The 60 and over Thread

I will watch with interest - I have had an inguinal hernia (right groin) for a little over a year, and have the pleasure of pushing my intestines back inside the abdominal wall a few times most every day. Not much pain and I have gotten good at the pushback, but I know the tear has gotten worse and will need to address it sooner rather than later. I still work but can manage to avoid physical labor for however long is needed, and I have gotten used to long breaks between golf outings, but I am interested in first hand details on recovery times.

I will watch with interest - I have had an inguinal hernia (right groin) for a little over a year, and have the pleasure of pushing my intestines back inside the abdominal wall a few times most every day. Not much pain and I have gotten good at the pushback, but I know the tear has gotten worse and will need to address it sooner rather than later. I still work but can manage to avoid physical labor for however long is needed, and I have gotten used to long breaks between golf outings, but I am interested in first hand details on recovery times.
I do not have to do any pushing, but if I sit too long, or stand too long (and too long is sometimes just a few minutes, other times it's a long time, i get that bulge, and at times it can be quite painful, it's on the right, and it occasionally makes the boy on the right a bit sensitive - or more than normal. So, I used to work out a lot - 3-4 days a week, included 5 k run (about 5.5 to 6mph), and 15 minutes on stair master then leg and arm upper body weight machines, and finally core/back - on this last machine I have had about 140lb for a good while - and did around 100 reps - oh and a 25lb kettle bell for squats and throws (same time) about 25 reps. I assume it was one of the last 2 things that blew it out (plus being 61). Thing is, I have been doing all this for over a year without incident. Then this.

Now, I am told, no kettle bell, no core, no running (walking fast is ok) and lower time on stair master - oh, and upper body/arms only from sitting position. I still work out but now 2 -3 times a week, I do admit to hitting about 50--75 balls into the net in the basement every day - so that's something too - and it can aggravate the hernia as well.

I could wait, but I know 2 things, 1: it will only get worse, and 2: I want to minimize golf season impact. Oh, 3, I waited on my hip replacement and suffered needlessly for a good 16+ months. So, why suffer?

Just hit the 6-0, and just added a 7w to the bag, thinking of dropping the 3i and 4i maybe to get one more wedge in play.
Glad to see this thread.
I'm also new to this section... Thinking similarly about a 7W...
I love my 7W!
But to be honest, I struggle with hybrids, so that might be part of the reason I dig the 7W so much. Just seems way easier to hit good shots with the Mavrik Max

I have managed a hernia for over a decade. It bothered me a little after I started playing golf so I had it checked out by my PCP doctor. As I couldn't tell exactly where it was she said that surgery wasn't needed. A month later it stopped bothering me.

I have managed a hernia for over a decade. It bothered me a little after I started playing golf so I had it checked out by my PCP doctor. As I couldn't tell exactly where it was she said that surgery wasn't needed. A month later it stopped bothering me.
Yea. I’ve been told i can wait, but it’s not gone away. It improves when i first wake up, but standing too long or sitting wrong wake it up.

i also exercise a lot, running and with weights. Was told those were not the best things for me.

it’s not bothered me too much swinging the club. But teeing up can be a bit painful.

I’ve had it 2+ months now, there have been perfectly ok days. But they’ve been in the minority. Oh long walks also cause flare ups, and i prefer to walk when i play.

such is life i guess.

I guess you can't have an over 60 thread without a lot of conversation about health. I've been fortunate but I can feel some aches and pains creeping in. The biggest concern is that they will eventually slow me down. I want to be the guy still walking the course into my late 70's but I have to accept the possibility it may not happen. Right now, walking the course is the most beneficial activity I do. Take that away and I feel like other health issues are going to be hard to control.

I've been told I need back surgery and shoulder surgery. My hips ain't too good either. 30 plus years of pitching on a men's fastpitch softball team has taken its toll on the hips and shoulder. I've always had a back problem since my early 30's due to an accident.

I'm avoiding surgery because I don't want to be laid up for long period. My wife's back and hips are worse than mine. She's had multiple surgeries and they haven't helped much. I do most the housework and yard work now. I can't afford to be recovering for a few months.

I was at the range a few days ago and felt a sharp pain in my shoulder swinging the driver. Not the bad shoulder. Its the other side. The one the doc said needed surgery hasn't bothered the golf swing. I stopped swinging the driver the rest of the range session. Its slightly sore now so I'm hopeful its not something that will stick with me like my back. Surgery and hospitals ain't my thing. I avoid them like the plague.

SENIORS

Looking for more distance. Getting older every day. Late sixties present age. Played with a gentleman the other day who, like me, is a senior golfer in his late sixties. To the point: he was using a non-conforming USGA driver. Informed me his driving distance was ten to 20 yards further using the driver. He did outdrive me. Why not? I only play for fun now and will probably purchase an illegal driver. I'm not concerned about tournaments or anything that is competitive.

Thoughts ...

