The 60 and over Thread

Took me forever to convince my buddy to move up, but he finally did.

Anyway, I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow for the purpose of seeing if I'm good to go for cataract surgery. I can't imagine what could prevent it. I take zero prescription drugs, and if this guy wants to put me on any, I will refuse. And for two reasons. One, my Mom lived to be 86, and took no scrips, and what killed her (abdominal aortic aneurism) a scrip would not have helped. Two, what happened to my younger Brother. He was working for the university, and when he got vested and was set up with the Cadillac health care plan, he decided that it wouldn't hurt to get a checkup. Well, the quack he got was on of those pill pushers. "You're BP is slightly elevatedm so I'm going to put you on this. You're cholesterol is slightly elevated, so I'm going to put you on that. And your whatever is slightly elevated, so I'm going to put on the other." Long story short, his liver got fried, he's now a Type 2 diabetic, and grossly overweight! So, I have my reasons.
Everyone is different but I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes over 10 years ago. If I had rejected taking meds, I am sure that I’d be dead right now. A friend got diagnosed shortly after I did. He didn’t take his meds, and ate whatever he wanted. First, he lost his foot, then the rest of his leg. Not long after that he had to go on dialysis and was dead within a year. Everyone has to decide to do what works for them.

The doctor who had to fill out a form to tell them that I was OK to undergo the cataract surgery.
I didn't have to get any kind of 'OK' or have any tests run to be approved for cataract surgery. I had all sorts of tests required before my TKR but not for cataract surgery.

Keep your head up and pull your pants up as you stand up, bend at the knees and not the waist.

Practice bending at the knees before you get the surgery done. Not for exercise but to make sure you can do it before you need to do it.

I didn't have to get any kind of 'OK' or have any tests run to be approved for cataract surgery. I had all sorts of tests required before my TKR but not for cataract surgery.

Well, that was at your place, not my place. On the many, many forms I had to fill out, I indicated that I did not have a primary care physician, but also that I took no prescription drugs. Maybe they didn't believe me, because that seemed to be a considerable focus of the form. Seemed to me to be a real CYA move.

Practice bending at the knees before you get the surgery done. Not for exercise but to make sure you can do it before you need to do it.

Yes, that could be an issue! I had an ACL reconstruction done right after the procedure was developed. Didn't have arthroscopic surgery yet, so they had to lay me open pretty good! I had ripped my knee up 3 times. The first time playing football, the next 2 playing basketball. Before the ACL recon, all they could do was drain the knee and have me do mucho leg extensions, to strengthen the quads in order to support the knee. This surgery was done over 40 years ago!

I recently discovered something that's really helping my game. It won't be for everyone, but for those that can it should really help your game.

I've found that as I age the lower body no longer automatically moves like it once did. Can you relate? One of the results for me is I found my legs playing more of a supporting role rather than actively involved in the swing.

I first tried to get my legs involved by pushing off the back leg to get onto the front foot. This helped with contact, but didn't really translate to much improvement in swing speed.

Lately, I've focused more on ground forces and I've regained all the distance I lost, which as you can imagine has me really stoked. More important, it's actually much easier to do than the pushing off the back leg focus, which required more leg strength and challenged balance.

To see if you physically can incorporate this into your game, try this.

Get about a 3 foot string and securely tie a good size nut or large washer to the end. Next, grab the opposite end of the string and use your hands and wrists to twirl the nut in a circle on a vertical plane beside you. Make sure you do this beside you in an area where you have lots of space so you aren't at risk of hitting yourself or someone/something else.

Now make the nut go faster by gently pushing off the ground as the nut approaches the bottom of the swing and releasing the pressure into the ground as the nut approaches the top of the swing. If you can do this, you have enough leg strength and body control to help your game.

Some instructors talk about a squat and thrust move. That implies far more power and athleticism than is required to benefit from this move. Frankly, for every Justin Thomas whose squat and thrust is quite visible there are 10 PGA Tour players whose move is not visible, BUT IT IS STILL THERE.

It took me a while to get the timing back, but once I did WOW! ...and leg strength was never the issue. If you can make the nut accelerate, you have enough leg strength to do this.

