Breaking the Code with Hawk

Very captivating article! Looking forward to hearing more.

Great to have you back, Ryan. Look forward to following along.

Thanks for sharing that, @Hawk. I said "that's me" at least a half-dozen times reading the piece.

There have been a couple of times in my life where I've been in the single digits. I was playing 2, maybe 3, times a week and hitting balls at least every other day. But, physical breakdowns reduced my golf to a scant fraction of what it was. I tried to find a swing that didn't cause pain but learned that the spot of no pain in the swing was a moving target (still is) and likely wasn't the same from one swing to the next. I enjoyed the game less and didn't play as often. When I quit drinking, I played even less (1 or 2 rounds in 3 years) because golf was a drinking experience for me.

After a few surgeries, I started playing somewhat regularly again. I re-established my handicap. I found THP and got in some experiences over a few years. I finally took lessons. But, I didn't do the work to really get the benefits from them. A bad short game cost me at least 4 or 5 shots a round just in double chips. I took more lessons and things started to improve so I decided to pursue a single digit cap again. But, again, I didn't put in enough work. I would have a good range sessions and think I've got it. Nope. My attitude about the game and feelings for it were dropping. Loved THP but gave some thought to putting down the clubs. That came to a head when I shot a 49 on the front one day. I was done. I was looking up club values on the internet and mentally composing my BST post. And then brought it home in 37. Golf is fickle.

I just focused on the next shot. That's kept me going the last couple of months. If I get to a single digit, I get there. If not, I'll keep enjoying THP and have a lot more fun on the course.

@Hawk Welcome back. You probably don't remember but your encouragement to me to submit an entry into the Morgan Cup in 2013 resulted in my getting to experience one of the great golfing events of my life. I'm forever indebted for that encouragement.

I too am on a focused quest to improve. I absolutely agree it's important to do what you can to improve, but not let scores run or ruin your life. We have to be mindful to enjoy getting out on the course and hitting shots through both the good rounds and bad. And most importantly, we need to focus on enjoying spending time with people important to us.

I'm excited to follow along your journey and see how it tracks with mine.

So, do you think the winter work helped in the long term? Do you think an investment in technology might have helped you there? I’m asking that not knowing what your indoor setup was.

We are going to attack winter pretty hard this year I think. Definitely have some cool plans there that I hope the forum can get in on. I expect the normal adjustment to actual golf when spring comes, but I want to get a head start.
Yes and no. My set-up last year was pretty basic, I had a hitting strip and a net, it was pretty shoe string but I don't regret making that initial investment as it kept me swinging this winter and helped me get the reps in that I needed. That being said, the "no" part of the answer comes from the feedback aspect. It’s pretty difficult to gauge any sort of ball flight and if the changes you are making are working from hitting into a net 8' away, and simulator time is definitely a costly aspect for us in the winter up here ($40+/hr), which adds up quick if you're aiming to hit balls/play golf a few times a week. I weighed out the costs this year and purchased a SkyTrak unit for this winter, I haven't had a ton of time to use it yet other than some wedge work but I'm confident it will lead to more quality practice this winter. I wouldn't say I have time to burn, my constraints are similar to yours with a young family, and I want to make that practice time count!

Cool story and this will be fun. Like many others, I totally relate to this story. I took years away from the game and came back and wanted to be “good” and got down to my goal of single digits. Then I wanted more and hurt my back and haven’t been the same since. My swing isn’t good and I need to hit lots of balls to have timing show up on a more regular basis. But now my back doesn’t cooperate with hitting balls everyday and my game suffers. So I will follow along with this. I personally am working on a better swing so I don’t need to time my flipping hands through impact. And short game always helps lower scores.

The timing aspect is the exact conversation I had with @JB the other day. It’s the exact reason why the swings between good and bad can be so severe imo. A little pressure that tightens up the body, or a lack of constant practice, just hoses it all up.

I’ve done a bunch of research on what swing I’m going to try to build and one of the most important criteria I’m looking for is something that doesn’t require so much timing. I want something where the club face doesn’t have to open/close through manipulation so much.

Thanks for sharing that, @Hawk. I said "that's me" at least a half-dozen times reading the piece.

