Trying to Break 80 Club

Nice work, SMG! I guess I need to join this club. My current lowest score is 84.

Way to go smg!!!!

After doing it once I have now gone back to back to back!!! Shot a 76 today!!! Everything seems to have clicked. It wasn't even on the course I usually play. This is the second time I have played this course and the first time was a month ago. That time I shot well over 100 and didn't have enough balls to finish my round since I hit 3 in the woods on #16 tee! I only hit driver 5 times all day (usually hit 4 iron off the tee) and it payed off big time. I hit 9/14 fairways, driving it through 2 of them! With 3 holes left I told my gf that if I went +1 over the next 3 I would shoot a 79. I was very excited about that! She told me that I just jinxed myself and was hounding me for counting my score since it would be in my head now. I proceed to finish par, birdie, birdie! I missed a hole-in-one by 2 feet on 18. It was a great way to close out the round.

In the last 2 weeks my HCP has gone from a 10.7 to an 8.6 after today!

I did it! I finally broke 80 with a 79! I shot 39/40 and man I tried to blow it on the last hole. I hadn't missed a fairway all day thanks to my heavy driver and I get on the last hole knowing I can bogey and still break 80. I'm thinking to myself just hit it up the gut but forgot about ball position and hit it dead off the toe sending it into the #1 fairway! I had 220 over the trees to the green so I pull out my hybrid and stick it just before the bunker to the green.

I approach the ball and have to carry the bunker with the pin tucked close behind it, so naturally I thinned it sending it off the back of the green! I'm now chipping my 4th shot on the par 4 saying to myself just get it close for a easy bogey putt. I hit the chip, distance is perfect but alignment is off now leaving me with a 10' putt for 79. I'm now standing over the putt beating myself up under my breath, cursing myself for choking again and then I back away. I turn to my uncle and say I'm sinking this damned putt! I'm tired of being stuck on 80! I get back over the putt, go through my routine and let it go still staring at where the ball had just been waiting for that unmistakeable sound, and there it was!

It is like a weight has been lifted! I can't tell you how many times I have messed it up and tried to again today. I can now proudly say I have shot in the 70's!

A couple days late to the party, but way to go SMG guy!!

And now awesome Degoins!!! What a great accomplishment for you guys!

I am back under 80 with today's 78. Had pretty low expectations after an opening 41 but I brought it around nicely.

I just realised after marking my ball for keeping what today's date is. I shot my "79" on 7-9 2011. I thought that was pretty cool!

I just realised after marking my ball for keeping what today's date is. I shot my "79" on 7-9 2011. I thought that was pretty cool!

Attaboy Degoins! Great stuff there for sure!

I've gone 80, 80, 83, 81, 81 the last five and its all been collapse on my last 6 holes...so close its becoming quite frustrating...and I KNOW that isn't helping things for me.

Attaboy Degoins! Great stuff there for sure!

I've gone 80, 80, 83, 81, 81 the last five and its all been collapse on my last 6 holes...so close its becoming quite frustrating...and I KNOW that isn't helping things for me.

What area(s) is your collapse in on the last 6? Off the tee, around the green, or in between? I found that leaving the big stick in the bag is helping me consistently shoot in the 70's now, esp on the closing holes.

Shot a 42/38, 80 today...4th round in a row to shoot 80.

Had a 12 footer for birdie on 18 that I didn't capitalize on. 3rd hole was a par 3 that I doubled, and right after that I knew it would be tough.

Had 35 putts today, with two 3 putts. Was getting on the green easily, but leaving myself 25-30feet from the hole for a 2 putt on just about every hole.

Frustrating to play so well but not able to drop the putts.

On the brighter side, this time last year I was stuck shooting in the 90s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a 12 footer for birdie on 18 that I didn't capitalize on. 3rd hole was a par 3 that I doubled, and right after that I knew it would be tough.

Had 35 putts today, with two 3 putts. Was getting on the green easily, but leaving myself 25-30feet from the hole for a 2 putt on just about every hole.

Oh man, must be really tough.. I'm sure that you'll break 80 soon enough

Tappin' for world peace!

Nice to see that Karma has a sense of irony.

Congratulations, Degoins!

Great job!

