New Release: Callaway Apex UW

sure, I get that. but then it would still be 57.5 vs 58.5 assuming the same length shafts? I was trying to understand the 54.5 number
Take your UW and choke down an inch and a half and look at the lie angle difference. That's what you'd get. Normally when you shorten something you bend it upright to keep it at the same of effective lie angle. You can't do that with a UW, so your effective lie angle would be about 54.5*. The static lie angle means nothing without considering length. We change static lie angle to give us the right dynamic lie angle for our swings. Unless your arms grow or you stand further from the ball, at that shorter length you're dynamic lie angle will change dramatically.

Last edited:
I have to put more time into the UW. I play a rather short course that doesn't really require me to hit this that much. I pull it maybe 1 time a round depending on the round.

It is a very easy club to hit!

I hit the UW 19* today for the first time and was blown away. This club is just everything I have been looking for. I will putting this in the bag soon.

The numbers blew me away.

I am going to be binging this thread reading everyone else's experience with this.

I have to put more time into the UW. I play a rather short course that doesn't really require me to hit this that much. I pull it maybe 1 time a round depending on the round.

It is a very easy club to hit!
Use it twice on the par 5s. You'll still be on it 2. Problem solved;)

I sport both a 17° & a 21° and probably hit them half a dozen times each round. I don’t play a fairway wood so my 17° is typically my second shot on par 5’s if I want to get close to the green. I find both very consistent and great off both the tee and off the deck.

I had an errant drive yesterday into a poorly raked bunker with steep lip probably 5-6 ‘ away. One of my playing partners was also in same bunker so he went first and his lie dictated a pitch out. As he was standing near, using my 21° I picked it clean and went about 200 yds uphill. He was amazed at both the contact and how I cleared the lip, actually not very close. He is a big Callaway guy that I converted about 5 years ago and I see a UW some time in his future.

These UW’s are just so good!

Mine continues to be a magic wand. Regularly puts me in great spots off the tee and as an approach for par 5s. Easy to hit and the ball flight is amazing. Callaway needs to keep this thing in the options for years to come. Please don't let it be a one-and-done club.

I tried chipping with it into the slope of an elevated green and it it worked out well. I’m going to have to try that more.

I think it needs to happen
Captain I just ain’t gettin along with mine. I’ve gave it the good effort. It’s likely trade bait really soon. Stock setup in X flex.

I took my 21 degree out of the bag and put it in time out and put back in a hybrid. After a few rounds I really have been missing it on the par 5's and we have a long par 4 that is almost always into wind. The hybrid does not have the bore through the wind powers the UW has so I think it is going back into the bag.

Early returns on the matte crown are that it's still a freaking animal out there. It's really hard to tell the difference between superhero club results and superhero club wearing a different outfit results though, so it will take time to determine which is actually better. :p

Bummer. What kind of stuff are you looking for in trade?
Im
Gonna but a Rogue ST 3 wood this weekend. What’s the trade value on it? I’d rather you have it than a store get to mark it up to $250 and sale it. We can talk about it DM. It won’t cost you a fortune. Me moving it and you saving is better than retail profit.

I took my 21 degree out of the bag and put it in time out and put back in a hybrid. After a few rounds I really have been missing it on the par 5's and we have a long par 4 that is almost always into wind. The hybrid does not have the bore through the wind powers the UW has so I think it is going back into the bag.

How high do you hit the UW vs the hybrid. I am thinking about adding another club to the bag that would fit between my 4 wood and 5i but I want something that doesn’t go as high as my 9w.

Captain I just ain’t gettin along with mine. I’ve gave it the good effort. It’s likely trade bait really soon. Stock setup in X flex.

I’m in the same boat as you. I really wanted to like this club but Im much more consistent with my 4 hybrid and my 5w than I am with it. Didnt gain any distance with it either. Guy running the golf shop said it was a hard club to hit, he wasnt lying.

I hit the UW 19* today for the first time and was blown away. This club is just everything I have been looking for. I will putting this in the bag soon.

The numbers blew me away.

