Where is the Sweet Spot?

JR

Reaction score
Handicap
I am talking irons here. Is it dead center of the club face? Is it lower on the face? Does it change for each style of iron? I know this is a stupid question to ask, but I genuinely do not know.

It's a good question. I don't know the exact answer but I'm going to guess they differ from iron to iron. Most I would think start slightly above bottom in the center and move up and out. Just a guess though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My thought was that they differed and it seems I am right. Interesting question for sure

Tap tap taparoo

It does vary from one model to another. I think mine are just a bit toward the heel from dead center and two or three grooves up from the bottom groove.

Actually the sweet spot of a iron is determined without the shafts installed...If you had a sharp point like a pin standing vertically the sweet spot would be a point on the face where the face would balance on that pin unsupported....Many of the exact sweets spots of irons are measured by Golfworks in there testing of many of the current and older irons...You can see them on their site...In many GI irons they design the iron to help where most golfers come in contact with the ball and thats closer to the toe and a bit lower on the face...Jim

I was just reading about the different sweet spots for different clubs. Look up the club company you have then look at their specs. It should show you where yours are at.

Actually the sweet spot of a iron is determined without the shafts installed...If you had a sharp point like a pin standing vertically the sweet spot would be a point on the face where the face would balance on that pin unsupported....Many of the exact sweets spots of irons are measured by Golfworks in there testing of many of the current and older irons...You can see them on their site...In many GI irons they design the iron to help where most golfers come in contact with the ball and thats closer to the toe and a bit lower on the face...Jim

He sounds like he knows what he's talking about, so I would go with this answer. 

Who comes up with dangerous, addicting apps like Tapatalk? I love you, wife hate you

This is not exactly 100% correct. What you are referring to is the balance point, not really the sweet spot. The balance point is the same size on every iron across the board. While the balance point will also be inside the sweet spot, there are other factors and the sweet spot is considered larger. The sweet spot can be expanded, moved and altered depending on the club and the structure of it.

Thanks JB it`s pretty complicated to explain every detail of the balance point, center of gravity,sweet spot, horizontal/vertical centers..Maltby does it in a variety of calculations...Iwas just trying to briefly give a idea...some of the info below is Maltbys definition of one of the aspects...The balance point I described is a simple way of describing the point.. of coarse the sweet spot is larger than a pin point...that`s pretty much a given..Jim

So, for you guys out there that assemble clubs and have unassembled club heads lying around, here is how you check them out; Take a fine point sharpie pen and a ruler and put a vertical black line on the exact middle of the club face by simply measuring the face line length and divide that number by 2. Use a sharpened grease pencil if you do not have nail polish remover or acetone in the shop to wipe off the Sharpie mark later. Next, take an ordinary pencil, sharpen it and then cut or break the point back almost to the wood. Hold the pencil on a piece of paper and squiggle back and forth with the pencil held perfectly vertical to further flatten the point. Now, put the pencil in a vise with the graphite tip pointing directly up. Gently place the clubface on the pencil tip and move it around slowly until it finally balances on its own (most of the time it will balance on its own). When it balances, sort of press down gently and twist the head a quarter turn or so and lift it off the pencil. You should now have a fairly dark pencil mark which indicates the balance point on the face. This point is not the actual vertical center of gravity, but it is the exact horizontal center of gravity location. Finally, if the pencil mark does not fall on the vertical center line you drew earlier on the club face, then simply use the ruler to measure how far into the heel it is located and record it (rarely will you find it toward the toe, but sometimes it can be as much as1/32” or so out there).

I agree that it more than likely varies from brand to brand and set to set. My G5's appear to be pure if they are hit lower in the center of the club face.

Back