2021 Titleist U505 Utility Iron

I like this utility a lot. But I am going to wait to see the new Mizuno utility before I commit to anything..

I couldn’t take it anymore after the success of my recent Titleist Experience fitting session and how well I hit the U505 4 iron I traded in some old clubs for a 3 iron. My thought process was I wanted a club I could hit off the tee straight down the fairway about 190 to 200 yds. I have several holes that are tight shots and a couple par 3s I play that 190 to 200 are great numbers to reach. I was fitted into stiff flex in my irons after playing regular flex for a few years because my swing speed is border line between S and R but the U505 4 iron we went with the R flex for the extra help. Now for the crazy part of the story I decided for the 3 iron to go with the GD AD IZ 95. My thoughts were the flex would help fight my tendencies to go left. First two tee shots I hit were not good and to be honest I felt stupid for spending so much for a 2x4. But I thought on my third shot to hit it like a wood, I teed it up and instead of hitting it like a iron I let it fly. What a huge difference, I didn’t get the 200 yd straight shooter I got the 220 straight down the fairway shooter. I haven’t had a club that I can’t wait to hit this much in years to be honest I am not sure if I ever have. Only been a couple of rounds but early impressions are great.

I hit the U505 and the U510 today on a GC Quad at my local PGA Superstore and the U510 spin/launch numbers were better for me. I had them flatten it 1º and took it home for some heavy use this week with rounds of golf planned the next 5 days. I was hitting high baby draws with it on the GC4 and I might finally have a new utility iron to replace my 2007 Titleist 503h which has an almost identical face size and shape but the top line at address looks way better on the new one. :)

5F37734F-A181-4AC2-A12F-56A94710C184.jpeg8727573D-D543-4A5A-A694-5CC70514D0D8.jpeg0513743A-3E8C-4B8D-A6FD-FD29050C1266.jpeg

How would the U505 4i (22 deg, 38.75") compare to a T-400 6i (23 deg, 37.5")? If they somehow had same shaft & loft, would they produce different results for trajectory, forgiveness, etc?

I couldn’t take it anymore after the success of my recent Titleist Experience fitting session and how well I hit the U505 4 iron I traded in some old clubs for a 3 iron. My thought process was I wanted a club I could hit off the tee straight down the fairway about 190 to 200 yds. I have several holes that are tight shots and a couple par 3s I play that 190 to 200 are great numbers to reach. I was fitted into stiff flex in my irons after playing regular flex for a few years because my swing speed is border line between S and R but the U505 4 iron we went with the R flex for the extra help. Now for the crazy part of the story I decided for the 3 iron to go with the GD AD IZ 95. My thoughts were the flex would help fight my tendencies to go left. First two tee shots I hit were not good and to be honest I felt stupid for spending so much for a 2x4. But I thought on my third shot to hit it like a wood, I teed it up and instead of hitting it like a iron I let it fly. What a huge difference, I didn’t get the 200 yd straight shooter I got the 220 straight down the fairway shooter. I haven’t had a club that I can’t wait to hit this much in years to be honest I am not sure if I ever have. Only been a couple of rounds but early impressions are great.
My experiment didn’t work out in the long run. I had to swing too hard to and if I didn’t it went no further than my 7 iron. So I took it to a local shop and had them replace the GD shaft with a Tensei Blue from an old Titleist 818 hybrid. So now I have a legit driving/ 3 iron to go with the U505 4iron I’m getting with the Titleist Experience. Only negative though is I’m not going to get to try it out until I get to New Mexico since I don’t have time to get another round in or sneak away to a local range.

I’m loving my new Titleist T200 irons and the U505 3 and 4 irons are great too. During today’s round I used the 4 on a 190 yd par three. I hit the sweetest shot that was a baby draw that for a few moments I thought had a chance to go in. Ball though hit the green 10 feet short of the hole and went off the back of the green for a easy up and down. Two holes later after a decent drive I got to the ball and first thought was to use a 7 iron and lay up about 100 out. Instead feeling confident after the tee shot a couple of holes earlier I pulled the 3 iron and hit a 207 yard shot that left me a short chip for eagle. Didn’t get the eagle but it was fun the try. These clubs are giving me something I have not had in a long time which is a couple of options I feel comfortable with from 180 to 210 yds off the deck. Off the tee they’re great and I trust them not to hook and get me in trouble like hybrids do.

People enjoying the U505? Or is the T200
Utility taking all the Titleist long iron love?

People enjoying the U505? Or is the T200
Utility taking all the Titleist long iron love?

I have hit both, I liked the 505. It is a freaking canon and so easy to hit.

100% U505 I love them for giving me 200+ yard shots back. I've hit more good shots with these than all the hybrids and FW woods I've tried in the last couple of years. I carry a 5 Wood just to have a 14th club and that is a sad but true story.

100% U505 I love them for giving me 200+ yard shots back. I've hit more good shots with these than all the hybrids and FW woods I've tried in the last couple of years. I carry a 5 Wood just to have a 14th club and that is a sad but true story.
NOTHING like finding something that just works!

Been struggling to hit my hybrids lately, and I often think I'd rather hit a utility iron for tee shots. Gotta say this club is being considered.

Been struggling to hit my hybrids lately, and I often think I'd rather hit a utility iron for tee shots. Gotta say this club is being considered.
Do it! Really like mine.

Used a couple credits to save a little money, but I ordered the 3i as 20 degrees should be a nice step up from my 22 degree 5 iron.

Gotta say my first outing without practice wasn't great with this utility. I definitely need more time and need to continue focusing on consistency with my swing.

Still daydreaming about this one. 🤔

I have this in a 2 iron and let me tell you, it is an absolute DELIGHT. Used this off the tee quite a bit today during a scramble and it just kept delivering for me. Very forgiving for being a utility, can hit high or low. Such a fun club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only used it once yesterday. I was just under 200 yards from the green. The ball was sitting in the rough just outside a fairway bunker, so I had to stand in the bunker. I choked down and just focused on good contact, and I definitely got that. It was a nice shot, but I was hitting directly into the wind so came up short. However, the contact was so good, I wasn't upset with that result.

Once again, used it once in 9 holes yesterday at league. It was a tee shot on a longer par 3. The contact felt sweet, and the distance was good, but I overdrew it with the wind playing a part in that. Overall, I was very happy with the contact, but I might need to practice getting the face angle square at contact with this club.

Going to Bandon at the end of the month and am looking forward to putting this bad boy to work. It’s so satisfying when you catch it clean!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

STILL eyeing these.

Back