2020(1) Summer Olympics

Is that a fair comparison? She’s risking severe injury with every competition. This was her barely executing an easier vault than the one she had intended to compete. And Jordan did step away from his team for more than just one game.

thats a fair point. will be interesting if shes back out there in 2 days or not.

Sure, had biles taken the year off, or walked off at the trials, this would be a totally different story.

Again, you never know what someone is going through so I'll just leave it at that.
The timing is terrible for sure.

As you said, we never know what someone is going through. This really doesn't seem like it's something that could have possibly been predicted, it's like something in her brain broke. She faltered a bit in trials and had some issues in team qualifying, too. Almost seems like it's in line with the yips, only instead of adding an extra stroke to a golf score she could get paralyzed with a bad miss.

thats a fair point. will be interesting if shes back out there in 2 days or not.
I hope so because I love watching her compete, but at the same time she’ll have to face the questions about what changed between the team and individual competition. I can’t imagine the pressure these athletes are under so hopefully she can get through this.

Kerri strug she is not.. The most talented gymnast probably ever. Seems to have been very overwhelmed with everything since the last Olympics.
I think based on watching her routine's in the prelim she was just not into it. I don't think she wanted to do it another year and as we all know once the motivation is gone the execution will follow. I think the networks wanted the story to be the most physically gifted gymnast ever dominating the games, but that was the 2016 story. The story this year is the most physically gifted gymnast had to stay in the sport for an entire extra year that she didn't really want to spend doing gymnastics.

I hope so because I love watching her compete, but at the same time she’ll have to face the questions about what changed between the team and individual competition. I can’t imagine the pressure these athletes are under so hopefully she can get through this.
If she can't participate, would anyone else from the US be able to? I'm thinking there might have been some that would have qualified if not for the 2/country rule.

If she can't participate, would anyone else from the US be able to? I'm thinking there might have been some that would have qualified if not for the 2/country rule.
That I don’t know. Hopefully there’s an alternate system in place.

I think based on watching her routine's in the prelim she was just not into it. I don't think she wanted to do it another year and as we all know once the motivation is gone the execution will follow. I think the networks wanted the story to be the most physically gifted gymnast ever dominating the games, but that was the 2016 story. The story this year is the most physically gifted gymnast had to stay in the sport for an entire extra year that she didn't really want to spend doing gymnastics.

ya, you could be right. I think we will agree that the window for world class female gymnasts is the smallest window in all sports.

It's obviously just speculation from all of us, but I would be really, really surprised if an athlete with her resume of success and dedication to the sport just decided she didn't want to do it during the biggest stage of her career. I think there has to be a more serious struggle she's dealing with and I feel so bad for her.

They just had a gymnastics gym owner and coach from here in Louisville on the local news. He said it looked like she had a mental block on pulling off one of the moves. He said it can cause a hitch. Sounded kind of like having the $***** in golf. Obviously just speculation on his part too, but an interesting thought.

They just had a gymnastics gym owner and coach from here in Louisville on the local news. He said it looked like she had a mental block on pulling off one of the moves. He said it can cause a hitch. Sounded kind of like having the $***** in golf. Obviously just speculation on his part too, but an interesting thought.
Now watching it it's clear that's what happened. She needs a coach to pick her up. This is where she needs some support. What are the coaches doing?

Ledecky having a less-severe Missy Franklin type Olympics. Hope she can dominate in the real long distance events.

Dominant win for Ledecky as USA goes 1-2 in the first ever women’s 1500m swimming.

And the Philippines and Bermuda have won their first ever gold medals! Philippines also has a boxer who clinched at least a bronze. Awesome stuff!

Count canoe slalom in the category of events where an amateur competing for reference would be interesting. I have never been canoeing but I’m assuming I would capsize right out of the gates.

Count canoe slalom in the category of events where an amateur competing for reference would be interesting. I have never been canoeing but I’m assuming I would capsize right out of the gates.
Ha, watching that now. So brutal. I'm not sure it would be great for an amateur to die.

Ha, watching that now. So brutal. I'm not sure it would be great for an amateur to die.
Abandon ship Abandon ship ...... make your way to life boat .,,,, hahaha ooops sorry there aren’t any ... lam with you there , looks like every muscle gets tested and your core would be very strong... which by natural selection eliminates me 😬👍

…and if you can’t deal with the pressure, then you’re not truly great IMO.

She's out of the all-around. Jade Carey taking her place.

There are a number of theories floating around about that fiasco the other day. One is: maybe she didn't prepare for Tokyo (for whatever reason - the delay, disinterest, whatever), and thought her skill alone would carry her to a bag full of medals in Tokyo, but she quickly found out on day one that she wasn't prepared and is going to use "stress" or "depression/anxiety" as an excuse.

Who knows what the story is. Who knows how this will play into her legacy.

She's out of the all-around. Jade Carey taking her place.

There are a number of theories floating around about that fiasco the other day. One is: maybe she didn't prepare for Tokyo (for whatever reason - the delay, disinterest, whatever), and thought her skill alone would carry her to a bag full of medals in Tokyo, but she quickly found out on day one that she wasn't prepared and is going to use "stress" or "depression/anxiety" as an excuse.

Who knows what the story is. Who knows how this will play into her legacy.
This theory kind of glosses over the fact that she qualified for every individual event and was the top all-around qualifier. Something was clearly off with her, but even then she was still the best in the world on Day 1 of the Olympics. Unfortunately for her, the team, and all of us wanting to watch, whatever the issue was seemed to be getting worse and thankfully she recognized it and pulled out before something terrible happened.

I think this hits closest to the mark. At 24 she’s in the twilight and at this point she may feel she has nothing left to prove.

I haven't watched a moment of the Olympics and don't feel like I've missed anything. Golf is the only thing I may watch.

I've been watching more of the obscure events this year than usual. It is crazy how short some of these competitions are. An archer could train for years and be done after 9 arrows.

I've been watching more of the obscure events this year than usual. It is crazy how short some of these competitions are. An archer could train for years and be done after 9 arrows.

I really enjoy fencing, archery, shooting etc but don't get to see them when I'm tuned into NBC. It's just unfortunate that I really don't get to see any of these events.

I have nothing but admiration for Miss Biles, she has overcome enormous adversity to rise to the top of her sport and suffered abuse from all sides.

If she says she is not fit to compete, respect her and leave the girl alone.

I have nothing but admiration for Miss Biles, she has overcome enormous adversity to rise to the top of her sport and suffered abuse from all sides.

I agree with what you have written. Unfortunately, I don't think that the media can leave her or what she is going through alone.

Maybe you implied it here, but it's worth reminding and emphasizing that she was literally abused as a gymnast. She's the only member of the current team that was a victim of Nassar, so there is a lot of trauma associated with that in addition to the "normal" stresses of being the most dominant gymnast of all time and the crap that high profile people have to deal with on social media.

the most dominant gymnast of all time

That person would be Larisa Latynina, with 18 Olympic medals - three times as many Olympic medals as Biles.

Back