What area(s) is your collapse in on the last 6? Off the tee, around the green, or in between? I found that leaving the big stick in the bag is helping me consistently shoot in the 70's now, esp on the closing holes.

Thats the thing, there's really no DEFINITE collapse in one phase. Everything just kinds of wanes a bit in certain spots. I really think its a confidence issue in closing that I'm going to have to find a way to get over.

Hang in there dude, it's gonna happen!

Your story reminds me of one season where I shot 82 for five weeks in a row. It got to the point where when my buddy would call me with the next tee-time, I'd say to him that maybe I should just pencil in an 82 and stay home to cut the grass instead. That changed for me on the sixth week and it will for you as well.

Hang in there! It's just the Golf God's way of seeing how badly you want it.

Thats the thing, there's really no DEFINITE collapse in one phase. Everything just kinds of wanes a bit in certain spots. I really think its a confidence issue in closing that I'm going to have to find a way to get over.

It's definitely more of a confidence thing than anything else and we've all been there before. Just as you have to train yourself to hit good golf shots, you have to train yourself to be successful too. It seems as if it should be easy but it's not as simple as it seems and you have to pay attention to it and learn to allow yourself to be as good as you really are.

That - just like anything else we learn - comes with practice and patience.

It'll happen. You just have to let it.

It's definitely more of a confidence thing than anything else and we've all been there before. Just as you have to train yourself to hit good golf shots, you have to train yourself to be successful too. It seems as if it should be easy but it's not as simple as it seems and you have to pay attention to it and learn to allow yourself to be as good as you really are.

That - just like anything else we learn - comes with practice and patience.

It'll happen. You just have to let it.

I appreciate that JWLI, thats a great post.

I know I need to finish the last 6-7 holes with the same confidence I play the first 11-12, its just fixing that mindset. I also know I need to appreciate what I've managed to do in two and a half years going from no game to where I am now.

...I also know I need to appreciate what I've managed to do in two and a half years going from no game to where I am now.

That's a great mindset, but try taking it just one step further: Don't just appreciate it - DESERVE IT! "I DESERVE to reap the rewards of all of the hard work it took to get here"

That's not conceited or arrogant, it's just the logical "next step" and there's nothing wrong with expecting a payoff.

I mean, you put the work in, so you've certainly earned it, right? :thumb:

Great round Degoins!! I shot a 77 on Friday. I feel that I'm pretty close to being a consistent 70's shooter. I just need to get my chipping and putting in line

Congrats chunky! As for my game my biggest weakness is my irons, it always has been. If I can get my iron play tweaked I would be consistently low.

My run of 3 70's came to an end yesterday. Shot 39/45 for an 84. I triples two straight par 4's on the back and that was bye bye 70's. I usually play those 2 holes at a combined 1 or 2 over. That really hurt! On the last hole - a 525 yard par 5, I hit driver off the tee and left myself 280 to the pin. I hit an 8 iron to the downhill, downwind green and the ball was never seen again. Turned an almost guaranteed birdie into a double! I would have been in the 70's for sure. Hopefully next time!

Great round Degoins!! I shot a 77 on Friday. I feel that I'm pretty close to being a consistent 70's shooter. I just need to get my chipping and putting in line

Putting is an easy fix. Just drag putt everything.

42-38 last friday for an 80. 5 straight pars and a bogey on 18 to end it. So close! I have had my last 8 rounds below 86, so I am consistently shooting in the low 80's now. Just got to tighten up the chips to 2 or 3 feet away instead of the 5 footers and work on the putting.

Revelation today in a 18 hole shortgame (30yds and in) only practice... Giving myself my usual 3-4 GIRs shot +16 (40yds and in) Any hope of every breaking 80 and I'll need to cut that score at least in half... (and then no penalty shots off the tee or with irons in hand).
Work on improving the short game and increasing those GIRs is the focus now...

I've shot 89 twice in my life... Real goal is consistently in the 80's and break 80 once in my life...

Well you know there's always those hole you can point at and say that's why I didn't break 80. I got about 9 of them. Last full 18 I played shot an 84, but it was a 47-37 so needless to say the front wasn't my friend that day. I've hit 79 once and would like to see that 7 show up more as the first number of my final total instead of the total on some holes individually.

How are you a 15 with scoring like that?
It's nice to go 10 shots lower on the back rather than the other way around!

Back