USGA Course Length Recommendation

My Shot Scope average with my driver is 220 yds. I play from 5600. I do so because if I ever play in a competition, those are the tees from which I will be playing. I need to establish handicap from those tees, NOT 5800 - 6000 yds. Also I'd rather hit approach shots from 120-140 yds.

If I played from 6300 yds. my practice would involve a lot of driver, 5W and hybrids so I could keep breaking 100. I just don't see a point when I can play shorter tees and have fun.

I play My two home courses from the yellow T's which are 4970 & 5 140 yds and my Shot Scope says that my Longest, P-Average and Average drive is 190, 174 and 153. Admittedly my drives are short but if I'm playing at my speed I'll rarely hold anyone up.

If you scroll down under "Tees", the last option is to "Manually Input Course Rating/Slope".
Just checked it - I can see it when I post through their website, but it doesn't come up for me in the mobile app. Thanks though, I never even realized it was a thing on the website! (y)

SS has my P average for the driver right at 250. I play from the white tees at my club which are 6141. The next set back are 6503 and I think a touch much for me.

Just checked it - I can see it when I post through their website, but it doesn't come up for me in the mobile app. Thanks though, I never even realized it was a thing on the website! (y)
It is there in the mobile app:
B3FDEA83-1C1E-468B-99DE-4031420C2594.png

Based on what we played yesterday (6200), and in my estimation what we should have been playing (5400), we should be firmly in the 5400-6000 yd range. Right in that 230yd drive wheelhouse.

Had we been one tee shorter, the difference would have been staggering. Fairway bunkers wouldn't have been in prime driving distance (220 yds every hole). So instead of hitting driver, I am hitting 3w or 4i to be short of bunkers. This leads to 2nd shots where you have no chance making a green.

It's not like we are playing for anything, besides fun. So why are we making the game so much harder by tacking on yards when we don't need to be.

I normally play 6300-6600. I’m an 18 hcp but drive the ball far so often find myself debating tees to play. People give me **** when I play shorter than 6600 and have a good driving day but I think 6300 is a much better distance for me.

One of our favorite courses plays ~6600 from the back and I normally play those tees with my single digits buddies. Moved up to 6350 yesterday and shot my best ever round. It’s a bit odd having wedges into most greens but I have a lot more fun in that 6300 range.

My Thursday league does this; age and 18 hole handicap added together.
up to 89 uses the 6300 tees
90-99 5800 tees
100 and up uses 5200 tees
This has kept many guys still playing while allowing them a realistic chance for skins, pin shots

I top out with driver around 230-240 and generally don't venture past 6200 very often, close to 6000 is even better.

My shot scope says my drives average 215. I think that's a little bit generous... sometimes they go further just a little bit. Most times, they don't go that far.

My average drive is ~250 yds and we typically play courses between 6,200-6,600 yds. The tee box we play at my home course is around 6,350 and it is comfortable. Unfortunately the par 5’s are not reachable for me unless wind, roll and 2 accurate bombs are the order of the day and that foresome is rare for me 😉.

One of the things I like about playing from shorter tees is that every par 4 and par 5 is not necessarily a "driver" hole. I like the challenge of having options off the tee, of having to "think" my way around the course.

Arccos data says driver for me is 282yds. Most of my courses locally are around 6000. I rarely have more than 125 as a second shot unless it’s a par 5. If I get the chance I play 64-6600 yards. My shorter courses make my handicap seem better than I feel it really is even with course ratings and slope. I did play 7122 here recently and it was much more challenging. I imagine my cap would balloon a little getting used to the changes.

For most golfers multiplying one's average drive by 28 is a decent indicator of what yardage one should play. That said, the driving force (pun intended) most use when selecting what tees to play is ego, lol. At 67 I play the senior tees. I have nothing to prove, and the game is hard enough as it is. Besides, I prefer hitting irons into most greens, and not fairway woods.

For most golfers multiplying one's average drive by 28 is a decent indicator of what yardage one should play. That said, the driving force (pun intended) most use when selecting what tees to play is ego, lol. At 67 I play the senior tees. I have nothing to prove, and the game is hard enough as it is. Besides, I prefer hitting irons into most greens, and not fairway woods.
Multiplying my avg drive by 28 says I should play courses just over 7,000 yards...no thanks...if I use my performance average...it says 7,700 yards. I don't think the multiply by 28 is a good indicator

Multiplying my avg drive by 28 says I should play courses just over 7,000 yards...no thanks...if I use my performance average...it says 7,700 yards. I don't think the multiply by 28 is a good indicator
That is why I qualified it by saying most golfers, not all.

With the information SS is confirming, I should move boxes in order to hit more of the bag. The scores and HCP would probably be more accurate too (higher). I enjoy playing from any of them and will join whatever the group picks.

So frustrating to see many golfers playing too far back because they either need their egos massaged or they are nowhere near as talented as they think they are. Move up folks - it helps speed up play and you will enjoy the round better. A big difference being able to grab an 8 or 9 iron into the par 4's for you second shot instead of a 3 wood.

When we want to look at times on the course increasing, while nobody thinks they are actually slow or deliberate, this is something to consider. What yardage do you play from and what do you believe you average off the tee?

I strongly disagree that yardage (within reason) is a primary reason for slowness. In fact imo its way down the list. Problematic slow players are problematic no matter where they play from. They also very often can come from long hitters and good players.