There have been a couple of times in my life where I've been in the single digits. I was playing 2, maybe 3, times a week and hitting balls at least every other day. But, physical breakdowns reduced my golf to a scant fraction of what it was. I tried to find a swing that didn't cause pain but learned that the spot of no pain in the swing was a moving target (still is) and likely wasn't the same from one swing to the next. I enjoyed the game less and didn't play as often. When I quit drinking, I played even less (1 or 2 rounds in 3 years) because golf was a drinking experience for me.

After a few surgeries, I started playing somewhat regularly again. I re-established my handicap. I found THP and got in some experiences over a few years. I finally took lessons. But, I didn't do the work to really get the benefits from them. A bad short game cost me at least 4 or 5 shots a round just in double chips. I took more lessons and things started to improve so I decided to pursue a single digit cap again. But, again, I didn't put in enough work. I would have a good range sessions and think I've got it. Nope. My attitude about the game and feelings for it were dropping. Loved THP but gave some thought to putting down the clubs. That came to a head when I shot a 49 on the front one day. I was done. I was looking up club values on the internet and mentally composing my BST post. And then brought it home in 37. Golf is fickle.

I just focused on the next shot. That's kept me going the last couple of months. If I get to a single digit, I get there. If not, I'll keep enjoying THP and have a lot more fun on the course.

That’s a hell of a story. I think one thing that’s allowed me to get through this current rusty period is just enjoying the social aspect, both with family and the THP forum. It’s good for the brain.

@Hawk Welcome back. You probably don't remember but your encouragement to me to submit an entry into the Morgan Cup in 2013 resulted in my getting to experience one of the great golfing events of my life. I'm forever indebted for that encouragement.

I too am on a focused quest to improve. I absolutely agree it's important to do what you can to improve, but not let scores run or ruin your life. We have to be mindful to enjoy getting out on the course and hitting shots through both the good rounds and bad. And most importantly, we need to focus on enjoying spending time with people important to us.

I'm excited to follow along your journey and see how it tracks with mine.

I have many shortcomings, but a good memory is probably the thing I’m happiest to be blessed with. I do remember those conversations back in 2012/2013 and I also remember you being on a consistent path similar to mine in terms of trying to continually get better. Thanks for reading Wade!

Yes and no. My set-up last year was pretty basic, I had a hitting strip and a net, it was pretty shoe string but I don't regret making that initial investment as it kept me swinging this winter and helped me get the reps in that I needed. That being said, the "no" part of the answer comes from the feedback aspect. It’s pretty difficult to gauge any sort of ball flight and if the changes you are making are working from hitting into a net 8' away, and simulator time is definitely a costly aspect for us in the winter up here ($40+/hr), which adds up quick if you're aiming to hit balls/play golf a few times a week. I weighed out the costs this year and purchased a SkyTrak unit for this winter, I haven't had a ton of time to use it yet other than some wedge work but I'm confident it will lead to more quality practice this winter. I wouldn't say I have time to burn, my constraints are similar to yours with a young family, and I want to make that practice time count!

This is exactly what I was wondering. I’ve also spent a lot of time hitting blind into a net and I’m not going to repeat the mistake. I hope the SkyTrack works well. Something I’ve definitely had an eye on.

Time constraints are real, aren’t they? My thought is that maybe bringing some of the practice opportunities home might make them easier.
I have a putting mat in my room which has helped. One thing that I need to do more of is just taking 10-20 swings a day with no ball. I'm in a condo with no outdoor space but I really need to push myself to just find 10 minutes a day for it.

Looking forward to following this along @Hawk . I really empathize with your golf journey, as I go through mine.

So, do you think the winter work helped in the long term? Do you think an investment in technology might have helped you there? I’m asking that not knowing what your indoor setup was.

