What is it About Top Line?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I read all of the time about top line and unable to play something, my question is what is it about the top line? I can understand sole size, off set, etc. but top line confuses me a bit. Whether that be because of Utility or hybrid use or progressive sizing it only seems to matter in certain spots.

Purely preference? Self assurance in some way? Help me understand.

To me, I feel like the top line is just an aesthetic element. Having played ginormous shovels for 10 years and now into 921F's, the change in top line didn't scare me due to a reduction in 'friendliness', but they sure look a whole lot more appealing to hit.
As far as looking down at a club and being afraid of swinging it, for me that goes towards knowing what's behind the sweet spot of the club and how big the face is.

Thick looks chunky/big, makes me think big and chunky, and I shallow out as a result. Like I'm hitting a utility. It screams I will not glide through the turf. I don't mind thin at all, in any iron, as long as it doesn't make the blade look long, because I like compact clubs. It just needs to fit with the rest of the look of the club and it's probably fine for me. For the irons I play, I don't really mind a top line more towards medium. Doesn't look bad to me, and it tends to help up on the face, so why not. I don't think I'm a top line loony, but I do dislike the boxy ones. Even if they're not bigger, it makes them look bigger (is it that hard to bevel?) and I react to what I see again. As I get towards shorter irons I want a look that more and more let's me think it'll cut through anything well if I want it to. Ultimately it's the sole that counts, but past associations, actual trends, whatever, it has an effect on what I see from above and I think it'll be like below.

Last edited:
To me it is aesthetics either look down at a clean thin line or...

I really only care about one part of the topline. That is where the topline meets the hosel. That transition is something I notice right away. Other wise thick or thin within reason is not biggie to me.

• Admin
I really only care about one part of the topline. That is where the topline meets the hosel. That transition is something I notice right away. Other wise thick or thin within reason is not biggie to me.
I bet certain wedges must drive you nuts

Never have really thought about the top line. Then again, I have been playing the same style iron forever so they have likely always been pretty darn comparable. I think a really thin top line would cause me more concern than a thicker one because it would put in my mind that it is very demanding to hit and I already struggle to pure my irons consistently.

Basically all of what @OldandStiff said. Chunky is no bueno.

I can tolerate medium, but looking down and seeing a sleekish top line. Just fills me with confidence.

Personally it comes down to a visual preference in setup. I’d prefer to look at a cleaner top line not even necessary thin but one that flows and looks beautifully designed vs some that look rather odd to me. I cannot for the life of me get myself to like the look of the SpeedZone irons as I felt it was a bit too distracting as is the case with some others that have sharp toes that don’t seem right in my eye.

Thick looks chunky/big, makes me think big and chunky, and I shallow out as a result. Like I'm hitting a utility. It screams I will not glide through the turf. I don't mind thin at all, in any iron, as long as it doesn't make the blade look long, because I like compact clubs. It just needs to fit with the rest of the look of the club and it's probably fine for me. For the irons I play, I don't really mind a top line more towards medium. Doesn't look bad to me, and it tends to help up on the face, so why not. I don't think I'm a top line loony, but I do dislike the boxy ones. Even if they're not bigger, it makes them look bigger (is it that hard to bevel?) and I react to what I see again. As I get towards shorter irons I want a look that more and more let's me think it'll cut through anything well if I want it to. Ultimately it's the sole that counts, but past associations, actual trends, whatever, it has an effect on what I see from above and I think it'll be like below.

Your a fan of the zx7 irons. I would not call that a thin top line. It’s not thick either.

Top line doesn’t bother me as much as junk in the trunk haha

i think if it flows well with the iron, I will play it. I have more of a problem if the flange on the sole sticks out on the longer irons.

I could play either of these equally. Speaking of only the top line. The cobra transition is perfect on this iron.

7650E2D0-44DF-43CD-944D-93B4E494D9A0.jpegC1C9392C-E3EA-4FCA-9A78-DD64254717E3.jpeg

Your a fan of the zx7 irons. I would not call that a thin top line. It’s not thick either.
I'd call it medium, and in line with the rest of the club. They're a pretty balanced shape imo, but being honest - I hadn't played them in a while, and when I did, they looked massive in a variety of ways. Lol Top line included. Just relative to what I was used to though. And with them, the V Sole confidence is nothing to sneeze at when it comes to getting down on one. Godsend.

Since an iron is a shaping tool or a scoring tool, anything more than a slightly medium top line is too chunky to my eyes.

I've never understood why a thin top line is intimidating to some players. I view it the other way around; a chunky-looking club doesn't look like something that I can shape shots with or hit to consistent distances.

Similarly, I'm more comfortable with compact heads -- irons, woods, putters -- than I am with larger bulkier heads.

I read all of the time about top line and unable to play something, my question is what is it about the top line? I can understand sole size, off set, etc. but top line confuses me a bit. Whether that be because of Utility or hybrid use or progressive sizing it only seems to matter in certain spots.

Purely preference? Self assurance in some way? Help me understand.

Here's a game-improvement iron I photoshopped to make offset close to 0". Iron length is relatively short, so the only major difference from player's irons is topline/depth of the iron head. I agree that with most of the other comments that a thick topline is mostly aesthetic. Yes, I could play these irons and probably be fine. No, I would not really want to look down at these irons all the time.

How about you though @JB, would these be something you'd consider playing?

lrl0077-right_1__45145.1604642394-2.jpg

Here's a game-improvement iron I photoshopped to make offset close to 0". Iron length is relatively short, so the only major difference from player's irons is topline/depth of the iron head. I agree that with most of the other comments that a thick topline is mostly aesthetic. Yes, I could play these irons and probably be fine. No, I would not really want to look down at these irons all the time.

View attachment 9029640
Yup. Wouldn’t blink an eye and have. had a 34 on the back 9 with Cleveland Altitudes playing with THPers.

Seems fair to say depends a lot on skill level. Most folks (generalization not an attack on anyone) who don't like a thick top-line seem to be better golfers and want to be able to shape their shots. I'm the opposite, when I see a thin top-line I think oh man how far off am I going to miss with this thing with one of my patented terrible swings :LOL:

Totally agree with you on this one JB. I'm confused by it as well. Don't really care about the top line and how thick or thin it is.

View attachment 9029640
I feel like hybrid irons that look like this already exist, and are pretty well received.

I do seem to recall a time when these were extremely popular. Maybe the thickest topline to be played on tour.

1632441259923.jpeg

Yup. Wouldn’t blink an eye and have. had a 34 on the back 9 with Cleveland Altitudes playing with THPers.

Had to look these ones up. 34 is seriously impressive with these irons! Honestly though, these really aren't that offensive. Maybe it's the shape - these actually look "not terrible" :p

1632441582814.png

The top line is what you see when you set the club behind the ball prior to hitting a shot. Every. single. time. You don't see the cavity back/insert/sole etc., you see the top line and maybe a bit of the face.

Therefore, the top line must be something that you are comfortable looking at or one that inspires confidence.

I would relate it to the keyboard of a computer; you might have the latest, greatest most powerful computer/laptop going, but if you're not comfortable with the keyboard it's certainly going to take something away from the machine.

Back