Yonex EZONE Hybrid - Forum Testing Review

I said I was going to try and stop at the range on the way home. Well, unfortunately I'm dead tired after working 12 hours today. So I won't be able to stop tonight, sorry. I will definitely hit it some more tomorrow and get some more info up. Sorry again.

Dude, always with the excuses...drag your tried arse out to the range and get some work done ;-) just kidding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dude, always with the excuses...drag your tried arse out to the range and get some work done ;-) just kidding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:rofl: Too funny. Okay, I'm hitting the range at lunch time and playing after I get off of work. So I will definitely get some work done with the Yonex. I'm gonna try and see what types of shots I pull off with it. and how the ball reacts.

On a side note... The shaft looks pretty amazing in the Red! As well as the red hozzle on it. They sure put some thought into the way this club looks! And starting to think they put a lot into the way it plays too... But more on that later.

The more I swing the EZONE the more I like it. I got in an early morning round today at North Shore Golf Club after I dropped off my little ones. Course is great condition with about a 10 - 15 mph breeze.

I warmed up with a few swings on the first tee and away I went. The plan was to tee off on ever hole and see exactly what this bad boy could do. I put the peg in the ground on the 293 yard forst hole with a large waste bunker fronting the left portion of the green. Typically I hit driver over the trap and try to green it. Today since I was swinging the EZONE I aimed down the right side and hit a beuatiful hit draw that left me about 35 yrd to the green. I would say I got about 15 - 20 yards of roll on this tee ball. Swing felt great so I put another in the ground and aimed at the green. I wanted to see if I could carry the bunker...NOPE..landed in it but the ball flight was the same as the first, a high draw (loving it)
#2 is a 350 yard par for with hazard left and and OB right. The fairway is generous but the tee box lines me up weird. I topped the EZONE on my first ball but stuck another in the ground and hit a limp fly ball to right that hit a tree and kicked into the the fairway 160 out. (Bad Swings)
#3 is long Par 4 454 with water right and a generous fairway left of the water. I hit another high draw that finshed 235 yards out on the right side of the fairway. Felt I missed it so another one in the ground and this time I really tried to hit a low bullet down the middle moving left. Off the toe was what I got and it limped out there but got plenty of roll 210 out. I used the EZONE on my first ball for my second shot. I hit a low pull that finshed through the back of the green. ( very happy with the performance of this club (new name is DRAGON, cuz of the color and how it spits fire off the club face)
#4 is a 424 yard striaght away par for with a fairway bunker 160 out from the green. I hit a high right shot that never moved one way or the other. I was left with 183 into the hole. My second ball I hit an over the top high hook about the same distance out but on the far left hand side of the fairwar,actually 3 feet into the rough.
#5 is a short par 4 363 in length. There is a fairway bunker in the middle of the fairway about 200 to carry off the tee. I blazed a mid level draw into the breeze that carried the trap with ease and finished 115 from the green,
#6 235 par 3 into the breeze. Pin was right middle and par is always a good score on this hole. Tried to play a draw that hung out but finshed pin high in the rough. Tried to make a better pass at my second and ended up in the same spot 3 yard longer and 5 yards closer than the first but still in the rough to the right of the green.
This was the last time I hit the club off the tee, I was playing pretty well an wanted to give some love to the driver. I did hit Dragon for second shots into the par 5 and it is performing better than my previuos hybrid. The ball flights are all so tight. even the miss hits don't have a ton of movement. I lose some yardage when I try to play a cut but not too much. This is going to be one of my favorite clubs next to the big stick. It's performance is making want to demo the driver. If the technolgy used in the Hybrid carries over to the driver then Yonex really is one to something.
As I stayed earlier, I have been swinging my other hybrids for many years and never looked at another. I think this may be the only hybrid in the bag. he confidence I have with is carrying over to long irons. I roasted a couple of 4irons today and will not be needing my 22* hybrid, at least for the forseeable future.
I did play a little bump chip on the back of the 3rd hole. Ball stayed low and rolled out like a putt. I also played it out of wet lie on the 7th and hit a 3' high bullet that scampered down the fairway. Not what I was looking for but it worked out in the end.