One word of caution. Make sure you pressure through your feet and legs, NOT by standing up during the downswing. When you spun the nut on a string there was no possibility of standing up because you already were standing up. But when you are in your golf setup position you might be tempted to do so. You've already proven you have the feet and leg strength required. Trust in that.

I hope this helps some of you as it has me.

Good post! This is why I want to use my Silver Sneakers membership to get into the local YMCA. Not to work out hard, but just do some toning, especially for my legs. Witht the ACL reconstruction I mentioned before, I've lost quite a bit of muscle mass in my right quad. Also, I feel that I could definitely make use of more leg strength overall! There's an old saying that when you lose your legs, you lose your swing!

Last edited:
I recently discovered something that's really helping my game. It won't be for everyone, but for those that can it should really help your game.

I've found that as I age the lower body no longer automatically moves like it once did. Can you relate? One of the results for me is I found my legs playing more of a supporting role rather than actively involved in the swing.

I first tried to get my legs involved by pushing off the back leg to get onto the front foot. This helped with contact, but didn't really translate to much improvement in swing speed.

Lately, I've focused more on ground forces and I've regained all the distance I lost, which as you can imagine has me really stoked. More important, it's actually much easier to do than the pushing off the back leg focus, which required more leg strength and challenged balance.

To see if you physically can incorporate this into your game, try this.

Get about a 3 foot string and securely tie a good size nut or large washer to the end. Next, grab the opposite end of the string and use your hands and wrists to twirl the nut in a circle on a vertical plane beside you. Make sure you do this beside you in an area where you have lots of space so you aren't at risk of hitting yourself or someone/something else.

Now make the nut go faster by gently pushing off the ground as the nut approaches the bottom of the swing and releasing the pressure into the ground as the nut approaches the top of the swing. If you can do this, you have enough leg strength and body control to help your game.

Some instructors talk about a squat and thrust move. That implies far more power and athleticism than is required to benefit from this move. Frankly, for every Justin Thomas whose squat and thrust is quite visible there are 10 PGA Tour players whose move is not visible, BUT IT IS STILL THERE.

It took me a while to get the timing back, but once I did WOW! ...and leg strength was never the issue. If you can make the nut accelerate, you have enough leg strength to do this.

One word of caution. Make sure you pressure through your feet and legs, NOT by standing up during the downswing. When you spun the nut on a string there was no possibility of standing up because you already were standing up. But when you are in your golf setup position you might be tempted to do so. You've already proven you have the feet and leg strength required. Trust in that.

I hope this helps some of you as it has me.

See the Dr. Kwon thread.

“The sick joke of this industry is that the people who benefit the most from any performance advantage in a golf club are those who need it the least: those who swing it 130-140 mph,” Parente said. “Whereas someone who swings 70-80 mph, and can use every single yard, they don’t get much advantage unfortunately. That’s just due to physics; they’re not generating enough club head speed to see big differentials between equipment.”

Regardless, the best way to ensure you’re optimizing distance under the rules of golf, at your current swing speed, is to get with a trusted fitter to dial in your equipment. If you want to increase swing speed, you can also try long-driver Kyle Berkshire’s recent tips, or even try using a golf tee that reduces friction.

https://golf.com/gear/drivers/golf-robot-tests-illegal-driver-farther/

I've tried demo drivers at the range. To be honest, I haven't found one as comfortable to hit as my 5 year old Cobra Driver. Most of the drivers I've experimented with were not any further and they all were less accurate. A Callaway did seem to go a little further but I kept hitting high fades that would drift too far right with it. I use a stiff shaft. I might not have the swing speed for it any more but I've adjusted my swing to this shaft and I don't want to change. I'll use this club till it falls apart.

I've tried demo drivers at the range. To be honest, I haven't found one as comfortable to hit as my 5 year old Cobra Driver. Most of the drivers I've experimented with were not any further and they all were less accurate. A Callaway did seem to go a little further but I kept hitting high fades that would drift too far right with it. I use a stiff shaft. I might not have the swing speed for it any more but I've adjusted my swing to this shaft and I don't want to change. I'll use this club till it falls apart.

