Story for Slow Players

I think this is probably the most epic thread revive in the history of epic thread revivals. Its like it got dragged back from the depths of a black hole and back into prominence. That's epic.

Now I'm having flashbacks of the guy that created this tread. The first post was created by 'banned'. DOH!

my brother played with the fastest 71 yr old walker on the planet
he has a timeshare at fords colony and one of the members is the most hated guy by the staff there because he plays "too" fast
my brother and i can get a round in less than 2 hours on an empty course but thats with a cart as long as its not cartpath only
this guy walking made my brother seem like he was holding the course up
he always has the very first tee time and the maintenance guys cant keep up with the guy... its hilarious
he walked 18 while my bro rode in an hour and 50 mins and they both shot low 80s
the guys with a teetime 8 mins behind them... finished 2 hours later
heck they were done by the time the 2nd group made the turn

Wow Bogey, that is freakin quick.

Today I played the front 9, by myself on a cart path only course, in 1:15. Paired up with two guys at the turn and still made it round in 1:30.

5:25 for 18 holes. The worst part of tournament golf by far.

By myself, I usually play faster than the course pace, so I'm thinking I'm ok.

I do sometimes feel the 'stare and glare' of other players when I'm really trying to nail a putt or a difficult chip shot. But it's usually never an issue with driver or full irons. I'm not good enough to 'feel' it to within 10 feet of the cup, so I just choose a yardage that will put my ball somewhere nice and go.

Wow Bogey, that is freakin quick.

Today I played the front 9, by myself on a cart path only course, in 1:15. Paired up with two guys at the turn and still made it round in 1:30.
that is still a pretty good clip especially for cart path only
5:25 for 18 holes. The worst part of tournament golf by far.
i couldnt play my best when its that slow... it wouldnt be the pressure situations that got to me... it would be the hitting and waiting

i couldnt play my best when its that slow... it wouldnt be the pressure situations that got to me... it would be the hitting and waiting

I count clouds. Treetops. Stuff like that.

Slow play should not be tolerated anywhere, it does not matter if you shoot 70 or 100 that is not excuse to take 5 hours to play a round of golf. I use to work at a Country Club where if you consistantly took more than 3 1/2 hrs to play 18 you would have to go in front of the board and people where banned from playing at certain times of the day.

This is my kind of player, my brother and I played 18 before my cousins wedding in 2 hrs 5 mins. We showered and were leaving for the wedding and the group that teed off after us was just on 11 green.

my brother played with the fastest 71 yr old walker on the planet
he has a timeshare at fords colony and one of the members is the most hated guy by the staff there because he plays "too" fast
my brother and i can get a round in less than 2 hours on an empty course but thats with a cart as long as its not cartpath only
this guy walking made my brother seem like he was holding the course up
he always has the very first tee time and the maintenance guys cant keep up with the guy... its hilarious
he walked 18 while my bro rode in an hour and 50 mins and they both shot low 80s
the guys with a teetime 8 mins behind them... finished 2 hours later
heck they were done by the time the 2nd group made the turn

18 hole in 2 hours and 5 minutes yesterday. That included waiting on a foursome for two holes until they let me play through and stopping to talk to a buddy I saw there for about 10 minutes. I like fast, but I'm cool with a medium/slow pace as well. Just no extended waits.

Slow play should not be tolerated anywhere, it does not matter if you shoot 70 or 100 that is not excuse to take 5 hours to play a round of golf. I use to work at a Country Club where if you consistantly took more than 3 1/2 hrs to play 18 you would have to go in front of the board and people where banned from playing at certain times of the day.

That seems a little excessive. For most people, 4 hours is a good pace.

That seems a little excessive. For most people, 4 hours is a good pace.

I agree. 3-1/2 hours is good for the morning rounds. Once it starts getting busy, 4 hours should be expected. Not that it should be OK, but should be expected. If you are in the first few groups, 3 hours should not be out of the question.

I agree. 3-1/2 hours is good for the morning rounds. Once it starts getting busy, 4 hours should be expected. Not that it should be OK, but should be expected. If you are in the first few groups, 3 hours should not be out of the question.

See, for me and my friend, who are both relatively awful golfers, 4 hours is average for a morning round, but that includes a short break at the turn and any waiting that may be necessary. He is pretty slow, and I am no speed demon, but we are good about allowing the few groups that catch us to pass.

See, for me and my friend, who are both relatively awful golfers, 4 hours is average for a morning round, but that includes a short break at the turn and any waiting that may be necessary. He is pretty slow, and I am no speed demon, but we are good about allowing the few groups that catch us to pass.

Most courses want the morning rounds to go a little faster to delay the inevitable afternoon slowdown. If the 4+ hour rounds start by 10 AM or so, they could be in for a lot of grumpy golfers by noon.

Most courses want the morning rounds to go a little faster to delay the inevitable afternoon slowdown. If the 4+ hour rounds start by 10 AM or so, they could be in for a lot of grumpy golfers by noon.

I agree, and we are on a downward trend with our times. He is a relative neophyte, with little on course experience. As he plays more, he gets faster.

Much as I deplore slow play, I still get a bit tired of the idea that if your fourball can't finish in 3½ hours or less you aren't playing fast enough. There is nothing fun about everyone putting at the same time just to get off the green as fast as possible, or jogging to your ball and hitting without any preparation. I've known players who played like this, and they never really looked like they were having any fun.

Whatever happened to actually savoring the experience? Enjoying your time spent playing with friends or family. For anyone with a halfway social mindset, 4 hours is a good time for a fourball, and anything under 4½ is acceptable. If you can't take the time to play without racing around the course, then you probably took up the wrong pastime. Or you need to reset your priorities and put aside enough time to play a reasonable round.

And I'm not talking about dawdling, fiddling around, or otherwise not being ready to play when it's your turn. You should have an efficient routine - you should be ready to play when you're up, but that can be done and still have time to smell the flowers. All the suggestion that golf should be done in 3 hours accomplishes is to put people off. It's a very rare breed which can actually play a 3½ hour round in a group of 4 - it's a pretty good pace for 2 - 3 players walking with nobody in front of them. When an unrealistic goal is set, it actually goes against it's own purpose. For most people, when they are given a goal that they see as unreachable, they quit trying to reach it. That results in a worse performance than they might have done if the goal was actually attainable. I saw this in my job - when the carrot is dangled too far in front, even the dumbest donkey will eventually figure it out.

Slow play sucks. But honestly, I have never played a 3 hour round of golf (4 some) in my life. Three and a half is about as fast as I can play with a foursome and have fun. Three hours is 10 minutes a hole! That is pretty absurd. Doable if you are first off and a twosome, but a foursome? No way. All of our public area courses shoot for four and a half hours, and that is fine by me. Most of our courses send groups off every 8-10 minutes and during the summer they are all busy. Anything within 30 minutes either way of four hours makes for an enjoyable day on the links for me.

the longest i spend on any single shot is reading a putt, i take one practice swing for every shot and then hit.... god i hate slow play!! lol

Did you ever get your go fast cart?

--
tapatalk

we(the course i work at) actually got out of their leasing yamaha golf carts that were about a hundred years old and revamped with ez-go's
since theyre brand new they are quick... really quick
so quick the senior member complain hahaha

Back