LIVE UPDATE THREAD Contest: Shaft Up #2 with UST Mamiya

Since I started golf. I’ve tried putting lefty a little bit but it’s very uncomfortable for me and I struggle lining everything up

Guy in my league foursome does the opposite (hits right, putts left). You're the first other person I've heard who switches sides to putt, but hey whatever works!

Well flight was cancelled. Currently waiting to check into the hotel along with 200 (not exaggerating) other people

Hold up. That fan standard or you bring that?
Brought it, I love it. Uses my Ryobi batteries, and I keep use it every round during the summer. It moves just enough wind to make it bearable.

Long read, my recaps:

Day 1: Being 2hrs drive time I had a late leave on travel day but I somehow timed it perfect. I pulled into town just as @BuffaloPlunger flight landed. By the time I got to the airport, I waited maybe 5 min. Introduced myself, got him loaded up, and headed to the course. We were greeted by concierge who took our clubs, bags, shoes etc and gave us a cart. We followed them like 30 seconds and we were at the cottage. We walked in and were greeted by @DannyLe and @JB . Immediately there was a display of heads and shafts just inside the door. We were shown our private(labeled) rooms and sat down to talk about the event, life, gear, and golf. @BuffaloPlunger walks out of his room and says "I swear it wasn't me, but this toilet won't go down". Danny calls and the pro shows up 5 min later, plunger in hand and fixes the issue. We laugh, and blame Kyle.. he denies it.. it was a good laugh.. and Buffalo Plunger is born.
Dinner time: we took the carts back to the clubhouse, and sat down for dinner. @JB ordered a couple appetizers, crab cake, shrimp cocktail, and charcuterie board and drinks. I had a couple of old fashioneds. I ordered the wagyu New York Strip, green beans, and Mac and Cheese, which brings my only regret. I asked about the forbidden rice, and chose the green beans. They were great, but others ordered the rice and raved about it. The Mac was fantastic, the steak was amazing. Perfectly salted, grilled to perfection. Danny and JB floated the idea of heading to the putting green when we got back... but we didn't have any of our clubs. They were gracious enough to loan us their extra putters so we could at least putt on these greens. It was only about 88 degrees at 830pm, so we were only out for about 30-45 min. We headed back in, talked for a bit then headed to their rooms to shower and bed.

Day 2: hit the range at opening(7:30) I knew my swing was on the fence and the range confirmed it. (I knew I should have got that extra range day in! 😆) we headed to hit up the practice round promptly at 8. We were joined in a few holes by Adam(Dormie Network's head fitter) and the VN club pro.
Practice round:
It was at least 90* and had sprinkled a little on the way to the range, so it was humid. But who cares about the heat and humidity when you're looking at this course! It's honestly awe inspiring. I got the FULL experience, I got to see the course from nearly every angle and every lie... except the fairway 😆. Kyle was hitting them well, but it was honestly too much to carry alone. Although we weren't keeping score.. we knew it was ugly. @JB was clear to remind us of the score we weren't keeping 😂 and how close it wasn't. It took a solid 10 holes before we edged them out for a hole on 10. We finished, I'm not sure if it was sweat, or drool or all the water on this course, but we all were drenched. We headed to the clubhouse for lunch. I had the double smashburger and fries.. so good. After lunch we headed to the range for fitting and again driver was ABYSMAL. No excuses, but let me give some excuses: I was hot, I couldn't get comfortable. @DannyLe got a few numbers from my gamer(TSI3). Forgive me if I'm off, but I believe it was fluctuating from high 130's ball speed guiding, to low 160's on an all out swing but spinning like a top. I think max carry was around 215 and breaking hard right. It wasn't good, I might have sky marked a head once or twice trying to get numbers. We took a break, and @BuffaloPlunger put on a display. I think Danny had him fit in less than 10 swings and he was absolutely bombing it including some 270+carry. Honestly reminded me of my swing before my shoulder injury(but much straighter, and from the wrong side of the teebox).. ahh to be young again. Anyways, Danny and JB called it, as there was basically nothing to be gained by me swinging even more. The plan was to resume in the morning. Kyle was excited to go put the new driver in play. We started on 10, played 11, 12, 13, then headed back to get ready for dinner.
Dinner day 2:
I was not going to make the same mistake twice. I again went with a steak, but this time I went with old fashioneds to wash down Wagyu Ribeye, again absolute perfection... and FORBIDDEN Rice, and creamed corn...so exceptional, so choice. After dinner and a few drinks Danny said let's go hit a few holes. JB headed back to the cottage to work. The three of us hit 3/4 holes, driver was still all over the place. Danny hit me with a few tips, planting seeds for the next day. We headed back. Everyone was a pretty quick retreat to their rooms for showers and bed. About 10pm a blaring alarm goes off outside my window. I knocked on JB's door, I had no clue what it could have been. I go outside and the sewer pump station alarm was going off. I have no idea of it was related to the plunger situation from day 1 or not 😆. We tried to call the office but no one was there. It eventually shut itself off. No biggie, we all head back to bed.

