The Cleveland Launcher XL Halo Hy-Wood

My hy-wood journey may be coming to a close. Great early honeymoon period with some early shots but it's be hit or miss since when on course. It was great in the bay maybe three weeks back when I was testing it against hybrids but that is just not translating to on course performance. I went back into shotscope and 7 of 15 shots are what I would classify as good, and by good I simply mean getting 195 or more yards, which is the distance I play my 4 hybrid. I'm not sure if it's the upright angle, the counterbalance or the lighter weight. I think I will give it a run at league this week and see if it can earn a spot.

You can see the variance from the average to playing average stats. (Note the playing average is skewed by a downwind bomb I hit off the tee but it's still a pretty big discrepancy.

1689598878708.png

I hit a couple nasty ones with the Hywood at Bryan Park. One I was 200+ out in the rough on the side of a hill. It hits the green and rolls off the back. I nuked it off the tee into the fairway. Just a great versatile club.

My hy-wood journey may be coming to a close. Great early honeymoon period with some early shots but it's be hit or miss since when on course. It was great in the bay maybe three weeks back when I was testing it against hybrids but that is just not translating to on course performance. I went back into shotscope and 7 of 15 shots are what I would classify as good, and by good I simply mean getting 195 or more yards, which is the distance I play my 4 hybrid. I'm not sure if it's the upright angle, the counterbalance or the lighter weight. I think I will give it a run at league this week and see if it can earn a spot.

You can see the variance from the average to playing average stats. (Note the playing average is skewed by a downwind bomb I hit off the tee but it's still a pretty big discrepancy.

View attachment 9193202
Yeah, it was such a great club when I got it but after playing a 430 3w for a bit and getting great stats I dropped the Hy-wood for the 19* 430 hybrid.

Anyone that want to try one, mine is now officially on the block. Not sure what about it I don't get along with, but I don't. Would like to trade it, for basically anything.

Anyone that want to try one, mine is now officially on the block. Not sure what about it I don't get along with, but I don't. Would like to trade it, for basically anything.
Bought a Rogue 5w to replace this that isn't here yet, so of course smoked it the 3 times I hit it today.

I gifted my nephew one of my Hywoods today. He is a high handicap and just broke the 17 degree X Hot I gave him a couple of years ago. I really think he will click with this club.

Yeah… I think I need to tinker. if nothing else it’s fun.

I pulled the trigger on one yesterday, mainly due to the great price. It will be my "tinker" club for the remainder of the season, along with a Ping G400 that I'm turning into a "Thriver" for tight driving holes. I'm thinking of this combination as a package deal to replace my Cally 3HL and 7W.

Bought a Rogue 5w to replace this that isn't here yet, so of course smoked it the 3 times I hit it today.

Same here. I was ready to break up with the Hy-wood all summer. I bought a G430 fairway wood, but didn't have the same magic as I originally had with the Hy-wood. The Hy-wood is still more temperamental than when we were first dating...but then there are those flashes that make you think you can make up and stick together.

Last Sunday I duffed a G430 hybrid I'd just bought (I keep trying to 'upgrade' my Clevelands for some reason) off the tee. I had 220 to the pin. Pulled the hy-wood out of the bag where she'd been sulking for not getting to play the last few rounds. And promptly smoked one right next to the pin.

I pulled the trigger on one yesterday, mainly due to the great price. It will be my "tinker" club for the remainder of the season, along with a Ping G400 that I'm turning into a "Thriver" for tight driving holes. I'm thinking of this combination as a package deal to replace my Cally 3HL and 7W.
That's a good call. I may revisit this and put in a different shaft in the fall just for giggles.

I've been hitting the Hy-wood so much better last few rounds. I'm not a long hitter and its a 185-200 club for me but it is consistent unless I put a crappy swing on it.
I also just bought a Cleveland DST 5i 26* hybrid for $39 to experiment with replacing my 5i (mental issues hitting 5i). Best $39 I've ever spent. Consistently 165-175 yds. Easy out of the rough. I don't even have to think about hitting it. It's like autopilot. And to think this is a 13 year old club.

