Official Rant of the Day

I laugh because I feel your pain. And I’m not allowed to comment when these things occur or else my golf budget is brought into the discussion.
EXACTLY!

I did throw in a couple new work dress shirts and a new pair of slacks just so I felt like I got something out of the deal.

The short story: Kidney stones.

The long story:
A family member was having them removed tomorrow, but the appointment was rescheduled for next week on a day that had 4 other doctor's appointments. Fun time rescheduling those. This pushes the procedure to just 4 days before a family vacation. Thankfully it is not surgery but I am a bit stressed out between family in pain and being the one to plan the trip and all details and being the driver to all appointments.

What's he having done? Lithotripsy?

My buddy's Son, who we will be playing golf with this coming Tuesday, gets kidney stones like crazy! He even played 18 when he could feel one moving around in there, and actually passed it on the course! I have no idea how that could be possible! I am so glad that I am not afflicted with those things!

I bought my car from a large dealer because a friend was a salesperson and honestly I’ll probably never go back. There are some good dealers around here but they’re few and far in between. The family dealers by me are limited to Nissan, Honda, and Mercedes
The local Ford dealer that I dealt with experienced the same loss of vision. They were great for several years, but then got bought by a larger conglomerate and it was never the same. I cut bait and never looked back. Sadly that seems to be a theme in business these days

Today I reached the boiling point at work. I'm not sure how I am going to enact the change, but something has to happen. I don't know how, or why, but suffice to say that people (outside of THP) have little to no respect for others.

We had a site that is just shy of a four-hour drive away where the customer requested startup of the equipment for yesterday. They called Monday and admitted they were behind schedule, and asked if we could push it back. Based on my schedule at the time, the only available day to push it to was today. Around noon yesterday I talked to someone on the site who advised that it still wasn't ready; I told him I would check in at the end of the day. I did that, and based on the information I received I made the call to have my colleague head up, because if the original subject wasn't ready there would be other things that could be done. I had a stop partway that would leave me about two hours behind him. He called me around 7:30 this morning to tell me that they weren't even close to being ready. This, despite the customer signing off a document stating that everything was completed.
So, I redirected myself toward London. I called the site I was intending to head to tomorrow to ask a question. The phone immediately got passed to someone else why stated "tomorrow doesn't work for us. We've been waiting since August and you need to turn around and get here now" I should have said if you've been waiting since August one more day isn't going to make a hill of beans difference, but I wanted to get it off my plate anyway so I turned my truck around and headed in the other direction. Yeah, I had to work until 6:15 to get it done, but honestly I feel a bit of relief knowing that it's finished.
The issue I have is that the first guy either has no idea or simply doesn't care about the ripple effect that his actions had on me. I scheduled a day for him, which meant that I had to put other demands around his. Since he wasn't ready I now have to drop/shuffle/reschedule other calls because I'm going to have to get back to his eventually. That's the part that really, really p*****s me off. The saddest part of the whole ordeal is it's not just isolated to one particular customer - the "whatever" attitude is becoming more of the norm opposed to the exception. It's certainly not the way I could treat other people, that's for sure.

Old Navy was having a 40% off sale - which means my wife needed to buy 3x more than we would have bought to begin with.

Sales get her, marketing works. I need a 2nd job.
Or one less wife 🤣

WTF? Today I learned that apparently our Waste Management company operates similarly to Comcast/Xfinity in that they continually are increasing the quarterly rates (which are outrageous to start with). Then, you have to call and threaten to cancel your service and they will suddenly come up with some special rate plan.
i thought Utility type companies wouldn’t stoop to those games?

Today I reached the boiling point at work. I'm not sure how I am going to enact the change, but something has to happen. I don't know how, or why, but suffice to say that people (outside of THP) have little to no respect for others.

