Somehow, Golfweek got someone from Cobra to bite..

As DeChambeau uttered those words, Ben Schomin was getting ready for breakfast in Michigan. Schomin is Cobra’s tour operations manager and the man who caddied for DeChambeau two weeks ago at the Rocket Mortgage Classic after DeChambeau and his longtime caddie, Tim Tucker, parted ways. Schomin is also one of the people who designs and builds DeChambeau’s drivers and irons to very unique specifications.

“Everybody is bending over backwards. We’ve got multiple guys in R&D who are CAD’ing (computer-aided design) this and CAD-ing that, trying to get this and that into the pipeline faster. (Bryson) knows it,” Schomin said. “It’s just really, really painful when he says something that stupid.”

DeChambeau is currently using a Cobra Radspeed driver that is 46 inches long and has 5 degrees of loft. You won’t find a club like that in your local pro shop. They are all made specifically for DeChambeau.

“He has never really been happy, ever. Like, it’s very rare where he’s happy,” Schomin said. “Now he’s in a place where he’s swinging a 5-degree driver with 200 mph of ball speed. Everybody is looking for a magic bullet. Well, the magic bullet becomes harder and harder to find the faster you swing and the lower your loft gets.”

While I would traditionally lean toward the misunderstood defensive side of things for BAD, giving him the benefit of the doubt, I think this kind of thing is unacceptable. It wasn't too hard to hear the whispers of Cobra's efforts to accommodate what Bryson was chasing, which is effectively what we're all chasing... Acceptable misses.

Problem is, he's swinging like a lunatic and as I've said from day one of the bulk talk, it's great and all fun until he's wayward, and no one can fix wayward.

My question is, what the hell did he expect?

I haven't laughed this hard in a while. Thank you @Canadan i really needed that today.

While I would traditionally lean toward the misunderstood defensive side of things for BAD, giving him the benefit of the doubt, I think this kind of thing is unacceptable. It wasn't too hard to hear the whispers of Cobra's efforts to accommodate what Bryson was chasing, which is effectively what we're all chasing... Acceptable misses.

Problem is, he's swinging like a lunatic and as I've said from day one of the bulk talk, it's great and all fun until he's wayward, and no one can fix wayward.

My question is, what the hell did he expect?

Yup. He wants to swing like a LD player, but there's a reason they only need to get 1 ball in the grid.

Last edited:
And people WONDER why other people don’t like the guy. Accept the fact your swing sucked today. It’s fine. It happens. Don’t blame the club like some Jack ass 12 handicap playing in the open championship.

“I’m living on the razors edge” “it’s quite finicky for me” this driver face sucks”

Cobra should be defensive:

Bryson IS an Internet Golfer....... "it's the clubs fault!"

As DeChambeau uttered those words, Ben Schomin was getting ready for breakfast in Michigan. Schomin is Cobra’s tour operations manager and the man who caddied for DeChambeau two weeks ago at the Rocket Mortgage Classic after DeChambeau and his longtime caddie, Tim Tucker, parted ways. Schomin is also one of the people who designs and builds DeChambeau’s drivers and irons to very unique specifications.

“Everybody is bending over backwards. We’ve got multiple guys in R&D who are CAD’ing (computer-aided design) this and CAD-ing that, trying to get this and that into the pipeline faster. (Bryson) knows it,” Schomin said. “It’s just really, really painful when he says something that stupid.”

DeChambeau is currently using a Cobra Radspeed driver that is 46 inches long and has 5 degrees of loft. You won’t find a club like that in your local pro shop. They are all made specifically for DeChambeau.

“He has never really been happy, ever. Like, it’s very rare where he’s happy,” Schomin said. “Now he’s in a place where he’s swinging a 5-degree driver with 200 mph of ball speed. Everybody is looking for a magic bullet. Well, the magic bullet becomes harder and harder to find the faster you swing and the lower your loft gets.”

That someone was on his bag 2 weeks ago, right? 😂

That someone was on his bag 2 weeks ago, right? 😂
Turns out, yeah.

I wonder if he spent that entire week telling Bryson why face angle is actually pretty critical in the hitting process, while Bryson attempted to break down metallurgy and radial weighting on every off strike..