Yesterday at the range I was able to hit my Hy-wood and definitely see what all of the fuss is about! Definitely will get some more range time with the club, then want to try it on the course.

Has anybody removed the counterweight in the standard version? I realize several have re-shafted Hy-woods with heavier shafts with good results and that the "accuracy" version comes without a counterweight, but curious about the standard version. Among other things, with the counterweight in place, my Shot Scope tag only seems to go so far and knowing that the weight is in there, I don't want to force things. Furthermore, at 40 grams (I got the Senior flex) the shaft is quite a bit lighter than in my other long clubs (Driver has Alta CB 55 and fairways have Cypher 5.0 flex 50s) so taking out the counterweight should bring the swing weight up a bit.

I traded in my Hy-wood (foolishly) chasing a cheap 5-wood at (big local retail) Second Swing. For the nominal amount I got for it, I should have kept it in the bag.

I haven't gotten along with the 5-wood at all. And after working with my instructor and tightening a few things up....I think I could find the old magic with the Hy-wood. Unfortunately, my old one is no longer available...SS doesn't have any right hand stiff models.

Any word on when the new freshness is coming out? I can get a new one off Amazon for $125. But if a new one is dropping this fall...

I traded in my Hy-wood (foolishly) chasing a cheap 5-wood at (big local retail) Second Swing. For the nominal amount I got for it, I should have kept it in the bag.

I haven't gotten along with the 5-wood at all. And after working with my instructor and tightening a few things up....I think I could find the old magic with the Hy-wood. Unfortunately, my old one is no longer available...SS doesn't have any right hand stiff models.

Any word on when the new freshness is coming out? I can get a new one off Amazon for $125. But if a new one is dropping this fall...
At this point just wait. I’m letting my buddy play mine right now instead of selling it. That said my Ping G430 5w is so good I’ll never go back most likely so I might sell it

I just got my Hywood this past Spring and I love it. I was lost without it when I had to send it back for a warranty issue for 2 weeks.

I went ahead and spent the $125 for a new one on Amazon. Final event of the season is this weekend. It's a 36 hole event. I had a great tune up with my instructor and feel good about every club in my bag except the cheap fairway I bought. I figure the second time around will be better. Cue the music...

I went ahead and spent the $125 for a new one on Amazon. Final event of the season is this weekend. It's a 36 hole event. I had a great tune up with my instructor and feel good about every club in my bag except the cheap fairway I bought. I figure the second time around will be better. Cue the music...

Fantastic song lol

Had a few rounds with the new hywood. I didnt any range time with it. So its first kiss was on a tee shot on the 4th hole.

I was pretty conservative in pulling it out.

Got some range time with it on Friday and found the old magic. Hit a cruise missle 220 yards to hit a green yesterday.

The magic may be back. In fairness, my instructor tweaked a small set up gremlin that had me missing both ways.

Golf is so frustrating. It was about a 7 min lesson. Told him what my misses were. He had me hit a few balls. Tweaked my alignment and face angle. Problem solved. Said everything else was spot on - didn’t want me to change anything else.

I was chasing all sorts of other stuff trying to fix it.

Just read that the new Hywood is 17 degrees, 1/2” longer, and a lighter shaft. Might fit right alongside the old one.

Just read that the new Hywood is 17 degrees, 1/2” longer, and a lighter shaft. Might fit right alongside the old one.

Interesting - making adding length and removing loft seems like it would make it less forgiving...

I don't want a few extra yards with it...the current height/distance is perfect for the spot in the bag. I'm sticking with the old one.

Also in that thread there was talk of a 4 hywood at 20*. So perhaps that's why they made the 3, a little longer. The current one is a mainstay, but I will be buying all new ones to test for sure!

Cleveland has updated their site a day early with details on the new woods. Two versions of the Hy-wood now. A 17* with a longer (42 inch) shaft and a 20* with the same shaft length as the current model....

https://us.dunlopsports.com/cleveland-golf

I wonder if the "upgraded rail system", will play easier? I can't imagine that, the prior gen is pretty much fool proof. I wished I had added more hybrids to my set. Something to consider, if bagging these new ones.

Back