Original Penguin Goes Off Course

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Off Course is back this week with a fantastic show and this is episode 152. Hosted by Dan Edwards, each Friday he gives you a deep look into the world of golf and equipment in a way unlike any other podcast has done before. Today, the VP of Design for PEI Golf and Tennis, Lupe Benitez joins the show and they discuss the brands such as Original Penguin and Callaway Apparel

It wouldn’t be Off Course without some tangents, but Dan and Lupe talk about Pete the Penguin and popular trends. This show has a lot going on and is one you will not want to miss as Original Penguin goes Off Course.

Episode 152 is here and Dan and Lupe discuss the following topics.

What is Pete the Penguin Doing this year?
Translating Trends into Brand DNA
Callaway Apparel
Chasing Popular Trends vs Staying True to Roots
And so much more

You can listen to the show right here, Apple Podcasts or anywhere you do your listening and downloading from. Search for the Hackers Paradise and make sure to subscribe so you never miss an episode. After listening, come back over and drop us a note below on what you agree and/or disagree with from the episode. If you get a chance, drop us a review wherever you listen from and let others know what you think of the show and/or channel.
Callaway Apparel

Continue reading...

Had no clue OP's roots go back so far.

Simple, quiet luxury. Sign me up.

Love OP stuff. Can’t wait to give this a listen

I felt pretty ridiculous when I talked about my first real memories of the brand only to hear the incredible depths their history has.

Love my OP gear, I’ll be tuning into this one later!

I don’t own any original penguin stuff. Sounds like she is not a fan of the the crazy floral that is everywhere at the moment.

Some of my favorite golf pants.

Interesting with sizing. I tried penguin stuff several years ago and everything was cut so crazy small. I've never even looked at them again since.

Might have to consider again if fixed.

Just checked out their websites prices are shocking. As in they appear more affordable.

I would love to talk to someone in the industry about “hey, can you make something for a taller guy that doesn’t fit like a tent”?

it’s kinda hard as a taller guy. Large shirts tend to be short, but XL ends up being giant.

Just checked out their websites prices are shocking. As in they appear more affordable.

I would love to talk to someone in the industry about “hey, can you make something for a taller guy that doesn’t fit like a tent”?

it’s kinda hard as a taller guy. Large shirts tend to be short, but XL ends up being giant.
Their end of year sale was incredible too.

THe OP Penguin was around when i was young......Munsingwear. I need to give this one a listen, i love the new shirts Cam wears and i have a few

THe OP Penguin was around when i was young......Munsingwear. I need to give this one a listen, i love the new shirts Cam wears and i have a few
She talked about Pete quite a bit in this one. (y)

I am currently pivoting away from some brands and they have always been on my radar. I need to fire this one up and give it a listen.

1681478109854.png

I have a polo and a sweater both in XL from OP. I think Im very close in height to you (6’2-6’3 ish) and they are not too baggy at all
I’ll try to take some pics of me wearing them today for reference

I am looking at their website at the shorts.. I dont know why, but shorts always look goofy on websites. Maybe they just always look goofy period but for some reason on websites they just look weird to me. This is not a brand specific criticism. It is basically "all" shorts one website models. There is just something unflattering.. lol

Great podcast. Didn’t know OP and Callaway Apparel were under the same umbrella
as a goat cup participant this year, I look forward to trying out the new adjusted sizing for Callaway gear. Got XL polo, so hope it fits great!

love Pete the penguino
Especially this towel. I think I need to grab one

I am looking at their website at the shorts.. I dont know why, but shorts always look goofy on websites. Maybe they just always look goofy period but for some reason on websites they just look weird to me. This is not a brand specific criticism. It is basically "all" shorts one website models. There is just something unflattering.. lol
I love their pants. Have probably 6 pairs. Their shorts always seem to be a little short. While I know some of that is in style, I do not care for very short shorts. Don't need to make a quick turn and worry about Sacagawea coming out.

Enjoyed the listen and the mention of the bright vibrant patterns etc. Definitely not my style so may look to Pete in the near future.

Haven't listened to the podcast yet, but everybody saying "OP" had me looking it up to check out their history/lineage. "OP" means something completely different on the West Coast, Ocean Pacific was a real popular San Diego-based surf culture clothing line in the '70s and '80s - everybody had OP board shorts, corduroy shorts and t-shirts. It had me wondering if Original Penguin was a rebrand/offshoot!

Just checked out the Original Penguin website - they have a lot of nice looking polos and some great sales going on right now.

She talked about Pete quite a bit in this one. (y)
Listening now, and yes i have one pair of their slacks and they move well during a game. Really a great fit

Last edited:
Interesting with sizing. I tried penguin stuff several years ago and everything was cut so crazy small. I've never even looked at them again since.

Might have to consider again if fixed.

It hasn’t, we’ll at least their regular stuff hasn’t. Maybe they cut their golf specific stuff a little more generous. If your carrying any extra timber you need to size up. The big issue I have with wearing penguin tops for golf is the the cut is so short. I’ve stopped wearing their polos, I have a few sweaters and none go past my belt line.

I love their pants. Have probably 6 pairs. Their shorts always seem to be a little short. While I know some of that is in style, I do not care for very short shorts. Don't need to make a quick turn and worry about Sacagawea coming out.
I can't stop laughing at "Sacagawea" :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Back