Harbour Town Golf Links - Hilton Head Island, SC

littlepingman

Reaction score
Harbour Town Golf Links is my favorite Pete Dye golf course. Probably because it is the least Dye-ish of all of his courses. It was one of his very early designs and was built in collaboration with Jack Nicklaus.

The course is known for being tight with very small greens. This can obviously make for a very difficult day on the course if you are struggling with your accuracy. One interesting thing about Harbour Town is accuracy isn't your only worry. Trajectory control is equally important. I don't care who you are, there will be shots on this course that require working it not only left and right, but up and down. You will find perfectly good shots leaving you scratching your head wondering what to do next. In this situation you just have to take what the course gives you. Working the ball has always been a strong suit of mine and I really enjoy a course that not only allows you to do this but also forces you to do it as well.

The conditioning of the course was top notch even in July. The course is difficult but fair. I shot a 78 my first time out and that included double bogeys on two of the par three holes. I think this is a course that would play much easier on the second attempt.

104_2355.jpg

104_2356.jpg

104_2357.jpg

104_2358.jpg

104_2359.jpg

104_2363.jpg

104_2364.jpg

104_2365.jpg

104_2366.jpg

104_2367.jpg

104_2368.jpg

104_2369.jpg

104_2370.jpg

104_2371.jpg

104_2372.jpg

104_2373.jpg

104_2374.jpg

104_2375.jpg

104_2377.jpg

104_2378.jpg

104_2380.jpg

104_2381.jpg

104_2382.jpg

104_2384.jpg

104_2385.jpg

104_2386.jpg

Man you must have a degree in photography! Some if not the best camera work I have ever seen. You need to come to the outing in May at PGA National WPB and bring your camera and that great golf game with ya.

Great photos, Thanks for sharing. I love the HH-Bluffton area.

Great pics.

Great shots! My favorite golf courses are older ones with huge towering tree lined fairways. I love that stuff!

I cuss the roots underneath the pinestraw on right side of #1 everytime I go by that spot. LOL

Shame our forecaddy was horrible!

Last edited:
johndeere10 and I will be teeing it up here again this Saturday. Really looking forward to playing it again, its one of those courses that I think you really need to play it once to get a feel for it. I remember after the first time I played it I knew if I immediately replayed it I could have easily knocked 5 or 6 shots off my score.

I'll be sure to snap a few more pictures.

Hopefully we get a better forecaddie this time.

Make sure Andy finds the water alot. :D

Make sure Andy finds the water alot. :D

All those free TM Penta balls will certainly come in handy then! :laughing:

Only balls I lost were holes that didn't have any water on them.... :banghead:

All those free TM Penta balls will certainly come in handy then! :laughing:

Only balls I lost were holes that didn't have any water on them.... :banghead:

I can't make that claim. I dunked balls in the aqua on two of the par threes my first time around.

Maybe you won't need your 250 yd 3wd shot to 5 or less feet so many times this go around! :D

What time are you playing? Do you have 4? How much does it cost these days?

What time are you playing? Do you have 4? How much does it cost these days?

2:24. Yes we have 4. With forecaddy fee it will be around $170 total.

I think another reason I'm looking forward to this round is the first time I played it I had a brand new set of irons and driver. Its not a good course to try to learn your equipment on during the middle of a round... haha

Rats, ya have 4 - I will be arriving at HHI noonish - staying for a week. I haven't even decided if my clubs are coming with me, since we usually beach it and ride bikes pretty much every day, but for another shot at Harbour Town (last played there in 1987 - shot 77) and a chance to play with you guys the clubs would make the trip. Of course $170 would put a major dent in my seafood diet for the week....

Well they are aerating it starting Sunday. We were playing the following week but changed it to this week due to that.

Back