Does your performance reflect your group?

Play my normal game. But I'm sure I would make even better decisions than I do when I play by myself.

I for sure play "smarter." I may not have more skill, but I try to use better course management and stuff so I dont look like an idiot.

I always perform better when I'm going against someone good. Take bowling for example. I'm a competitive bowler, and bowl collegiately. When I do tournaments or leagues, I tend to bowl much better when the people around me are doing well. It's like I'm trying to prove I can outdo them, and more times than not, I do :smile:

With golf, it's the same. If I'm playing with people who are good, I play better. If I'm playing with people who are all over the place, I'm usually just average.

I wish I could say I play better because of it, but I think I actually play worse because every poor shot I hit is magnified. I know it shouldn't bother me, but it does. However, if it is someone I know well, it doesn't bother me at all, and I just play my normal game.

I play better.

The reason is that I want to "keep up" as much as possible as there's a sort of implied competition to do so. I always enjoy being grouped with someone who plays better than I do unless he's the type of guy who "walks on water" in which case I tend to shut him out and focus on my own game. But if he's good company, there's always something to be learned.

My ability to play up to their level is only overshadowed by my skills at getting them to play down to mine! :sarcastic:

I play my game, but I do tend to focus a bit better with better golfers.

It depends more on the person and their tempo for me. I played 9 holes with a plus handicapper two weeks ago and it was such a treat to watch someone like that play it made it hard to focus on my own game. Fast swingers throw me of too. I can't watch them or I tend to get quick and then it is all over. Other than that I play my own game and try only to beat Net Par.

I would probably play a little better. I would want to show them how good I was.

i play alot with my neighbour he isnt a serious golfer. he has a wierd swing stands funny and frankly hes shyte. i always play bad when we play together its like i go backwards maybe i need to stop playing with him but hes a good bloke and its always a laugh to see how many balls hes going to lose.

Tend to smarter with better players and worse with players that I am better than. I do have the potential to try to hard sometimes when playing with someone better than me having worse blowup holes

I do tend to play better. My brother in law is about a 2 handicap and I'm normally about 2 shots worse than him when we play, same with another buddy that's a scratch golfer(although I'm normally a few more than 2 shots worse). I normally play better overall, but still can't seem to shake that one duffed chip or sprayed drive that takes two extra shots to recover from. Guess that's why I'm a 7 and they are scratch(or almost in my BIL's case).

I usually play with people that are quite a bit better than me and it seems like I always play worse. But I can't say the opposite is true, but when my playing partners and I are usually about the same skill seems to be when I play my best golf!

I think I play the same no matter who I am with. It really doesn't phase me either way. I just play my game.

Merged with a recent similar thread.

I have played with really good and very bad players and it does not seem to make much difference, however someone who swings very fast and really kills the ball gets me out of tempo every time.

I'm a big believer in golf group momentum. When a guy or two starts hitting good shots, it feels like everyone in the group starts hitting good shots.

One thing I try to do, regardless of who i'm golfing with, good or bad, I just try to "ignore" their game and play mine. If a guy his hitting bad shots, I don't want to start thinking about that and let the possibility of bad shots creep into my head; and if someone is golfing well, I don't want to start thinking negatively about myself or how i'm playing (thinking stuff like, this person is so much better than i am, basically anything that could affect my confidence).

I believe i've mentioned before, but i think something in retrospect that was huge for me was playing on the golf team in high school when I was clearly a terrible, terrible golfer. I've played with all sorts of folks and played all kinds of bad with those folks so I've gotten that out of my system, so to speak.

Absolultely. I Will be playing with 2 guys who are about 2 HCPs and I can't wait to because When I see that level of play, it elevates my game too!

Back