First off, Welcome back @Hawk. That was a fantastic read and I look forward to following along with your journey.

I have only been a member here since 2019, so I have not been privy to your writings, but I look forward to them.
I retired from California, moved to Texas, and after a 2 month golf layoff, I proceeded to play a round with a local THP sub-teen golfer. I could not hit anything, and was embarrassed every time I teed off. They have a rule of no worse than double the hole handicap plus 1 stroke, and I took advantage of that about 4 times. I shot in the 120s. Worse than a brand new golfer. Needless to say, I took on the mission of getting better. I joined a local club and proceeded to play once per week, and eventually twice per week and my handicap fell, a lot. I now consistently shoot in the high 80s to low 90s and I am fine with that. Do I want to get better, you bet, but I am not rushing anything. I played golf for a few years when I was in my 20s before kids came and dominated my life. I coached baseball for 5 years, was a cubmaster for same, all the while going back to college to get my BS and then my MS. Fast forward to 2019, my kids are all grown and my wife started to show an interest in golf. Her company sponsored a golf tournament for years, and she was relegated to sitting at the hospitality table for hours on end since she did not golf. After a few years of that, she realized that being a golfer would be way better than sitting down all tournament, so she took lessons. Not to be outdone (left behind), I took up the game again and never looked back. We now play together twice per week and have a blast. I look forward to your take on gaming equipment as your game seems to be in the same boat as mine. :oops:

Last edited:
It's awesome that you're back, @Hawk, and this is really great stuff. Excited to see where you take it. Our stories are very similar. I left the game in 2016 for family, only playing a handful of scrambles when asked until December of 2021. Picked the game back up then and diving in deeper and deeper ever since, including also jumping back on THP earlier this year.

I enjoyed your article. I will be interested to see where your current journey leads you.

I have a somewhat similar story as far as giving up the game for a period of time. I have been playing for more than 50 years. In 2008, I stopped playing, caused in part by a failed attempt to achieve a single digit handicap. And during that time, I was not enjoying playing golf. I was too focused on score and not focused on enjoying the game.

From 2009-2015, I played once a year in a scramble. In 2016, my brother asked me to play in a weekly league. I agreed and began playing again, although with a different attitude. I promised myself that I was going to enjoy every opportunity that I had to play, regardless of how I played. That is how I continue to approach the game.

It wasn’t until last year that I decided to reestablish my handicap. I have gotten down to an 11.0 index but I’m no longer consumed with a desire to achieve single digits.

I’m currently considering taking lessons. I haven’t had a lesson since 2002 and have only taken 2 in my lifetime. I’m striving to play better golf and not necessarily chasing a lower handicap or lower scores. I go out every time and do the best that I can that day. Nothing bad is going to happen to me if I hit a bad shot or play poorly. There will always be another day and another round.

Great post. I like that you quit chasing a number. That’s exactly where I am at mentally. The funny thing is, my hunch is that the numbers will come even without a huge focus on them. Things have a way of working out.

This is all of our story to one extent or another. All of us know the feeling of a perfectly struck shot. That’s the hook, and we want to do it again and again.

We also all know the feeling of a shank. It’s the utter confusion of why you can hit a perfect shot, then hit a terrible one right after with what feels like the same swing. It’s maddening enough to join a forum full of strangers to talk about it like it’s an AA meeting.

Thanks for sharing.

I was definitely the golfer who was super nervous around others, especially random groups. The first couple THP experiences and outings I went to the first couple holes were always so nerve wracking, but sticking with it has changed that for me, and now it never bothers me playing with anyone. If nothing else, THP has given me that confidence to be able to go to any course as a single and have fun no matter who I get paired with.

Welcome back! @Hawk your article hits very close to home as I am sure it does for many a golfer here. We all want to get better and I feel that, though we are capable of hitting good shots and having good rounds, the pendulum swings both ways and bad habits that lessons and practice seem to 'erase' can come back to haunt you out of the blue. I have found that a break, thinking about solutions and working only on the basics and simple drills can help a lot, rather than trying to grind something out on the range.

Mentally, I think I have turned a corner and can enjoy a round of golf even when my swing flies off the rails. Golf is a fun walk and even if I stray off the fairway trail (or hit 0% of the fairways which has happened 5 times this year) I can at least appreciate 1 or 2 good aspects of the game. Very rarely does my whole game fall apart during a single round. Typically I will take my lumps off the tee, drop, and see what my short game can eek out.

This will be a fun read and a good follow! I look forward to laughing, celebrating and cringing along with your story!

Thanks for the post!

I’ve always been lucky to have a decent short game, which has bailed me out more than I deserve. That has taken a bit of time to regain over the last couple months., but I can see it slowly coming back and that has helped quite a bit. I would definitely love consistency with the full swing, and my hope is that I can simplify it and get something that works more often than not, especially under pressure.

This is all of our story to one extent or another.

This is so true on a number of levels.
Everybody has lives get in the way of what they would really want to do. Or better yet, sometimes it is as simple as pure motivation and lack thereof.

