and also offered him an additional $15,000, which the caddie turned down.

Seems as if this story and Ortiz is being fueled by “outside forces”. If this above statement from Kuchar in his response to GolfChannel is true and an arrangement was (and guaranteed there was) before the tourney then why is it really anyone business what their agreement in place was. $5000 for a week of work isn’t to bad imho...

I wonder where all the media speculation that came out the day of Kuchar’s victory regarding the caddie’s payday came from. Multiple reports that he was going to get a massive payment were way off base.

i am disappointed that this story was such a distraction that kuch had to issue a statement. it's now his word against the caddie's word. if the caddie agreed to that fee structure, then it's his own fault. kuch certainly could have given him more, but didn't have to. my opinion of kuch isn't damaged in the slightest. these guys are free to do with their money as they wish.

Kuchar confirmed to GolfChannel.com that he and Ortiz, his fill-in caddie that week in Mexico, originally agreed to a $3,000 fee for the week with a bonus amount that could up that total to $4,000. After the win, Kuchar confirmed he paid Ortiz $5,000 and also offered him an additional $15,000, which the caddie turned down.

Seems as if this story and Ortiz is being fueled by “outside forces”. If this above statement from Kuchar in his response to GolfChannel is true and an arrangement was (and guaranteed there was) before the tourney then why is it really anyone business what their agreement in place was. $5000 for a week of work isn’t to bad imho...

Actually, Kuchar stated he had nothing to do with the additional 15,000 offer. That was his agent’s doing, as he thought everything was good. As he said, “for a guy who makes 200 a day, a 5000 week is a great week”. Some people just don’t get how arrogant that statement is. Is it true? Sure. Is it arrogant and sound like a rich elitist? Yea, in the context he stated it.

Actually, Kuchar stated he had nothing to do with the additional 15,000 offer. That was his agent’s doing, as he thought everything was good. As he said, “for a guy who makes 200 a day, a 5000 week is a great week”. Some people just don’t get how arrogant that statement is. Is it true? Sure. Is it arrogant and sound like a rich elitist? Yea, in the context he stated it.

Caddie made a whole lot of poor choices by popping off though. Could he have written Matt or Steinberg and offer his services again whenever he comes to this tournament? Sure. That could have paid dividends. Could he have asked Matt to keep his name in mind if he hears about a job opening for another player? Maybe, especially if it had gone well again if he looped for Matt and they did well again.

A whole lot of what if’s, but all for not now since that guy will likely never get a call from anyone.

I have to admit, I had no idea who Tom Gillis was or really is. Not until this came out. I guess he isn’t getting an invite to Thanksgiving dinner or a Christmas card by the Kuchar family. Lol

But how is that arrogant if it’s the truth? And we don’t know the context of the conversation when that comment was made.

I’m not sure how anyone could be offended making 2500% more than you normally make in 4 days.

In the end I think a contract was agreed on and someone got in his ear causing this mess. I seriously doubt anyone on tour who didn’t already have a negative opinion will change, & can’t imagine those who have a positive opinion of him change either.

Please tell there isn’t a go fund me campaign for the caddie going on.

Just went to his twitter account and man it's filled with replies, tweets, and retweets on this stuff even from today. He's on a campaign. Wow.

Clowns gonna clown, I guess

This statement is exactly why social media is bogus. People all want to spend Kuchar’s money, hey myself included. But, when I argue during a school board meeting (I am a school board director for my township) about the small amount paid to a substitute teacher and this might be the reason we can’t get anyone, you get the tax payers on the other side saying not my problem don’t raise my taxes or spend my money. Obviously, substitute teachers’ pay is small potatoes in my districts budget, but you would be surprised how small potatoes can get so many complaints.

People love to spend other people’s money. I still think Kuchar is cheap, rich snob.

In this example, substitute teachers making less than regular teachers is justified. They aren't responsible for making lesson plans, preparing a classroom, writing curriculum, and their heads aren't on the chopping block when standardized test scores roll in. Their role isn't the same as a regular teacher, so it is completely legitimate that they should not make the same money.

--------------------

Even apart from the "deal is a deal" talk (which is also justified and completely reasonable), El Tucan filling in as a substitute and making less than a regular tour caddie is also completely reasonable. El Tucan had zero additional expenses on the week, slept in his own bed, and got to see his family every night. The role of a regular tour caddie is being diminished when a local fill in caddie is expected to be compensated in the same manner as someone who has sacrificed the same as a regular caddie. The work expected of him when they reached an agreement prior to Thursdays round was in line with what he was being compensated. This guy is not a part of Kuchar's assembled team, he was a substitute subcontractor.

Do any of you that are speaking against Kuchar know what he normally pays his regular caddie?

Do you know what the other local caddies were paid that week?

Do you know that El Tucan actually did a good job, or at least more than 160% of what he was asked to do?

Is there a single professional athlete that meets your standards in a way that you will grace them with your fanship?

Do you even like golf?

Just went to his twitter account and man it's filled with replies, tweets, and retweets on this stuff even from today. He's on a campaign. Wow.

It's like the worst online game show ever: Berate a Millionaire Into Spending His Money Differently!

I just texted someone to offer a plausible theory on this thread.....should I share and potentially blow some people’s minds?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And TG w/ a $100 in the pot too. LOL.

I find this comical because he was "forced" into contributing to avoid looking like a hypocrite. What a tool.

And TG w/ a $100 in the pot too. LOL.

But do we know how much Gillis made last week? How do we know whether $100 was a fair contribution, or if TG is just being cheap?

Back