Breaking the Code with Hawk

Ryan, cannot say how excited I am that you are back!

I echo a LOT of what you said here, particularly when it comes to THP events.

Looking forward to following along and hoping we can get some golf in together sooner rather than later.

Looking forward to what next week might have in store.

This week, I want to hear your stories about your desire to improve over the years, your successes and failures, and what lasting improvement looks like to you.

I cannot tell you how happy this story makes me.

the paragraph about course management and short game lowering the handicap but still collapsing under any pressure is me to a tee. It is SO demoralizing. As I have been on the same path I have my beliefs as to the answers to your questions, but I’ll hold them for now. I want to enjoy your journey.

Last edited:
This series had a bit of a delay while we got some things lined up, but we are just about in full swing now and there should be some content coming the next week or two.

I'll say that I've already learned a ton and seen improvement in a very short time and am excited to share some of that with everybody. Hopefully I can help some of you on your journey along the way.

This series had a bit of a delay while we got some things lined up, but we are just about in full swing now and there should be some content coming the next week or two.

I'll say that I've already learned a ton and seen improvement in a very short time and am excited to share some of that with everybody. Hopefully I can help some of you on your journey along the way.

I'm ready for this.

I am very ready for this with the current mess I am in.

Excited for this and what we all might be able to glean.

Looking forward to hearing more!

Can't wait to listen to this! Maybe you can teach me how to putt! 😆

looking forward to this! No snowbirding for me this year so looking forward to do something during the winter to help my game!

Golf is the only activity I can think of where the more you play/practice doesn't necessarily translate into getting better. Sometimes quite the contrary.

There is one exception: the short game. You don't need to be young or athletic to develop a good short game, and as most of us don't hit a lot of greens, a good short game is a real stroke saver.

Thanks all - I'm very eager to move forward with this.

Golf is the only activity I can think of where the more you play/practice doesn't necessarily translate into getting better. Sometimes quite the contrary.

There is one exception: the short game. You don't need to be young or athletic to develop a good short game, and as most of us don't hit a lot of greens, a good short game is a real stroke saver.

I can think of a ton of things that your first statement applies to (music, sports, academics) but I'd frame it differently. I think everybody has a ceiling where they aren't going to get much better at an activity after they reach it. The goal is to get the most out of what you bring to the table imo.

I can think of a ton of things that your first statement applies to (music, sports, academics) but I'd frame it differently. I think everybody has a ceiling where they aren't going to get much better at an activity after they reach it. The goal is to get the most out of what you bring to the table imo.

well said

Interesting that you say that. I read an article a couple of years ago, and the author stated that we reach our golf ceiling in our third year of playing. I don't necessarily agree, but I can see where he is coming from. The average golf score is still around 90, so despite the remarkable strides we have made technologically, playing good golf (70s) is still elusive for most golfers. My lowest score this season was a 73 and my highest was a 101. I ask myself, who does that? lol.

Interesting that you say that. I read an article a couple of years ago, and the author stated that we reach our golf ceiling in our third year of playing. I don't necessarily agree, but I can see where he is coming from. The average golf score is still around 90, so despite the remarkable strides we have made technologically, playing good golf (70s) is still elusive for most golfers. My lowest score this season was a 73 and my highest was a 101. I ask myself, who does that? lol.

I can see that, but I think you have to ask yourself why that is. I'm guessing if the average golfer invested real time into improvement they'd continue to see some forward momentum. I also think most people's ceiling is higher than they think, assuming they are able-bodied and reasonably coordinated. How many people really commit the time and have the discipline to implement the changes needed to get better? I'd say the answer is very few.

I can see that, but I think you have to ask yourself why that is. I'm guessing if the average golfer invested real time into improvement they'd continue to see some forward momentum. I also think most people's ceiling is higher than they think, assuming they are able-bodied and reasonably coordinated. How many people really commit the time and have the discipline to implement the changes needed to get better? I'd say the answer is very few.
I agree. I don't know how many times I have heard people say "lessons don't work for me." I would suggest, for the most part, it isn't that the lessons aren't working, it's that the student lacks the patience to see those swing changes through, and invariably reverts back to his old swing.

I agree. I don't know how many times I have heard people say "lessons don't work for me." I would suggest, for the most part, it isn't that the lessons aren't working, it's that the student lacks the patience to see those swing changes through, and invariably reverts back to his old swing.
Definitely. I also think poor practice is a culprit, which I think can be remedied with technology.

My vote for greatest training aid of all time? The cell phone. The camera alone has already helped me more than anything I’ve ever bought and wasted time with. Just being able to swing and see if I’m doing what I was told to is a huge help. Better yet, I sometimes have the screen facing me so I can see in real time what it feels like to be in a better position.

Better yet, I sometimes have the screen facing me so I can see in real time what it feels like to be in a better position.
This is an underrated use. It can be very helpful. And it can be done alone or in private. I was reminded again recently how many play/practice alone, or are less social out there, and are sometimes even here because of that. Cell phone and a SelfieGolf/tripod are great tools.

Really looking forward to seeing where this one goes.

I’m ready, I can use all of the help.

Help. Exactly what all golfers need even if they don’t realize it.

I think everybody has a ceiling where they aren't going to get much better at an activity after they reach it. The goal is to get the most out of what you bring to the table imo.

Something someone posted on another golf forum years ago has always stuck with me...

The level at which I play golf does not define me as a person.

The individual was a very good golfer, an instructor, and a college coach. The game was his livelihood, and he was passionate about it. Yet, he seemed to downplay the importance of how skilled he was.

I'm the opposite. I've put too much importance on improvement, have little to show for it, and have at times felt sh***y about myself because of it. My friends and family who don't play golf believe I'm being modest when I say I'm not very good at the game. I can't blame them. I mean, how can anyone play as much, practice as much and put as much energy towards something and not be just a little good at it.

At some point I struggled to decide whether the passion and drive were writing checks my abilities couldn't cash, or whether I wasn't pushing myself enough to reach my full potential. I'm not sure if either is better or worse than the other, but I kind of figured out that the effort and results must be enjoyable, or I would have stopped years ago.

I’m really excited for this. I wasn’t around when this was a thing before. My journey to improving has been very well documented here on THP. Putting myself and my game out there like that has been ‘out of my comfort zone’ (initially) but now it’s what drives me forward day to day. It keeps me engaged and wanting to go to the gym so I can post in the fitness thread, practice putting so I can update my putting thread, and most recently reworking my swing to get it where I want it.

I feel blessed to be able to document and share that journey with THP it has helped get me out of my shell so to speak. I can’t wait to read yours and get some inspiration. 👊

Last edited:
Back