I am going to be binging this thread reading everyone else's experience with this.
Yup! It’s incredible.

I’m in the same boat as you. I really wanted to like this club but Im much more consistent with my 4 hybrid and my 5w than I am with it. Didnt gain any distance with it either. Guy running the golf shop said it was a hard club to hit, he wasnt lying.
Everyone has different fits, that’s the nature of it all. That said, I’ll argue with that guy running that golf shop until the cows come home. I’ve hit, tested, and reviewed a LOT of clubs, and put this one in the hands of a lot of golfers, while it may not be a fit for some of them, hard to hit isn’t the issue there.

Hit my 19 out of the rough on a 494 yard par 5 yesterday after double crossing myself off the tee ( setup for fade, hit draw ). Ball was half in the grass and I had no clear impact spot. Grass in-between ball and club. Took the 19 UW and thumped it straight 210 yards up hill just short right I'd the green. Chip up, one putt for birdie

No way I get there with any other club in the bag.

Everyone has different fits, that’s the nature of it all. That said, I’ll argue with that guy running that golf shop until the cows come home. I’ve hit, tested, and reviewed a LOT of clubs, and put this one in the hands of a lot of golfers, while it may not be a fit for some of them, hard to hit isn’t the issue there.

Totally understand. For me it was easier to hit than a 3w (I got the 17°) but was inconsistent for me and I hit it no further than my G425 5w. No need for me to carry a redundant club. I feel that maybe I just dont have the swing speed to make it work.

How high do you hit the UW vs the hybrid. I am thinking about adding another club to the bag that would fit between my 4 wood and 5i but I want something that doesn’t go as high as my 9w.
Well that depends on what shot I am trying to hit. If I set it up in the stance and try to hit a high cut I can get it way up in the air. But I have zero problems with it going too high on stock shot just a nice trajectory bullet. I tend to be a high ball hitter so this club tends to come out of my preferred window of what I am trying to get all my shots too. On the other hand, my buddy can barley get this this thing off the ground. For me it is perfect, for him it is too low.

I know it's tough to say and rather subjective, but does anyone think that a 19* UW would gap nicely with my 15* 3-wood and my 19* dinosaur hybrid? Hearing that the UW launches like crazy gives me hope that I can hit it about 15 yards further than my hybrid.

I know it's tough to say and rather subjective, but does anyone think that a 19* UW would gap nicely with my 15* 3-wood and my 19* dinosaur hybrid? Hearing that the UW launches like crazy gives me hope that I can hit it about 15 yards further than my hybrid.
I'm just gonna throw this out there as someone who's played it for what feels like ages now, and watched countless people hit it. I think some of the 'launch like crazy' is a bit misleading and probably getting confused with easy to launch (hit, basically). It definitely launches easier than some hybrids, but it's still a front weighted tweener. I've seen plenty of people struggle to maximize it in the air. Not like they would a long iron, but a super hybrid is probably easier to launch for most. Spin is big factor in this one vs. some others. It gets up well, but doesn't launch like an equally lofted fairway for me generally. But it generally penetrates more too. It's a different flight, not as prone to rising/sailing. Bit flatter. So I think for some of 19 and 21 launch thoughts are partly just how easy it is to hit compared to some other things, and get a nice consistent flight.

Might gap nicely for you though. Only one way to find out. :p

Hard to say, but it could gap nicely. As a potential point of reference, see below numbers of good hits on my local range (w/ range balls) - note that I only got the 17* in my bag as a potential 3 wood replacement and am waiting to receive the 21*.

17* UW (Hzrdus Smoke Red 70g / 6.0; 41.50" ):
  • Carry: 215m / 235y
  • Total: 243m / 265y
  • Launch: 10.9*
  • Peak height: 20m / 66ft
  • Ball speed: 143mph
14.5* Ping G410 3 wood (43"; set to 15.5*):
  • Carry: 221m / 242y
  • Total: 249m / 272y
  • Launch: 10.7*
  • Peak height: 20m / 66ft
  • Ball speed: 146mph