I went to the range at lunch. Got a 50 ball bucket. And away I went. I started out using my 4 iron to warm up and check my distance again. Since I wasn't at the range at my home course but one up the street from my work.

I hit about 10 balls with it. My 4 iron went about 185 yards out. The flag markers were at 165 then to 200. I was hitting it 3/4 of the way between the two. As an iron usually does I had a real nice flight with a slight fade. Not sure if it was because of the crosswind I had. Now that I was warmed up and checked the distance on my 4 iron for comparison it was time to pull out the Yonex. First swing was just as Wednesday before league, flew about 185-190 out. With a really nice high flight path. However it did fade a little. But it was the same fade as my 4 iron, that's why I think it was the wind causing it.

I hit about 10 more balls off the ground. All pretty much the same 185-190 (including roll) out with high flight and little fade (still think it was the wind). Didn't top any of them today. After the first 10 balls with the Yonex off the ground, I grabbed a tee. I want to try this in different situations. The first one I hit off a tee was just beautiful! It flew a little higher than off the ground had more carry and didn't roll out very far. I hit about 7-8 more of the tee, all having the same flight and path a little right of my target (cause of the wind fade). So this is when I decided to try and draw and fade the club on purpose. I have never done this with any of my clubs at all but with the video that was posted I figured I would try the way the video explained it. Well, on the first swing I was trying to draw it, and topped it. Go figured, so I tried it again. So I stood a little closer and tried again. This resulted in a really low flight and sort of faded/sliced on me. But it still had really good distance after the roll out. I tried this a few more times was able to get the ball up in the air, but I didn't get it to draw. That's not the club, that's me. I've never tried it and thought I would so not blaming the club. Then I proceeded to try and draw the ball per the video. This I didn't really have a problem with after the first few swings, but like I said there was a crosswind coming from the left, so I'm not sure. After about 10 of those swings, I went back to hitting off the ground for the remainder of my bucket. Back to the way it was, NICE HIGH FLIGHT about 185 out with a little draw (still wind caused in my opinion). I did hit a few of them fat a few times but all still went pretty straight and about 160 out. I did take a picture before and after cleaning the club. But the picture of the club before cleaning, my stupid phone didn't save (operator error). So I have one of it after cleaning it. Remember this is from 20 balls before league weds and 40 balls today at the range with different shots including draws and fades which I never tried with any club before.

yonex10.jpg
[/IMG]

If you notice that most of my shots are in the middle of the face. The ones towards the tow a little came from me hitting the fade/draw shots I think. I wish I would have the picture of the face before cleaning it today, all my grass spots were below the 1st groove mark from the top and most of it was above the 1st grove from the bottom. This club seems really easy to find the sweet spot. For me at least anyways. This range didn't really have a place to bump and run some shots. So tonight when I play I will try some at the range at the putting green on my home course, it's wide open and has a few trees next to it just for that purpose.

More to come for sure!

YONEX, SO FAR IN MY OPINION, YOU HAVE A VERY GOOD PRODUCT! We will see if my opinion stays that way in the long run... I have a feeling it will.

**** The Nanopreme shaft on this club is very tuff! No whipping at all and just powers thru the ball...

Last edited:
Nice write up Bullfrog!

I went to the range at lunch. Got a 50 ball bucket. And away I went. I started out using my 4 iron to warm up and check my distance again. Since I wasn't at the range at my home course but one up the street from my work.

I hit about 10 balls with it. My 4 iron went about 185 yards out. The flag markers were at 165 then to 200. I was hitting it 3/4 of the way between the two. As an iron usually does I had a real nice flight with a slight fade. Not sure if it was because of the crosswind I had. Now that I was warmed up and checked the distance on my 4 iron for comparison it was time to pull out the Yonex. First swing was just as Wednesday before league, flew about 185-190 out. With a really nice high flight path. However it did fade a little. But it was the same fade as my 4 iron, that's why I think it was the wind causing it.

