Please Somebody Help Me, Beyond Frustrated and Just Plain Embarrassing

10YardDraw

Ex Club Ho
Reaction score
Handicap
Slow Play!
Hey all I'm in need of some serious HELP, i wanted to post this hear to give Andy some time to answer the questions that are already in the Ask The Pro section before i asked so i want your help and opinions please. In golf no matter how great your playing it can all disappear in a second, happens to the pro's and it happens to us allot more hehe, Last year and the beginning of this year my driver game was awesome, i was hitting the ball perfect off the tee, fast forward to now, i cant hit a tee shot to save my life. My driver swing just feels weird and very off, i am topping everything, no exaggerating either, i only hit one tee shot that got off the ground today all the others hit about a foot in front of the tee and made that long mark in the ground we all hate, these all ended up about a 100-150 yards out, i dont know about you but this is so embarrassing and frustrating to me, even with this horrible driver YIPS i still managed to scrape up a 44 today on 9 so the rest of my game isn't bad. I have tried moving the ball up in my stance and that doesn't help at all, it just makes it more uncomfortable, have tried tilting back, tried coming from underneath more with my right hand(lower hand) and that doesn't help, i have moved closer to the ball, farther from the ball ect...I really need some help and suggestions, lessons are out of the question, i have never had one and dont plan on it since its over a $100 a hour which i think is outrageous. I'm more of a fix it on your own type of guy anyway. So to the person that helps me get through this and has the tip that helps me the most i will make it worth your while, ill send some balls your way to show my appreciation. Thanks all

edit: forgot to add i didnt hit one fairway today

I would recommend going to a PGA Professional. Pretty hard to fix a swing problem that no one can see. You need a qualified live person.

I would recommend going to a PGA Professional. Pretty hard to fix a swing problem that no one can see. You need a qualified live person.

like i said out of the question, not shelling out $100+ a hour, just cant do it

I have a similar problem sometimes. I begin with a nasty slice and it goes downhill from there - when I'm swinging well - I look great (high 70's low 80's). When the slice comes, I'm not sure I can break 95. What I have been working on recently is the mental side of the game (or trying to). Great quote by Bubba Watson a few weeks back helped me alot actually. He was asked "what is the last thought you have before you hit your driver?" and he responded by saying, " don't swing and miss." Then a follow up question was asked, " really?" and he said "yep. I haven't done it in a while, but I have done it." Point being, you need to trust yourself and remember to swing aggressively (especially on the tee) as once you hit it there's nothing you can do. I've learned that it is really really hard to fix things in the middle of a round- that's what the range is for. And sometimes we get so stuck on trying to shoot a number that we compound the mistakes by trying to fix things all at once. I feel like I over think things often - especially on the tee and have really tried to simplify (hence the quote). If the driver is going hard right on the first two holes, I put it away and tee off the rest of the day with the hybrid. Hope this helps some and I feel your frustration!

Is your only problem right now you're trying to eliminate topping your driver?

I have a similar problem sometimes. I begin with a nasty slice and it goes downhill from there - when I'm swinging well - I look great (high 70's low 80's). When the slice comes, I'm not sure I can break 95. What I have been working on recently is the mental side of the game (or trying to). Great quote by Bubba Watson a few weeks back helped me alot actually. He was asked "what is the last thought you have before you hit your driver?" and he responded by saying, " don't swing and miss." Then a follow up question was asked, " really?" and he said "yep. I haven't done it in a while, but I have done it." Point being, you need to trust yourself and remember to swing aggressively (especially on the tee) as once you hit it there's nothing you can do. I've learned that it is really really hard to fix things in the middle of a round- that's what the range is for. And sometimes we get so stuck on trying to shoot a number that we compound the mistakes by trying to fix things all at once. I feel like I over think things often - especially on the tee and have really tried to simplify (hence the quote). If the driver is going hard right on the first two holes, I put it away and tee off the rest of the day with the hybrid. Hope this helps some and I feel your frustration!

i got to the point today i just walked up teed it up and swung, no practice swings nothing, didnt wanna have time to think about another bad shot and that still didnt help lol

Is your only problem right now you're trying to eliminate topping your driver?

yes Fairway, i just want to be able to get the ball in the air again and hit good drives

If you send me a video, I think I may be able to get you not just getting the ball in the air, but hitting it pretty good too. Because your problem is not super specific, I cant tell you a specific thing youre doing wrong.

i got to the point today i just walked up teed it up and swung, no practice swings nothing, didnt wanna have time to think about another bad shot and that still didnt help lol

last weekend did the same thing as you - the last 6 holes just loaded and fired with no routine. obviously it didn't help me either hahaahha. but then I read that quote and started swinging hard through the ball and played pretty well this week. peaks and valleys, peaks and valleys.

well good luck - wish I could help you more. I know how frustrating it can be (as I'm sure everyone on this site can attest!!)

If you send me a video, I think I may be able to get you not just getting the ball in the air, but hitting it pretty good too. Because your problem is not super specific, I cant tell you a specific thing youre doing wrong.

wish i could thainer, dont have a video camera except on my phone and it sucks, i tried getting a video a couple days ago with it on the range but it kept falling off my golf bag.

It comes from releasing the club to early. Go out to the range and practice hitting driver with a full-swing towards the 150 marker to start off with. Once you get a nice tempo back and a little confidence, stick a tee in the butt end of your grip and just work out bringing that tee back to the ball on the downswing.

Also, what's your natural driver ball-flight with a driver in completely neutral settings?

wish i could thainer, dont have a video camera except on my phone and it sucks, i tried getting a video a couple days ago with it on the range but it kept falling off my golf bag.

So what? Theres always someone at the range. IF you ask them to hold your phone, Im sure they wont mind. Theyll understand youre just trying to get better. But its a different issue if youre just nervous about getting your swing taped.

