Tipping ? for a fitting

VA. Vince

SC bound...
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN: 15.1
I always tip and was wondering if I should tip the pro who would be doing the fitting. He charges $135 for the fitting which I think is pretty expensive but I really have no clue to the average price. This would be for my R7's that I have had for a couple of years. I plan on going to one of the TaylorMade labs within a year for new clubs but want to get my R7's fitted to me now.

I wouldn't tip. That sounds like Golf Tour Trailer prices.

I wouldnt tip either way. They charge you for the service. Theres no reason to tip.

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

I wouldn't tip. That sounds like Golf Tour Trailer prices.

Ding,ding,ding

I asked him this weekend what his price was and my mouth dropped. But I have no idea what it costs. I am going to Golf Smith Saturday and will ask them.

thats a big NO

Ding,ding,ding

I asked him this weekend what his price was and my mouth dropped. But I have no idea what it costs. I am going to Golf Smith Saturday and will ask them.

I didn't realize Golf Smith did it. I know Golf Dom has a Callaway Performance Center (if memory serves, it's around $150). With Jerry, you are paying a premium for him being a master fitter. Similar to paying more for lessons from a club's golf pro than you will pay for those same lessons from asst. pro. BTW, the $135 is what Jerry charges for lessons as well.

I don't know if I'd pay just to have current club fit to me. I would've paid if definitely in the market to buy new clubs. Luckily, right as I was in the market, they had their demo day at 1757. So my fitting was free.

We should wear name tags to GTT. I'm there at least 4 days a week.

I would give him a tip: Lower your fees!

Of course, if you feel you get your moneys worth....

I would give him a tip: Lower your fees!

Of course, if you feel you get your moneys worth....

It's the location. Everything is expensive in our area. The price is inline with most everyone else. The difference is you don't hit into a net.

Ding,ding,ding

Are you buying a new set or just getting a set fit? If buying a new set Golf Smith should be free for the fitting

I didn't realize Golf Smith did it. I know Golf Dom has a Callaway Performance Center (if memory serves, it's around $150). With Jerry, you are paying a premium for him being a master fitter. Similar to paying more for lessons from a club's golf pro than you will pay for those same lessons from asst. pro. BTW, the $135 is what Jerry charges for lessons as well.

I don't know if I'd pay just to have current club fit to me. I would've paid if definitely in the market to buy new clubs. Luckily, right as I was in the market, they had their demo day at 1757. So my fitting was free.

We should wear name tags to GTT. I'm there at least 4 days a week.

I try to stop by there 2 times a week. Usually once during the week and once on the weekend. I drive a big grey chevy truck, we should play some time.

Are you buying a new set or just getting a set fit? If buying a new set Golf Smith should be free for the fitting

I want to get the clubs I have now fitted. Within a year or so I will be going to the TaylorMade lab for a new fitted set.

Oh my goodness. I wouldn't normally tip in a normal priced situation myself unless the guy clearly went off the beaten path out of his way to make my experience beyond expectations. But at that price I wouldn't even try. He better be the best fitter in my area at that price! I guess though like you said in your area that may be average so it's still a big no to the original question.

Fittings around here range from $45-$90 assuming you are NOT buying new clubs. If you are, then the fitting generally comes along with the new club purchase.

It's the location. Everything is expensive in our area. The price is inline with most everyone else. The difference is you don't hit into a net.

Yeah, the further north you go from Richmond the more expensive EVERYHING is. In Alexandria I they charge you for the honor of breathing their air.

Yeah, the further north you go from Richmond the more expensive EVERYHING is. In Alexandria I they charge you for the honor of breathing their air.

But it's such good air; coming off the water and all.

I try to stop by there 2 times a week. Usually once during the week and once on the weekend. I drive a big grey chevy truck, we should play some time.

Usually in black Sonata. We definitely should once I'm back from vacation.

But it's such good air; coming off the water and all.

Usually in black Sonata. We definitely should once I'm back from vacation.

Send me a message when you get back, I will give you my cell and we can play BullRun or your home course?

What an overcharge for fitting, thats incredible that they charge that much.

Yup, seems to be a bit high. I've decided that I am going to go to the TM lab in Maryland and get it done right. After talking to and reading CG-13's thread on the TM lab, I am down. Just have to figure out when to go, probably this winter.

Honestly, it would have never have occured to me to tip for a fitting. I know a master fitter does charge more, but I feel it is a paid for service just as it is a paid service to a plumber or electrician, I would not tip them.

I think that's a great idea! Or you could go to the Carlsbad, CA location and make a week of it!!

Honestly, it would have never have occured to me to tip for a fitting. I know a master fitter does charge more, but I feel it is a paid for service just as it is a paid service to a plumber or electrician, I would not tip them.

That is a funny statement to me. Had to have a plumber do some extensive work inside a couple of walls and through some cabinets and such; the young man that was with him did such an excellant job cleaning up, I tipped him 20 bucks. He was shocked. Said as 3 years as a helper, it was his only tip.

Yup, seems to be a bit high. I've decided that I am going to go to the TM lab in Maryland and get it done right. After talking to and reading CG-13's thread on the TM lab, I am down. Just have to figure out when to go, probably this winter.

I went to TopGolf in Alexandria and got fitted for my irons. Free since I bought clubs, but normal charge is $80. I was definitely impressed with the guy. In case you are interested, his name is Tony Herbert. Real good guy, no pressure, bent a forged club for me to find out which lie angle I liked better. Reviewed the results with me, even switched out the shafts like 10 times, because I was being indecisive.

After ordering the clubs, I must of called him 15 times to get a status, he had no problem with me calling and giving whatever information he had at the time.

I went to TopGolf in Alexandria and got fitted for my irons. Free since I bought clubs, but normal charge is $80. I was definitely impressed with the guy. In case you are interested, his name is Tony Herbert. Real good guy, no pressure, bent a forged club for me to find out which lie angle I liked better. Reviewed the results with me, even switched out the shafts like 10 times, because I was being indecisive.

After ordering the clubs, I must of called him 15 times to get a status, he had no problem with me calling and giving whatever information he had at the time.

Sounds like a good guy Jules, I think I am going to hold out and go to the TM lab in Maryland. But you never know, I may get a bug and buy new clubs soon.

I see my fitter every fall and he charges me $85 just to check things out to be sure nothing has changed. This includes checking all my clubs for loft/lie. I tipped him one time I think, because he had a shaft overnighted one time for me a few years ago. It was one of those times where he went out of his way for me. I think I tipped him $40, telling him to take his wife out somewhere nice to eat. The next time he did some work for me, he did not charge me a cent. Easy way to build a lasting relationship.

Back