I hit about 10 more balls off the ground. All pretty much the same 185-190 (including roll) out with high flight and little fade (still think it was the wind). Didn't top any of them today. After the first 10 balls with the Yonex off the ground, I grabbed a tee. I want to try this in different situations. The first one I hit off a tee was just beautiful! It flew a little higher than off the ground had more carry and didn't roll out very far. I hit about 7-8 more of the tee, all having the same flight and path a little right of my target (cause of the wind fade). So this is when I decided to try and draw and fade the club on purpose. I have never done this with any of my clubs at all but with the video that was posted I figured I would try the way the video explained it. Well, on the first swing I was trying to draw it, and topped it. Go figured, so I tried it again. So I stood a little closer and tried again. This resulted in a really low flight and sort of faded/sliced on me. But it still had really good distance after the roll out. I tried this a few more times was able to get the ball up in the air, but I didn't get it to draw. That's not the club, that's me. I've never tried it and thought I would so not blaming the club. Then I proceeded to try and draw the ball per the video. This I didn't really have a problem with after the first few swings, but like I said there was a crosswind coming from the left, so I'm not sure. After about 10 of those swings, I went back to hitting off the ground for the remainder of my bucket. Back to the way it was, NICE HIGH FLIGHT about 185 out with a little draw (still wind caused in my opinion). I did hit a few of them fat a few times but all still went pretty straight and about 160 out. I did take a picture before and after cleaning the club. But the picture of the club before cleaning, my stupid phone didn't save (operator error). So I have one of it after cleaning it. Remember this is from 20 balls before league weds and 40 balls today at the range with different shots including draws and fades which I never tried with any club before.

yonex10.jpg
[/IMG]

If you notice that most of my shots are in the middle of the face. The ones towards the tow a little came from me hitting the fade/draw shots I think. I wish I would have the picture of the face before cleaning it today, all my grass spots were below the 1st groove mark from the top and most of it was above the 1st grove from the bottom. This club seems really easy to find the sweet spot. For me at least anyways. This range didn't really have a place to bump and run some shots. So tonight when I play I will try some at the range at the putting green on my home course, it's wide open and has a few trees next to it just for that purpose.

More to come for sure!

YONEX, SO FAR IN MY OPINION, YOU HAVE A VERY GOOD PRODUCT! We will see if my opinion stays that way in the long run... I have a feeling it will.

**** The Nanopreme shaft on this club is very tuff! No whipping at all and just powers thru the ball...

Great review. I'm looking forward to hitting this club again as well after my recent success on Wednesday.

Great write Bullfrog and Tadashi... That nick name made me laugh. Great job buddy!

UPDATE # 2

OK folks. This is my second update. Since the last update, I have played an additional 9 holes (cumulative: 45 holes) with the hybrid in the bag and another 2 range sessions of approximately 25 balls each (cumulative: 100 balls). I wanted to get this update in now because I will be traveling for work next week and will be out of pocket. This update will include any revisions in my previous "club grading," as well as the previous grade so you can see the progression. Generally speaking, I am becoming much more accustomed and comfortable with the club... and such comfort, as expected, leads to better performance!

Looks: A- (Previous Grade: A-) I still really enjoy the looks of this club. It appears to be holding up well to the usage thus far. While I like the top half of the head cover, I still do not like the neck section of the head cover. The bright red shaft is something that I have not had in a shaft before and, admittedly, I LOVE it! I also like the silver portion that extends onto the crown. Immediately my eye goes to the correct portion of the ball at address because it is now framed by the club face.

Feel in Hand/at Address. A- (Previous grade: B+) The club still feels fairly light in hand, but, as mentioned earlier, the shaft feels quite stable at setup. I upgraded the score here because of the increased confidence I feel when I address the ball with this club. As you know, confidence is often built upon performance. As you will see below, it has performed well for me... and, thus, my "feel" with the club at address has increased. I am still not the biggest fan of the grip, but I am getting accustomed to it. I am still very conscious of the club feeling a bit shorter at address than I am used to, but it doesn't seem to impact much. Again, I cannot iterate enough how confident I feel with this club at address.

