Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
What a journey Titleist has been on the past six years. It was that long ago when the company sat down and decided to take a very introspective look in the mirror when it came to metalwoods. Turns out, it was one of the best things they ever could have done. You see, it was at that time when Titleist was making good drivers in their 900-series. They were often applauded for their playability, but there was something missing. Speed. 

So, the “Titleist Speed Project” was established, and the company set out to create a product that could stand toe to toe with any other in the marketplace not just in playability, but also sheer speed and power. First came TS which was a notable jump from the 900-series, but it was the TSi which kicked the door down for the company. The TSi has been the #1 driver on...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Great rundown. I know there are some excited folks out there waiting to talk about these. Let’s hear your thoughts!

Woohoo!! It's the day!! 😁

Thanks for all the details on the release @Jman ! 😍 what they're doing with these.

I kind of fell in love the second pictures got out because I didn't think they could make a better looking line than the TSi. They did though. They just happen to have made a whole bunch of improvements along with that too. Overachievers. lol

I could play the 2, 3, or 4, but am partial to the 3. The 2 is so crazy good, but I really loved my TSi3, and from hitting the r3, there's a couple distinct advantages over my current driver with it for me. Little different weight placement and shape and it has consistently launched a little easier for me over my gamer. There's some forgiveness in that on course.

Speeds have been real good! Was fresh and frisky one session and broke my speed PB with the TSr2, and then with the 3 a couple times more. Love the sound and the stability. The 4 sounds really cool, but a bit different. Smaller, 11g up, it's a little old school metal bat to my ears compared to the others.

The one thing that I need a little more time on is the low strike with the r3. It's not my typical miss, so it's not common, but a couple of the times I've ventured down there I've been a little unimpressed. They have the new speed ring faces that are supposed to be more consistent, but I've had a couple 'huh's low. Not spinning up necessarily, but have seen a decent speed dip. Seems to be backed up on course, but it's still small samples. Makes sense with the new face though now. I think I might have misheard that originally. Still getting a feel for it. The higher face on the other hand, seems fairly solid. I loved that about my i3, and it seems decent on the r3. There's good launch and the spin doesn't drop all the way off the planet. It's been really playable. Bomby even.

Best numbers for me have been with my Ventus Black overall, but the new Hzrdus black is what I was swinging when I was punching all those personal best speeds. I've been tinkering the last couple with the Tensei 1k Black though. I'm putting it up against the Ventus today at the range.

Love the new sounds even more than the last version. Took some vids on the course with the 3 on a quick round, so maybe you can hear the sound of it. And there were some GREAT shots for a fast round with a bit of a different setup. Able to work the flights and shapes, had a few in the 350 range, lots of well controlled 320s. Real good.

Haven't decided on my exact setup yet. There's time, and there's a lot of good to choose from. Heads should be out near everyone now,

20220907_160538.jpg

GO HIT THEM!!! :D

Last edited:
Great write up @Jman. That TSR2 sounds amazing. Launch and some spin help is perfect for me. I have been hammering driver lately so getting this thing in the right spot could be a boost for me. Excited to go try it out.

Side note: I freaking love the design aesthetic Titleist has gone with. It’s clean and classy and doesn’t show it’s age. Very European auto styling. It really stands out in a product market that often leans loud and tacky.

Last edited:

Thanks for all the details on the release @Jman ! 😍 what they're doing with these.

I kind of fell in love the second pictures got out because I didn't think they could make a better looking line than the TSi. They did though. They just happen to have made a whole bunch of improvements along with that too. Overachievers. lol

I could play the 2, 3, or 4, but am partial to the 3. The 2 is so crazy good, but I really loved my TSi3, and from hitting the r3, there's a couple distinct advantages over my current driver with it for me. Little different weight placement and shape and it has consistently launched a little easier for me over my gamer. There's some forgiveness in that on course.

Speeds have been real good! Was fresh and frisky one session and broke my speed PB with the TSr2, and then with the 3 a couple times more. Love the sound and the stability. The 4 sounds really cool, but a bit different. Smaller, 11g up, it's a little old school metal bat to my ears compared to the others.

The one thing that I need a little more time on is the low strike with the r3. It's not my typical miss, so it's not common, but a couple of the times I've ventured down there I've been a little unimpressed. They have the new speed ring faces that are supposed to be more consistent, but I've had a couple 'huh's low. Not spinning up necessarily, but have seen a decent speed dip. Seems to be backed up on course, but it's still small samples. Makes sense with the new face though now. I think I might have misheard that originally. Still getting a feel for it. The higher face on the other hand, seems fairly solid. I loved that about my i3, and it seems decent on the r3. There's good launch and the spin doesn't drop all the way off the planet. It's been really playable. Bomby even.

