Votes: 16 14.2%
  • $1000+

Votes: 20 17.7%
  • $300

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • $400

Votes: 10 8.8%

• Total voters
Was wondering how you could get to $1000, but then I realized the Stealth Plus with a new Ventus TR is about that!

It's all relative, but $500 is where it climbs into "too much" territory for me. At the rate price increases are happening, I'll probably soon be transitioning into buying pre-owned prior year drivers when I upgrade.

driver tech isn't changing so much that we need to upgrade every year. the tech is undoubtedly changing and improving, but you can still game an older model and have great success.

You’re not wrong here. So can you answer me why so many of us end up purchasing multiple drivers within a twelve month period and repeat the process again and again? Wait, don’t answer until I have my therapist on the line.

I know that prices will increase as technology gets better and the investments made each year become more costly to all the OEMs. For me, I think the price of 549 is my max at this point in time. Anyone over 550 is just not something I am going to look very hard at.

No answer for me. Too much is in the eye of the beholder, if it’s got a tech story I like, I’m going to try it.

You’re not wrong here. So can you answer me why so many of us end up purchasing multiple drivers within a twelve month period and repeat the process again and again? Wait, don’t answer until I have my therapist on the line.

Trade-Ins. :ROFLMAO:

I said $900 but if I could pick up 20 yards without losing any of my current accuracy I would likely spend $1K. I would need to find a way to hide it from my wife though.

If a driver made a significantly noticeable difference to my game, there would be no upper limit for me.

I know I don’t post much but this subject came up yesterday after the round. One of the player who just turn 60. He’s been playing TSi2 with 50g shaft. He drives straight most of the time but he’s usually 20-25yds behind.
For his 60th birthday gift. He got a Maruman Majesty Royal that cost 1200+95 shipping from Japan.
He now drives much further with similar accuracy. Much as 20yds further.
Would I buy driver $1300? Probably not. Would I buy when I can’t drive past 200? I don’t know.
In his case. That driver is priceless. He would pay more without a second thought he said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If a new driver actually gave 25 yards or more I would pay $1000 or more for it. I think the most I’ve actually seen testing was a legitimate 5-7 yards over what ever was in my bag. And I’ve tested drivers every season for 10 plus years.

I’m amazed more people don’t buy the PXG Gen4 driver for $299.
I went with Ping for my driver because they work for me, plus I get a great discount on them, and with the trade of my old driver it cost me almost nothing. If that wasn’t the case, I’d have been all over the Gen 4 XF driver deal. The guys at my club are buying more of them than other brands combined right now.

Last edited:
No answer for me. Too much is in the eye of the beholder, if it’s got a tech story I like, I’m going to try it.
No disrespect meant at all with your non-answer, but you do get a discount from at least some manufacturers for all of your balanced contributions to this forum, right? Again, I really respect all you do for us and I have zero problems with that, if that is the situation, because it is well deserved. I am envious. Thanks for all you do!

I went with Ping for my driver because not only do they work for me, I get a great discount on them.With the trade of my old driver (G400 Max) it cost me almost nothing. If that wasn’t the case, I’d have been all over the Gen 4 XF driver deal. The guys at my club are buying more of them than other brands combined right now.

I went with Ping for my driver because they work for me, plus I get a great discount on them, and with the trade of my old driver it cost me almost nothing. If that wasn’t the case, I’d have been all over the Gen 4 XF driver deal. The guys at my club are buying more of them than other brands combined right now.
Could be performance related? Or marketing? Or availability?

Could be performance related? Or marketing? Or availability?
If you’re being honest, I think you’ll admit it’s not performance related at all.
It’s all about the marketing and availability. Companies like Callaway and Taylormade are such financial behemoths they’ll always dominate the market. It doesn’t mean they make a better product than companies like Edel, Miura, Swag, Piretti or PXG for example.
I’m not a beer drinker, but does Budweiser make the best beer, or do they just sell more of it than anyone else?

If you’re being honest, I think you’ll admit it’s not performance related at all.
It’s all about the marketing and availability. Companies like Callaway and Taylormade are such financial behemoths they’ll always dominate the market. It doesn’t mean they make a better product than companies like Edel, Miura, Swag, Piretti or PXG for example. In fact you could make a very good case they make a better one.
I’m always completely honest and it could 100% be performance related.

I’m always completely honest and it could 100% be performance related.
we’ll just have to agree to disagree if you think the disparity in sales “could 100% be performance related.”

we’ll just have to agree to disagree if you think the disparity in sales “could 100% be performance related.”
Not 100% of the sales, that would be silly. But to assume it’s not a factor is as well.

Anyway, it’s really besides the point in this thread. If performance isn’t the issue and $500 drivers sell more than $300 drivers, folks are clearly willing to pay more for something or other.

Not 100% of the sales, that would be silly. But to assume it’s not a factor is as well.

Anyway, it’s really besides the point in this thread. If performance isn’t the issue and $500 drivers sell more than $300 drivers, folks are clearly willing to pay more for something or other.
Marketing and availability. They’re buying Golf’s version of Budweiser/Coca Cola/McDonalds… heck, I do it too. 🙄

MSRP is always too much for a driver. I'll wait a few months............🤷‍♂️

I think it depends on budget, reason for purchase, and comfort with spending $$.

If you asked me a year ago would I ever have a bag of new clubs I would have told you no, and very much meant it.

I started saving for a new driver after I bought a new Tour Edge HL4 that didn't work well for me to replace a broken hand me down. Played the hand me down for a year, played the HL4 for a year.

Then I got very lucky and came into some $$ that allowed me to purchase a new driver earlier than expected. I had most of the money saved, but the extra just meant I could have my fitting and purchase the club they decided on. Didn't have to wait, or go look for a used version. Had enough left over to get the matching 3W. I might still be struggling with the HL4 if it wasn't for that unexpected bump in spending money.

I played enough this past year, that I was comfortable replacing every club in the bag... but what I have will last me quite a while before I outgrow the performance. I won't be able to justify it to myself or my wife again anytime soon :ROFLMAO:

Would I buy one every year? Or even every couple years? Nope. It'll be a while before I drop that kind of coin again.

Marketing and availability. They’re buying Golf’s version of Budweiser/Coca Cola/McDonalds… heck, I do it too. 🙄
To each their own I guess. Considering I saw 15 yard carry differences between heads in my only club champion driver fitting I’d say there may be some truth in those marketing buzz words. That’s enough to make a guy want to drop some serious cash on a new driver.

You had a really badly fit driver if you picked up 15 yards of carry my friend.
😆 It was the same LA Golf shaft with two different heads in Club Champion. My badly self-fit gamer fared better than a few of the heads. Safe to say we found a combo that outperformed the rest.

To each their own I guess. Considering I saw 15 yard carry differences between heads in my only club champion driver fitting I’d say there may be some truth in those marketing buzz words. That’s enough to make a guy want to drop some serious cash on a new driver.
Different head shaft combinations produce different results for different people, wouldn’t you say?
How much difference was there between you Club Champion and Granddaddy fitting?

Back