Sound. A+ (Previous grade: A+). The sound is awesome. Not much else to say.

Feel at Impact: A (Previous grade: A). I really enjoy the feel at the moment of impact.

Performance on Tee: A+ (Previous grade: A+). I love its performance on the tee. I am getting great distance with this hybrid, and the ball flight is nice and high (just the way I like it). The shots are fairly predictable and the misses seem to be fairly minor. On the 9-hole course, I hit it off the tee on 3 holes. Each time I hit the fairway with the shot shape I was looking for. I pulled one of the shots, but it still ended up on the left side of the fairway (and a few additional yards tacked on).

Performance on Fairway: A. (Previous grade: A) I hit about 20 balls with this club at the range from the short grass. I am still getting great performance from the fairway. I am more accurate from the short grass when I use the "fairway wood swing." Though the ball flight is much lower than off the tee, I am still getting great distance.

Performance in Rough. B- (Previous grade: B) I spent considerable time hitting this thing from the rough at the range. The grass was thick and long. Again, I am seeing pretty good results when the ball is laying towards the middle of the grass (i.e. not sitting up and not buried). When it is laying low, however, I am getting varying results. I can do a "hack-n-run" type of shot and get it to roll out considerably, but that is difficult to gauge. If I come in more shallow, the club was getting wrapped up and producing a pull-hook. When the ball was sitting up, I had difficulty hitting the center of the club face, often hitting very high shots that were not penetrating. If I did connect, I would hit it incredibly far. The difference in distance was up to 50-60 yards. Again, I fully understand that much of the performance from these areas are a result of my play, so I fully expect that this grade will improve as I become more acquainted with the club.

Specialty shots: A- (Previous grade: A+). This category will likely be the most fluid and ever changing, depending on the type of specialty shot attempted. After I hit more specialty shots, there will be more of an average grade for them all. This time I tried shots from a fairway bunker. Generally, I was pleasantly surprised with the results. I learned quite quickly that I didn't want to come into too steeply or too shallow. After those few test shots, I got the hang of the type of swing and the results were pretty good. Good distance with about the same height that I was getting from the fairway. Almost all shots from the bunker produced a slight fade, but predictable in nature. It is nice to know that I can use it from a fairway bunker if needed or, as mentioned last update, for a "hybrid chip".

Third party interest: A (Previous grade: A-). I am amazed about how many people ask me about this club at the range. It might be the red shaft or the head cover that reads "Yonex". Because of the additional interest these last few sessions, I bumped up the grade a bit.

More to come...

Nice write up interlooper. I too am really enjoying this club. I am extremely greatful to have the opportunity to test this!! Thanks again Yonex and THP!!!

I went and played after work like I said I wanted to do. I started on the back 9. Didn't have a chance to hit the Yonex on the back until I got to 15. I really didn't have a chance there, but when I got to about 185 out, I stopped the cart. Dropped a ball just to hit the Yonex on the course. I took a nice swing on the ball and hit it about 10 yrds in front of the green. There is a valley about 4ft deep in front of the green and I was half way up the the upslope going back up to the green. I was only about 3 yards off the green total after bounce. If there wasn't a valley there, I would have been on. Not sure how close i would have rolled, but it would have been enough club!