I have to be honest and i was just think this very thing today about failed ball striking. When some mid...mid/high...high capper has a bad day they may fail miserably at ball striking. And maybe at times every 2nd or 3rd attempted strike is a fail. When that happens it doesnt matter what the distance is. Its just a failure. Going to happen from any tee, from any approach distance etc....
Chunk an 8i 5yrds or chunk a 3hyb 5yrds....it doesnt matter. They are both fails. Slice a tee shot into the woods from one tee or do it from the tee 20 yrds up...it doesnt matter.
Then only time yardage really matters is actually when one is playing ok enough golf...not when playing badly. This is why the whole notion about tees and pace is imo far overrated and imo misguided.

moving along keeping respectable pace is not about yardage (within reason) but is simply about whether or not one simply is aware of and understands they need to move about even if it means picking up. But as said,....many those playing their so called correct yardage and playing well are often slow. So again as for that part....its the person.

Playing ok enough to good (better relatively speaking for that person) golf? thats when the more correct tee choice matters most imo. Thats when the player can then see the difference in thier score and or make more approaches etc....via the 3,4,500 yrds less vs more.

According to ShotScope, my Playing Average with the driver is 259, and I tend to play 6,000-6,200 most of the time. I've only played a relatively small number with SS at the moment, so the numbers might not be perfect, but they're not far off. I could push up or down a set of tees and I'm probably only a shot or two different I would think, but that's what the WHS takes into account I guess. You guys playing at 7k+ must be gluttons for punishment, unless the course is wide open I would have a pretty bad day at that length!

I am in the 200 to 220 range, and usually play the white (6100) or blue (6500) tees. Oddly enough in either case I am usually needing 3 shots to reach the green, and my scores do not differ all that much between the two.

I just don't have it in me to move up to sub-6000 yard tees. I'm sure my handicap would probably improve, but at age 61 I want to give myself a few years before moving up.

As someone who usually goes off as a single, I will play the tees the people I am paired with play off (unless they choose the Tips).

I strongly disagree that yardage (within reason) is a primary reason for slowness. In fact imo its way down the list. Problematic slow players are problematic no matter where they play from. They also very often can come from long hitters and good players.

I have to be honest and i was just think this very thing today about failed ball striking. When some mid...mid/high...high capper has a bad day they may fail miserably at ball striking. And maybe at times every 2nd or 3rd attempted strike is a fail. When that happens it doesnt matter what the distance is. Its just a failure. Going to happen from any tee, from any approach distance etc....
Chunk an 8i 5yrds or chunk a 3hyb 5yrds....it doesnt matter. They are both fails. Slice a tee shot into the woods from one tee or do it from the tee 20 yrds up...it doesnt matter.
Then only time yardage really matters is actually when one is playing ok enough golf...not when playing badly. This is why the whole notion about tees and pace is imo far overrated and imo misguided.

moving along keeping respectable pace is not about yardage (within reason) but is simply about whether or not one simply is aware of and understands they need to move about even if it means picking up. But as said,....many those playing their so called correct yardage and playing well are often slow. So again as for that part....its the person.

Playing ok enough to good (better relatively speaking for that person) golf? thats when the more correct tee choice matters most imo. Thats when the player can then see the difference in thier score and or make more approaches etc....via the 3,4,500 yrds less vs more.
Every data point captured suggests golfers of all abilities having a higher success rate closer to the hole.
It is not unreasonable or even accurate to suggest that the success rate would be the same with an 8 iron vs a 3 hybrid over the course of a round.
More accurate means faster playing, from a general sense.

My P-Ave for my last 10 rounds is 178 yards with a long of 196. I use the P-Ave as I believe it is a better representation of my typical driving distance than the Ave. Based on that distance, the chart would have me playing tees of about 4,800 yards, whereas I typically play course length of 5,200 and would likely feel pretty comfortable on anything up to about 5,500.

The biggest thing for me in moving up this year (my league allows men over 65 to move to the gold tees) is that I now use all of the clubs in my bag and no longer have to automatically reach for the HW or 9W for second shots on Par 4s. The best way to look at this issue is not how the course chooses to mark a specific tee, but rather what is the most appropriate course length for the individual golfer's particular game. I feel comfortable playing a course somewhat longer than the USGA's recommendation because with short irons, wedges and putting, I'm better than my 22.3 index would suggest.... and improving. I'm also getting better with approach shots.

humblebrag with no humble about it: played from 5900, a bit too short, set personal best with a 76 (and replay same day went an 86...) that dropped my handicap 4 points.

Next day played too long at 6700 yards...first two holes, trying to keep up with a kid who is on the team at Gonzaga, on a completely unrelated not was 9 over after 2. Settled down, played my game rest of the way and ended day 20 over...so 11 over for last 16 holes.

Oddly, did not feel like I was playing all that well on the long course but, outside the first two holes, it was very good (for me). Made par on multiple 400+ par 4s. Was a good learning experience. I still prefer to play 6200-6400, but I can score both shorter and longer.

Whenever these discussions come up, I feel like we who play at higher elevations fall within a different category. Right now, Shot Scope says that my P average for driver is 290. Arccos says that it is 284. I usually play at the 6600 to 6800, which is normally blue tees in our area. However, at my elevation, I can play pretty much any tee box. However, at sea level, I think around 6500 is the appropriate yardage, as my driving distance would drop down to around 255 to 260.

Back