Hank Haney Signs with TaylorMade Golf

Kind of surprised they didn't, lol

I just am not a Haney fan so I must be careful in this thread.

I'm right there with you.

I wonder if this is a bigger win for Taylormade or a bigger loss for Nike?

I wonder if this is a bigger win for Taylormade or a bigger loss for Nike?

Good question and I'm not sure we will ever know the answer to this. Personally, I think it is a bigger win for TM, mostly because of the marketing and publicity they will receive from having Haney on their staff, repping their gear. If HH can get another big name to coach, and get them to win, this could be huge for TM and HH.

I know a lot of people have been saying this and I guess I see it differently. Outside of Tiger Woods and Mark O'Meara, I am not sure he has taught any tour players for an extended period of time. I know his name became common with the Tiger Woods teaching for the casual fan, but previously to that, most did not realize he had even worked with O'Meara, let alone had his ranch and was a top teacher.
He was associated with the best player and he's gotten some mileage out of that association. I don't think he needed to be associated with anyone else nor really had the time that Tiger demands (presumably). He went from no one knowing him, to one of the more known teachers, a TV show and beating down endorsement offers, a trophy wife, etc, etc. It's obviously worked out perfectly for him.

If Tiger and Hank stayed together than Hank would still be with Nike. Not sure Hank move the needle much in terms of sales for Nike-or for TM in that matter.

He was associated with the best player and he's gotten some mileage out of that association. I don't think he needed to be associated with anyone else nor really had the time that Tiger demands (presumably). He went from no one knowing him, to one of the more known teachers, a TV show and beating down endorsement offers, a trophy wife, etc, etc. It's obviously worked out perfectly for him.

I dont disagree. You had said "He was getting away from teaching professionals". I was just pointing out that while many think of that as his past, he really did that for but two golfers.

I dont disagree. You had said "He was getting away from teaching professionals". I was just pointing out that while many think of that as his past, he really did that for but two golfers.
Understood and agreed. He never had a huge stable of players like some of the other teachers out there.

Understood and agreed. He never had a huge stable of players like some of the other teachers out there.

Hadn't thought about this before, but do you think that having less "students" is an advantage or a disadvantage? IMO its advantageous. With less students he could presumably spend more time with each, and give them his full attention. With the golf swing being so individualized, I think it would be hard having many professionals as students/clients.

2 big names combining that have pretty good reps....
Have to be a win-win..

I wonder how much longer Hank's name will mean much in the world of golf. Not to say he isn't a great teacher, but without a big name player, will he have the name recognition for much longer?

You still hear about David Leadbetter and I don't think he's had a big tour presence for a while has he?

2 big names combining that have pretty good reps....
Have to be a win-win..

Agreed, I think it allows Haney to turn the leaf a bit and TM adds another great teaching pro.

You might be discounting how many students he has and now what he will be teaching with and fitting.

Um, OK. Thinking more about how I buy clubs. Try out around 50 sets and try to be methodical about deciding which works best for me. Doesn't matter that much (none) which pros or coaches endorse the clubs.

Hadn't thought about this before, but do you think that having less "students" is an advantage or a disadvantage? IMO its advantageous. With less students he could presumably spend more time with each, and give them his full attention. With the golf swing being so individualized, I think it would be hard having many professionals as students/clients.
I'd agree with you there, but it's worked both ways for a lot of teachers.

That may be more of a product of his Jos A Bank commercials for his 'world's greatest golf shirts' ....which suck btw....as opposed to his actual golf teachings (Gold Digest tips aside)....

You still hear about David Leadbetter and I don't think he's had a big tour presence for a while has he?

Back