Will You Retire to a Golfing Community?

We're considering snowbirding to a FL golf community. Have made some friends down there at a smaller community (not the Villages, but not far).
The prices of homes/condos and property seems a bit crazy... I'm not sure i want to drop that much $ on something right now, and then see values drop. (Then again, they could continue to creep higher, but my gut says a drop is coming). Need to do some more homework as we are coming up on the time to make a decision....

Edit: At this time, there are "only" 3 courses in this development, plus a 9 hole track.... So, if we DO pull the trigger on a place, and find that they get crowded or overloaded, there are plenty of very nice courses in the surrounding area as well so... that's a plus.

The fact that i can own my own golf cart to tool around in is a silly, yet HUGE factor for me. Who would think that tooling around in a little electric cart would be an aspiration of a grown man as he approaches retirement ?? i am SO easily amused, much to the chagrin of my wife :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
For some reason being a rural country boy the golfing communities simply do not appeal/fit to me. Not sure unless it is the country boy part of me.

I seriously doubt it. Wife doesn’t golf so the main consideration would be quality and quantity of courses. Would like for my main course to be within 15 minutes and have a few other really good options within an hour. We will probably look to uproot once she retires and head to a slightly cooler climate. Idaho may be an option, but not sure I can deal with not golfing year round.

Just realized I didn’t actually answer the question, I just wanted to talk about The Villages 🤦🏻‍♂️

Yes, in a golf community. I want my own cart, I want to pay a trail fee, and be able to go out whenever I want (pending a tee time and all that)

No, not a 55+ Community. That’s a hard no.

I'm 95% sure we will not. I'm sure there will be courses close, but not a community. It'll be find a house and hope there's a course I like. That is if I'm still able to really play in those retirement years.

Technically even if rumors were true, does it even matter? Not unless you are planning on slinging it around out there...

That being said, we like the southern pines area. Lots of golf around there, so probably yes.

• Haha
Reactions: JB
Good chapter in Tom Coyne's America book on the Villages. Probably reinforces stereotypes though.

I am 32...and already planning for a golf community retirement haha! I recently adjusted our savings and retirement plan with that in mind. My wife's parents have a gorgeous house on a cove in mid coast Maine that she wants to retire to but is open to becoming a snowbird as long as she sees some of the four seasons. I like four seasons too but more like 2 weeks of snow at Christmas time, get a ski run in and I'm done for the year. I am picky with house features (living in an apartment now I hate cooking with electric) but she is more location picky. Just wants to be difficult!

We would like to be on the water or a golf course but probably couldn't afford to be on the ocean so golf course is good. She also doesn't like seeing neighbors unless they are in the community room so one with vegetation in between like Kiawah is good. She also likes variety of golf. That's the number 2 hang-up besides costs why she doesn't want to join a club right now (I have a friend who bought a boat before a house so what's a membership before a house!) So that means a community with many courses and can be easily traversed is a must. Looking at probably South Carolina and Georgia. Florida might be too congested for us (she lived in North Bay Village, FL for a while). I like Kiawah and that area if the price is right, HHI, Bluffton, Savannah area, and the Golden isles

My AL home/neighborhood is wrapped by holes 10-13. It's great to walk out late in the day with a few clubs, etc. Also nice to take the golf cart to the club to chill, eat or hit the practice range. Love it.

No because where we're looking doesn't have any and we need to be near the beach for the Minister.

I wouldn't mind retiring to a golf community, especially if I could handle most of my travel needs with a golf cart. As an alternative, I wouldn't object to having a house on or near a course. Right now we live about 8 miles from my home course. I trailer my cart to the course, but I'd love to be able to just hop down the street in it. Alas, Mrs. Rebel has said we'll move again when our ashes are in urns. :confused:

This is an interesting point. Not sure how it would work if a partner didn't play golf.
Most 55+ communities are filled with non-golfers and offer tons of activities and clubs so that people can meet like minded individuals and enjoy their time.

It's not necessarily that it wouldn't work, more that I don't know if I'd pay the premium for a golf community vs another in that situation.

Although, the counterpoint is that if I was steps from the course, I could play a hell of a lot more with a lot less impact on my non golfer wife...

:unsure:

I keep peeking at listings in the Bluffton/Hilton Head area. Not locked in at all, but something I am interested in.

I remember looking at the Bluffton area. That seems nice.

Thought about, and decided against it. Decision was based on what happened with retirees in Mesquite NV.

Actually bought property there to build on. Crime rate seemed high. Sold the property. Also, quite a few of the retirees tend to be a little on the snobbish side.

So we settled in smallish, safe town with two great golf courses 2-3 minutes away. Walking gets me to either one in 8-10 minutes. Most Vegas golf courses are 30 minutes away by car. Another 30+/- courses with in an easy 60-90 minutes drive.

Another plus is a great medical facility is about 3 blocks away. At our age, that's pretty important.

No, I don't think something like that is in the cards for me... I mean retiring... or a golf community. I'd like to I think... but I'll probably have to work until I'm dead. and my wife and I are stuck where we are. We've accepted that.:LOL:

I would like to retire to a golf community and have the ability to get to the course(s) by cart. It would be preferably somewhere in the Carolina's and not on the coast. Wife has very unhealthy fear of Hurricanes for some reason. Only time will tell though.

That is the plan…as long as there is a beach included for my wife.

Our plan has and will be at some point. Our last two homes have been country club adjacent and our condo is in a golf resort community. As we travel the country for work and visit more and more, the golf cart lifestyle is very well liked by us and activities to stay sharp are incredibly important.

Although retirement isn’t for another 15-20 years for me, I’m leaning towards myrtle beach.

I would have liked to retire to a golf community in the south. But once my wife and I became grandparents we aren't going anywhere. Parents of a good friend of mine retired and moved to FL. My friend wishes they played more of a role in his children's lives. It gave me pause when he said it but now I can't imagine not being around for our granddaughter.

Won’t be moving to Florida or Arizona. Kids and grandkids all in Oklahoma City and Dallas area. Love the idea of golf community however not sure what’s available in say Dallas area. Damn kids anyway🤣🤣🤣

Would love to retire to a golf course, but maybe not something that's strictly a community like the Villages. My wife wants to move to the country when we retire. I kind of have my eyes set on Granbury, TX (about an hour south west of Ft Worth). Small town, close enough to a large city to be able to access needs. medical, or entertainment, and there are 7 golf courses in town or nearby.

I don't think I'll move to a golf community, but golf is such a big part of my life right now and retirement is getting very close. The reality is that despite the long winters away from golf, I really love Northern Michigan - especially the Summer and Fall. Not sure I could pull off dual residency in a warmer climate, but that's fun to think about right now as well.

I’m retiring wherever @Canadan is retiring.

Back