We had a site that is just shy of a four-hour drive away where the customer requested startup of the equipment for yesterday. They called Monday and admitted they were behind schedule, and asked if we could push it back. Based on my schedule at the time, the only available day to push it to was today. Around noon yesterday I talked to someone on the site who advised that it still wasn't ready; I told him I would check in at the end of the day. I did that, and based on the information I received I made the call to have my colleague head up, because if the original subject wasn't ready there would be other things that could be done. I had a stop partway that would leave me about two hours behind him. He called me around 7:30 this morning to tell me that they weren't even close to being ready. This, despite the customer signing off a document stating that everything was completed.
So, I redirected myself toward London. I called the site I was intending to head to tomorrow to ask a question. The phone immediately got passed to someone else why stated "tomorrow doesn't work for us. We've been waiting since August and you need to turn around and get here now" I should have said if you've been waiting since August one more day isn't going to make a hill of beans difference, but I wanted to get it off my plate anyway so I turned my truck around and headed in the other direction. Yeah, I had to work until 6:15 to get it done, but honestly I feel a bit of relief knowing that it's finished.
The issue I have is that the first guy either has no idea or simply doesn't care about the ripple effect that his actions had on me. I scheduled a day for him, which meant that I had to put other demands around his. Since he wasn't ready I now have to drop/shuffle/reschedule other calls because I'm going to have to get back to his eventually. That's the part that really, really p*****s me off. The saddest part of the whole ordeal is it's not just isolated to one particular customer - the "whatever" attitude is becoming more of the norm opposed to the exception. It's certainly not the way I could treat other people, that's for sure.
Sucks that it happens but a large part in what I see is customers all to willing to sue if deadlines aren’t met and if not them the PM as well to look as though they did their job. With the production delays it feels like customers expect the construction industry to be immune to it, let alone the labor force being nonexistent and shrinking. This brings me to your issue in that the HVAC contractor was probably told come hell or high water he better have start up on such and such date or they’d be face penalties for breach of contract and instead of listing the hold ups and delays on the job like they should they just scheduled you and hoped to be ready.

WTF? Today I learned that apparently our Waste Management company operates similarly to Comcast/Xfinity in that they continually are increasing the quarterly rates (which are outrageous to start with). Then, you have to call and threaten to cancel your service and they will suddenly come up with some special rate plan.

I just got done doing that with XM,cox and Verizon. It is ridiculous dealing with XM. If my wife didn’t like having it so much I would just drop it. It is th done phone call each year I despise making.

i just spent the last 30 mins with a customer trying to help them get their car reinstated with the state. the car is under suspension for a lapse in insurance. i kept trying to explain to the young lady what the state wants to reinstate. she keeps giving me the wrong info. about 10 times i repeat myself. then she calls her boyfriend and he does the same thing. over and over again i tell them what is required and over and over again they tell me I'm wrong. i kept saying "it's not my choice, it is what the state wants to reinstate the vehicle" of course they don't believe me....I'm only 25 years in this job (which i hate). then the boyfriend, on the phone, starts to talk real slow like I'm some kind of idiot and i need to be spoken to that way. that was the last straw.....time to go, there is the door. and then the, at the time, very meek and nice girlfriend starts to flip out and yell at me. fortunately for me another customer just walked in as she started her tirade. she got embarrassed and left.

no, i am not the old guy shaking his hand at the cloud but younger people SUCK and have no respect. yes I'm sure our parents said the same thing about our generation.

What's he having done? Lithotripsy?

My buddy's Son, who we will be playing golf with this coming Tuesday, gets kidney stones like crazy! He even played 18 when he could feel one moving around in there, and actually passed it on the course! I have no idea how that could be possible! I am so glad that I am not afflicted with those things!
It will be a ureteroscopy. Tube goes up and pulls out the culprit. I hear it is just lovely, but they do it while you sleep. Thankfully it is a small stone.

Yep. Broadband cable. It's in the ground and stops maybe 1/2 mile from my house. I'm not eligible for it. I'm not paying them to drop me a connection. If it was $500, maybe. Not when it's several thousand dollars though. And the kicker would be everyone else in my neighborhood would benefit from that. I'm nice, but not THAT generous.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

And no, I don't speak with my neighbors. I don't know them. I've almost never seen them. And I'm fine with that.

Underserved area... that's me! Fiber is in the ground just up the road from me. I see the fiberglass posts marking it. I saw the equipment running the lines... but not to my home for some reason.🤷‍♂️
I would grab AT&T Uverse in a second if I could.
Or Carolina connect.
Or Xfinity.
Hell, I'll even take spectrum.

But I'm NOT paying THEM to lay fiber to my house for them to charge me money. If they want my business they need to come and get it. So I'll sit here on DSL until then.
Starlink. My bil has it , it’s really good and you can thumb your nose at all the terrestrial companies

Sucks that it happens but a large part in what I see is customers all to willing to sue if deadlines aren’t met and if not them the PM as well to look as though they did their job. With the production delays it feels like customers expect the construction industry to be immune to it, let alone the labor force being nonexistent and shrinking. This brings me to your issue in that the HVAC contractor was probably told come hell or high water he better have start up on such and such date or they’d be face penalties for breach of contract and instead of listing the hold ups and delays on the job like they should they just scheduled you and hoped to be ready.
Cody I think you hit the nail on the head with your assessment; unfortunately knowing the caliber of the parties involved I would expect better from them. But, I have to remember that it is 2022 and not everybody operates the way that I would.
Honest question, though: do they not think that we will remember this the next time they need something on short notice? I like to think that I'm not a vindictive person, but I'm also not an idiot either......

no, i am not the old guy shaking his hand at the cloud but younger people SUCK and have no respect. yes I'm sure our parents said the same thing about our generation.