I said it in another thread. I think frustration and the lack of polish in interview and lack of awareness for Bryson got the better of him..

If he manned up, took the bullet and did another interview stating that he didn't mean to attack Cobra that he was simply frustrated and vented, and ended up kicking the dog that was just sleeping by the door so to speak. I think it would largely be water under the bridge.

The question is will he do it. If he issues a statement, I will say that is not good enough. He needs to do it in front of a mic.

Also, I think he is starting to prove my not many play a 5 degree driver and see much success out on tour..

Turns out, yeah.

I wonder if he spent that entire week telling Bryson why face angle is actually pretty critical in the hitting process, while Bryson attempted to break down metallurgy and radial weighting on every off strike..
I think Bryson should reach out to Neil deGrasse Tyson… see if he’s available to carry his bag and talk metallurgy and physical properties of carbon fiber 😜

This is why it's hard to like him. It's never him. He's thrown every piece of gear under the bus the last few weeks, even the ball, instead of just saying he didn't play well.

I honestly think he'd feel and play better (recover in the moment specifically) if he'd just admit it a bit. Say it out loud man. There's freedom and power in that.

Something, something, protecting his brand. Sheesh!

Lots to break down here.

4 of 14 fairways today, Bryson had this to say;

I also think the way he plays that flyers are far worse for him then others.

Lots to break down here.

4 of 14 fairways today, Bryson had this to say;

The worst part of this is the end IMO. He sounds like he is insinuating that when the ball is in the middle of the fairway he is fine, but Cobra can't make him a driver to keep him in the fairway.

I said it in The Open thread and I will say it here. He knows that what he is chasing is going to lead to some bad shots. He will take some lumps, but trust that on the total after hundreds of drives on dozens of courses the advantage of that length will even out to saving him several more strokes and on the weekends when he is in really good form he will be in the mix for a win. He also knows from time to time the lumps will congregate and he just has to swallow that. He also knows that when he is swinging that hard his own margin of error is tiny.

Example leaving the club 1* open face to path will slice the ball farther right at 130 MPH swing speed than it will at 100 MPH swing speed all else being equal. Another problem is it's also more difficult to control face to path at 130 MPH than it is at 100 MPH.

Basically own your process, take your lumps, and be grateful for all the people who have stood beside you and helped you go down a path no one has gone down before.

I also think the way he plays that flyers are far worse for him then others.
I think golf is a game of control, even if that 'control' is related to power.

When he maxes out, he should expect nothing and hope for the best. It's just NOT the way to win tournaments and it has been proven time and time again.

This is why it's hard to like him. It's never him. He's thrown every piece of gear under the bus the last few weeks, even the ball, instead of just saying he didn't play well.

I honestly think he'd feel and play better (recover in the moment specifically) if he'd just admit it a bit. Say it out loud man. There's freedom and power in that.
Sure is. Pride comes before the fall. Humility is never a bad thing IMO. No one ever gripes about someone being humble.

as @Stemmy66 said, golfweek didn't get just anyone. they got THE guy who works with bryson to try to dial him in. this work goes back to day 1. i imagine bryson has been high maintenance long before he started this transformation.

as polarizing as bryson has become, i don't think these comments will hurt cobra. i think the people who are hyperfocused on golf to the point that they even pay attention to this kind of thing will already know about bryson's antics, and will know enough that his issues don't relate to the average weekend warrior.

as @Stemmy66 said, golfweek didn't get just anyone. they got THE guy who works with bryson to try to dial him in. this work goes back to day 1. i imagine bryson has been high maintenance long before he started this transformation.

as polarizing as bryson has become, i don't think these comments will hurt cobra. i think the people who are hyperfocused on golf to the point that they even pay attention to this kind of thing will already know about bryson's antics, and will know enough that his issues don't relate to the average weekend warrior.
I think he's proven long enough that he's incredibly challenging to work with, and while his success will reward those who stand behind him, the real challenge will always come from his low points.

Let me just say this..

Kyle Berkshire competes in long drive events with Cobra heads. He has no issues hitting the grid consistently... and that's at 150+ mph CHS/225+ ball speed.

"A good carpenter never blames his tools," seems like a fitting saying here..

Back