Yonex EZONE Hybrid - Forum Testing Review

Good write ups guys. Usually directional misses can be adjusted with the swing. I swear the more hybrids I hit the more I learn each has its own quirks. Irons pretty much do the same thing for me with my swing....but hybrids seem to have their own characteristics. Usually it's one simple fix that does it. When I get left with hybrids (happens to me a lot) it's my quick release that seem to be the culprit. If I stay with the shot and hold on to the release a little longer....almost over exaggerate the bottom part of the swing...things straighten out. Just me and may not be you guys at all, throwing it out there. Keep it coming, enjoying this thread.

Installment #2 'out of the rough'

I took my new toy to the range again and settled on the far end near the tree line. BTW the mosquitos where out in full force. I gave blood for this review. If I pass from an airborne disease I leave the club to.....
Anyway my idea was to play every shot from the rough to see how it responded. There was no fluffing of the lie I just hit from where it sat.
So I warmed up, produced a ton of sweat and then moved into the EZONE. The absence of rails on the bottom of the club worried me. The bottom of the club is fairly flat,
87124e2b.jpg
unlike my current hybrid.
2a88d509.jpg

The first couple of swings produced low bullets. No complaints, just adjusted my angle of attack. The next 5 came out hot, I mean hot like flyer lie hot. I was shocked.
Between shots I really took a close look at the face of the club.
e72e9100.jpg
[/IMG] It's more like and iron face than a hybrid or the hybrid I am used too. I say this because of the lack of curvature.
29b0728f.jpg
This combined with the shortness of the club really made it easy to get the ball out of the rough. Mind you this was not US OPEN rough, but rough non the less. I stepped on a couple and attempted to hit a quality shot, no luck! It's a good club but it ain't magic ;-). I hit a dozen more with the EZONE and enjoyed about half of them, the other half I was hitting off the toe (don't ask, really trying to work on releasing the hips and getting out in front) All in all I am pleased with the performance of the Yonex Hybrid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice Tadashi, I cant wait to get to play Friday sat & sun. Going to give that baby a workout. Mashie has been removed. I will only be playing Yonex good or bad it's a full scale attack . Keep up the good reviewing pal.. Loving the stuff coming in from everyone..

Great reviews guys. I am trying to join the hybrid band wagon, but I just haven't been able to hit them well, yet. Still looking for one or two that work for me.

Got the EZONE out for league play tonight. I hit a total of 5 shots with it, 2 from the tee, 2 from the rough, and sadly only 1 from the fairway. From the tee this club feels great. I had no hook issues like I was facing in my last range session. I had my usual slight fade with a high ball flight. The tee shots felt like rockets off the clubface. I teed the ball up slightly higher than I would for an iron and swept it like a fairway wood.

From the rough the club was great. It was fairly thick and the EZONE got the ball airborne with ease. Distance loss from the rough was minimal if anything at all. For my fairway shot I had about 245 yards into the green. I hit a high ball that faded slightly and hit the front of the green. Unfortunately it didn't hold. I thought for sure it was going to land softly, but a combination of a 19* club and hard greens that weren't very receptive led to a missed green. I was happy with the distance and ballflight though, and I will use the EZONE on a few different courses to really see how softly it will land on greens.

I was surprised not to have any hook issues tonight. I don't know if it was mental or a setup problem during my first range session, but my nice fade has returned and I couldn't be happier. To answer JB's question on ball position, I played it a ball ahead of center on tee shots and center on all others. Next up: range time a little later in the week.

Thats awesome jt2929 . Glad to read that..Keep it coming...

Jt glad to hear you got away from that hook shot ( only good in the nBA) sounds like you are getting the same explosiveness off the face. The club just feels great!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK THPers. I received my Yonex EZONE Hybrid, 19 degree stiff in the mail this past weekend. Since receiving it I have hit about 50 balls with it at the range and played 36 holes with it in the bag. My initial thoughts are below the pics.

IMG_0854.jpg

IMG_0855.jpg

IMG_0859.jpg

IMG_0856.jpg

IMG_0857.jpg

IMG_0858.jpg

Background information: I firmly believe that in order for a review to be effective, readers must be given candid information so that you may know how my experience with the club could be biased, specific to my swing, etc etc. I have had a hybrid in the bag for about 6+ years. For a significant portion of that time I have played Adams hybrids. With hybrids, I prefer a mid to high ball flight and a club that is versatile in various situations.

Looks: A- I really like the looks of this club. The head is compact enough to appear that it can be used in various situations, yet big enough to make you feel you have the freedom (and corresponding forgiveness) to put some umpff behind it on a par 5. The head has an appearance to it that makes me feel it will perform best off the tee and in the fairway (see below for actual performance). I like the red shaft and how it pops with color. While I like the top part of the head cover, I am not a big fan of the sleeve section (hence the A-). I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about the silver section extending onto the crown, but after playing with it, I grew to like it and, actually, think it may encourage good swing characteristics.

Feel in Hand. B+ The club feels fairly light in hand, yet the shaft feels stable enough to provide some confidence at setup. The grip is fairly standard rubber grip, which is a personal thing, but not my favorite. The club is a bit shorter than I am used to and, due to the lightness, encourages me to be a tad late in my release. This was simply something that I needed to get used to through the first range session. After about 20 balls I got the hang of it, but I was still thinking about it when I was at setup. I have a feeling that when I update this in future sessions, I will be more than comfortable with the shorter shaft and lightness.