While our parents may have said the same thing about us, I want to believe that our lack of respect was a mere fraction of the levels achieved today. And I believe this to be true, because said lack of respect had consequences. They might have been physical, they might have been verbal, but believe me they were real.

I'm one of the "senior" members of the group I work with and I hear about how much better the younger generation is on a regular basis. It rarely bothers me because this sort of thing has probably been going on since the dawn of man.

Here's the thing... most were in their mid-20's when they were hired. That was 15 years ago. If there's one thing that makes me smile is that middle age is creeping up on them. Not sure how their fragile egos are going to accept it when they realize the younger wave coming in has as much respect for them as they have for me.

Maybe the thing you can start is a policy that you're not heading 4 hours out of the way in the wrong direction without someone actually showing you on video over the phone that the site is indeed ready to flip the switch... like, if the site says "We're ready NOW!" and you demand they show you on the phone the area where you're supposed to work and if it's not prepped, say "I'm not coming. Fix your stuff first."

Or demand your boss pay you more for that crap.

Or move to a competitor that won't put up with the shenanigans.

Starlink. My bil has it , it’s really good and you can thumb your nose at all the terrestrial companies

I'm considering it. Thanks(y)

Cody I think you hit the nail on the head with your assessment; unfortunately knowing the caliber of the parties involved I would expect better from them. But, I have to remember that it is 2022 and not everybody operates the way that I would.
Honest question, though: do they not think that we will remember this the next time they need something on short notice? I like to think that I'm not a vindictive person, but I'm also not an idiot either......

Vindictive? No. More like "I'll be there in 4 hours." Then you actually head home and go to bed and get there the next day. When they blow a gasket you say, "must have been some gnarly traffic or something."🤷‍♂️

just chalk it up to inflation and move on!

Police will be called in the morning once I check my cameras. Douche bags!
3DB2846B-4827-45C3-892E-E708C9C21220.jpeg

It will be a ureteroscopy. Tube goes up and pulls out the culprit. I hear it is just lovely, but they do it while you sleep. Thankfully it is a small stone.

It is lovely indeed for about 24 hours, unless they give you an orange dye that is also a local anesthetic. I had three of them in an eight week period. I had a 15 mm stone and I was completely asymptomatic. My regular urologist went in and couldn't get it because my ureter was kinked where the stone was. He proposed going in through my kidney - a radiologist would tap it like a keg of beer - to get at it. I proposed a second opinion and found a guy who had removed well over 5,000 stones and had a lot of custom tools that enabled him to operate on, say, infants., He got 90% of it his first time in and needed a second attempt to get the remainder. The stone had been there a while and basically reduced my right kidney function by 2/3. He installed a stent after each procedure, The last had to be removed under a local in the office. I may have been under stress, but the device he used looked like a cross between a brace and bit and a drum auger/snake used by plumbers. But he was done in five seconds. The stent had to be fifteen inches long, minimum. Needless to say, I have changed my dietary and hydration habits radically.

One fire at a time for them that’s down the road not now.

Some A hole smashed a beer bottle in my backyard. And no I’m not the a hole. 100 certain there is clear glas in my pool. 😠😠😠😠😠06D0D29A-0C3E-4623-B954-8EDA3B13E129.jpeg

It is lovely indeed for about 24 hours, unless they give you an orange dye that is also a local anesthetic. I had three of them in an eight week period. I had a 15 mm stone and I was completely asymptomatic. My regular urologist went in and couldn't get it because my ureter was kinked where the stone was. He proposed going in through my kidney - a radiologist would tap it like a keg of beer - to get at it. I proposed a second opinion and found a guy who had removed well over 5,000 stones and had a lot of custom tools that enabled him to operate on, say, infants., He got 90% of it his first time in and needed a second attempt to get the remainder. The stone had been there a while and basically reduced my right kidney function by 2/3. He installed a stent after each procedure, The last had to be removed under a local in the office. I may have been under stress, but the device he used looked like a cross between a brace and bit and a drum auger/snake used by plumbers. But he was done in five seconds. The stent had to be fifteen inches long, minimum. Needless to say, I have changed my dietary and hydration habits radically.

I think that, and genetics, can have a lot to do with it. My main golf buddy, and his wife, have no history of kidney stones. But their Son has them left and right! He drinks all kinds of energy drinks and iced teas every day. A long time ago I read an article that indicated that the epicenter of kidney stone affliction was in the southeastern and southern US! That's where the most iced tea is drunk in this country! Luckily, I am unaware of any history of kidney stone in my family, and never having one in 70 years of life, leaves me feeling pretty confident of never developing one.

Back