High School Football

JR

Reaction score
Handicap
Well, spring training is finally here. Coach likes to wait till it hits 90 to start, and he timed it perfectly. Forcast for the next 3 days is sunny, humid, and hot. 88, 90, 90 are the temperatures.
I am of mixed feelings about it all. Football is nice, and I am a senior, but it basically eliminates golf for a while. 6 months, to be exact.

I will keep this thread updated with wins/losses, funny stories, stuff like that. If no-body gives a damn about it, I'll just let her die. Sound good?

Well, I'll certainly give a damn! High School football takes up one heck of a chunk of my life. Still find time to golf though, haha.

We're still in the conditioning stage. Have a mini-camp in two weeks. I'm pretty excited to see our team out on the field doing some football related drills for the first time in a while. We're losing a lot of talent so it'll be fun to see some of the young kids.

Good luck to you! I'll never forget my days playing. Enjoy it. Keep us posted.

Well, I'll certainly give a damn! High School football takes up one heck of a chunk of my life. Still find time to golf though, haha.

We're still in the conditioning stage. Have a mini-camp in two weeks. I'm pretty excited to see our team out on the field doing some football related drills for the first time in a while. We're losing a lot of talent so it'll be fun to see some of the young kids.

Good luck to you! I'll never forget my days playing. Enjoy it. Keep us posted.

Our team is REAL young too.

We condition primarily during actual season. It sucks more, lol. 3-4 hour full contact practices, then wind sprints, hills or lines. That said, because our actual practices are so intense, our conditioning is not as bad as most. Something like 20 hills or one set of lines is normal.

We actually do zero conditioning in spring- it is nothing but drills.

Good luck, Jacob. Stay hydrated.

3-4 hour practices are a bit brutal, haha. What is your camp like?

We're a bit restricted as to what we can do here in Pennsylvania. We're allowed a non-contact mini-camp in the spring (we can put shoulder pads and helmets on but dummies/shields must be used). Other than that, we do a number of 7-on-7's and lifting/conditioning as we're not allowed contact until August. It's just crazy how quick everything is going - it'll be camp before we know it. Our team was fortunate enough to play in the state championship game last season so it'll be interesting to see what we do with a young team. This will be my third season coaching and I get more excited every year.

Camp is not bad. 10 days over 3 weeks, full pads and full contact.
We work with form mostly. Thrust drills, proper stance, tackling, 3 on 3, a lot of footwork stuff. Just straight fundamentals for about 2 1/2 hours a day.
3-4 hour practices are a bit brutal, haha. What is your camp like?

We're a bit restricted as to what we can do here in Pennsylvania. We're allowed a non-contact mini-camp in the spring (we can put shoulder pads and helmets on but dummies/shields must be used). Other than that, we do a number of 7-on-7's and lifting/conditioning as we're not allowed contact until August. It's just crazy how quick everything is going - it'll be camp before we know it. Our team was fortunate enough to play in the state championship game last season so it'll be interesting to see what we do with a young team. This will be my third season coaching and I get more excited every year.

Brings back memories. Spring was always a joke here in Florida. It was a chance to check out younger kids and try people at different positions. Other than that coaches just wanted starters to not get hurt and it gave them another chance to know what you're up to after school. Seniors didn't play though here, they just helped out coaching. Good luck Jacob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Camp is not bad. 10 days over 3 weeks, full pads and full contact.
We work with form mostly. Thrust drills, proper stance, tackling, 3 on 3, a lot of footwork stuff. Just straight fundamentals for about 2 1/2 hours a day.

Yeah, see, camp is brutal here because we aren't allowed to do a whole lot in the spring. We'll have a mini-camp the week before camp actually starts - we'll go from 8:00-2:00, Monday through Friday, and do a LOT of fundamental stuff. We start camp on August 15th this year, I think, and we'll do 3-a-days on Monday and Tuesday. Wednesday and Thursday will be 2-a-days, Friday one long practice, and Saturday is our first scrimmage. It's basically complete football immersion.

Yeah, see, camp is brutal here because we aren't allowed to do a whole lot in the spring. We'll have a mini-camp the week before camp actually starts - we'll go from 8:00-2:00, Monday through Friday, and do a LOT of fundamental stuff. We start camp on August 15th this year, I think, and we'll do 3-a-days on Monday and Tuesday. Wednesday and Thursday will be 2-a-days, Friday one long practice, and Saturday is our first scrimmage. It's basically complete football immersion.

Yikes, lol. Sounds like what we do right before season officially starts. Full pads, two a days, not much water, less rest.

good luck for the season jacob. i have recently started watching a bit of NFL on espn pretty entertaining stuff

Wishing you the best this year Jacob, enjoy that senior year, you will think back on it often as you grow older.

Good luck out there!

Have fun Jacob. Good luck!