Sound. A+. I love the sound of this club. You know it when you connect, and it is beautiful.

Feel at Impact: A Same as above. Feels great when you hit it in the center of the club face.

Performance on Tee: A+. On the course I used this off the tee on 4 holes and hit several shots on the tee at the range. I loved its performance on the tee. Nice mid to high ball flight (and could hit stinger if wanted). Great distance and was going pretty much where I wanted it. It was very predictable and that is exactly what I want on the tee.

Performance on Fairway: A. Thought it performed well on the short grass. I took two approaches with my swing from the fairway: 1) iron swing and 2) FW swing. The fairway wood swing saw good and predictable results. The shot shape was desirable, but I couldn't get the ball quite as high as I would typically like. The iron type swing provided a much higher ball flight for me, but due to the steeper swing and bit less release, I had a slight fade with this swing. Not necessarily a bad thing, because it was getting great distance and holding the green.

Performance in Rough. B. On the first cut it performed similar to the fairway performance above. In the thick rough I got best results when the ball was laying in the middle of the grass (neither laying on top or imbedded in the rough). In those situations I was able to easily hack it out with good ball flight and distance. If the ball was low in the grass, I had much difficulty getting the ball to carry far, but I got significant roll out. If sitting high on the grass, I was hitting quite high on the face and not getting as much distance. This may be due more to me being unfamiliar with the club at this point.

Specialty shots: A+. I used this from a weird spot about 20 feet of the green on very short cut grass leading up to the green. I used it for a "hybrid chip" and rolled it to about 4 feet from the pin. I tried it again and rolled it to about 5 feet from the pin. I also tried the same shot with a putter, wedge and 7 iron. The hybrid definitely got me the closest to the pin.

Third party interest: A-. At the range and course, numerous people asked me about the club. Some wanted to know more about Yonex. Others specifically mentioned Monty, Ryo, etc. Was pretty fun and interesting to hear people's thoughts on the company.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great writeup interlooper. Love the attention to all the different categories.

Thanks for the updates, testers. Nice to hear that it performs well out of the rough. That's probably where I hit hybrids the most.

Enjoyed getting caught up on all of the thoughts from the testers now that they all have them in hand. Sure is a great looking shaft, I love the fact that it is red and doesn't look distracting when standing over it.

Maybe it was mentioned, but what does the "U" in 3U stand for?

Looking forward to the long term testing on this and if it will find a permanent place in your bag or not.

Thanks for the updates, testers. Nice to hear that it performs well out of the rough. That's probably where I hit hybrids the most.
Biggest difference between an iron and corresponding hybrid for me is out of the rough as well Hawk.

"U" for Utility biggsy

I really really loved this hybrid at the Outing. It would replace at least one Mashie for me at least....prob the M3

Enjoyed getting caught up on all of the thoughts from the testers now that they all have them in hand. Sure is a great looking shaft, I love the fact that it is red and doesn't look distracting when standing over it.

Maybe it was mentioned, but what does the "U" in 3U stand for?

Looking forward to the long term testing on this and if it will find a permanent place in your bag or not.

Biggest difference between an iron and corresponding hybrid for me is out of the rough as well Hawk.

thanks for the feedback interlooper... nice write up. nice the best with the hybrid but working on improving

"U" for Utility biggsy

I really really loved this hybrid at the Outing. It would replace at least one Mashie for me at least....prob the M3
Thanks Hanks.

The size difference between the Yonex and the Mashie is considerable in the photo below put up by jefrazie. The Yonex looks closer to a fairway metal in that photo. I know it's just the angle because it didn't look that big in person and some of the address shots it looks normal.

wXXdT.jpg

I like your style Interlooper, great review!

Thanks Hanks.

The size difference between the Yonex and the Mashie is considerable in the photo below put up by jefrazie. The Yonex looks closer to a fairway metal in that photo. I know it's just the angle because it didn't look that big in person and some of the address shots it looks normal.

wXXdT.jpg

It did feel a bit bigger to me as well. But that should give me confidence. I love hitting my 3W from the fairway. I can't wait to hit this thing again this afternoon!

I'm the opposite I guess. I felt the EZONE is the perfect size. Smaller than a fairway wood but big enough that I feel confident at address. I think it is the same size as my Nike Sumo hybrid, but I don't have it anymore so I can't compare side by side.

I'm the opposite I guess. I felt the EZONE is the perfect size. Smaller than a fairway wood but big enough that I feel confident at address. I think it is the same size as my Nike Sumo hybrid, but I don't have it anymore so I can't compare side by side.

You are in luck! I have one, I'll upload a pic later tonight comparing the two.

I'm with you, I feel the size of the club is perfect. It sits a little flatter than my previous hybrids but the overall mass is not that much different. The club is very solid...

Man this club wants to be my dirty little secret. And I love the headcover.

Me too OEM. I'm loving the reviews, especially how it'sperforming out of the rough. I'm spoiled with the Mashie and I think this one day could take a spot down the road for a lot of people.

When it comes to new equipment I was under the understanding that you have no dirty little secrets. Just buy it! Though you may need to keep it a secret from your sponsor.

Me too OEM. I'm loving the reviews, especially how it'sperforming out of the rough. I'm spoiled with the Mashie and I think this one day could take a spot down the road for a lot of people.

When it comes to new equipment I was under the understanding that you have no dirty little secrets. Just buy it! Though you may need to keep it a secret from your sponsor.

Shhhhhh. lol

Back