The second chance I got to hit it was on a par 5 hole #4. I sort of skied my tee shot so i was about 80 yds shorter than normal. about 175 yrds ahead the fairway takes a dogleg right. Just after the dogleg there are 3 sand pits in a row in front of the green with fairway to the left of the bunkers. The fairway is probably 35 yds wide from side of sand to the rough. I tell the guy I'm playing with about how I'm going to try and put this just past the first sand pit in the fairway. Which left me 72 yards to the pin. I hit a beautiful shot! Went exactly where I wanted it to go. :egyptian: The guy says "You just hit that perfect about 190 yds." And I just laughed and shook my head. That's when I proceeded to tell him about THP. And how the people here are amazing. That there are reviews on any type of golf equipment you can think of written by the average golfer like you and I. He hadn't heard of THP. Then I told him that I was chosen to test the club. And he couldn't believe it. His name is Ed and he said he would definitely check out the site.:clapp: I did let him try to hit it. He thought he could hit it 200 yds like his 5 iron so he tried from a ladies tee box trying to hit a green on a par 4. He topped the heck out of it that it burnt thru the grass only about 15 yds. We both laughed.

I did try a punch shot out from under a tree with the Yonex. It didn't turn out well the first time. The ball popped straight up into the tree and came back back down under the next tree ahead of me. But that was "Swinger" error. I forgot to turn the face in a little. The second time under the next tree, I turned the face in a little and hit it out of the trees ball stayed on the ground did sort of a worm burner just out of the trees into the fairway.

Today I played 9 before work. Didn't have the opportunity to hit the Yonex from far out. But I did drop another ball about 40 yds out to try a bump and run shot like I was asked. And it worked out really well! The ball got about 2ft off the ground flew in the air about 10 yds and rolled on the green to 8 ft short right of the pin. It had like a 25ft roll out. VERY NICE!!:twist:

That red shaft is just awesome to look down! And the way the face wraps up over the crown just gives me confidence.

MORE TESTING TO BE CONTINUED

I can't express into words the gratitude that I have for :thp: and
YonexLogo.jpg
for giving me the opportunity to supply my feedback on this club!! THANKS AGAIN!!:thankyou:

I said I was going to try and stop at the range on the way home. Well, unfortunately I'm dead tired after working 12 hours today. So I won't be able to stop tonight, sorry. I will definitely hit it some more tomorrow and get some more info up. Sorry again.

Long term review man. Don't sweat it

Sent from my Epic 4g using Tapatalk.

Sent from my Epic 4g using Tapatalk.

Well today was my first round with My Yonex 3 Hybrid. I have to write that I absolutely love it. I averaged well over 200 yards with it. It was so easy to hit. I had a very small draw on my hits.. I have to admit I was scared that I was going to hook this bad boy like some of the other reviewers but it wasn't the case at all. I think this will be replacing my 3W in my bag. It is so easy to hit, I hit out the rough on the fairway used it to chip. I tried to use it on any kind of situation that i would use my regular Hybrid & my 3W. In a few hours I will be taken it out for a second round. I cant wait to play it again. I'm going to hit it off The Tee Box. I feel confident after using it today that I will be able to hit this nicely and control it. So far no troubles what so ever .Hope I didn't jinx myself.....

Thank you THP and Yonex for this wonderful Opportunity to test this Hybrid

Wcueb,

Glad to see how well the yonex is working for you! Keep hitting it long and straight

Tap tap taparoo

Wow I've heard so much great stuff about this club and not just on this forum, I really want to find somewhere wheee I can demo this! Great reviews everybody and props to Yonex!

I played in a scramble yesterday and didn't do very well. But I did get to hit the Yonex once in the heat of the battle. It was on hole 17 par 3. It was 187 out with a slight wind in our face, I took out the Yonex. Took a nice smooth swing dead at the pin. Then it started to fade on me a little bit, put the ball about 3ft past the pin 8ft to the right. We used my shot and made the putt for bird. Still liking this club. I will try and get to the range tonight for another practice session with it. I work 12 hrs today, so hopefully I won't be too tired.

I was able to get the EZONE on some softer greens yesterday. Being a 19* club, I wasn't expecting much in the way of holding greens, but I was pleasantly surprised. The first green I hit into was from about 235 yards out. The ball went high off the club and landed with about 15 feet of rollout. The next was from 240 yards, landed about 10 feet short of the pin and rolled about 3 feet past. I know that if I were using my Sumo hybrid those balls would have been off the green or at the back. I did try a few bump and run type shots on the practice green as well. I choked way up, about to the shaft, and took a putting stroke. The ball stays low and is very easy to control the amount of roll-out that is desired with the length of your stroke. I'm really starting to fall in love with this club, and am still in love with the headcover.

