New Release: Callaway Apex UW

Does the Callaway Apex UW take narrow wood width tipped shafts or wider iron width tipped shafts like the Epic SH?

Bumping to hopefully get an answer.

Does the Callaway Apex UW take narrow wood width tipped shafts or wider iron width tipped shafts like the Epic SH?
Takes standard .335 wood shafts

Still no shipping. I honestly forgot I even ordered one.
I have not received any updates from PGA SS since ordering on 10/27. I reached out to Callaway customer service yesterday and they confirmed that my order shipped out Tuesday.

My 17° was received a week ago at my US dropbox, it will come up on next shipment to Canada. Took about 2.5 weeks from time of order until receipt from PGA SS. Our season is basically over here so will be an over-winter “let’s get to know each other” affair on my buddy’s skytrack.

Screenshot_20211112-003630_Video Player.jpg

Posting this as an example as just how dang easy this thing is to hit. I really do feel like there's a lot of forgiveness in it.

So my miss is heel side, typically, but a combination of trying to hit a big sweeping draw to position between the trees and a tired body made me do about 12 things wrong and I toe'd the crap out of it. I mean really not good contact at all. Besides the fact that it still managed the big sweeping draw to perfect position instead of going all ducky on me, it went impressively far for really soft (flooded) conditions. I didn't gps anything, and there was a slightly helping breeze, but I had 82 left to the pin in the exact spot I would have wanted it. I went from going 'OH SWEET JESUS' right after I hit it to 'Oh, that's actually pretty good' when it landed.

It's a good club.

Also, we put one together for a friend of mine with some unique needs and he hit the heck out of it today. Easy launch, didn't spin anything up in the wind really, and just had a great time hitting it well. (y)

Marc Leishman chipped in with a UW today in Houston!
Just saw it! Cool shot with a UW, and love that he's playing it. I could pretty much play his whole bag and love it. Ventus Black on a Speed, the UW, TCBs, ... I've enjoyed watching his equipment this year.

I have not received any updates from PGA SS since ordering on 10/27. I reached out to Callaway customer service yesterday and they confirmed that my order shipped out Tuesday.
I ordered from PGA and didnt get any updated info. First email I received was a FedEx tracking email from Callaway. Sure enough the UW's showed up 2 days later. Got an email from PGA superstore probably a week after they were already delivered that they shipped

I ordered from PGA and didnt get any updated info. First email I received was a FedEx tracking email from Callaway. Sure enough the UW's showed up 2 days later. Got an email from PGA superstore probably a week after they were already delivered that they shipped

Likewise, I got email with FedEx tracking and less than an hour later another saying was delivered 😜.

I missed a fairway today with this club. We were kind of looking at each other like.. what just happened? Needless to say it was on me, but when it's rare enough to kind of stop you in your tracks, that's a club that's not going anywhere anytime soon.

I’m not feeling the love yet. I hook this club and bought it because of supposedly fade bias. I’ll give it another go tomorrow but I need a 210 fairway finder.

View attachment 9043643

Posting this as an example as just how dang easy this thing is to hit. I really do feel like there's a lot of forgiveness in it.

So my miss is heel side, typically, but a combination of trying to hit a big sweeping draw to position between the trees and a tired body made me do about 12 things wrong and I toe'd the crap out of it. I mean really not good contact at all. Besides the fact that it still managed the big sweeping draw to perfect position instead of going all ducky on me, it went impressively far for really soft (flooded) conditions. I didn't gps anything, and there was a slightly helping breeze, but I had 82 left to the pin in the exact spot I would have wanted it. I went from going 'OH SWEET JESUS' right after I hit it to 'Oh, that's actually pretty good' when it landed.

It's a good club.

Also, we put one together for a friend of mine with some unique needs and he hit the heck out of it today. Easy launch, didn't spin anything up in the wind really, and just had a great time hitting it well. (y)

So are you setting up your bag with Driver, 3w, 17* UW, and then into 4i?

I keep thinking this could be a good one for me. I like my Mavrik 18* hybrid because it flat works off both the tee and deck, and I find it easier to hit/more forgiving and than a narrower more iron like "Pro" hybrid model. Might have to go browse the LGS sometime.

So are you setting up your bag with Driver, 3w, 17* UW, and then into 4i?

I keep thinking this could be a good one for me. I like my Mavrik 18* hybrid because it flat works off both the tee and deck, and I find it easier to hit/more forgiving and than a narrower more iron like "Pro" hybrid model. Might have to go browse the LGS sometime.
No, I don't carry a 3W. And that thing is basically a 4W for me, but more useful. I've been doing the 2 driver thing, UW, 4i a lot, but with one driver down I've been doing my summer versatility setup of Driver, 17* UW, UT, 4i and that's been really nice.

That's one of the things I like about it. It does really well in the rough like one of the pros or peanuts without being that little and feeling so hard. The plate-ish front and step to some trail relief really does have something imo over a flat bottom hybrid of similar size.

No, I don't carry a 3W. And that thing is basically a 4W for me, but more useful. I've been doing the 2 driver thing, UW, 4i a lot, but with one driver down I've been doing my summer versatility setup of Driver, 17* UW, UT, 4i and that's been really nice.

That's one of the things I like about it. It does really well in the rough like one of the pros or peanuts without being that little and feeling so hard. The plate-ish front and step to some trail relief really does have something imo over a flat bottom hybrid of similar size.

taking the STZ, 300 and UW out for the tourney today...4H instead of 4i, tho :(:ROFLMAO:

Got to hand it to Callaway. Had a custom 21* UW within a week of ordering it. Got it 1/2” over standard (41”) with UST LinQ purple and a Larkin Sonar grip. Only hit it once today on the course (no time for the range). I hit it fat, so really can’t comment too much on anything, but it was more forgiving than I expected for the compact size. Was 195 out on a par 5 into the wind and chunked it and was just off the green on the left side. As bad as I hit it I expected to be 15 yards or more short.

Going to get out to the range tomorrow with the rapsodo to get some data compared to the 7W I currently have in the bag.

my group was impressed with the UW shots today...i didn't even take out a driver at all today :eek:

I keep stopping in at our local shop to see if any have come in and of course nothing. I even stopped in quickly at Golftown when driving through Edmonton for hockey last weekend and them they didn’t have any. I need to see and hit one of these, I can’t decide whether it takes the place of my hybrid or 3 wood? Or maybe I won’t like it but that sounds highly unlikely

View attachment 9043643

It's a good club.

That is a really nice shot shape.

So got some swings with the 21* UW at the range and busted out the Rapsodo to see how it stacks up against my current club in that slot.

Incumbent: Taylormade Sim Max D 22*, 42" long with graphite design 65S shaft.
- one of my favorite clubs, easy to hit, only issue is sometimes I hit it further than my 4W and worried with swing changes about the Draw bias in the head.

Challenger: Apex UW 21* 41" long with UST Mamiya Linq Purple 6F4 (65 gram stiff flex)

I expected the Apex to be more consistent in distance, but probably a touch shorter because of the 1" shorter shaft length. That was not the case.... I hit the UW 9 yards longer on average and was more consistent with it..... now this is only about 8 shots with each club, but the results were really consistent between both clubs.

Think I will throw the UW in the bag for the next couple rounds and keep doing some testing on the launch monitor. Want to try them both on quad with my gamer ball to see if those numbers hold up.

Order pushed to 1/17-1/24

I'm going to have to cancel. Guess I can go the eBay route. 😕

Order pushed to 1/17-1/24

I'm going to have to cancel. Guess I can go the eBay route. 😕

You definitely need it before then. eBay all the way. (y)

Back