We are going to attack winter pretty hard this year I think. Definitely have some cool plans there that I hope the forum can get in on. I expect the normal adjustment to actual golf when spring comes, but I want to get a head start.
Yes and no. My set-up last year was pretty basic, I had a hitting strip and a net, it was pretty shoe string but the work obviously paid off. That being said, the no part of the answer comes from the feedback aspect. It’s pretty difficult to gauge any sort of ball flight from hitting into a net 8’ away, but I’ve remedied that this year
This is exactly what I was wondering. I’ve also spent a lot of time hitting blind into a net and I’m not going to repeat the mistake. I hope the SkyTrack works well. Something I’ve definitely had an eye on.
Ill probably do a bit of a write-up on it or combine it with my improvement thread at some point. I’ll probably pick my coaches brain a bit and see if I can get a more constructive practice plan laid out for the winter based off the existing software and the holes in my game. If you have any questions let me know!

Good stuff. Appreciate the candor and the opportunity to learn about the path you've traveled here. Great read.

It's great to see you back Hawk. It's great to read your perspective again. Golfing with my son has rejuvenated my love for the game. He's not as in love yet, but he likes being out with me. I hope you and your son continue to bond on the course.

Very good read! I can emphasize. I know I've had a few moments or times on the course where my swing has left me, and it can be pretty humiliating, especially around new people who don't have a baseline idea of what you are capable of.

That resonated. A lot. I was never a single digit golfer, but the fight is still in my mind. I started playing in 2011, when my parents (who started a year earlier) said that they'll pay for my green card and first clubs, as long as I come home safe from Afghanistan.

I did, they paid, I got hooked. Played 30-50 rounds a year, which is quite a lot up here with a short season. Went quickly to about 20 hcp. I worked on the range a lot and took some lessons, I was really pushing to go comfortably to low 90's. But couldn't. At some point in a round all would fall apart, as I was trying too much. And then the mental collapse would follow.

The came three kids in four years, covid and a ton of other life stuff that made me play 0-2 rounds a year for several years. On one of those rounds something just clicked. I wasn't worried about the score, since I knew I couldn't make a pb. I was suddenly just enjoying being out there on the course, playing. Succeeding in 1/5 shots. But it no longer mattered.

This year my 4&6 yo wanted to try golf, so I took them to little kids practice. One time I took my own clubs with me and started hitting range shots for the first time in five years. And I suddenly enjoyed working on my swing.

I started thinking about upgrading my clubs after I snapped my 9i on my first round this year (scored 118 iirc). I was searching for reviews and comments and found the LTDx irons thread on THP. Bought those. Then bought the driver as well. And now a Garmin R10 to have some feedback on my practice. And I find myself really into golf, golf tech and training again!

So thanks for a great piece of writing nad will definitely follow this thread and your journey.

That resonated. A lot. I was never a single digit golfer, but the fight is still in my mind. I started playing in 2011, when my parents (who started a year earlier) said that they'll pay for my green card and first clubs, as long as I come home safe from Afghanistan.

I did, they paid, I got hooked. Played 30-50 rounds a year, which is quite a lot up here with a short season. Went quickly to about 20 hcp. I worked on the range a lot and took some lessons, I was really pushing to go comfortably to low 90's. But couldn't. At some point in a round all would fall apart, as I was trying too much. And then the mental collapse would follow.

The came three kids in four years, covid and a ton of other life stuff that made me play 0-2 rounds a year for several years. On one of those rounds something just clicked. I wasn't worried about the score, since I knew I couldn't make a pb. I was suddenly just enjoying being out there on the course, playing. Succeeding in 1/5 shots. But it no longer mattered.

This year my 4&6 yo wanted to try golf, so I took them to little kids practice. One time I took my own clubs with me and started hitting range shots for the first time in five years. And I suddenly enjoyed working on my swing.

I started thinking about upgrading my clubs after I snapped my 9i on my first round this year (scored 118 iirc). I was searching for reviews and comments and found the LTDx irons thread on THP. Bought those. Then bought the driver as well. And now a Garmin R10 to have some feedback on my practice. And I find myself really into golf, golf tech and training again!

So thanks for a great piece of writing nad will definitely follow this thread and your journey.

Great story and I’m glad you found THP. We love when people come looking for information on equipment and decide to join the community.

Good read @Hawk. I think all of us amateurs have been there at some point. Even as a single digit hdcp a couple years ago I got a bad case of the s words that literally almost made me quit the game. I'd play rounds with none, I'd play 11 holes just fine then on the 12th it happens and I'm screwed the rest of the round because I was terrified of what was going to happen next. It took me almost 1.5 seasons to get over it. Let me tell you playing with people who know you well and telling them they need to move was brutal. They look at you like your crazy....then it happens and they are like OH ****. It was bad. So we've all been there, you are not alone.

