Walmart "new" Taylormade tp red golf balls

milehighgolfer

Hacking at Altitude
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I have been looking for a review on these balls ever since they came out. A forum search produced nothing for me. I would like to hear from anyone who has played the new (3 piece) tp reds that are sold only at walmart. I never played the old (4 piece) balls and would like to know if they are anything like those as they were highly regarded. I really don't know what Taylormade was trying to accomplish by this product. I played Bridgestone E5's today and liked them alot. I was wondering if TM made something that could compare other than the Penta.

Thanks for any info.

Never new that Wally world had an exclusive Taylormade tp red golf balls....interesting

I have been looking for a review on these balls ever since they came out. A forum search produced nothing for me. I would like to hear from anyone who has played the new (3 piece) tp reds that are sold only at walmart. I never played the old (4 piece) balls and would like to know if they are anything like those as they were highly regarded. I really don't know what Taylormade was trying to accomplish by this product. I played Bridgestone E5's today and liked them alot. I was wondering if TM made something that could compare other than the Penta.

Thanks for any info.

Based on the information we received, it is not a new ball, but left over stock of a previous offering that has been packaged for Walmart.

Other than the penta they have the black and red. I haven't seen a red in a long time.

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

These are the "old" 3 piece 2007 TP Red without the LDP dimple pattern. Not to be confused the the TP Red LDP as it was a 4 piece ball with the improved dimple pattern which seemed to be loved by so many.

Thanks for any info.

milehigh,

how much is the asking price for these "new" balls?

The 4 piece red was a great ball, I hate that the discontinued it.

The 4 piece red was a great ball, I hate that the discontinued it.

I still have 3 dozen of the 4 piece ball sitting in my basement.....I can't bring myself to use them, once they are gone, they are gone......

I still have 3 dozen of the 4 piece ball sitting in my basement.....I can't bring myself to use them, once they are gone, they are gone......

This reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Elaine is trying to determine if a guy is "spongeworthy".

I've bought quite a few golf balls at WalMart and once in a while they have a decent "sale" price. Most particularly earlier this year they were dumping the Nike One Tour D at $19.99 a dozen down from $39.99! I bought 3 at the time and now they're all gone. I noticed that the Titleist NXT's and NXT Tour's at WalMart very noticeably have "WalMart" printed on each individual sleeve under the flap when you open. Is this because this is Titleist's lower grade of the same ball? Or as JB mentioned with the TM balls above, that they're older or discontinued patterns of the same name?

This reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Elaine is trying to determine if a guy is "spongeworthy".

I've bought quite a few golf balls at WalMart and once in a while they have a decent "sale" price. Most particularly earlier this year they were dumping the Nike One Tour D at $19.99 a dozen down from $39.99! I bought 3 at the time and now they're all gone. I noticed that the Titleist NXT's and NXT Tour's at WalMart very noticeably have "WalMart" printed on each individual sleeve under the flap when you open. Is this because this is Titleist's lower grade of the same ball? Or as JB mentioned with the TM balls above, that they're older or discontinued patterns of the same name?

Spiff,

I got to believe it is discontinued balls. I dont think they would put lower grade balls and package them as Titleist that would seem to hurt their image..

milehigh,

how much is the asking price for these "new" balls?

I believe it was $29, the same as the blacks. Were the "old" 3 piece reds any good? Also the package had the LDP label but the dimple count is wrong.
My initial post was asking if anyone had bought any to try.
I was looking to try the blacks as my next ball but would like to know if these reds were a better ball. My benchmark ball now is the E5 as I will not spend $40+ on a dozen balls.

I believe it was $29, the same as the blacks. Were the "old" 3 piece reds any good? Also the package had the LDP label but the dimple count is wrong.
My initial post was asking if anyone had bought any to try.
I was looking to try the blacks as my next ball but would like to know if these reds were a better ball. My benchmark ball now is the E5 as I will not spend $40+ on a dozen balls.

Neither are better or worse really. Just different. These reds will be firmer than the blacks and about the same firmness as the e5. I like the launch of the e5 a little more and both have a similar urethane cover.

I play NXTs and the WalMart are old balls because the packaging (minus the Walmart under the flap) is the same as a few sleeves of older NXTs I bought at Nevada Bob's earlier this year right after the new NXTs came out. I bought several boxes and they play the same.

Neither are better or worse really. Just different. These reds will be firmer than the blacks and about the same firmness as the e5. I like the launch of the e5 a little more and both have a similar urethane cover.

Thanks. I will pick up a sleeve of blacks at the course tomarrow and compare to the e5's I have. Taylormade and WallyWorld can keep their reds just on principal now. The whole thing smells. Repackaging old model balls and selling through WalMart. They should've just left averything alone and they would've had a 3, 4, and 5 piece urethane ball. Something for everyone!

Do you not like the Pentas? It seems that a lot of golf shops (including online ones) are selling the Pentas in a buy-2-get-1-free deal. So that's 3 dozen for $80, or ~$27/doz.

Not sure I have the swingspeed for the Pentas. I know I should get fitted. Maybe next week.

Back