Like I said, the tips you get will be hit or miss without knowing whats ACTUALLY causing them. And whether they will just remedy the issue, or cure it. I would like to think Ive helped more than a few people on here, but it all comes from how bad you really want help.

It comes from releasing the club to early. Go out to the range and practice hitting driver with a full-swing towards the 150 marker to start off with. Once you get a nice tempo back and a little confidence, stick a tee in the butt end of your grip and just work out bringing that tee back to the ball on the downswing.

i'll give that a shot, thanks. Getting back out there tomorrow morning, tee time is at 9 and im gonna hit the range for a hour before.

So what? Theres always someone at the range. IF you ask them to hold your phone, Im sure they wont mind. Theyll understand youre just trying to get better. But its a different issue if youre just nervous about getting your swing taped.

Like I said, the tips you get will be hit or miss without knowing whats ACTUALLY causing them. And whether they will just remedy the issue, or cure it. I would like to think Ive helped more than a few people on here, but it all comes from how bad you really want help.
there is not always people on our range, i live in a very small town. If there is somebody on range with me tomorrow ill have them tape it for me.

Also, what's your natural driver ball-flight with a driver in completely neutral settings?

Its usually a draw and my miss is a hook most of the time, every once in awhile i push/slice one right

Did you try moving the ball back in your stance? Also, make quarter swings, or even 1/8th swings as a contact drill, and gradually increase the length of your swings to get to full swing. Similarly, you can start with very slow full swings to see and feel exactly what thumbup club is doing and gradually increase the speed.

Did you try moving the ball back in your stance? Also, make quarter swings, or even 1/8th swings as a contact drill, and gradually increase the length of your swings to get to full swing. Similarly, you can start with very slow full swings to see and feel exactly what thumbup club is doing and gradually increase the speed.

yes i tried moving it back and forward and everywhere inbetween lol, i'll try some quarter and half swings just for the contact.

New driver and new shaft? I suggest trying what Gamma mentioned as well as choking down maybe a inch on the grip. Try experimenting with setup not focusing entirely on distance, but on contact. Once good contact is achieved somewhat consistently, start adding the speed and power.
How did you determine the weighting on this driver? Have you tried hitting a different driver?

Its usually a draw and my miss is a hook most of the time, every once in awhile i push/slice one right

For now I'd just try and see if what I said earlier works for you tomorrow, but you probably need to work on a proper release. I would guess you try to finish to early and don't let the clubhead properly release through and past the ball. That isn't what's making you top all your drives, but it does lend itself to getting you releasing the club to early. The tee in the butt end of your grip drill you can do right now at home not hitting any balls. Just keep bringing that tee back down towards the ball and let your hands naturally release. It will feel as if you're throwing them out to the right somewhat and at first you'll probably hit some exaggerated pushes, but that's fine. Once you get to that point you're ready to work on something else. You just need to break it down and work on one thought at a time. Hope it helps out.

The very same thing happened to me a few years ago. In a morning round, I hit every fairway on the first 11 holes and then all of a sudden couldn't get a drive (or any club longer than a 7 iron) in the air. Played another 18 in the afternoon and on the 8th hole finally got a tee shot slightly airborne. By the back 9 I was killing it off the tee. Crazy how it comes and goes.
Wish I could offer help, but all I can really do is tell you to stick with it. The drives will eventually return.

New driver and new shaft? I suggest trying what Gamma mentioned as well as choking down maybe a inch on the grip. Try experimenting with setup not focusing entirely on distance, but on contact. Once good contact is achieved somewhat consistently, start adding the speed and power.
How did you determine the weighting on this driver? Have you tried hitting a different driver?

the RIP works great for me, played it in my Supertri and R11, its not the shaft or driver its me lol. Its just standard weight on the D2 like i have always played.

For now I'd just try and see if what I said earlier works for you tomorrow, but you probably need to work on a proper release. I would guess you try to finish to early and don't let the clubhead properly release through and past the ball. That isn't what's making you top all your drives, but it does lend itself to getting you releasing the club to early. The tee in the butt end of your grip drill you can do right now at home not hitting any balls. Just keep bringing that tee back down towards the ball and let your hands naturally release. It will feel as if you're throwing them out to the right somewhat and at first you'll probably hit some exaggerated pushes, but that's fine. Once you get to that point you're ready to work on something else. You just need to break it down and work on one thought at a time. Hope it helps out.

i will def give it a shot, thanks

Matty, next time you're at the range, address the ball with your driver, put your feet together, and just focus on using a shoulder turn away from the ball, then back down and through, and hit shot after shot after shot like this. Don't worry about where it goes or how far it goes, just do it. It will quiet your lower body, and it will force you to turn away and through the ball. It will also force you to keep your arms more connected or you'll lose your balance. Your goal is to be able to execute this consistently without having to move your fee apart to keep your balance.

I also think that your brain is just shot when you put a driver in your hand. You might want to not put a driver in the bag for your next round or two and just practice with it on the range. Hit 3wood off the tee or hybrid, just so you can start seeing some positive tee shots.

Hate to hear that you have the driver yips! Here are couple things for you to try.
First, how is your balance after the swing? Is it on your right leg, or are you swinging out of balance? If so, focus on keeping your balance and putting more weight on the left side.
Second, try a 9 to 3 drill with the driver - 3/4 swing back and 3/4 follow through, just nice and easy, again balance is key. This is what I use for a tight fairway.
Lastly, it sounds like your swing may be getting too steep. Think swing around your body and especially when you have yips, don't try to help the ball up, let the club do the work for you.

I am sure if you swing easy after a few swings, you'll get your groove back.

Let us know how it goes!

Back