Oh and welcome back ;)

Good read @Hawk. I think all of us amateurs have been there at some point. Even as a single digit hdcp a couple years ago I got a bad case of the s words that literally almost made me quit the game. I'd play rounds with none, I'd play 11 holes just fine then on the 12th it happens and I'm screwed the rest of the round because I was terrified of what was going to happen next. It took me almost 1.5 seasons to get over it. Let me tell you playing with people who know you well and telling them they need to move was brutal. They look at you like your crazy....then it happens and they are like OH ****. It was bad. So we've all been there, you are not alone.

Oh and welcome back ;)

Oof. I kinda hate that story 😂

I think topic will hit home for a lot of us. @Hawk I love how you are able to be vulnerable and honest with your game and expectations. I didn't take time off like you did, but I did get to a point where family had to come first and sacrifice my pursuit of trying to be the "Mexican Tiger Woods", lol. The time off or the infrequency of me playing/practicing allowed me to take a few steps back and see I was chasing insanity. Breaking my ankle put me on the shelf for 6-7 months and that really helped me hit the reset button. I focused on my short game because I couldn't full swing, and course management. To my surprise the first time out I still broke 100 and kept it respectable, but something was off.

I've been a player who likes information, but wants it in small, finite and consumable portions. I don't need the big picture, I want the step by step process and let me "feel my way" through it. recently I went to work fixing my slice/OTT move. I landed on some small, but key points to help me be more consistent and more importantly have fun. I hated playing a round of golf and coming away looking at what I didn't do well versus building on what I did right. My journey is still evolving, but I am now in the mid 80's consistently and with a hot putter can see high 70's. All of that comes from taking a different perspective of not looking for the end result, but enjoying the journey or process that is getting me there.

I am looking forward to more of your content and what the "experience" brings.

Nice write up @Hawk and welcome back! Your description is spot on with the pressure. Since coming back into the game i have gone all in with lessons ,practice, gear changes and love every minute of it. I play as much as possible also to keep the momentum going. I have worked hard to drop my cap but have been stuck with getting it lower. Pressure is a real thing and i cant wait to read this thread as it evolves to learn how to deal with it.

Great stuff and will be following along for the ride

I think topic will hit home for a lot of us. @Hawk I love how you are able to be vulnerable and honest with your game and expectations. I didn't take time off like you did, but I did get to a point where family had to come first and sacrifice my pursuit of trying to be the "Mexican Tiger Woods", lol. The time off or the infrequency of me playing/practicing allowed me to take a few steps back and see I was chasing insanity. Breaking my ankle put me on the shelf for 6-7 months and that really helped me hit the reset button. I focused on my short game because I couldn't full swing, and course management. To my surprise the first time out I still broke 100 and kept it respectable, but something was off.

I've been a player who likes information, but wants it in small, finite and consumable portions. I don't need the big picture, I want the step by step process and let me "feel my way" through it. recently I went to work fixing my slice/OTT move. I landed on some small, but key points to help me be more consistent and more importantly have fun. I hated playing a round of golf and coming away looking at what I didn't do well versus building on what I did right. My journey is still evolving, but I am now in the mid 80's consistently and with a hot putter can see high 70's. All of that comes from taking a different perspective of not looking for the end result, but enjoying the journey or process that is getting me there.

I am looking forward to more of your content and what the "experience" brings.

Love the line about enjoying what is getting you there MikeG! Well said.

Nice write up @Hawk and welcome back! Your description is spot on with the pressure. Since coming back into the game i have gone all in with lessons ,practice, gear changes and love every minute of it. I play as much as possible also to keep the momentum going. I have worked hard to drop my cap but have been stuck with getting it lower. Pressure is a real thing and i cant wait to read this thread as it evolves to learn how to deal with it.

You’ve got the GD ahead of you too. That’s a lot to take in. My suggestion from past experiences is work hard to prepare, but go be the best you when you’re there, whatever that is. Just let your game and index work for you.

Back