Another update on the EZONE:

Played 18 this weekend and used it 4 times.

Hole 2:
Tee off with hybrid. Hit a wonderful straight ball roughly 220 yards right down the middle of the fairway. Couldn't have asked for a prettier shot. Still have ~200 left to the hole all over a hazard. I play the hybrid again but hit it a bit fat, and drop it in the hazard.

Hole 6:
Long 576 yard par 5, pulled my drive left a little bit into the 2nd cut rough. Used the Yonex for the second shot. The ball was buried just a little bit in the rough. Took a whack at it and it came out low and hooking. Luckily, I had aimed right since I was worried about this so the shot ended up in the fairway. Upon further investigation, I noticed that I had hit the ball off the heel of the face.

Hole 9:
534 yard par 5. Bomb my first drive, left with ~215 to the hole. Water on the left all the way to the hole. I pull the Yonex and hook it badly into the water.

Hole 15:
515 yard par 5. Push my drive a bit right off the tee and into the trees with 250 left to the hole. I have an opening but I have to keep it low. Hit a half swing on the Yonex and hit a wonderful low screamer that ends up ~70 yards from the hole.

So to sum the day up, it was very hit or miss. I hit a couple good shots with the hybrid, and also a couple awful ones. Let me know if anyone has any questions.

Also, I know this is late but here is the pic comparing the Ezone, Mashie and Sasquatch hybrids:

ZhTcP.jpg

Mashie is small.

The Mashie is pretty small and looks as if the Sumo is a bit bigger than the Yonex. How do the weights of them compare?

The Mashie is pretty small and looks as if the Sumo is a bit bigger than the Yonex. How do the weights of them compare?

This is counter what a few others have said, but I felt like The Yonex was heaviest, followed by Sumo with the Mashie being lightest. Another note: the sumo and the Ezone have very similar sounds and feel. Very metallic sound and feel. Mashie is a bit "clicky" and I feel like I compress the ball a bit better.

In that pic the Sumo looks huge. I remember it being a lot smaller looking, about the same size as the EZONE. I would place the Sumo as the heaviest out of those three though. A agree on the sound and feel, very metallic sounding like a fairway wood.

Well day 2 was a success. I have to write the ease of hitting this hybrid is absolutely fantastic. The only problem I'm having is distance control haha I hit to far for myself .. Isn't that a great problem to have. I actually decided to hit it on a hole that I hook every time because of the hard dog right,and mental issues it brings me. Well anyway lets say it is the first time in 12 weeks that I landed in the middle of the fairway 110 yards out. Incredible. I'm starting to learn a little about controlling the hybrid. I left my 3W in the bag it never came out during my last round. I will be playing tomorrow and will report back . My post will have more detailed information as I learn from it, Because this Hybrid is teaching me......

Got to use this club twice during my league last night. The first shot was from 250 yards out on a par 5. The course was very dry and hard, so I elected to hit the EZONE over a 3/4 3w because I figured the ball would roll out quite a bit. I put a nice, easy swing on the ball and it just shot off the face. It hit in front of the green and rolled/bounced a good 20 yards, leaving me 15-20 feet for eagle.

The second shot was 235 yards out, so I choked down about an inch on the club. Again, with a nice, easy swing the ball was a rocket. The ball hit the front of the green in the air and took one big bounce over it. I am certain this was because the greens were very hard because my wedges wouldn't hold on full shots. The performance of the EZONE is really great. I think the shaft is probably the best I have ever played in a hybrid. It is nice and stiff with no whippy feeling. I would put this club up against the Mashie any day.

The one thing that really hurts this club is the price. At $249.99, you can add another $50 and get 2 Mashies for the price of 1 Yonex.

Back