Wedges around the green

Weight left and accelerate, thanks that a good thought. And thanks for the posters who gave me practice drills. I'll probably be referring to this thread often.

I love wedges. Around the green is probably the best part of my game - sadly.

I always use my 58* lob wedge on elevated greens but if its flat I play pitch and run with my 7 iron. I play more consistant that way.

I seldom use anything but my 56* or 60* anymore, even on very flat long runs to the hole. Ball always towards the back foot, but less for an open stance flop. Flat bump and run I just close the face way down and line up some what right of the Target line.

Tap,Tap,Tap

For me, it depends on if I have to carry a bunker or make sure I get the ball up I will use my 60. If I have a lot of green to work with then I will use my 54.

Just having one wedge has really helped me narrow down my control. still a work in progress but doesnt seem as daunting of a task as before.

I have fallen in love with my 60* for around the green. I use my 64* for short shots or when I need it for more spin/higher shot. Different lofts for different shots

I am thinking about investing in a 60 degree wedge. I used to have one when I first started playing, but I am learning that it might benefit me on like 60-70 yard full shots that I seem to run into quite a bit.

i use a 50* and a 60*. It depends on the lie and if the greens are wet.

+1000 jmho Repetition, provided there is good technique, builds confidence, and confidence is vital, especially from 100yds and in where the room for error gets less and every mistake costs you more. The old adage comes to mind " if you think you can, or think you can't, you're right." There are as many methods and theories about the short game as there are about every other aspect of golf, just gotta find what works best for you and develop it as much as you can. the method of using basically the same swing and varying the club to achieve the different shot trajectories, amount of roll out, etc, makes a lot of sense to me, but I find that, for me, using just one or two wedges and varying the amount of carry versus roll by technique, ball position, wrist firmness, etc, works the best for me. I don't recommend that for everybody though because using more lofted clubs closer to the green does increase the risk of blading shots over the green. I suppose my preference for fewer clubs stems from the fact that for many years the highest lofted club I used was my 50* blade pitching wedge for most all of my shots of 100 yds and less. Most of the courses I played in North Texas, the "sand traps" were more like hardpan and I could just chip out of them, so I didn't look into more lofted clubs until I played courses that had bunkers with higher lips on them.

I agree very much here. I use exclusively two wedges for pitches and chips around green and 100 and in. 54 and 60. I use my 60 a lot as we have a lot of slope on course and bump runs don't work well as very steep. I think the bounce and technique is key. Using the bounce is really best way to control shot you want to hit adds spin, release, check etc. Keep practice those from back of stance open your blade little and make sure to accelerate through the shot feel the bottom of blade come through ground

I was able to get out last night and hit about 50 shots around the practice green after my range session. It went pretty well and was lots of fun. I'm so used to hitting 8 iron that it took a while to convince myself to accelerate through the ball with enough force. 80% of the shots where short of the hole. A few of the shots went way too high because I neglected to keep my hands far enough ahead of the club.

Question: When the ball is on the back foot, exactly how far ahead are the hands at address? I was pointing the butt of the club at my forward (left) hip. Is that too much? It felt ok but just wondering as I wasn't getting the ball to check up unless I did that and kept the hands ahead of the clubface.

I use a SW - when it's called for. But more often I use a GW, or a PW, or an 8I. I use what the shot requires.

From the fringe, 9 iron if not putter. Anything else depends on the lie and green to work with...

52 degree with decent lie and lots of room for the ball to roll/uphill.
56 degree with decent-bad lie and some space for the ball to roll.
60 degree with decent-bad lie and little space for the ball to release/downhill.

Ding ding ding ding ding! This is how I play too... 8 iron if I want it to run, 60*(lob/flop and currently seeking a 64* too) if i want it to fly. Then adjust accordingly within those two parameters

Just having one wedge has really helped me narrow down my control. still a work in progress but doesnt seem as daunting of a task as before.

I'm a one-wedge person myself.

For most of my golfing life I only carried a SW in addition to my PW (which I've always thought of as more of a 10-iron than a wedge).
In recent years, I went to multiple wedges and all I got was confusion and indecision, so this year I've gone back to just one wedge (51 degree) and I couldn't be happier.

I find that I use my 51 or 56 the most when it comes to around the green. Sometimes I'll go 8i if I want to get it down fast but if I have the space I much prefer the high shot with little roll out at the course I mostly play because I find myself chipping from outside bunkers that surround almost every green. I'd rather fly it a little long than be a little short trying to get it down quick and end up in the bunker.

I'm a one-wedge person myself.

For most of my golfing life I only carried a SW in addition to my PW (which I've always thought of as more of a 10-iron than a wedge).
In recent years, I went to multiple wedges and all I got was confusion and indecision, so this year I've gone back to just one wedge (51 degree) and I couldn't be happier.

I was the same way. I carried three wedges for awhile and just recently removed my LW 60* from my bag. I can hit just about any shot with my 56* that I can hit with my 60* and even 62*. I have a 52* GW to fill in my PW gap (obv). I use it for approach shots from about 100+ in. My GW is surgical from that distance, I use it maybe 2-3 a round though.

One of my buddies does exactly this and is pretty good around the green.

I use anything from a 7 iron thru my 56 degree wedge around the green. Every situation is different and each may call for a different club and different shot. There really is no right and wrong answer.

Another buddy always uses putter unless it is impossible. He is OK around the green.

I always us my 60 unless in really deep thick rough then I use the 56 and I'm pretty good too.

Whatever method you employ, practice, get lots of reps.

Back