Hey I give a damn. Good for you. That was some of the best memories in my life,playing HS Football. Enjoy and good luck . Will check back for some funny stories. Do you guys go Away to Camp. The stories from there are priceless.

Crasy to think this will be my first year without spring ball in the last 15 years since I'm out of coaching now. I'll be keeping up with it through you Jake, savor it bud, senior year is a blast.

First day went alright. 3 hours, hot sun, more thorns and stickers than a briar patch. Just another day.

I may have mislead you with my description of camp. I described spring ball. We dont do an official camp.

Lets hear some of yalls stories too guys!

Crazy - here in MA - we can't practice our sport out of season. Our governing body sets when we can start practice. Football can't start till the 3rd week in August - Basketball - the Monday after Thanksgiving and Baseball the third week in March... kind of sucks...

Crazy - here in MA - we can't practice our sport out of season. Our governing body sets when we can start practice. Football can't start till the 3rd week in August - Basketball - the Monday after Thanksgiving and Baseball the third week in March... kind of sucks...

We have some restrictions. 10 days of spring, after that, no contact until mid August.

Enjoy your senior year. Mine was unforgettable. Memories that will last a lifetime and like others have said, I think back on it often.

Whhooooooooooo boy it was warm today. Heat index was 97. No shade at all. However, first practice was much worse that todays. It just sucks getting used to pads all over again.

Saw some of last years seniors down on the field, you can really tell how much they miss it. No matter what they said about coach when he was making us run, or yelling at us, or jerking them up by their collars for acting foolish, you can see such an intense respect for him. You can tell if anyone said anything about him or the team, they would be ready to fight.

Our team has had a nickname for the last 33 years. Iron Bunch. Our mascot is the Lion, but nobody on the team considers that to be our moniker. Iron Bunch is the only thing that will do if you are a player. The lion is for the fans. We are called that because, despite being one of the smallest, least talented teams (historically), we are feared absolutely for the sheer toughness we bring to the field. Kids playing with holes in them, kids playing with broken hands, none of this is uncommon, because when you are as small as us, you have to. Another reason is the physicality we bring. There is no doubt in the area that we are simply the hardest hitting team in our region by miles. Not dirty, just hard hitting. Redneck boys raised on farm work, beans and potatoes, and tough discipline are just that way I suppose.

I say this to come into anther story. There is a local team by the name of Berry. Two years ago, they were favored by like 50 points. Heck of a squad, and they have a small college level running back. Nice guys, except their coach. We all hate that bast***s guts. Anyway, Berry figure out that the Iron Bunch wasn't gonna lay down and take the beating we were supposed to get. Nuh-uh. We hold them to a 1 TD lead the whole first half, on nothing but spite and pride. Well, rain delay come, and we have to head in for a few hours. Their coach gets caught watching film of the first half during the delay, a MAJOR rules violation. Team gets a slap on the wrist, and they end up crushing us in the second half. We finish 6-4, and lose our playoff berth thanks to that game.

Come last year, our blood was boiling. What is worse, they made it their homecoming or something like that. . Once again, they are an absolute poerhouse, and they head into halftime leading by 2 TDs, a whole lot less than they should have. In the second half, against what every odds maker said, we claw our way back. 1 TD lead, tie game, then, on a hard run, we take the lead out from under their noses, and finish them off. I will never forget the look on theirs, their fans, and their coaches faces. Their cheating scum of the coach started yelling at the refs, chucking stuff all over the place. We went to the playoff for the first time in ten years off that win. The bus ride home had never been so sweet.

The quitters have started to surface. Some of them just can't make it here. People hear how little we run and they think we are pushovers. They come out and try it for themselves and they just cannot hack it. No hard feelings at all, some just are not made for it. Hell, I know I am not. We are all crazy to go through this every year. I don't even play, except on field goal unit. That is true insanity. I have put up with it for 3 years now. People don't understand why I do it, and honestly, neither do I. I guess I just can't bare to disappoint Coach. I wasn't blowing smoke in my last post, after a few years, that old fart becomes like a father to ya. It is so weird.

Our name Was THE Crunch Bunch. We were NYS champions in the early 80's. Wow that was a long time ago.lol. Quiters will always surface fast. I made Varsity my Freshman year or should I say Freashman team , JV stole me then Varsity coach took me . My best story is having the rookies put their helmets backwards and run down the line as they got smashed. Other stuff has to be censored haha

Our name Was THE Crunch Bunch. We were NYS champions in the early 80's. Wow that was a long time ago.lol. Quiters will always surface fast. I made Varsity my Freshman year or should I say Freashman team , JV stole me then Varsity coach took me . My best story is having the rookies put their helmets backwards and run down the line as they got smashed. Other stuff has to be censored haha

I know how that goes. We used to have some pretty awful initiations, but we all decided to put an end to that crap last year. Now the meat heads have to dive through a flooded ditch after the first big rain.

Back