Anyone just give up, on a body rotaion swing and go with a senior swing, more arms driven. This one seems interesting.

No - I've gone to the Dr. Kwon Thread and have been working on the body driven swing and its flow. I'd always done a hybrid swing, went to an arms driven for a month or two because my son's instructor was into that method.

But my instructor is more into a body-driven Kwon - so I caught his vids, then the Doc Kwon thread appeared and I went into his YouTube vids, which showed me the errors of my hybrid ways. Kwon, who studies the human body and how to generate speed, explains the body-driven swing and gives you drills to make it habit forming. So I'll try that for the next year and see what happens. Edit - also using Stack just to keep my speed slowly increasing.

Last edited:
Anyone just give up, on a body rotaion swing and go with a senior swing, more arms driven. This one seems interesting.

Like Desmond, I've gone the opposite direction. Don't get me wrong. An arms-driven swing has its place with seniors that simply cannot turn anymore. But the adedge that range of motion trumps effort every time and that big muscles trump small muscles when it comes to generating power suggests that if you have ANY range of motion and ability to utilize the core muscles, you would benefit from doing so.

That’s a great video. I’ve seen it before, and forwarded it to a lot of guys in my Tuesday members league.
Quite honestly, there aren’t many of us who care to devote the time to constantly revamping our swings, we’d rather play. This video is refreshing in both the simplicity and honesty from the instructor.
Like most senior players, I’m more a “swing your swing“ guy. Some guys are into constant tweaking and revamping their swings as much as others are into equipment. At the end of the day, it’s a game/sport/hobby. Whatever floats your boat.

I think we do the most with what we have. At 61, I haven't yet lost that much. But that time is coming. While I do a lot of stretching even when lounging around, there will be a point where I'm going to start losing flexibility and strength, when the little bit of arthritis I currently have turns into something that will severely limit what I can and cannot do.

In the next several years, I believe there will be some improvement in my golf game through better technique and a better mental approach. At some point, however, the natural aging process will counter those gains. As that occurs, I'd rather play golf with a modified swing than not play golf at all.

The exercise that comes with walking the course is an important aspect of my golf. Now I'm starting to experience an issue from that much walking. The idea of slowing down doesn't bother me as much as the prospect of simply ceasing an enjoyable activity altogether.

I simply can't walk the course anymore, tried about 3 years ago. Had to give it up, I do strech and work on rotation. I have ordered a senoir flex shaft and an adapter that fits my driver. Want to see if that helps me get some distance back. As someone said getting old isn't for sissies.

Thinking about the video further where the pro suggests to point the butt end of the club towards the ball line, I think it is better to think of Hogan's pane of glass and stay on plane that way - on the backswing. Often we have to modify tips to make more sense for ourselves.

I'm not totally giving up flexibility and body movement, next week I am getting a TPI assessment and will be working with a trainer. Has anyone else gone this route and see improvement in range of motion and better ball striking?

That’s a great video. I’ve seen it before, and forwarded it to a lot of guys in my Tuesday members league.
Quite honestly, there aren’t many of us who care to devote the time to constantly revamping our swings, we’d rather play. This video is refreshing in both the simplicity and honesty from the instructor.
Like most senior players, I’m more a “swing your swing“ guy. Some guys are into constant tweaking and revamping their swings as much as others are into equipment. At the end of the day, it’s a game/sport/hobby. Whatever floats your boat.

My son's instructor is teaching him a hands/arms driven swing. It's much more than this video. I took a couple of lessons from him just to see what it was like over a couple of months- it was powerful, but if you close that chest too soon, you're dead left. You must allow the body to support the arms. You've got to be supple and relaxed so the lower body supports the arms/hands.

And hint - do not use the arms-driven swing on swings less than 70-100 yds or you will dig to Chinya. It's more of a lower body rotation shot. I made that mistake once on the course. After digging, I asked his insructor. He said, "yes, there are two swings. - the short game is more of a body rotation."

My instructor teaches a body-driven, kind of a Dr. Kwon type swing. So after figuring out what my son was supposed to do, I went back to my swing.