Best numbers for me have been with my Ventus Black overall, but the new Hzrdus black is what I was swinging when I was punching all those personal best speeds. I've been tinkering the last couple with the Tensei 1k Black though. I'm putting it up against the Ventus today at the range.

Love the new sounds even more than the last version. Took some vids on the course with the 3 on a quick round, so maybe you can hear the sound of it. And there were some GREAT shots for a fast round with a bit of a different setup. Able to work the flights and shapes, had a few in the 350 range, lots of well controlled 320s. Real good.

Haven't decided on my exact setup yet. There's time, and there's a lot of good to choose from. Heads should be out near everyone now,

View attachment 9118669

Neat video - it does sound great! I hate the looks that narrow hole you showed btw 😐

Neat video - it does sound great! I hate the looks that narrow hole you showed btw 😐
I was hoping the sounds would come through. It gets comment early and often. It's so uniquely good to them.

Haha That's what makes it such a fun course with a new driver though. Have to shape and place it on just about every hole. Let's you see where you're actually at with something so fast. If it's a bad match it's glaring.

I was hoping the sounds would come through. It gets comment early and often. It's so uniquely good to them.

Haha That's what makes it such a fun course with a new driver though. Have to shape and place it on just about every hole. Let's you see where you're actually at with something so fast. If it's a bad match it's glaring.

Yea I get that! Do you think you’ll stick with one setup for awhile once you get the shaft choice figured out?

This is exactly the ASMR I’ve been not so patiently waiting for. 😍
Nothing like it. I’ve got to go hit these asap.

Yea I get that! Do you think you’ll stick with one setup for awhile once you get the shaft choice figured out?
Yeah, I tend to. I work the decision process hard and then usually stick with it for a couple hundred rounds. Excited to do a direct shaft comparison outdoors later today.

View attachment 9118669

Look at that guy just crushing drives effortlessly down the fairway.

I’ve been lucky enough to have these in the bag since mid August and have gotten a half dozen or so rounds in with the TSR3 driver and TSR2+/TSR2 fairways. The feel and sound are much better than the Stealth Plus in my opinion and I picked up about three to four miles per hour of ball speed over the TSi3 I played last season.

The face construction of the TSR4 is really smart.

20220908_062114.jpg

Was comparing the old 4 to the new. Besides being more playable, it looks a ton better to me. Way more refined.

I don't know that it gets much better than this though..

20220906_163727.jpg

🤤🤤

Last edited:
great write up @Jman that was super informative. i’m still most interested in the tsr2, especially with the better shaping and the plateau vft face design. kudos to them for the lower price on premium graphite design shafts. great stuff!

great write up @Jman that was super informative. i’m still most interested in the tsr2, especially with the better shaping and the plateau vft face design. kudos to them for the lower price on premium graphite design shafts. great stuff!
Appreciate you taking the time to read!

For the Titleist Experience I was fit into the TSR4 with Ventus Black 6X, 10.0 head set dead standard on the adapter, but heavy weight back.

It really does make it like a TSR3.5.

At my fitting they discussed how many of their Titleist Staff were ending up in the 4 and it was wild. But when I hit it, I saw why. Misses are playable, they don’t knuckle out of the sky for me.

Ended up averaging 13.4 launch and 2300 rpm with “significant misses” still staying at 3k or just below.

Last edited:
75717S5TE01.jpg

Hmmm … based on “the CG in the TSR2 is lower and forward than the TS2 and TSi2,” I may be sticking with the 2, if that means the forward will help lower the trajectory just a tad. 🤔

The 2 may not be the sexiest of the trio, but, I don’t want to give up its uncanny ability to find the fairway.

Over the last few years I admit I haven't paid much attention to Titleist, maybe time to change that.

Great read @Jman and initial thoughts @OldandStiff . The TSR2 would be on my absolute short list. Love the refinements and improvements

Hmmm … based on “the CG in the TSR2 is lower and forward than the TS2 and TSi2,” I may be sticking with the 2, if that means the forward will help lower the trajectory just a tad. 🤔

The 2 may not be the sexiest of the trio, but, I don’t want to give up its uncanny ability to find the fairway.
That was a major reasoning for moving the CG as they did.

Hit all these and they are impressive. I will say, unrelated to the driver the tensei IK was not good for me.

Back