My swing escaped me. I went from a low single digit golfer with a pretty good short game, to a person that hopes it shows up that day timing wise. Why? Lack of play I am sure, gone from twice a week every week to every other month and no swings in between. So when I started down the lesson path, I figured it was the right call. But I didnt have the time or motivation to beat balls on the range in between sessions and get an alignment stick out. So habits crept in. Over the top came back. Steep came back and got worse. Ball position escaped. So here I am, a broken golfer, now working to fix it finally since I am playing more in THP Experiences.

I am so excited to see where @Hawk takes this because you are right, there is a little bit of this in all of us.

I have only been a member here since 2019, so I have not been privy to your writings, but I look forward to them.
I retired from California, moved to Texas, and after a 2 month golf layoff, I proceeded to play a round with a local THP sub-teen golfer. I could not hit anything, and was embarrassed every time I teed off. They have a rule of no worse than double the hole handicap plus 1 stroke, and I took advantage of that about 4 times. I shot in the 120s. Worse than a brand new golfer. Needless to say, I took on the mission of getting better. I joined a local club and proceeded to play once per week, and eventually twice per week and my handicap fell, a lot. I now consistently shoot in the high 80s to low 90s and I am fine with that. Do I want to get better, you bet, but I am not rushing anything. I played golf for a few years when I was in my 20s before kids came and dominated my life. I coached baseball for 5 years, was a cubmaster for same, all the while going back to college to get my BS and then my MS. Fast forward to 2019, my kids are all grown and my wife started to show an interest in golf. Her company sponsored a golf tournament for years, and she was relegated to sitting at the hospitality table for hours on end since she did not golf. After a few years of that, she realized that being a golfer would be way better than sitting down all tournament, so she took lessons. Not to be outdone (left behind), I took up the game again and never looked back. We now play together twice per week and have a blast. I look forward to your take on gaming equipment as your game seems to be in the same boat as mine. :oops:

I feel your pain on the first part. It’s like your brain and body just rebels!

Very cool that you’ve found a way to share the game with your wife. Something I hope happens for me one day.

As for equipment- definitely stay tuned.

It's awesome that you're back, @Hawk, and this is really great stuff. Excited to see where you take it. Our stories are very similar. I left the game in 2016 for family, only playing a handful of scrambles when asked until December of 2021. Picked the game back up then and diving in deeper and deeper ever since, including also jumping back on THP earlier this year.

In my absence I never even knew that. Seems to me like you didn’t miss a beat. I’ve been watching your path to the GD and it seemed like you had a solid weekend in Myrtle. Just learning how to play when you’re exhausted will help lol.

This is all of our story to one extent or another. All of us know the feeling of a perfectly struck shot. That’s the hook, and we want to do it again and again.

We also all know the feeling of a shank. It’s the utter confusion of why you can hit a perfect shot, then hit a terrible one right after with what feels like the same swing. It’s maddening enough to join a forum full of strangers to talk about it like it’s an AA meeting.

Thanks for sharing.

Isn’t that the truth.

I was definitely the golfer who was super nervous around others, especially random groups. The first couple THP experiences and outings I went to the first couple holes were always so nerve wracking, but sticking with it has changed that for me, and now it never bothers me playing with anyone. If nothing else, THP has given me that confidence to be able to go to any course as a single and have fun no matter who I get paired with.

Very cool that your THP experience has given you that mindset.

In my absence I never even knew that. Seems to me like you didn’t miss a beat. I’ve been watching your path to the GD and it seemed like you had a solid weekend in Myrtle. Just learning how to play when you’re exhausted will help lol.
Exhausted during the Myrtle trip is putting it lightly 😂

this article hit incredibly close to home after the last ~2 months for me. Looking forward to following your journey and also providing updates on my journey to trying to become a better golfer
Same. My whole first round at The Goat, apologizing to everyone when I hit bad shots. Just getting back into the game after years off and having to learn to enjoy it.

Great article @Hawk definitely think a lot of folks can relate.

Speaking of THP experiences, I felt like I dropped a little Easter egg in the article 🙃
So the last member of the GD?

It definitely is a great time to be a bad golfer (see handicap <--)

Love the article... as others have posted it def feels like my story as well.

Definitely not that, but I know the contest for the spot will be around soon!
Was thinking maybe redemption tour.

Same. My whole first round at The Goat, apologizing to everyone when I hit bad shots. Just getting back into the game after years off and having to learn to enjoy it.

Great article @Hawk definitely think a lot of folks can relate.

You had a great group to play with at least. Can’t think of a more positive opponent than @Canadan (while he politely dominates lol). We’ve definitely all been there.

Was thinking maybe redemption tour.

Man, I’ve been following all the live threads and lead-up threads and to say I’m chomping at the bit to get back in one is an understatement. Hopefully 2023 for sure.

Better yet, could I use the power of THP and the golf industry to put a little icing on the cake – an experience they’d never forget?
Is this the Easter Egg?🤔

You had a great group to play with at least. Can’t think of a more positive opponent than @Canadan (while he politely dominates lol). We’ve definitely all been there.
It was the most polite a$$whooping I have ever had. @JasonFinleyCG kept us in the match as much as he could, and his trash talk is untouchable :ROFLMAO:.

Speaking of THP experiences, I felt like I dropped a little Easter egg in the article 🙃
An event with pros?? 🧐

Back