Edit to Add - the way my son's instructor begins the swing is the arms move first until they are around your rear pants pocket, and then the shoulders and hips will want to move back as you swing the club up. Your arms stay relaxed. At first, when you get to the top, you may want to pause for a moment, then swing those hands away from you and down (shallow) while not giving up your wrists, swing with max acceleration, don't try to do anything but move those arms along the body and the body will respond.

The drill to start off is a feet almost together drill with ball just ahread of lead foot. Arms/hands only. Body will respond a little. I like this drill.

Just swing the arms relaxed with them "releasing" from the top - meaning swing those hands at peak speed right from the top. It's a pendulum theory type of swing.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Thinking about the video further where the pro suggests to point the butt end of the club towards the ball line, I think it is better to think of Hogan's pane of glass and stay on plane that way - on the backswing. Often we have to modify tips to make more sense for ourselves.
I wish I knew how to in bed a video, but I don’t.
If you’re open to something that really worked for me, check out a video called “golf swing made simple” on YouTube. its part of a series by Scratch Golf Academy’s Adam Bazellgate. I’m not sure, but I think someone posted it in this thread a few weeks ago.
The backswing tip alone is worth your time. It’s super simple, and probably helped me more than any other video I’ve ever watched. I was always fiddling with my takeaway and position at the top, now I don’t even think about it. Btw he has a similar thought to the grip thing you mentioned, only he talks about the shaft instead.

I'm not totally giving up flexibility and body movement, next week I am getting a TPI assessment and will be working with a trainer. Has anyone else gone this route and see improvement in range of motion and better ball striking?
Never done the TPI assessment. Let us know how it goes.

Golf has been around for about 500 years. We have made tremendous advances in that time, from organ transplants, to sending people into space, to having the world at your fingertips via your cell phone, etc. As far as golf goes, while we have made advances in equipment, no one has been able to simplify the golf swing.

On another note, one of the things we can do to lower our scores is to develop a good short game. The beauty of doing this is you don't need to be young or athletic to develop a good short game. I work on mine a lot and it has been a real stroke saver. Our 5-time club champion says he wishes he had my short game. I am not trying to brag here, only pointing out how important a good short game is for us because as a rule we don't hit a lot of greens. Anyone can develop a good short game. It just requires putting in the time.

As far as distance goes, I solved that issue by moving up to the senior tees (I am 66). So, instead of hitting fairway woods into a lot of par 4's, I can now hit irons.

I also work on managing my way around the course. For example, no hero shots. The percentage of pulling one off are low. The only time I will try one of those shots is in a match play situation.

I have a friend who plays on the LPGA Tour (Megan Khang). I have known her since she was 10 years old, and her father is a good friend (who is also a golf instructor). The other day I was hitting balls next to Megan and it never gets old watching her swing a golf club. Her consistency is breathtaking. For the fun of it she hit a left-handed 6-iron (she is right-handed), and was striping it. She plays a game I am not familiar with, and that I will probably never be familiar with. So the point of all this is I work with and accept what I have and what I can and cannot do. I keep in shape, I practice, but I am learning to accept what golf gives me on any given day, and not get too frustrated when it gives me 💩.

Golf is a hard game, no matter how you slice it (pun intended), so I try to simplify it where I can, e.g., develop a good short game, play the correct tees, manage my way around the course.

I just turned 67, have gained 8 mph over last 4 months to 98 mph, workout most mornings - row for 20 min, treadmill for 20 min, lift a few weights, stretch before all of this, do Stack 3X week.

It took me time to find a routine. I tried afternoons, pm, but work interferes, so when I get up during the week, it's 2 glasses of water, and start the stretch.

While I've been working on my long game, I devote much practice to the short game - chips, pitches, flops, bunkers, finding the chinks in my armor, getting wedges and a putter that fits and studying techniques that keep me athletic and relaxed.

Over the last 3 yrs, I've gone from SGI, GI, to Players Distance irons and now Mizuno Pro 223. I'm getting better as I get older. Wish I knew as much as I know now 20 yr ago. But accept the present.

If you want to accept age, whether because of time or injury, I understand. If you don't have those challenges, there is no reason to accept age.

Back