Day 3: 7am rolls around, we load our stuff up to make checkout easier. Danny and JB talked about my fitting, Danny said I was definitely in the Max and between a blue and black shaft whose and he would just give me both and they had made a call on my fitting based on they had enough to get it right. So we were going to the range to try a few things. In an effort to de-clutter my bag, I took my extra putter, and gamer to my vehicle. I get to the range and Danny asked if I brought my old driver...**crap. I misunderstood and now he wanted to get a comp between the two. Danny makes a few suggestions, and like a switch it changes. From hard slices to baby draws and absolutely beat straight drives and it was shot after shot. I don't have true numbers, but I went from a day 1 average of probably 180yd slicing to a day 2 average of 230-240 yds. Absolutely incredible. Kyle is pounding them dead straight and the confidence for both of us is building. Holy sh*t where was this yesterday? 😆

Day 3: Shamble
We struggled on holes 1-3, albeit significantly better than the day before. What kept us in the rest of the way was good team pick me ups. If Kyle had a rough hole, I had a good one, if I had a bad one, Kyle picked it up. Once or twice we both had bad ones 😆. We get to 16, I went in left rough, Kyle goes in water, Danny goes in, JB goes right... into the hillside rough. Reload: I go in the water... again, as does Kyle, JB hillside again Danny goes short and in the bunker, we concede. Move to 17 dormie, JB goes in the bunker but is playable, Danny his a bomb and is dry. Kyle goes way ob, I hit land but way short and in the rough. We talk about the situation on the drive over, we see the impending doom. We chip into the fairway, and realize what we need to get anywhere close. I told Kyle we are sitting 300+ out from JB/ Danny the only shot we have is a great driver off the deck shot. High risk, high reward and low percentage chance but honestly what did we have to lose? We both pulled them Kyle missed with his shot, I hit a decent shot but it ran into the deep rough. It was over. We drive up and concede. Danny thinks he can make the early flight back to Texas. Great timing! They tell us to play 18 and they'll meet us at the clubhouse. We pull up say our goodbyes, and they invite us to stay and have lunch on them. We had a great lunch and I drop Kyle at the micro-airport 😆 and head towards home. With a head full of great memories.

Dormie network: Absolute first class all the way. Everything you need at these venues is there. I've never seen the head pro circling the track filling carts with ice and fresh cold water bottles. It was just an absolute unreal experience and almost unbelievable that "normal" people have access to this level of experience.

Victoria National: There were other people staying there, but it was never crowded. I don't know that we ever saw anyone other than maintenence workers in the course, and we played reasonably fast. The only exceptions was on the replay rounds we ran into a few others. The restaurant was top notch, and always had open seats. Fantastic, if you pass an opportunity to play any of the courses in the Dormie Network especially this one and choose basically anywhere else, you are CRAZY.

@DannyLe the man behind all the goodness at UST Mamiya. Such an absolute genuine human with so much experience and one of the best dudes you'll ever meet. He was able to nail down a winning combo when I honestly couldn't hit a ball out of my shadow. Thank you for your time, generosity and knowledge. I can't wait to build on what we worked on today.

@JB the THP Mastermind! I've had the great fortune of meeting JB in 2 other events. JB is as advertised, he's like a kid at these events. He truly loves seeing his forum members try new equipment and courses and enjoy them as much as he does. He is master trashtalker, and will ride you mercilessly when you are less than stellar, and turn right around to be your biggest cheerleader when you do it right. JB thank you for coming up with these crazy ideas, beautiful courses, and getting companies on board with bringing them to this group of Hackers.

Kyle/MONTANTK/* @BuffaloPlunger *
Dude, keep smashing that driver! I truly miss having that much speed in my swing, and it was a pleasure to watch you punish those ProV1! You're so close to dropping that handicap and shooting some crazy low numbers. You've got a world of talent, and a great swing. Keep grinding brother! I would gladly tee it up again any day with you, anytime! I loved hearing stories of some of the exceptional courses you've played and loved your enthusiasm for the game. I'm positive if it wasn't 110 out this afternoon when we finished, you'd still be out there playing. Absolutely Great dude!

Fantastic recap @Qwkz51 and thanks for bringing us along for the ride! Looked like an unforgettable experience on a truly bucket list course.

I’m gonna say the sewer pump station alarm was definitely related to the plunger incident on night 1🤣

Incredible recaps Carl, enjoyed them and so glad for you to got to experience this!

@Qwkz51 thats as good a recap as I’ve seen. I really enjoyed following along.

@Qwkz51 sounds like you got some ultimate consolation with the shafts. I will be curious where you end up with a Lin-Q Blue and Black. great recap and updates along the way!

Last edited:
Hopefully the flight has no issues today @BuffaloPlunger
So sorry this happened.

Hopefully the flight has no issues today @BuffaloPlunger
So sorry this happened.

We should be golden today. No worries at all! This is the twisted yet fun side of traveling😂

What an absolute great follow. Thanks for the laughs, pictures, and average man’s POV on this course that hosts the Koran Ferry Tour Championship every year.

thanks @JB and @DannyLe for organizing another perfect event. Danny takes the fun at every experience to a different level.

Those dormie network Johnny O shirts are absolutely phenomenal. Top of my pro shop wish list at the Dormie club.

The Dormie pro shops are so cool that an enterprising THP'er could probably set up a cottage industry buying gear and shipping it to other THP'ers kind of like The Masters.

Thanks for that recap @Qwkz51

A lot of work, but we love reading them..

Great recap Hot Carl!! Great example for everybody right there. Hope everything goes smoothly today 🪠!!

Was able to get out and play a Wed nite event at the club yesterday afternoon, Just got to read the recap by @Qwkz51, well done and a great read from your perspective, thank you

Back