SENIORS

Looking for more distance. Getting older every day. Late sixties present age. Played with a gentleman the other day who, like me, is a senior golfer in his late sixties. To the point: he was using a non-conforming USGA driver. Informed me his driving distance was ten to 20 yards further using the driver. He did outdrive me. Why not? I only play for fun now and will probably purchase an illegal driver. I'm not concerned about tournaments or anything that is competitive.

Thoughts ...

I'd have zero problems with anyone doing that so long as you say, they're not playing in serious competitions or talking smack about out-driving everyone.

SENIORS

Thoughts ...
If you're out there having fun, why not. Personally I'd prefer an illegal driver that had more accuracy. I'm 65 and don't have the distance I had 15-20 years ago, but I'm better with the driver now than I was back then. Back then I seemed to be good for one 300 plus drive per round. But I also missed most fairways. Now I hit a lot more fairways. I still hit the occasional 250-260 yard drive. Mostly in the 220-230 range. That is good enough from the standard white tees. Now if I can only figure out the rest of the clubs.:confused:

SENIORS

Thoughts ...
There are also companies which take your current driver and shave the face to point of being above legal limit for rebound. I looked into that but decided not to go that route.

SENIORS

Thoughts ...
when it eventually gets to the point for me that I start thinking about illegal drivers, that will be a clear sign that I am playing from the wrong tees.

Took me forever to convince my buddy to move up, but he finally did.

Anyway, I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow for the purpose of seeing if I'm good to go for cataract surgery. I can't imagine what could prevent it. I take zero prescription drugs, and if this guy wants to put me on any, I will refuse. And for two reasons. One, my Mom lived to be 86, and took no scrips, and what killed her (abdominal aortic aneurism) a scrip would not have helped. Two, what happened to my younger Brother. He was working for the university, and when he got vested and was set up with the Cadillac health care plan, he decided that it wouldn't hurt to get a checkup. Well, the quack he got was on of those pill pushers. "You're BP is slightly elevatedm so I'm going to put you on this. You're cholesterol is slightly elevated, so I'm going to put you on that. And your whatever is slightly elevated, so I'm going to put on the other." Long story short, his liver got fried, he's now a Type 2 diabetic, and grossly overweight! So, I have my reasons.

SENIORS

Thoughts ...

It doesn’t matter if you’re only playing for fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I love my 7W!
But to be honest, I struggle with hybrids, so that might be part of the reason I dig the 7W so much. Just seems way easier to hit good shots with the Mavrik Max
I have a Mavrik Max 7 wood too and I love it. I've kept the 4 iron in the bag for lower, boring shots. I've tried hybrids, but seem to struggle with them. Other people must like them too because a buddy of mind said he could not find a Mavrik Max 7 anywhere on the Internet.

Good to go for catarct surgery. Woo Hoo! Getting really tired of having the ball disappear once it gets 125 yards out!

Good to go for catarct surgery. Woo Hoo! Getting really tired of having the ball disappear once it gets 125 yards out!
Best of luck!!!

A

Sent from my XQ-AT51 using Tapatalk

I take zero prescription drugs, and if this guy wants to put me on any, I will refuse.
I just had my first eye done last Wednesday, 1/5. No drugs, just eye drops. The other eye is scheduled for 1/19. Good luck!

Good luck with Surgery, had both of my eyes done. Recovery is the problem, remembering not to bend over and not lift anything heavy.

SENIORS

Thoughts ...
As we get older, we lose distance, but one way to combat that is to move up a set of tees or two. I play the senior tees now, and it's more fun hitting irons into greens instead of fairway woods.

As to non-conforming drivers, I don't see a problem with that if someone wants to use one. I keep a HI and play in the occasional tournament, so one of those drivers wouldn't be for me.

I think if you get the right shaft and club head , you won't need a non-conforming driver. However don't see anything wrong with using one.

Recovery is the problem, remembering not to bend over and not lift anything heavy.
Not so much the lifting weight thing, but it is amazing how much we bend over for things. Never took particular notice until being told not to do it for 10 days immediately following each surgery.

Not so much the lifting weight thing, but it is amazing how much we bend over for things. Never took particular notice until being told not to do it for 10 days immediately following each surgery.
Yes now that you mentioned it, I remember. That was my biggest problem.

SENIORS

Thoughts ...

If your driver is going 5 iron distance why not. If you are trying to squeeze out 5-10 yards, I am sure a fitting will help get you there.

I just had my first eye done last Wednesday, 1/5. No drugs, just eye drops. The other eye is scheduled for 1/19. Good luck!

Not the opthalmologist. The doctor who had to fill out a form to tell them that I was OK to undergo the cataract surgery. My BP was kinda weird. The second number was spot on, but the first number was 140. He wanted to write me a scrip for BP meds, and I told him not to bother, because I won't take them. He tried to talk me into it, but I have a follow up appointment in a month, so let's see what happens them. I can't wait to see what happens when they get the blood work back!

And I don't know how on earth I can accomplish the "no bending over" thing. How am I supposed to pull my pants up after I take a dump!

Back